Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anything Maiden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Heaven Can Wait was reintroduced to the setlist in recent years and Bruce defo can still sing it. It also popped up on the Flight 666 live album/blu ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Kess73 wrote: »
    Heaven Can Wait was reintroduced to the setlist in recent years and Bruce defo can still sing it.

We do most of the singing on Heaven Can Wait!

Whooo-ooooo-ooo

Whooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooo-ooo

Whooo-ooooo-ooo

Whooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooo-ooo

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

MAIDEN ENGLAND marks the third chapter in the History of Iron Maiden, a journey which began in 2004 with The Early Days DVD and subsequent 2005 Early Days Tour. Part Two followed in 2008 with the Live After Death DVD - the seminal 1984 concert recorded at Long Beach Arena (L.A) during the World Slavery Tour - and the band embarking on their groundbreaking Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008/9, which saw them play to over two million fans in almost 40 countries.

Does anybody reckon by reading this that there will be a re-issue of 'Maiden England' with 'the history of iron maiden part 3' included

DVD/Blueray with a cd/digital download/usb stick ??

I have the VHS at home but no VCR anymore to play it on !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

S Line wrote: »
    MAIDEN ENGLAND

Does anybody reckon by reading this that there will be a re-issue of 'Maiden England' with 'the history of iron maiden part 3' included

I think that's definitely going to happen. It's just a matter of when

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

For those that have Sky Arts tv station at home,they're showing a couple of Maiden Live shows over the next few days.

Live after Death is on Friday night at 23.30,repeated Saturday morning at 10.50

Rock In Rio is on at 16.20 today,can't see a repeat for it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

lord lucan wrote: »
    Rock In Rio is on at 16.20 today,can't see a repeat for it unfortunately.
    It was on last night and I never thought it would be repeated so peeved that I'm missing to today!

Can't wait for Friday night as it'll be early 80s Maiden which is my favourite.

Someone's uploaded the bonus disc (Behind the Beast) from the En Vivo DVD onto Youtube. It's got Spanish subtitles but well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bb2VwBR_fU

In hindsight it's obvious I suppose considering the space in a plane but I didn't realise they sourced all the lights and PA locally at each gig so seeing the problems that caused occasionally was interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

US tour starts tonight, based on this evidence they could be sticking farily rigidly to the original Maiden England set (not a bad thing!)

http://www.ironmaiden.com/the-countdown-begins.html

peter1892 wrote: »
    US tour starts tonight, based on this evidence they could be sticking farily rigidly to the original Maiden England set (not a bad thing!)

http://www.ironmaiden.com/the-countdown-begins.html

Good video. I really hope this tour comes to Ireland next year on its european leg. The prisoner is my favourite maiden song so I'd go to see that alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Set list is very strong bar a glaring omission but its been played to death I suppose so it needs a break. 5 tracks from SSoSS and a nice mix of tunes. I came to Maiden on this album but not the tour so I will be made up when it gets over here next summer. Download anyone?

breffni666 wrote: »
    Set list is very strong bar a glaring omission but its been played to death I suppose so it needs a break. 5 tracks from SSoSS and a nice mix of tunes. I came to Maiden on this album but not the tour so I will be made up when it gets over here next summer. Download anyone?

I'm a bit disappointed in the set list to be honest. No Infinite Dreams for starters and Still Life which was there in 88 would have been good to hear. I would have expected at least a couple from Somewhere in Time as that was from the same era but only Wasted Years is there. And why on earth are they playing Afraid to Shoot Strangers?

Good to see Phantom making an appearance though!

I'm a bit disappointed in the set list to be honest. No Infinite Dreams for starters and Still Life which was there in 88 would have been good to hear. I would have expected at least a couple from Somewhere in Time as that was from the same era but only Wasted Years is there. And why on earth are they playing Afraid to Shoot Strangers?

Good to see Phantom making an appearance though!

Although no Infinite Dreams Seventh Son more than makes up for it. Agree with u on Afraid, that'll be the time for a drink break. There prob wont be a greatest of the 90s so Afraid is a sop to it. Would have liked more from Somewhere in Time but remember SSoSS was the major international breakthrough for Maiden and their most successful commercial album so they'd have to play a good few from it. On balance it a good set, you could argue to drop a couple from SSoSS and add a few from SIT but that would be about it for changes imo.

