Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just checked the guide for this w/e & noticed that RTÉ are showing the Eurovision final on RTÉ One on Sat night. The semi finals are on RTÉ Two & presumably in HD but why is the final going out in SD on RTÉ One?
    Surely this would be the perfect opportunity for RTÉ to demonstrate the superior picture & sound associated with Saorview.
    BBC will have it in HD so there's obviously a HD feed on the night, doesn't look like RTÉ are trying to maximize the potential of HD on the Saorview platform.

The ads on RTÉ have not suggested that it is in HD on either channel.

Generally when a programme airs on RTÉ Two HD the continuity over an ad will state "on RTÉ TWO and RTÉ TWO HD".

It would make sense for RTÉ to also move their Wednesday Night Movie Premier to RTÉ Two, but then it would also make sense to brand the RTÉ Big Big Movie on RTÉ One as TRTÉ and simu broadcast it on channel 601 UPC. Lots of things make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Elmo wrote: »
    Just checked the guide for this w/e & noticed that RTÉ are showing the Eurovision final on RTÉ One on Sat night. The semi finals are on RTÉ Two & presumably in HD but why is the final going out in SD on RTÉ One?
    Surely this would be the perfect opportunity for RTÉ to demonstrate the superior picture & sound associated with Saorview.
    BBC will have it in HD so there's obviously a HD feed on the night, doesn't look like RTÉ are trying to maximize the potential of HD on the Saorview platform.

The ads on RTÉ have not suggested that it is in HD on either channel.

Generally when a programme airs on RTÉ Two HD the continuity over an ad will state "on RTÉ TWO and RTÉ TWO HD".

It would make sense for RTÉ to also move their Wednesday Night Movie Premier to RTÉ Two, but then it would also make sense to brand the RTÉ Big Big Movie on RTÉ One as TRTÉ and simu broadcast it on channel 601 UPC. Lots of things make sense.

That being said, if the EBU feed is available in HD, why are RTÉ not using it & showing it on their HD channel?
    They have the tech to feed thru a live broadcast as demonstrated by their Champions League coverage.
    Not having it in HD doesn't bother me one way or the other, but a half arsed effort to be a "HD" channel & not avail of the HD feed when it's there is truly indicative of their "HD Lite" stance.
    Their view may be that Eurovision, The Late Late Show & the like are must have have for their flagship/parent RTÉ One channel only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE are not going to move one of their prestige broadcasts from over to TWO. HD or no HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE are not going to move one of their prestige broadcasts from over to TWO. HD or no HD.

Roll on RTÉ One HD then:-D

Any idea if RTÉ could broadcast RTÉ One Simutaneously on RTÉ Two HD, while Simutaneously broadcasting RTÉ Two on RTÉ One?

I.e.

If you have saorview you get RTÉ TWO HD broadcast of Eurovision, while RTÉ One airs RTÉ Two's normal schedule. Otherwise you get the normal RTÉ One and Two. (Allowing RTÉ Two SD on pay platforms to have its normal schedule, with RTÉ one carrying Eurovision, of course).

I wait for the backlash <runsforcover> :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any idea if RTÉ could broadcast RTÉ One Simutaneously on RTÉ Two HD, while Simutaneously broadcasting RTÉ Two on RTÉ One?

I.e.

If you have saorview you get RTÉ TWO HD broadcast of Eurovision, while RTÉ One airs RTÉ Two's normal schedule. Otherwise you get the normal RTÉ One and Two. (Allowing RTÉ Two SD on pay platforms to have its normal schedule, with RTÉ one carrying Eurovision, of course).

I wait for the backlash <runsforcover> :o

I would think that that might be possible - effectively to rename RTE 1 as RTE 2, and RTE 2 HD as RTE 1 HD.

However, they do not have permission to do that as a result of (part time) Minister Carey's last act as the Minister (temp) for Communications when he signed, on his last day, the SI FORBIDDING any such thing - only RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, RTE NEWS NOW (but no adverts) RTE jr (no adverts) and RTE 1+1 (after 7 and no new adverts).

To do such a thing as you are proposing, RTE would have to ask permission from the BAI, who would have to set up a number of public meetings to get public consultation so that a committee could adjudicate whether it should be put out to tender for external consultants to study whether it would be worthwhile asking ComReg if it would be OK to go ahead with such a scheme. By then, of course, it would be all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

God forbid if Jedward wins, RTE wont have a penny left next year to spend on fancy HD programming anyways.

I would think that that might be possible - effectively to rename RTE 1 as RTE 2, and RTE 2 HD as RTE 1 HD.

