Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my DVD to Blu...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just watched Live and Let Die, my favourite Bond movie:P on BR. Good God the picture quality is outstanding. I've never seen early 70's New York City in such detail.

Sound is just average with little or no use of the 6 speakers but the music really stands out. Its exceptionally crisp, clear and fills out the speakers nicely.

Tons of extras too with a few new bits and pieces over the DVD. Awesome!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My B&N order arrived yesterday. The value was marked correctly and no customs, thankfully. Whew!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

My B&N order arrived this morning (The Game, Heaven's Gate and On the waterfront), got stung for 20euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Blue ray doesn't seem to have settled down as a format yet. I got the dredd BR and it won't play in my player because it's too new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

rednik wrote: »
    My B&N order arrived this morning (The Game, Heaven's Gate and On the waterfront), got stung for 20euro.

Hard luck. I'm surprised you got caught on such a small order.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Blue ray doesn't seem to have settled down as a format yet. I got the dredd BR and it won't play in my player because it's too new.

Have you tried updating the firmware on the player?

Update the firmware on your player and you should be fine. I set up a Blu-Ray player I had put away and it struggled with a number of discs and codecs till I updated it there last week and it's flying now. Discs load no problem and it plays back anything I throw at it.

Ya updated the firmware. I've been told it may be that powerDVD 9 is just to old. It keeps complaining about the BR not being a blu ray but it works in a PS3.

Ya updated the firmware. I've been told it may be that powerDVD 9 is just to old. It keeps complaining about the BR not being a blu ray but it works in a PS3.

Is it a standalone Blu-Ray player or software on a PC that you're playing it back through? If it's the latter then it could simply be a case of outdated software that doesn't support newer codecs. The manner in which discs are authored changes from company to company and some discs will work perfectly in some players and not at all in others. It's can be annoying as hell, made even more so by the fact that a lot of companies won't release updated firmware for older players.

Is it a standalone Blu-Ray player or software on a PC that you're playing it back through?
    It's a PC drive using the software that came with it "power DVD 9" it plays the batman blu ray perfectly so the drive and software is working to an older standard at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Hard luck. I'm surprised you got caught on such a small order.

Not as surprised as I was on such a small order.:eek: To be honest I would have paid just for the On the waterfront set which is superb.

It's a PC drive using the software that came with it "power DVD 9" it plays the batman blu ray perfectly so the drive and software is working to an older standard at least.

Bluray by design doesnt have a fixed encryption standard like DVD.

They regularly update the encryption on new discs, it means they won't play on old players without a firmware update.

Manufacturers of hardware players have tended to provide free updates for all their older players (with a notable exception) but PowerDVD only give you two years of updates with your licence. Its a scam to make you to buy the newer version.
    PowerDVD 9

Support Notice As the development phase of CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version has now ended, there will be no further Blu-ray Disc compatibility updates for this version. Any Blu-ray Disc titles released after 2011 June may not be compatible with CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Xtravision are selling off stock in their closing down stores at the moment. I've picked up a lot of ex-rentals for €3 each in the last week. It's worth having a look.

The pricing is all over the place though. Some blu-rays have multiple copies all with different prices. So it's worth checking what they have.

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Xtravision are selling off stock in their closing down stores at the moment. I've picked up a lot of ex-rentals for €3 each in the last week. It's worth having a look.

The pricing is all over the place though. Some blu-rays have multiple copies all with different prices. So it's worth checking what they have.

The offer is on in all their stores, not just the ones closing down. Quite a few bargains to be had and many of the discs are immaculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

krudler wrote: »
    anyone know if the original version of The Warriors is available on blu or is only that horrid special one from the later dvd release with the comic book inserts?

