Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my DVD to Blu...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Has anyone watched the Artificial Eye Mizoguchi Collection? Think I'm going to go for the set but reviews seem so-so about the quality of the HD transfers. One review on amazon recommends the DVDs instead. The Masters of Cinema Mizoguchi releases prove that HD can massively benefit even a damaged print, but given the age of the titles and Artificial Eye's generally inconsistent image quality I'm tempted just to save a tenner and go SD.

Edit: just read the Sight & Sound review, which concludes with the observation that "ironically, the cheaper DVDs provide a more satisfying viewing experience". Think I'll keep that tenner after all...

Has anyone watched the Artificial Eye Mizoguchi Collection? Think I'm going to go for the set but reviews seem so-so about the quality of the HD transfers. One review on amazon recommends the DVDs instead. The Masters of Cinema Mizoguchi releases prove that HD can massively benefit even a damaged print, but given the age of the titles and Artificial Eye's generally inconsistent image quality I'm tempted just to save a tenner and go SD.

Edit: just read the Sight & Sound review, which concludes with the observation that "ironically, the cheaper DVDs provide a more satisfying viewing experience". Think I'll keep that tenner after all...

The DVD set is the better option. I returned the Blu-Ray set the day after I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mannix1888

Haven't much experience with Blu-Ray. Surely neither Blu-Ray and DVD have no long term future as formats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mannix1888 wrote: »
    Haven't much experience with Blu-Ray. Surely neither Blu-Ray and DVD have no long term future as formats?

Well I have had BluRay since the PS3 came out, that is quite a long time for a format. Internet streaming and downloads are only just catching up now, between internet caps and speed.

Remember, just because you have UPC or other fast internet does not mean that the majority of the world does

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Mannix1888 wrote: »

DVD? maybe not, but phyisical media such as Blu-ray will continue to exist for a couple of reasons

1) People like to collect them eg Steelbooks Collectors editions or just to have the physical discs.
    2) No Streaming or download service can provide the uncompressed High Def Soundtracks, even Sky can only offer compressed Dolby Digital soundtracks and can't even provide full HD1080P Pictures.
    3) The future will include even Higher Def pictures the so called 4K TV sets are starting to show up in Japan, ok they are not hear now but new tech becomes the norm faster these days so expect within the decade for these ultra High Def sets to make it to your local powercity by then, thus the amount of data required to provide movies etc on these we are probably talking Terrabytes, I'm sure these will br provided on some Ultra High Def Blu-Ray Disc future format.

Anyway thats just my opinion, but I still look forward to picking up my Favourite movies in the best format available at the current time which is Blu-Ray.

• Advertisement

Got my copy of The Terminator from Play today watched it tonight, fantastic remastered transfer even compared to the Region A Terminator, lots of extra details for example when he say's I'll be back in the police station you can see both Arnie's eye's behind the shades! Also bits that we didn't need to see in high def e.g. Arnie's Knob at the beginning is now super clear in High Def lol! Just ordered the first Blade off Amazon.co.uk tonight so hope to have it by Friday. I looked around for both these titles in HMV, Xtravision and Goldendiscs but no one had them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Got my copy of The Terminator from Play today watched it tonight, fantastic remastered transfer even compared to the Region A Terminator, lots of extra details for example when he say's I'll be back in the police station you can see both Arnie's eye's behind the shades! Also bits that we didn't need to see in high def e.g. Arnie's Knob at the beginning is now super clear in High Def lol! Just ordered the first Blade off Amazon.co.uk tonight so hope to have it by Friday. I looked around for both these titles in HMV, Xtravision and Goldendiscs but no one had them in stock.

they should put that quote on blu-ray adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Have you noticed the stock levels in retail shops in Ireland is terrible for blu ray, especially for previous significant releases - eg band of brothers, star wars etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hey, Is the new Terminator blu ray a good transfer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

the_monkey wrote: »
    Look literally above your post..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Have you noticed the stock levels in retail shops in Ireland is terrible for blu ray, especially for previous significant releases - eg band of brothers, star wars etc
    Yeah HMV in Liffey Valley for example totally slashed their Blu-ray offerings a while ago. A shame because they used to have a great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Yea same Blanchardstown have done the same - I now get my blu ray films from HMV on Grafton Street. I think this has the best selection in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

the_monkey wrote: »

The colouring has been changed on it. It's very teal coloured now unfortunately but the detail is great.

The audio is still poor, unfortunately. It's still got the awful old 5.1 mix and doesn't have the original mono track.

Worth getting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Yea same Blanchardstown have done the same - I now get my blu ray films from HMV on Grafton Street. I think this has the best selection in Dublin

They do have the best but even they come up short. ET is released this week and all shops will have stock but The devil rides out is also released too and I just hope they have this. Some of the prices though are just mad. Steven Wilson recent blu ray get all you deserve 18 pounds on Amazon yet HMV wanted 49.99 euro for the same package.

Anyone got T2 Judgement Day Blu-ray, saw it in HMV for the 5 for 35 deal but wondering if it's a decent transfer?
    I've a feeling HMV's financial woes are hitting the stores here getting stock of Blu's like The Terminator or Blade which have been released recently and would sell pretty well I think.

Anyone got T2 Judgement Day Blu-ray, saw it in HMV for the 5 for 35 deal but wondering if it's a decent transfer?
    I've a feeling HMV's financial woes are hitting the stores here getting stock of Blu's like The Terminator or Blade which have been released recently and would sell pretty well I think.

Lot of retailers, both high street and online have had stock issues in recent weeks. My amazon order of Blade has yet to ship and Terminator was only posted today after being preordered months back.