However, they do not have permission to do that as a result of (part time) Minister Carey's last act as the Minister (temp) for Communications when he signed, on his last day, the SI FORBIDDING any such thing - only RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, RTE NEWS NOW (but no adverts) RTE jr (no adverts) and RTE 1+1 (after 7 and no new adverts).

To do such a thing as you are proposing, RTE would have to ask permission from the BAI, who would have to set up a number of public meetings to get public consultation so that a committee could adjudicate whether it should be put out to tender for external consultants to study whether it would be worthwhile asking ComReg if it would be OK to go ahead with such a scheme. By then, of course, it would be all over.

I wouldn't have thought so as i am effectly saying Eurovision Final airs on RTE One Analogue, cable and sat and also on RTE Two HD. While RTÉ One digital airs RTÉ Two and RTÉ two anlogue airs its normal schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Which is egotistical stupidity. As anyone that gets RTE1 also gets RTE2.

It's not like BBC1 and BBC2 in 1965 when many people only had BBC1 & ITV.

So RTE, what possible logical reason is there that Eurovision HAS to be on RTE1, seeing as both channels ONLY have bland numbers and no meaningful names as identification?

watty wrote: »
    Which is egotistical stupidity. As anyone that gets RTE1 also gets RTE2.

It's not like BBC1 and BBC2 in 1965 when many people only had BBC1 & ITV.

So RTE, what possible logical reason is there that Eurovision HAS to be on RTE1, seeing as both channels ONLY have bland numbers and no meaningful names as identification?

Exactly. When The Panel became successful they moved it to RTÉ One. That seems to be the way they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Karsini wrote: »
    Exactly. When The Panel became successful they moved it to RTÉ One. That seems to be the way they work.

If RTE One is the flagship channel then why o why did they not set up RTE One HD originally - Only reason I could think of is the fact that they are targeting sport as their first real source of HD content?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If RTE One is the flagship channel then why o why did they not set up RTE One HD originally - Only reason I could think of is the fact that they are targeting sport as their first real source of HD content?

Exactly, they don't have the facilities yet to produce anything in HD in studio.

BBC does the 'flagship channel' thing too - anything on BBC2 that gets too popular gets moved to BBC1...

Life ain't always empty.

RTÉ Two was selected to become their first HD service because it broadcasts the majority of Sports on RTÉ, over 90%, and the majority of their US shows, which will most likely be available to RTÉ in HD.

The BBC still have a policy of moving successful shows from BBC Two to BBC One. (Why? because BBC One remains the BBC's "premier" channel, e.g. The Apprentice).

As for Eurovision RTÉ could have moved the show over to RTÉ Two with little change in Audience, sadly it would probably have remained one of the most watch TV shows of the year. BBC Three however remains the BBC channel for the semifinals of Eurovision, not BBC One or even BBC Two. Though I suspect that BBC HD takescare of the Semi-finals in HD.

However looking at BBC HD schedule I see no listing for the Eurovision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/programmes/schedules/2012/05/22

The vast majority of viewers in the UK will have access to digital-only channels by now, the BBC are getting a little more adventurous about programming stuff on 3 and 4 which will draw an audience (their fear up until now was that a very popular programme not available to analogue viewers would cause a lot of complaints.) Although they still tend to repeat many of the BBC4 documentaries very late at night on BBC2.

Incidentally all of their childrens' TV will be moving to CBBC and CBeebies as of the final analogue switchoff, 24 Oct. Makes sense as everyone will have access to those channels by then.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    The vast majority of viewers in the UK will have access to digital-only channels by now, the BBC are getting a little more adventurous about programming stuff on 3 and 4 which will draw an audience (their fear up until now was that a very popular programme not available to analogue viewers would cause a lot of complaints.) Although they still tend to repeat many of the BBC4 documentaries very late at night on BBC2.

Incidentally all of their childrens' TV will be moving to CBBC and CBeebies as of the final analogue switchoff, 24 Oct. Makes sense as everyone will have access to those channels by then.

BBC announced that they were rolling back on both BBC 3 and 4. BBC 4 is becoming a high end arts and repeat channel. Dramas on both BBC 3 and 4 have been reduced (though they seem to have alot of new yuff drama over on 3.)

Some of BBC 4's drama maybe moved to BBC 2 e.g. Road to Corronation Street and Enid. BBC 2 will see many daytime shows axed replaced by high quality repeats.

Though with the removal of CBBC from both 1 and 2, you'd wonder what the plan is for Daytime. IMO Children's TV should be part of all mainstream "adult" channels such as RTÉ One and Two and BBC One and Two. Why?