I have it & it's the Ultimate Directors Cut which was released on dvd
    in 2005. I wouldn't let that put you off though as it looks fantastic on blu-ray.
    Watching it you forget it was a film made in the 70's as there's no grain whatsoever & the image is incredibly smooth.
    Yea the comic stills are annoying and Walter Hill also tried to change it from present day to the future. At the end of the prologue at the start, the film starts with the line "sometime in the future".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PWEI wrote: »
    as there's no grain whatsoever

That's not a good thing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

That's not a good thing :eek:

Well that depends. If it's done right & the picture keeps it's original look, it can look great. But they sometimes can over do which can give the film an unnatural look. The worst example of this was Predator the Ultimate Edition.
    Because a lot of fans weren't happy with the heavy grain in the first Blu-ray release, Fox went back & remastered it again but went to the other extreme & wiped it completely clean which resulted in faces that look unnatural and waxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What are good region free blu-rays to pick up? Would normally have a list put together myself but have a friend over in New York for a few days and was thinking of getting him to pick up 4 or 5 discs. Presume there's no problem bringing them back either?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PWEI wrote: »
    I have it & it's the Ultimate Directors Cut which was released on dvd
    in 2005. I wouldn't let that put you off though as it looks fantastic on blu-ray.
    Watching it you forget it was a film made in the 70's as there's no grain whatsoever & the image is incredibly smooth.
    Yea the comic stills are annoying and Walter Hill also tried to change it from present day to the future. At the end of the prologue at the start, the film starts with the line "sometime in the future".

Yeah but the grain should be there, it's a very 70's movie and New York looked fantastic and grimy in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Got the last B&N lot, stung for 16 euro customs on a 40 euro order. Oh well, still works out at good value compared to typical Criterion prices :pac: Will be sticking with the UK from now on though wherever possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Got the last B&N lot, stung for 16 euro customs on a 40 euro order. Oh well, still works out at good value compared to typical Criterion prices :pac: Will be sticking with the UK from now on though wherever possible.

Wonder if you got them sent to parcelmotel using the Belfast address would the custom charge be less?

Have to admit the posters on that forum who ordered hundreds of dollars worth in a single order were asking for trouble
    Got the last B&N lot, stung for 16 euro customs on a 40 euro order.

:D

MovieMail are offering 2 Blu-rays for 15GBP in their Wordclass Arthouse sale. Several Artificial Eye and Third Window titles available much cheaper than anywhere else, even Amazon. Shipping is 1GBP plus 1 per item.

http://www.moviemail.com/special-offers/3758/World-class-Arthouse-Blu-ray-Sale-Two-for-15/

Anyone opt for the Eureka 'mystery free random BluRay' offer they had up a while ago? Can't complain with a freebie Guilty of Romance on top of stuff I was going to order anyway :)

Yeah I got Guilty of Romance as well. Shame as I already had it. Plus it's not exactly the kind of film you can give to a friend.

Indeed, not a random gift by any stretch ;) I'd only seen it in the cinema so was happy enough with that. Strange we both ended up with the same one as going by their retweets there did seem to be a genuinely random selection being sent out - saw Repo Man and Vengeance is Mine for sure.

Yeah I got Guilty of Romance as well. Shame as I already had it. Plus it's not exactly the kind of film you can give to a friend.

If you want to sell it on I'd be interested in it. Have had it sitting in my amazon basket for months but not git around to ordering it.

If you want to sell it on I'd be interested in it. Have had it sitting in my amazon basket for months but not git around to ordering it.

Sure. PM me with your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MovieMail are offering 2 Blu-rays for 15GBP in their Wordclass Arthouse sale. Several Artificial Eye and Third Window titles available much cheaper than anywhere else, even Amazon. Shipping is 1GBP plus 1 per item.

http://www.moviemail.com/special-offers/3758/World-class-Arthouse-Blu-ray-Sale-Two-for-15/

Sorry for dragging up a really old thread.... and then taking it way of topic but I was sent to that MovieMail website as the only place I could get a particular DVD with English subtitles on it and as I'd never heard of it I wasn't sure whether it's a reputable site or not. I searched the name on boards and this was the only thread that came up, so yeah.... basically I'm just wondering is it a reputable and reliable site to buy from?

Advertisement