Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

BuboBubo wrote: »
    I see the timber hoardings which surrounded the old Murphy Floods site are gone, that patch of ground has become a litter infested eyesore.

Homestore Plus on Rafter St have extended out to the back of the shop. It's full of cheap nik-knacks, but there are several other shops selling similar fare in town.

The unsightly hoarding and fence at Murphy Floods largely fell down before the new - on hire - metal fencing arrived last week. I wonder who is paying the hire fees?

A fortune was spent on refurbishing the Homestore Plus premises but they appear to be doing very little business as it's a gloomy kip.

There's madder people walking the streets, speaking of mad,I see a couple of our "ethnic minority" tried to bring piebald ponies into Treacys Hotel Saturday night.

You can hardly blame them as there's nowhere to tether them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You can hardly blame them as there's nowhere to tether them outside.

That's surely a human rights infringement there,if a traveller can't tie up his ponies outside a hotel there's something wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Here's Pavee

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭vinegarhill98

ninja 12 wrote: »
    If only they'd do the same at the roundabout at the Credit Union.

It was interesting watching a 40ft truck and trailer trying to maneuver his way around it last week when there was a car parked there while the owner was in the credit union.

Id also like to see something been done about people pulling in at market sqaure outside the holy grail and wickhams.

"oh ill just put my hazards on, be grand"

and please dont get me started on the mayhem with people reversing across the road coming out of parking spaces at pettits. the town road and traffice planners are geniuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

and please dont get me started on the mayhem with people reversing across the road coming out of parking spaces at pettits. the town road and traffice planners are geniuses

Or that 'junction' coming onto the new bridge, it's a free for all and everyone seems to assume that they've got the right of way!
    I was collecting someone from the bus on Saturday evening, I had to park over at burger mac, a bus eireann bus and a Wexford bus pulled in at more or less the same time. Couldn't pull in as the entire bus stop was blocked up with vans and horse boxes. You then had people swapping lanes trying to get past the buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Free tea/coffee and mince pies in the Atheneum.

I can't see the new cafe/restaurant lasting beside the Credit Union. I have never seen anyone going into it. Even today with the town being busy it looked deserted.

Went to Wexford on the train at lunchtime - place heaving with shoppers. A blind man could find their way from the old bridge to Enniscorthy station by the crunch of broken glass although they mightn't reach their destination due to slipping on pools of vomit. I'm truly ashamed of this end of town. :(

Bruce Betting on Cathedral Street had both windows smashed the other morning. The veg shop and the charity shop had their windows done and the Presentation Centre has one of their glass doors destroyed as well this morning.
    literally a trail of destruction.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Bruce Betting on Cathedral Street had both windows smashed the other morning. The veg shop and the charity shop had their windows done and the Presentation Centre has one of their glass doors destroyed as well this morning.
    literally a trail of destruction.

Always,always,always the "party night" (usually the 22nd or 23rd) just before Christmas ends up with a trail of destruction as the chaps and beer brigade go out for their one night and act like animals. They won't be seen until next year.

Spoke to a fella who does security in one place and they got hardship from a crowd of people who fall into the one night out a year category,all the regulars etc. had a good night but the other element got completely out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Always,always,always the "party night" (usually the 22nd or 23rd) just before Christmas ends up with a trail of destruction as the chaps and beer brigade go out for their one night and act like animals. They won't be seen until next year.

Spoke to a fella who does security in one place and they got hardship from a crowd of people who fall into the one night out a year category,all the regulars etc. had a good night but the other element got completely out of hand.

Gob****es in Christmas jumpers doing the 12 pubs doesn't help either. I think it's time some of the pubs in town started patrolling their toilets the amount of blatant cocaine usage is frightening. If you aren't doing coke you aren't cool seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Have the plans for a new furniture store on Castle Street fallen through, another Premises To Rent sign on the units.

Have the plans for a new furniture store on Castle Street fallen through, another Premises To Rent sign on the units.

That was just the local merchant prince who owns the building at his usual tricks. Anyway, it would only have been stuffed with overpriced rubbish from China like his 'Slaneyside' pottery brand. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

That was just the local merchant prince who owns the building at his usual tricks. Anyway, it would only have been stuffed with overpriced rubbish from China like his 'Slaneyside' pottery brand. :rolleyes:

Or the Tipperary Crystal stuff - it's neither crystal or from Tipp.

