Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my DVD to Blu...

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Absolutely reputable and reliable, I've had nothing but excellent experiences with them the few times I've ordered stuff (will be doing much more so in the future). They're particularly good with pre-orders, getting stuff out a couple of days before release date usually. They're also known as a more 'ethical' alternative to Amazon in terms of environmental concerns, wages etc... and have a good rep for actively promoting a wide range of cinema.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Absolutely reputable and reliable, I've had nothing but excellent experiences with them the few times I've ordered stuff (will be doing much more so in the future). They're particularly good with pre-orders, getting stuff out a couple of days before release date usually. They're also known as a more 'ethical' alternative to Amazon in terms of environmental concerns, wages etc... and have a good rep for actively promoting a wide range of cinema.

That's good to know. I have since discovered that the reason I can't find this particular DVD anywhere else is because it's not released until May and it's a pre-order on MovieMail, I'd probably get it somewhere else come May but given the bit in bold up there I might just get it from these guys anyway. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭rednik

Criterion are at it again ;), flash sale so be quick.

http://www.criterion.com/sale

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

rednik wrote: »
    Criterion are at it again ;), flash sale so be quick.

http://www.criterion.com/sale

Won’t ship outside the US.

Won’t ship outside the US.

Apologies for not stating that.

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in Disney blu rays their BOGOF has just begun again and this time they have included some 3D blus which are great value. I got 2 today from Zavvi for under 28 euro delivered.

http://www.zavvi.com/offers/disney-buy-one-get-one-free/3d-blu-ray.list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

rednik wrote: »
    Anyone interested in Disney blu rays their BOGOF has just begun again and this time they have included some 3D blus which are great value. I got 2 today from Zavvi for under 28 euro delivered.

http://www.zavvi.com/offers/disney-buy-one-get-one-free/3d-blu-ray.list

That's an awful price, I'll wait for amazon to start their BOGOF.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The Rocketeer, jesus H christ I havnt seen that since I was a kid. Sll sold out on Zavi :(

It's a pity blu ray prices and selection is so poor in stores around my area in Dublin. Seems to be rarely anything good or interesting. Not in the business of replacing my current DVD's upgrading to Bluray.

The few blurays I have I LOVE them, and had the PS3 purposefully downstairs to play them, but since moving house and having the bluray player upstairs, I dunno, doesn't seem to be a format grasping me, when it really should for its quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Not just Dublin but all over Ireland there is a lack of retail stores selling blu ray it just didn't catch on with the general public who are all still very happy with DVD. Buying online is really the only place go for buying blu ray in Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If HMV hadn’t returned from the dead last year there would be practically no where to buy DVDs or CDs, never mind Blu-rays. Bricks and mortar retailers just can’t compete with Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I saw The Trouble with Harry last week on TV by Hitchcock not only did I think it was a great film but I thought it looked great. Bought it on Blu-Ray and it looked stunning , simply stunning I have to say. The colours are incredible. Its just the second Blu-Ray Ive bought but I had forgotten just how good the quality can be on a good blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got a copy of the Rocketeer and watched it last week, girlfriend had never seen it.

She had no idea what it was, but I kept telling her it ws a Disney film and she was freaked. MAssive Disney fan and has all the animated stuff, caught her on the hop with this one.

She loved it, and I had a massive throwback to childhood, many a halloween dressed as the rocketeer. The flying sequences havnt really aged well, but still a thoroughly enjoyable film.

She brought it out to her nephew this morning to watch while minding him (sick at home from school) and she text me at lunch to say he lost his **** watching it :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Got a copy of the Rocketeer and watched it last week, girlfriend had never seen it.

She had no idea what it was, but I kept telling her it ws a Disney film and she was freaked. MAssive Disney fan and has all the animated stuff, caught her on the hop with this one.

She loved it, and I had a massive throwback to childhood, many a halloween dressed as the rocketeer. The flying sequences havnt really aged well, but still a thoroughly enjoyable film.

She brought it out to her nephew this morning to watch while minding him (sick at home from school) and she text me at lunch to say he lost his **** watching it :D

I thought the early flying sequence when they first test it stood up reasonably well.

Great film, and the score is one of my all time favourites. This film was the reason I was excited when Joe Johnston got the first Captain America film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Get Carter finally released and shipped today from Amazon. Cant wait. 12 quid including p+p.

70437_large.jpg

Word of warning for anyone looking to get Get Carter,it's a lazy port of the American release with the awful US dub in place of the original audio track.

Word of warning for anyone looking to get Get Carter,it's a lazy port of the American release with the awful US dub in place of the original audio track.

I'll be giving it a whirl over the weekend. I'll report back then.

I'll be giving it a whirl over the weekend. I'll report back then.

It's mainly the opening scene but it really sticks out and sounds horrible. I contacted WB and they said that they are looking into it.

It's mainly the opening scene but it really sticks out and sounds horrible.

Is it the intro with the music or the first scene of dialogue?

An update on the Get Carter situation, a new version with the entire original audio track intact is being released in the coming months. Nice to see a company take on boards consumer issues and do something about it

• Advertisement

Apologies Darko. I didn't get to watch it in full, but yes, it is the opening scene with the US edited dialogue. It sounds quite funny actually - kinda like each word being dragged out to make it comprehensible. Accents are still there though!

Visually its not that impressive for a Blu-ray but I think thats the film source not being that great to begin with, its definitely better than the DVD but not by a whole lot. The sound I'd say is only slightly better too. Its DTS 2.0...maybe I was expecting too much from the Blu-ray transfer.

Feck all extras too. Only some original trailers and the commentary.

The movie is still great though!:) I wouldn't rush out to buy this version if you have the DVD.

If anyone is looking for a multi region blu ray player, I have just placed mine on Adverts, it works fine. I updated recently to a newer model.

http://www.adverts.ie/dvd-player-blu-ray-and-vcr/panasonic-dmp-bdt130-region-free-blu-ray-player/7088194

Advertisement