Basq wrote: »
    Look literally above your post..

:D haha nice one !

Thats it , ordered with next day delivery !! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 impala67

goodfellas thats movie is brilliant on vhs and dvd with picture, sound, soundtrack editing its just the best movie ever made, hands down!!!

Lot of retailers, both high street and online have had stock issues in recent weeks. My amazon order of Blade has yet to ship and Terminator was only posted today after being preordered months back.

Weird that I ordered Terminator from Play for 14.99 delivered and had it within 3 days, ordered Blade from Amazon.co.uk on Monday night shipped yesterday so hope I have it by Friday.

• Advertisement

Weird that I ordered Terminator from Play for 14.99 delivered and had it within 3 days, ordered Blade from Amazon.co.uk on Monday night shipped yesterday so hope I have it by Friday.

Lots of people having issues with the various retailers in recent weeks. The Universal Monsters Collection still hasn't shipped for numerous people who had it preordered yet they've fulfilled orders since it was released.

Have to say HMV are fantastic atm for both pricing and getting orders in quickly. Picked up Brotherhood of the Wolf, Our Day Will Come, Beginners, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Skin I Live In for 35 euro. Noticed that they had added dozens of recent releases to the offer.

Also ordered in Blade for 9.99 which is a bargain.

Lots of people having issues with the various retailers in recent weeks. The Universal Monsters Collection still hasn't shipped for numerous people who had it preordered yet they've fulfilled orders since it was released.

Have to say HMV are fantastic atm for both pricing and getting orders in quickly. Picked up Brotherhood of the Wolf, Our Day Will Come, Beginners, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Skin I Live In for 35 euro. Noticed that they had added dozens of recent releases to the offer.

Also ordered in Blade for 9.99 which is a bargain.

£10.48 for blade from Amazon.co.uk including shipping ordered Tuesday arrived this afternoon, shipped with UPS for some reason. Nice Transfer I have to say, and a movie ahead of it's time, if you watch the Extras they talk with David S Goyer who says that both himself Stephen Norrington wanted to set a superhero in the real world and after the first Burton Batman he felt the rest where let downs, remember this movie was made in 1998, and is the best of the Blade movies, actually really wish Stephen Norrington would make another movie, apparantly he vowed not to direct again after having run-ins with Sean Connery on League of Extraordinary Gentleman, pity as I think he is a pretty good director.

£10.48 for blade from Amazon.co.uk including shipping ordered Tuesday arrived this afternoon, shipped with UPS for some reason. Nice Transfer I have to say, and a movie ahead of it's time, if you watch the Extras they talk with David S Goyer who says that both himself Stephen Norrington wanted to set a superhero in the real world and after the first Burton Batman he felt the rest where let downs, remember this movie was made in 1998, and is the best of the Blade movies, actually really wish Stephen Norrington would make another movie, apparantly he vowed not to direct again after having run-ins with Sean Connery on League of Extraordinary Gentleman, pity as I think he is a pretty good director.

Terminator shipped today and I cancelled my order if Blade as it still hadn't shipped and simply ordered it in HMV. Really can't argue with their price for it.

Problem with Blade is that part 3 was such a colossal clusterfcuk of a film. The initial premise was brilliant and would have been a fine ending to the trilogy but the studio wanted to go in a different route and ruined the good work the previous films had done. Hopefully if the planned reboot goes ahead Idrus Elba will get to star and the R rating will be kept. If Marvel are smart they will look at keeping characters such as Nlade, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Daredevil as far away from the Avengets universe as possible. Some of their edgier characters could really benefit from aiming at older audiences and if done right could coexist in the same world. A Blade or Punisher or Daredevil film could be made for a fraction of what Iron Man costs and as such there's no reason for them to water it down so as to get famies into the cinema to see them.

Its average. Better than the DVD for sure but they've been re-using the same decade-old HD master for all T2 releases. The Bluray is probably worse than the old HD-DVD because its got more DNR.

At some stage they'll do a re-master.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I have two versions of T2 on blu ray the standard edition and the skynet edition, I think the skynet version has much better picture quality than the old blu ray version it also has a lot of extras including a full commentary track by james cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Jumboman wrote: »
    I have two versions of T2 on blu ray the standard edition and the skynet edition, I think the skynet version has much better picture quality than the old blu ray version it also has a lot of extras including a full commentary track by james cameron.

Yep, Skynet looks good and has a lot of extras. The only downside of it was the gimmicky presentation style of those extras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Yep, Skynet looks good and has a lot of extras. The only downside of it was the gimmicky presentation style of those extras.

Another downside it that it takes forever to load, were as the old version played almost instantly.

Jumboman wrote: »
    Another downside it that it takes forever to load, were as the old version played almost instantly.

and that stupid thing where you have to type in a code on the back of the box to watch the extended edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

krudler wrote: »
    and that stupid thing where you have to type in a code on the back of the box to watch the extended edition

Yeah, that "feature" pretty much sums it up.

Who (even the most die-hard fan of the movie) is going to consider having to type "82997" (the date Skynet becomes self-aware, yeah we all get it, how clever!) just to see different cut of the movie as a positive feature? Needless gimmick.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Yeah, that "feature" pretty much sums it up.

Who (even the most die-hard fan of the movie) is going to consider having to type "82997" (the date Skynet becomes self-aware, yeah we all get it, how clever!) just to see different cut of the movie as a positive feature? Needless gimmick.

especially the night I brought the disc someplace else to show someone who had never seen the extended version, had it in a cd case with some other blu-rays to save space and didnt have the box with me, had to google the code lol

Advertisement