Don't understand the advantage of owning so many empty units, must be an absolute moneypit. The old Dunnes building remains empty too. Yet it's hard to know what type of shop would succeed in Enniscorthy. So many shops have opened, then closed within a short time frame.

There's plenty of boutiques for rich oul-wans, hapes of chippers, a dose of hairdressers and a glut of charity shops. Lots of coffee shops of varying quality.

Lidl applied to upgrade their shop, the 'traders' objected. But I wonder how much trading they actually do. I bet most are run at a loss.

Murphy Floods site could do with a tidy up. For the cost of a skip and someone to fill it.

One of the councillors from Wexford was on SE Radio recently and was asked about Boots taking the vacant Dunnes Stores on main Street in Wexford and he was proud of the fact they threatened Dunnes with financial penalties if they did not allow the vacant unit be used by someone else.
    When asked about Enniscorthy he was a bit more vague with an answer along the lines of "there's a buyer for the vacant unit and hopefully we'll see something in there sooner rather than later".

The free local paper has the headline of future development for the town, flood defences to go ahead,Templeshannon to be redeveloped when that's done,Market Square to get a facelift, Vinegar Hill to get much needed attention.
    Over 1,000 houses to be built (a little bird told me that the vast majority will be built around The Milehouse/Cherryorchard/The Still area) That's gonna be a lot of density concentrated in one area.

The free local paper has the headline of future development for the town, flood defences to go ahead,Templeshannon to be redeveloped when that's done,Market Square to get a facelift, Vinegar Hill to get much needed attention.
    Over 1,000 houses to be built (a little bird told me that the vast majority will be built around The Milehouse/Cherryorchard/The Still area) That's gonna be a lot of density concentrated in one area.

That freesheet rag is like a Fine Gael press release. All the spin about the €10 million development between the Castle and the Athenaeum is total rubbish. The man who owns the central piece of property has no intention of selling. Boomtime for Enniscorthy - I think not.

• Advertisement

The flood relief was supposed to start last year,then this year and now next year. Hard to believe it's going to take three years.

The flood relief was supposed to start last year,then this year and now next year. Hard to believe it's going to take three years.

I think they count the survey's as part of the works.

That freesheet rag is like a Fine Gael press release. All the spin about the €10 million development between the Castle and the Athenaeum is total rubbish. The man who owns the central piece of property has no intention of selling. Boomtime for Enniscorthy - I think not.

It's funny how one of the main writers always manages to get her picture in it while attending every opening of an envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

I live in Waterford and a developer down here built an estate next to the dump and had the cheek to have an ad headline stating "A breath of fresh air for Waterford!". Look forward to the ad campaign for this one (..you'd be mad to miss out on this etc. etc.)

johnwd wrote: »
    I live in Waterford and a developer down here built an estate next to the dump and had the cheek to have an ad headline stating "A breath of fresh air for Waterford!". Look forward to the ad campaign for this one (..you'd be mad to miss out on this etc. etc.)

It's an indication of the stigma attached to the place that even after it's been closed for several years and turned into flats some people still wouldn't be caught dead in it.

I see in that Guardian article the developer calls it the most beautiful building in County Wexford - he would need to get out more. Striking yes, beautiful no. And good luck with finding buyers. Apparently very little was paid for it (it was on the market for €780k) so they can afford to sit and have a long think about to do next. A good blaze would be a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Am I going mad or were posts removed?

Two shop units on Slaney St are converting to residential I notice.
    Some of them must empty for decades at this stage.

Two shop units on Slaney St are converting to residential I notice.
    Some of them must empty for decades at this stage.

Good idea, there are far too many shop units in the town - especially ones that are distant from the Market Square.

• Advertisement

No expert but not sure of the merits of a footbridge from the bottom if Slaney St to the Leisure Centre,there's one there already like thirty feet away.

http://enniscorthyguardian.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/iphone/homepage.aspx#_articlebba5d3e6-b831-4aca-bef7-2eb9b832cd7b/waarticlebba5d3e6-b831-4aca-bef7-2eb9b832cd7b/bba5d3e6-b831-4aca-bef7-2eb9b832cd7b//true

Advertisement