Although no Infinite Dreams Seventh Son more than makes up for it. Agree with u on Afraid, that'll be the time for a drink break. There prob wont be a greatest of the 90s so Afraid is a sop to it. Would have liked more from Somewhere in Time but remember SSoSS was the major international breakthrough for Maiden and their most successful commercial album so they'd have to play a good few from it. On balance it a good set, you could argue to drop a couple from SSoSS and add a few from SIT but that would be about it for changes imo.

I know they'd never do it as its a nostalgia tour but I wouldn't mind if they missed TNOTB, Trooper, RTTH

I know they'd never do it as its a nostalgia tour but I wouldn't mind if they missed TNOTB, Trooper, RTTH

Those were the songs that broke Maiden in the States so they have to play them there. Its like asking AC/DC to not play Rosie, Let there be Rock and High Voltage!

Interesting setlist - not least for that glaring omission!

But - they've changed setlists before, back in 2010 they alternated a few songs in the earlier shows until they were happy with the set.

I wish they'd drop 'Iron Maiden' myself...not gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thought they dropped Evil That Men Do for a few seconds there. Standard enough setlist, can imagine one or two slight variations over the net few gigs to get s better picture of the rest of the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

No Still Life which was there in 88

:( mega disappointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Think it's a great setlist myself. Have only seen Maiden twice, the most recent dates in dublin and belfast and would love to hear more of the earlier stuff which I do prefer. As soon as they announce UK dates, i'm going to grab a ticket and if they do a date here as well all the better! A slot at Download 2013 would be nice as I really enjoyed it this year and will almost certainly be going again next year if the lineup is even a fraction as good as this year.

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Think it's a great setlist myself. Have only seen Maiden twice, the most recent dates in dublin and belfast and would love to hear more of the earlier stuff which I do prefer. As soon as they announce UK dates, i'm going to grab a ticket and if they do a date here as well all the better! A slot at Download 2013 would be nice as I really enjoyed it this year and will almost certainly be going again next year if the lineup is even a fraction as good as this year.

I think Download is a given as its the 25th anniversary of SSoSS and their biggest ever UK show at Doni in 88. Slane with Priest b4hand anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I think Download is a given as its the 25th anniversary of SSoSS and their biggest ever UK show at Doni in 88. Slane with Priest b4hand anyone?

Slane?? Not a chance sadly, they wouldn't be popular enough to sell it out

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

Steve Harris is releasing a solo album, fair play to him.

It’s funny though while I’m a big Maiden fan I have no interest in their solo stuff.

While I vaguely remember Bruce Dickinson’s ‘all the young dudes’ on the radio when it was a top 40 hit I have never been tempted to lookup any of the solo/side project material.

Are the solo/side projects any good? Would the music have been signed/released if the artists didn’t have the good will/heritage of Maiden behind them?

Stay away from Adrian Smith's stuff old stuff anyway! Actually do check out 'silver and gold' on YouTube and try not to cringe yourself to death before the end of the song. I wasn't a fan of that recent thing he released either although that was more because the vocals weren't the kind I like listening too

Bruce's stuff was a bit hit and miss in my opinion by he did have a few good tracks. I don't know what this stuff will be like though. He's big into his prog rock isn't he so God only knows what this stuff will sound like. I bet you'll be able to spot his bass a mile off though!

S Line wrote: »

Steve Harris is releasing a solo album, fair play to him.

It’s funny though while I’m a big Maiden fan I have no interest in their solo stuff.

While I vaguely remember Bruce Dickinson’s ‘all the young dudes’ on the radio when it was a top 40 hit I have never been tempted to lookup any of the solo/side project material.

Are the solo/side projects any good? Would the music have been signed/released if the artists didn’t have the good will/heritage of Maiden behind them?

Some of the side projects have been quite good. Bruce has released a few albums that were very good.

Accident Of Birth
    Tyranny Of Souls
    Skunkworks
    Scream For Me Brazil

Would be my favourite Bruce albums but

Tattooed Millionaire
    The Chemical Wedding
    Balls To Picasso

All have their moments as well.

