Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

.... also RTE have RTE News Now (their fourth channel) which could be put to use to provide much more documentary and news based content, not just repeats and simulcasts (with iritating additions) as at the moment. They have started showing the OTV stuff from time to time. They showed Kenny et al re-announcing the jobs initiative (a different type of repeat).

RTE need to get going on the RTE 3/RTE Plus thing in time for the third Saorview launch on 24th October 2012. Perhaps Rabbitte will do the honours again.

Oops! I forgot about RTÉ NN, but I also forgot to include BBC News among BBC's portfolio.
    It's good to see RTÉ NN being used for some re-broadcasts. I seem to recall back to back episodes of the previous week's Nationwide going out on Saturday or Sunday mornings.
    What really annoys me though is an item is going out live & ends up on one of the RTÉ channels+TG4 & RTÉ NN. Waste!
    Another thing is programmes & news bulletins in Irish being shown on RTÉ, I thought that was the rason d'erte of TG4. I'm not anti gaeilge (I would love to able to speak & understand) but please keep the Gaeilge for TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Few live broadcasts appear on RTE One, RTE NN and TG4. TG4 currently show France24 while all 3 RTE channels show Euronews :rolleyes:

As for Irish on RTE it is the national broadcaster and has a requirement just like TG4 to provide some Irish Language, also it helps as they have to provide 1hour a day of TV to TG4. Economies of Scale, also they run RnaG.

I thought you were including BBC News 24

BBC ONE, TWO, CBBC/BBC3, CBeebies/BBC4, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament. (6 Channels)
    RTE need to get going on the RTE 3/RTE Plus thing in time for the third Saorview launch on 24th October 2012. Perhaps Rabbitte will do the honours again.

It will be 2016 by the time RTE Three will appear.

Elmo wrote: »
    Few live broadcasts appear on RTE One, RTE NN and TG4. TG4 currently show France24 while all 3 RTE channels show Euronews :rolleyes:

As for Irish on RTE it is the national broadcaster and has a requirement just like TG4 to provide some Irish Language, also it helps as they have to provide 1hour a day of TV to TG4. Economies of Scale, also they run RnaG.

I thought you were including BBC News 24

BBC ONE, TWO, CBBC/BBC3, CBeebies/BBC4, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament. (6 Channels)

It will be 2016 by the time RTE Three will appear.

& BBC HD.
    Live Dáil debates & election coverage have had simultaneous coverage on three DTT channels sometimes four if you include TV3. Maybe not the same feed but the same subject matter.

I think both TG4 and TV3 should cover General Elections but I like Election night counts, flicking between all 3 broadcasts, but RTÉ can now move their coverage over to RTÉ News Now. My anorak is put on as I watch the counts and the graphics. (Two feckin' anoraks!).

The Budget on RTÉ Two should have been moved to RTÉ News Now. And as we pointed over on the thread about Digital Switch Over campaigns that telling viewers watching on RTÉ One that full coverage of the speeches are on RTÉ News Now.

Can I include GOLD, DAVE, YESTERDAY, BLIGHTY etc as BBC channels?

I see FF are asking about the tender for a consultancy on OTV.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0214/tenders.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I think RTE News Now have a 10.30 am live bulletin.I was watching it this morning and just before the bulletin came on it said coming up live news headlines and when i checked to see if it was on RTE ONE at the same time there was a cooking program on. Anyone else notice this. I hope the start to introduce some more live news programs soon.

I think RTE News Now have a 10.30 am live bulletin.I was watching it this morning and just before the bulletin came on it said coming up live news headlines and when i checked to see if it was on RTE ONE at the same time there was a cooking program on. Anyone else notice this. I hope the start to introduce some more live news programs soon.

It makes sense that RTÉ News Now would not rely on the RTÉ One schedule and that RTÉ One would repeat RTÉ Headlines when appropriate to their schedule. i.e. RTÉ News Now airs live news on the Hour, this news is then repeated on RTÉ One when the next show in its schedule ends.

It makes sense that RTÉ News Now would not rely on the RTÉ One schedule and that RTÉ One would repeat RTÉ Headlines when appropriate to their schedule. i.e. RTÉ News Now airs live news on the Hour, this news is then repeated on RTÉ One when the next show in its schedule ends.
    How long have RTE News Now been airing live news bulletins on the hour? This is good news pardon the pun so hopefully we will see more live news content rolled out over the coming months and RTE News Now finally get it's own schedule.

How long have RTE News Now been airing live news bulletins on the hour? This is good news pardon the pun so hopefully we will see more live news content rolled out over the coming months and RTE News Now finally get it's own schedule.

Sorry I am saying they Should. Not that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Was the news bulletin on or was it just the text to say it was coming up? Is this when you checked RTE 1?

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Was the news bulletin on or was it just the text to say it was coming up? Is this when you checked RTE 1?
    The news bulletin was on RTE News Now and not on RTE ONE when i checked and the text did say live news headlines coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There was a news bulletin at 0930 this morning with Aengus Mac Grianna in the seat at the end he said there would be another bulletin in an hour, didn't check since. After the bulletin they continued with Morning Ireland.

The Cush wrote: »
    There was a news bulletin at 0930 this morning with Aengus Mac Grianna in the seat at the end he said there would be another bulletin in an hour, didn't check since. After the bulletin they continued with Morning Ireland.

This is new.

I've noticed they show a current affairs round up at 8am on Saturdays and Sundays according to the epg. I wonder is this new as well?

I've noticed they show a current affairs round up at 8am on Saturdays and Sundays according to the epg. I wonder is this new as well?