Because it allows adults get a chance to see children's programming and gives children a chance to see adult programming. Children aren't moving away from children's TV because of this idea you need to separate out such channels from main stream TV. Children's TV airing until 9pm and beyond is ridiculous.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/16/bbc4-expected-to-be-scaled-back

BBC announced that they were rolling back on both BBC 3 and 4. BBC 4 is becoming a high end arts and repeat channel. Dramas on both BBC 3 and 4 have been reduced (though they seem to have alot of new yuff drama over on 3.)

The cuts were scaled back later though.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15206504
    'Money is also being found for an increased investigations fund for Panorama, and for serious science, history, business, arts and natural history programmes for BBC Two and BBC Four.'
    Some of BBC 4's drama maybe moved to BBC 2 e.g. Road to Corronation Street and Enid.

All of that gets repeated on BBC2 sooner or later anyway.
    IMO Children's TV should be part of all mainstream "adult" channels such as RTÉ One and Two and BBC One and Two. Why? Because it allows adults get a chance to see children's programming and gives children a chance to see adult programming.

The days of three generations sitting down and all watching the same channel are long gone and never coming back.

Kids TV until 9pm? Is that Nickolodeon?
    Incidentally if Nickolodeon was on Freesat, I'd delete it, it's just awful.

Wonder if there's any chance of CBeebies / CBBC (and therefore BBC3/4) going on to analogue UPC? Probably not as commercial trash channels can offer sweeteners to UPC??

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    The cuts were scaled back later though.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15206504
    'Money is also being found for an increased investigations fund for Panorama, and for serious science, history, business, arts and natural history programmes for BBC Two and BBC Four.'

All of that gets repeated on BBC2 sooner or later anyway.

The days of three generations sitting down and all watching the same channel are long gone and never coming back.

Kids TV until 9pm? Is that Nickolodeon?
    Incidentally if Nickolodeon was on Freesat, I'd delete it, it's just awful.

Wonder if there's any chance of CBeebies / CBBC (and therefore BBC3/4) going on to analogue UPC? Probably not as commercial trash channels can offer sweeteners to UPC??

Yeah Nick goes till 9pm think even later now.

I think it is important for Parents to know what their Children watch (Kind of part of being a parent) and also for parents to be able to sit an watch a TV show with their Kids, Family programming etc. (The Grandparents can rest easy :) )

RTÉ Player to be added to UPC Digital on Friday.

RTE Player been added to upc boxes? didn't know this was possible yet since the horizon boxes haven't launched for upc as of yet (im not a cable customer so excuse my lack of knowledge ...)

RTE Player been added to upc boxes? didn't know this was possible yet since the horizon boxes haven't launched for upc as of yet (im not a cable customer so excuse my lack of knowledge ...)

To be added on Friday. With Saorview Test at some stage.

To be added on Friday. With Saorview Test at some stage.

Will it be a software update for UPC boxes? Saorview Test as in some saorview boxes having rte player installed on it so you can access it via setop box with an internet connection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Aye, found an article here on it.

How will it work? I assume as it is only for 7 days that the services are Broadcast rather then internet based. Thus requiring a broadcast licence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would imagine it is a 'local loop' service over cable. That is the service is provided by UPC, not through the internet. BT use a service like this in the UK. (Forget what it is called).

I would imagine it is a 'local loop' service over cable. That is the service is provided by UPC, not through the internet. BT use a service like this in the UK. (Forget what it is called).

Is it really video-on-demand or is it Near vod? Is it broadcast?

Is it really video-on-demand or is it Near vod? Is it broadcast?

It has to be VOD otherwise it is not RTE Player. I would think it is fed into the fibre directly, not via the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a whole thread on this. It uses the UPC internet feed straight into the coax of the box. The box has a cable modem inside. It's not the horizon box.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587272

zg3409 wrote: »
    There is a whole thread on this. It uses the UPC internet feed straight into the coax of the box. The box has a cable modem inside. It's not the horizon box.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587272

Why only a week of viewing so?

I assume vod on soarview is also internet based, requiring a broadband connection. Sure why bother when you can buy smart tvs and stbs.

Why only a week of viewing so?

I assume vod on soarview is also internet based, requiring a broadband connection. Sure why bother when you can buy smart tvs and stbs.

There is no vod for saorview stb as of yet....id say it will be internet based. Only logical way on saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

Back to Saorview Content Speculation...
    I see 7 new TEST channels on the Three Rock Transmitter.
    I haven't retuned for a while, so that may be ongoing for a while.
    However, I did not see any comment in the forum.

Do they prepare something?

The Ireland Film Channel????:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

i would really love to see a sports news channel, mainly concentrating on our local hurling football etc

Advertisement