To be honest Dickinson solo albums are well worth picking up as he has four very distinct stages of his solo career in terms of sound.

Tattooed Millionaire is a rock album that has a lot of 70's influence running through it.

Balls To Picasso is by and large a slow paced album that was Bruce letting his political side out.

Skunkworks had a big grunge influence running through it.

Accident Of Birth, The Chemical Wedding, and Tyranny Of Souls are all very much heavy metal albums that would be heavier than Maiden.

Adrian Smith has quite a few side projects to his name as well.

His first solo album was Silver and Gold and the band were called ASAP (Adrian Smith And Pals/Project). I still have the picture disc of this album but although it had a few decent tracks I still find it a very dull and cliched album that is very much an attempt at an MOR album.

He then released two albums under the band name of Psycho Motel.

State Of Mind
    Welcome To the World.

The former being the better of the two imho, but certainly not essential listening. Like ASAP I found the Psycho Motel project dull.

Then he popped up on two of Bruce's solo albums (Accident Of Birth, The Chemical Wedding)

His most recent side project is probably his best (to my ears anyway). It came out earlier this year under the band name of Primal Rock Rebellion, and the album is called Awoken Broken. It is a mix of quite a few styles and works very well in places.

Would defo recommend that you look into the solo stuff as there are some cracking songs to be discovered by anyone who has not paid heed to the solo stuff.

The Dickinson solo stuff is worth checking out.

Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are the best of the bunch. Both were a return to a more metal sound, though more down tuned than Maiden. A lot of input from his producer, co-writer, guitarist and mentor Roy Z. A Tyranny of Souls is in a similar vein, but is a bit of an odds and sods album I feel. Stuff that was lying around and eventually they got around to making an album out of it.

In fairness, Accident and Chemical are better than Maiden's effort post reunion. Thats no slight against Maiden's material the last ten years. A Matter of Life and Death is a great album.

Skunkworks was a Seattle sound and X-files inspired 90's alternative rock effort. Its actually quite good.

Balls to Picasso was his first post Maiden solo effort. It was big label and I guess the management/accountants had a lot of influence. Its patchy. Bruce Dickinson rapping!?! But solid enough.

Tattooed Millionaire has a Maiden feel to it. The collective was probably making sure he didn't stray too far away from the pack.

He's an interesting dude. Makes most of us look extremely lazy.

I fear that Harris' effort won't be his usual standards. I suspect he's needs someone to stand up to him to get the best out of him. Otherwise you get Virtual XI. A solo effort from him could get a bit indulgent. But we'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

I must be the only person in the world who liked the A.S.a.P. album ;)

Although there is a track on there that sounds a bit like Level 42...

Bruce has some good solo stuff, as mentioned above.
    I fear that Harris' effort won't be his usual standards. I suspect he's needs someone to stand up to him to get the best out of him. Otherwise you get Virtual XI. A solo effort from him could get a bit indulgent. But we'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

I've read one or two opinions along the lines of 'I hope its better than his daughter's stuff!'

I've read one or two opinions along the lines of 'I hope its better than his daughter's stuff!'

I won't have a bad word said against Lauren. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Don't text when Bruce is singing. ;)

I saw this on the Metallica thread.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20120723-news.asp

Looks like we're getting a Maiden track (Space Truckin') on the new Deep Purple tribute album out in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I saw this on the Metallica thread.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20120723-news.asp

Looks like we're getting a Maiden track (Space Truckin') on the new Deep Purple tribute album out in September.

Only question is who will play keyboards ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

rednik wrote: »
    Only question is who will play keyboards ?

Mick Kenney perhaps

Steve's handled the keys on the last few albums himself although they've been mainly just background music really so he might want a more experienced player for this so you might be right with your Michael Kenny shout. Unless they use one of the 3 guitars play the keys part?

ush wrote: »
    I won't have a bad word said against Lauren. ;)

I'm sure she's a lovely girl! ;)

(Actually she comes across as quite a nice girl in 'Flight 666' along with her sisters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Blaze has not been skimping on the second helpings I see.

Got the new Testament album this morning.

Slapped it on and was listening away, then towards the end of the album this came on.

