Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

kneemos wrote: »
    Advertising Standards Authority apparently upheld complaints.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2019/06/asai-uphold-complaint-against-enniscorthy-hardware-store-for-racist-ad/

Hardly a front page story though,even for the Star.

Despite its misleading name the ASAI is a trade organisation not a State body and thus any finding by it has no bearing on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Armed Response Units active in Drumgoold area early this morning. At least 4 jeeps and plenty (7 or 8) other vehicles (mostly unmarked mondeos) active.

May be some other state agencies involved given the level of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wexford Co.Co. are in charge of the 'new graveyard'. Compared to across the road it's a disgrace.

E30i wrote: »
    Armed Response Units active in Drumgoold area early this morning. At least 4 jeeps and plenty (7 or 8) other vehicles (mostly unmarked mondeos) active.

Wasn't there a CAB raid up that way a while back too with luxury cars etc seized?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wexford Co.Co. are in charge of the 'new graveyard'. Compared to across the road it's a disgrace.

Always assumed they were both council run. There's three lads working every morning in the old side however. Don't know if they're volunteer,job scheme,or paid. Saw them collecting for a graveyard committee during the pattern,whatever that is

The new side is filling rapidly though(very popular). May open the other side before much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Always assumed they were both council run. There's three lads working every morning in the old side however. Don't know if they're volunteer,job scheme,or paid. Saw them collecting for a graveyard committee during the pattern,whatever that is

The new side is filling rapidly though(very popular). May open the other side before much longer.

St Marys is ran by a voluntary committee and both catholic parishes is the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

It really is about time these criminals were tackled. They have been acting with impunity in this town for too long, And they are not shy about parading their vehicles and rubbing our noses in it.

St Marys is ran by a voluntary committee and both catholic parishes is the town.

It's a sad indictment when a voluntary group put the paid group to shame in the upkeep of the place.
    Even at the gates the contrast is noticeable,not so much as a scrap of paper while across the road there's litter everywhere and even inside the graveyard itself with the rubbish contrasting well with the weeds choking the shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

It's a sad indictment when a voluntary group put the paid group to shame in the upkeep of the place.
    Even at the gates the contrast is noticeable,not so much as a scrap of paper while across the road there's litter everywhere and even inside the graveyard itself with the rubbish contrasting well with the weeds choking the shrubs.

What surprises you, you're dealing with the Co. Council after all?
    My family from way back are from the North and a visit to any of the Municipal Cemeteries in Belfast is an eye opener. Clean, well ordered, staff always on hand, records offices etc etc. My own parents are buried in a cemetery in Dublin and six months ago the water tap was taken out and has never been replaced, the nearest source of water is about half a mile away and requires elderly people to climb a steep hill.
    Civil and Public Service once again showing they serve only themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scamming, scumbag cun*'s. They've tortured us in the Shannon for a couple of generations now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Can anyone recommend a reliable phone screen replacement service in the surrounds?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

The Enniscorthy By-pass now seems set to open on 19th July.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110577043#post110577043

has all the details.

It should make a huge difference to traffic levels, especially at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a reliable phone screen replacement service in the surrounds?

Thanks

Yer lad across the bridge, beside the old Farrells chemist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

jpb1974 wrote: »

Thanks
    I had iPhone screens done at MS PhoneCare in town. Good quality and fairly reasonable too...

Speaking of repairs to the bridge in Enniscorthy,a quick trip to the new one at Solsborogh today would give councillors an easy solution,they are using a mobile scaffold/platform attached to a lorry to work on the outside of the new bridge there over the existing road. An ideal solution for working on the damage to the bridge in the town and would work out a lot less costly than the €75k quoted.

Speaking of repairs to the bridge in Enniscorthy,a quick trip to the new one at Solsborogh today would give councillors an easy solution,they are using a mobile scaffold/platform attached to a lorry to work on the outside of the new bridge there over the existing road. An ideal solution for working on the damage to the bridge in the town and would work out a lot less costly than the €75k quoted.

€75!!! a FAS scheme could fix it up in a week. :rolleyes:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    €75!!! a FAS scheme could fix it up in a week. :rolleyes:

You forgot, this is the town that spent 3/4 of a million on restoration of the courthouse,left it idle and spent another million or so restoring it again.

There is a good length of it cracked. If it cost seven and a half thousand I'd be shocked though in fairness.

Insurance job no doubt.

There is a good length of it cracked. If it cost seven and a half thousand I'd be shocked though in fairness.

Insurance job no doubt.

Not seven and a half. It's €75,000.

• Advertisement

Not seven and a half. It's €75,000.

I know. A decent years wages for two.

What would they need except a trowel and a few mixes of cement?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I know. A decent years wages for two.

What would they need except a trowel and a few mixes of cement?

I think it's on some protected buildings list or something along those lines.

It can't be repaired by any builder I'd guess.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think it's on some protected buildings list or something along those lines.

It can't be repaired by any builder I'd guess.

An archaeological restoration type deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Everyone’s a civil engineer in here all of a sudden.

davef1000 wrote: »

Well, have you been down for a look at the bridge? There's no way that it could cost anything like the €75k figure. It's clear that a rubble built wall has been moved out slightly and could be pulled back, dismantled and rebuilt with minimum fuss - and expense. I'm not a civil engineer but have masses of hands on experience in the type of work that would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

If its a protected structure you can't really use modern repair techniques you have to do it the way it was back then and that gets expensive

McLoughlin wrote: »
    If its a protected structure you can't really use modern repair techniques you have to do it the way it was back then and that gets expensive

If you take a close look at the bridge it has had modern repairs done to it in the past and looks none the worse for it. Any stone mason could sort it out in double quick time but local authorities in this country have a serious history of wasting taxpayers money..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Folks in 1988/ 1989 the old bridge was upgraded and widened preservation order or protected structure wasn't mentioned then when a lot of stonework was carried out on the bridge, it was when the new bridge was been built and the cotton tree and the old public toilets were removed to allow for cars to drive along the quayside at slaney place. The stone wall from the old bridge to the new bridge was built and the stone work was incorporated or stitched in to the old bridge where the cotton tree was. Anyhow i agree i cant see €75,000 to repair the damage to it. But then again its Ennicorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

davef1000 wrote: »

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Protected Structure only came in 2000.

Advertisement