Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swype

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah ok, so is it a paid app usually or something and they push out the beta to testers or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I signed up for the beta this morning and got an Account Activation email this afternoon.

http://beta.swype.com/

No paid market access required.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

cormie wrote: »
    Ah ok, so is it a paid app usually or something and they push out the beta to testers or something?

They haven't decided yet afaik. Their business model up to now has been to partner with manufacturers and release it on specific handsets.

It comes with the mytouch 3G Slide which was just released in the US. Think that's the first time it's been officially released on an Android phone.

It's pretty popular though so I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the Android market eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Had a go of it there and its pretty neat. Bit messy installing it as you have to set your default browser to "mobile view" and I had to reboot and reinstall but was no biggy. Though that could be because of Lookout. Still like the normal keyboard (especially sideways) but its a nice alternative. It takes a bit of getting used to as you (well me anyways) sorta forget what you typed and if you have big thumbs and fingers you cover up a lot of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I just signed up to the Beta and got an email with download link instantly. Am I better off uninstalling the one in the OP and installing this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

djgaillimh wrote: »
    In my experience it's costing me between 1 hour and 4 hours of battery life per day (depending on how much I'm actually using the keyboard).

Been using Swype for a month or so now and loving it but you are right, my battery seems to have disimproved by about 4 hours. I was getting about 16 hours with screen brightness set to automatic. Now I'm only getting about 12...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

After using this for about a month, dont think I could ever go back to the stock android keyboard and if it does turn into a paid app ill be first in the queue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

Cianos wrote: »
    I just signed up to the Beta and got an email with download link instantly. Am I better off uninstalling the one in the OP and installing this?

Thanks

I am not to sure. You might have to buy it when it comes out of beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Thanks

I got my beta download email as well and i'm in the same dilemma..

I installed the beta but kept the file I have which is an edited/modded version that shouldn't expire..

So the way i see it is that if the beta expires or goes fully public and we have to pay for it then at least i can back to the file i have rather than pay for it..

More so, if when it comes out of beta it is a paid app, at the rate google are working; paid apps probably still wont be available in ireland :(

C-Shore wrote: »
    I got my beta download email as well and i'm in the same dilemma..

I installed the beta but kept the file I have which is an edited/modded version that shouldn't expire..

So the way i see it is that if the beta expires or goes fully public and we have to pay for it then at least i can back to the file i have rather than pay for it..

More so, if when it comes out of beta it is a paid app, at the rate google are working; paid apps probably still wont be available in ireland :(

Is there any difference between the Beta and the mod version? What's the process to follow to keep the old file, and go back to it if needs be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Is there any difference between the Beta and the mod version? What's the process to follow to keep the old file, and go back to it if needs be?

No the mod version is just the same as the beta just without the need for the email address that was registered with the beta..

Well just uninstall the version you have now but keep the file on your sd card, should be there in the downloads folder or whereever you downloaded it from..

The only benefit of using the beta is that you have technical support i suppose, same functionality in the mod version.
    And then as far as i know the mod version shouldn't expire whereas the beta most likely will, same as the first version..
    if that makes sense!
    God i waffle!

PH4T wrote: »
    Been using Swype for a month or so now and loving it but you are right, my battery seems to have disimproved by about 4 hours. I was getting about 16 hours with screen brightness set to automatic. Now I'm only getting about 12...:mad:

Yep, the ~20% jump in usage under 'Android System' translates to about 4 hours worth of charge on average.

I tested it repeatedly on the previous versions and even emailed them about it, so I was surprised to see that the new version seems to use even more power!

It's a cool little app, but it's not worth a 20% reduction in battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

unbelieveable app!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Yep, the ~20% jump in usage under 'Android System' translates to about 4 hours worth of charge on average.

I tested it repeatedly on the previous versions and even emailed them about it, so I was surprised to see that the new version seems to use even more power!

It's a cool little app, but it's not worth a 20% reduction in battery life.

I'm on the official demo, N1, Froyo.

Swype shows up as an app in its own right in the "Battery use" screen.

It's at 2%, - the android system is at 5%

Well, I got it direct from the developers that it shows up under android system. Used all the betas up to and including the newest one and I've never seen it display separately.

If what you're saying is accurate, it must be a FroYo thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Well, I got it direct from the developers that it shows up under android system. Used all the betas up to and including the newest one and I've never seen it display separately.

I have FroYo but I have the mod version. It doesn't show up seperately in the battery use section and currenlty I have Android OS 48%!!!, Display 13% etc...

PH4T wrote: »
    I have FroYo but I have the mod version. It doesn't show up seperately in the battery use section and currenlty I have Android OS 48%!!!, Display 13% etc...

Here you go.

I never doubted you. Odd though.

And that 54% display figure is even odder. Are you lighting your house with it?

I never doubted you. Odd though.

And that 54% display figure is even odder. Are you lighting your house with it?

I know, it's nuts :(

I use the phone almost exclusively for browsing which may account for the high percentage, but always with brightness usually on the lowest or first setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Got access to the beta on Wednesday and loving it.

Also, 2.1 Desire with Sense has it bundled with Android System, so definitely must be a FroYo and latest beta thing.

Thankfully if this does become paid and Irish paid market still isn't available, I have a few 3UK SIMs I can use ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Got this a few days ago on my Desire. Have to say - NOT loving it. In fact everytime I've tried using it I've found it really frustrating and gone back to desire keyboard. HTC keyboard is better in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I got the beta today and I'm loving it. I'm really slow but I'm improving with time. I find I can use the keyboard faster than my mind can spell so its the typos that take time.

This post iswritten with swype and has taken ages :)

I've been using swype constantly since seeing this thread and while it may reduce battery life, its awesomeness definitely makes up for that. Typing is just very quick, so much so that I'd be surprised if every soft keypad doesn't include it as an input option eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think its better fir one handed texting than the htc ime mod keyboard but that's better than swype is if ya use two hands.

I'd love to have swype in portrait and the ime mod keyboard in landscape.

There's an idea for an app to have any two keyboards to have as default depending on what way you hold the phone.

Swype just takes a lot less effort though, there's way less attention needed to make sure you hit the right keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Swype just takes a lot less effort though, there's way less attention needed to make sure you hit the right keys.

I find the complete opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

just wondering if anyone knows if swype works ok on the Samsung Spica? I am looking to join the android revolution, and considering the spica or desire. Spica is a lot cheaper though, especially on three with just a 12 month contract rather than 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Has anybody managed to delete a word from the swype dictionary, not a pre installed work but one that was added by mistake, everytime i type 1 it comes up as 10q, its a bit annoying, according to the instructions you select the work then press the swype key, then select delete, that options isn't available on my 2.1 Hero, anybody else figure this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

stackeye wrote: »
    Has anybody managed to delete a word from the swype dictionary, not a pre installed work but one that was added by mistake, everytime i type 1 it comes up as 10q, its a bit annoying, according to the instructions you select the work then press the swype key, then select delete, that options isn't available on my 2.1 Hero, anybody else figure this out?
    When it comes up, highlight 10q and press the swype key.That should delete it from the dictionary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

All Fixed, I had to remove Swype and the installer and start again with the program from scratch, now I am getting the option to delete words, success

Advertisement