Been happening a while now, used to be Nationwide. Pretty much repeat of full shows like Frontline, Prime Time, The Week In Politics etc.

Been happening a while now, used to be Nationwide. Pretty much repeat of full shows like Frontline, Prime Time, The Week In Politics etc.
    Why don't they spread these programs out over the week and cut down on the endless news repeats in the afternoons.

Why don't they spread these programs out over the week and cut down on the endless news repeats in the afternoons.

As I said in the UPC thread they should really provide repeat news programming during the day on RTÉ News Now of Current Affairs programming, mixed with their live press confrences, which might go out before RTÉ One +1 on 107 and as time goes on make it available fully as it grows. Currently it is purely in test mode.

Why not produced live tv bulletins that can fit with the Morning Ireland News Bulletins, all they need is to put the Morning Ireland News reader in front of camera in the RTÉ TV newsroom.

But that is sense, that seem to be available in the bucket load on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

At least they've stopped them stupid silent ad breaks (thanks FF) during "Morning Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This from Saorview's Facebook page
    The first news headlines on RTÉ News Now were broadcast on Tuesday morning by John Finnerty. There will now be headlines broadcast each weekday at 9am, 10am, 11am and 12pm, providing even more news material for the channel. RTÉ News Now is available on SAORVIEW, as well as online and to mobile users with the RTÉ News Now App.

http://www.facebook.com/saorview

On Wed morning I saw a bulletin at 0930, maybe a repeat of the 9am bulletin

The Cush wrote: »
    This from Saorview's Facebook page

On Wed morning I saw a bulletin at 0930, maybe a repeat of the 9am bulletin

This morning I saw the live bulletin at 9am. Then from 10am repeat showings of a news bulletins, hard to tell if it was different from 9am.

• Advertisement

Arrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Seriously this post will make sense later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Am I correct in say that any new TV channel from any of the state own public service broadcasters go to the minister first, who then issues a public consultation and advises the BAI to carry out an commercial type one. Then the minister decides based on what he has received from both consultations provided to him by his Dept. and the BAI. Right? and that this system is outlined in the Broadcasting Act 2009?

Now why did TG4 approach the BAI through the expressions of Interest? And why does the minister feel that he should wait for the BAI to report back to him on the channels that they have already reported on????? And why is he waiting for that report before starting consultations with the public and commercial operator for the TG4 services????????

It is just madness. madness.

Trust me, I can see into the future.

Elmo thanks for that link. I suppose we can expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks about which expressions of interest will get the go ahead to launch new channels on Saorview. Exciting times ahead i think.

Elmo thanks for that link. I suppose we can expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks about which expressions of interest will get the go ahead to launch new channels on Saorview. Exciting times ahead i think.

I can't see them coming back anytime soon TBH. Why was the report sent back to the BAI? Why is the Minister waiting for the BAI to get back to him on TG4 channels? Missed a sentence there, I should ask when does the dept expect to start doing what they should have done 6months ago? And what will they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

TV3 had also proposed 3Xpose and 3Today but those channels seem to have dissappeared. RTÉ proposed RTÉ Plus/3 but they where only given the go ahead for RTÉ 1+1.

Other channel still in the process include TG4+1/Cula4, Community TV, Irish TV and Chilli Hits.

But it remains speculation.[/QUOTE]

Is that the same Irish Tv thats on sky channel 201 from thursdays at 9pm?

http://www.irishtv.ie/

eh2010 wrote: »

http://www.irishtv.ie/

Irish TV is a Music Channel proposed by Kenneth Murray and John Brown
    The service proposes Irish themed music videos.

The link you provide comes from what was known as Mayo TV.

http://information.tv/WhatIsOnShowcaseTv/TheSchedule/?programId=257660

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

eh2010 wrote: »
    TV3 had also proposed 3Xpose and 3Today but those channels seem to have dissappeared. RTÉ proposed RTÉ Plus/3 but they where only given the go ahead for RTÉ 1+1.

Other channel still in the process include TG4+1/Cula4, Community TV, Irish TV and Chilli Hits.

But it remains speculation.

http://www.irishtv.ie/[/QUOTE]

Has there been an update on upcoming channels that you could refer us to ?

Has there been an update on upcoming channels that you could refer us to ?

The only update is that the Department sent back the original BAI report and asked them to appraise which stations are the most important. The second report has since been returned to the Department (I think the minister is quote a few posts back).

Any new TG4 channels will have to be put through 2 consultations, a public one carried out by the Department and an analysis of the competition by the BAI. Expect these to begin in Oct 2012 (at earliest) and any new service from TG4 in 2013, that includes a HD service.

Irish TV on Showcase I guess is rented from the Showcase channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Follow the money. Existing stations the cost will be outweighed by revenue, or it will be automated cheap junk (which might still cost more than revenue).

A new station has to attract advertising away from existing stations. It takes time and deep pockets.

So what new channels with any kind of useful content could there be? It has to be paid for.

Most of the proposals to BAI were moonshine. Just like the 2000 to 2010 attempt to have Terrestrial Irish Pay TV.

• Advertisement

Just checked the guide for this w/e & noticed that RTÉ are showing the Eurovision final on RTÉ One on Sat night. The semi finals are on RTÉ Two & presumably in HD but why is the final going out in SD on RTÉ One?
    Surely this would be the perfect opportunity for RTÉ to demonstrate the superior picture & sound associated with Saorview.
    BBC will have it in HD so there's obviously a HD feed on the night, doesn't look like RTÉ are trying to maximize the potential of HD on the Saorview platform.

Advertisement