The other video stopped working and my post was too old to edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Saw maiden a few times at Donnington with Guns and Roses saw them in 91 or 92 in Belfast they were epic.Just checked the tour dates for there American tour. But cant afford to go as it would cost a fortune on flights.So i am listening to the Best of the Beast while i am typing:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

gaelicred wrote: »
    Saw maiden a few times at Donnington with Guns and Roses saw them in 91 or 92 in Belfast they were epic.Just checked the tour dates for there American tour. But cant afford to go as it would cost a fortune on flights.So i am listening to the Best of the Beast while i am typing:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

They'll be bringing this tour to Europe next year. Don't know if we'll get an Irish date but they'll definitely be playing somewhere a short hop away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

That would probably be cheaper for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Panzer Paddy

acctualy, was looking at the setlist there doin on the US tour, its unreal! ****in moonchild, phantom, and aces high to name but a few! will be goin abroad to see em next year, irish date or not. seen em in glasgow, aberdeen and lisbon already! might try germany next year.

Here's their cover of Space Truckin' for the Deep Purple tribute album

http://soundcloud.com/eagle-rock/space-truckin-iron-maiden

Pretty good, I think!

Bruce channelling his inner Gillan there. Good to hear. Wouldn't hurt Maiden to loosen up a little. Ease off a bit on the epic side of things.

ush wrote: »
    Bruce channelling his inner Gillan there. Good to hear. Wouldn't hurt Maiden to loosen up a little. Ease off a bit on the epic side of things.

That's true, I'd love a few short sharp shock type songs from Maiden. I hate the way nearly every song these days starts with a slow minute or so long build up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

A series of special limited edition IRON MAIDEN vinyl picture disc albums are due to be released by EMI starting in October 2012. Comprised of the first eight albums of Maiden’s career, all released in the 1980’s, each picture disc will be packaged in a gatefold sleeve with full colour printed inner bags and the heavyweight vinyl will be cut from the original album master tapes.

The albums will be released chronologically between October and February, starting with ‘Iron Maiden’ and ‘Killers’ on 15 October 2012 followed by ‘The Number Of The Beast’ and ‘Piece Of Mind’ in November 2012.

To open the new year ‘Powerslave’ and the double album ‘Live After Death’ will be released in January, with the final two titles, ‘Somewhere In Time’ and ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ coming out in February 2013.

These vinyl picture discs are being released to commemorate IRON MAIDEN’s current Maiden England tour which comprises largely 80’s material, in particular focussing on the ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ album.

Steve Harris/British Lion is now available to listen to over on www.ironmaiden.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

xtradel wrote: »
    A series of special limited edition IRON MAIDEN vinyl picture disc albums are due to be released by EMI starting in October 2012. Comprised of the first eight albums of Maiden’s career, all released in the 1980’s, each picture disc will be packaged in a gatefold sleeve with full colour printed inner bags and the heavyweight vinyl will be cut from the original album master tapes.

The albums will be released chronologically between October and February, starting with ‘Iron Maiden’ and ‘Killers’ on 15 October 2012 followed by ‘The Number Of The Beast’ and ‘Piece Of Mind’ in November 2012.

To open the new year ‘Powerslave’ and the double album ‘Live After Death’ will be released in January, with the final two titles, ‘Somewhere In Time’ and ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ coming out in February 2013.

These vinyl picture discs are being released to commemorate IRON MAIDEN’s current Maiden England tour which comprises largely 80’s material, in particular focussing on the ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ album.

I used to collect Picture Discs in the late 80's/early 90's then i just fcukin gave up when i found out that some releases were limited to maybe 50,000.

What's the point in that, i prefered when it was limited to a couple of thousand at most, my local record store always sorted me out

Steve Harris/British Lion is now available to listen to over on www.ironmaiden.com

I had a listen. While it isn't bad, it's not the kind of stuff I'd listen to. The song Judas is good but I don't like the guy's voice. Thank God they streamed it as I probably would have bought it and listened to it twice and then never again.

On a different note, see they're headlining Donnington again next year as part of the Maiden England tour. More dates to be announced although i wouldn't hold my breath for an Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

It aint good imho, the vocalist is terrible and the bass is too loud and over powers everything else, this could just be the streaming quality though...

Advertisement