Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anything Maiden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Who's "H"?

Adrian Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

trey99 wrote: »
    it was bruce who brought jan into the band in the first place.
    he worked with bruce with his solo albums.

Only the first one (Tattooed Millionaire) which was released while Bruce was still in Maiden. By the time he released his second album, he had left the band and Janick had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Thought I might as well post this here:

http://www.thefinalfrontiergame.com/

It's a Final Frontier game, kinda like an updated virsion of Astroids. It's pretty meh though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

So the final frontier has leaked, anyone given it a listen?

Nope I'm avoiding the leak. Am happy to wait until Friday to get the album and listen to it then.

They almost got it out on time for my birthday on Thursday. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

grimm2005 wrote: »
    So the final frontier has leaked, anyone given it a listen?

It is very good, much better than AMOLAD imo. Where the Wild Winds Blow is another Maiden epic. Coming Home, Isle of Avalon and the man who would be king are great songs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

It's on the way to me from Sendit, think I'll wait til it arrives. :D

Where can you get a listen?

(Don't worry, I'll be buying it Friday anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Where can you get a listen?

(Don't worry, I'll be buying it Friday anyway!)

rapidshare. can't give a direct link as it would be against charter (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I've had one listen of the new cd, and i've completely forgotten the whole thing. Not one memorable track. It's definitely worse than the last two albums and nowhere approaching something like Brave New World or the older stuff.

Actually, scratch what I've said above somewhat, the first "track" is good.
    Satellite 15 is pretty cool. You wouldn't think you were listening to a Maiden album when you hear it, and it's a nice break from their usual formulaic intros of late (clean guitar + bass arpeggio stuff) It does drag on a fair bit though..

The final frontier itself is quite energetic, but not a very good indication of what's to come later on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

cant wait for the new album. like the neww song and concert was great last month that was 7th time seeing them there amazing live i must say :) heading to ozzfest in sept so cant wait for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Maiden dont write bad songs imo, While not an amazingly brillent album I find myself liking the songs more and more after each and every listen. Very much like the tracks they pre-released. The album seems to have a freshness and a swagger thats great on the ear.

wandatowell's quick quote review............. "great f_cking album"

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

I've had one listen of the new cd, and i've completely forgotten the whole thing. Not one memorable track. It's definitely worse than the last two albums and nowhere approaching something like Brave New World or the older stuff.

Actually, scratch what I've said above somewhat, the first "track" is good.
    Satellite 15 is pretty cool. You wouldn't think you were listening to a Maiden album when you hear it, and it's a nice break from their usual formulaic intros of late (clean guitar + bass arpeggio stuff) It does drag on a fair bit though..

The final frontier itself is quite energetic,but not a very good indication of what's to come later on the album.

Couldnt disagree with this more...there are some good tracks on this album, When the Wind Blows is an instant classic imho of course, but hey...each to our own i spose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Listened to it earlier. Pretty darn good, as someone mentioned above, a LOT better than Matter of Life and Death imo. A lot of very long songs (although that said Satellite 15.... The Final Frontier is basically 2 completely different songs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

marty2002 wrote: »
    Couldnt disagree with this more...there are some good tracks on this album, When the Wind Blows is an instant classic imho of course, but hey...each to our own i spose!

I'll be listening to it again, in case it's a grower. It just didn't leave any initial impression on me at all, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Got the new album yesterday, gotta say after hearing El Dorado my hopes for this album dropped.. but I love it :D

Mother of Mercy I just can't stop listening to

Excellent album and just gets better the more you listen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's a good album, not a great one IMO

Mother of Mercy is my fav track so far, but that may change with more plays.

Totally freaked out by opener Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, unlike anything i've heard from Maiden before, especially album opener, don't think i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

was bored when i first listened to it but now its growing on me

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hopefully will have the new CD by Friday, though doubt Sendit are that quick.

As an aside, I notice much of Iron Maiden's CD back catalogue are on Sendit for £4.89 (free delivery).
    http://www.sendit.com/cd/iron-maiden/the-final-frontier/artist/Iron+Maiden.content#top

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

scudzilla wrote: »
    It's a good album, not a great one IMO

Mother of Mercy is my fav track so far, but that may change with more plays.

Totally freaked out by opener Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, unlike anything i've heard from Maiden before, especially album opener, don't think i like it

I downloaded it, and I have to say I'm not really that impressed with it. The opening song was quite good in parts, but I honestly expected the first part to be very exciting, and have a lot of unsual lead riffs that might conjour up sci-fi images. I've listened to it three times and I find it to be somewhat underwhelming and a bit boring unfortunately.:( AMOLAD was a much better album, but even it had songs I wasn't mad about either. Another thing I noticed is that although there are three guitarists, at times it just feels like there are just two. I think they should've utilised the sound so that you can hear all three guitars at the same time, or have some riffs where there are lead parts in the background of two different tones.

The cover is actually very colourfull and eye catching, but the problem is that I'm not really liking this new Eddie that much. I much prefer the Eddie of old, with the brownish corpse like skin, skull eyes with electricity in them and those yellowed teeth.:D Maybe I ought to give it a few more listens.:confused:

• Advertisement

Got it this morning, and it is going on for it's first play in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

The cover is actually very colourfull and eye catching, but the problem is that I'm not really liking this new Eddie that much. I much prefer the Eddie of old, with the brownish corpse like skin, skull eyes with electricity in them and those yellowed teeth.:D Maybe I ought to give it a few more listens.:confused:

A few more listens won't help the artwork ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RayCon wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reply of the year on boards.ie.

Just into my second listen now.

First impressions are a bit mixed for me. I had listened to Dance Of Death and A Matter Of Life And Death quite a bit this week, just so I could put the new album up against them with them fresh in my mind. I saw no point trying to compare it to the Maiden albums that I grew up with in the early to mid 1980's, as I would not expect an album from them now that beats the earlier stuff.

So back to the new album.

I loved the Satellite 15 intro. It is not what I expected and just works so well with The Final Frontier which follows it.

So a good start top the album.

Next came El Dorado which has grown on me somewhat since it first came out. Not a classic Maiden song, but not awful either.

Mother Of Mercy continues what is now a trend with Maiden. Slow quiet starts to songs, which build as the song goes on. Decent song.

Coming Home. For some reason this sounds more like a Dickinson solo song than a Maiden track. A bit plodding but not a bad song.

The Alchemist. This song reminds me of the like of Tailgunner or Be Quick Or Be Dead. One of the more up tempo songs on the album. Catchy when listening to it, but a bit nothing new.

Isle Of Avalon. Long slow build up again. Turns into quite a decnt track, the word decent popping up a lot on the first listen.

Starblind Again the slow build up. This sounds like it was written around the time of AMOLAD whilst listening to Deep Purple if that makes any sense. Trudges along, is well played, but I just found it very very boring.

The Talisman. Hmm another quiet and slow start to a song. I was not too optimistic at this point, then suddenly my speakers erupted with roaring guitars and a galloping bass. This is more like it. Maiden sounding like they are twenty years younger than they are.

The Man Who Would Be King Another slow start but like the song before it, it really builds into a powerhouse of a track. Album seems to be ending quite strongly at this point.

When The Wild Wind Blows Yet another slow start, but yet again it is to build into a very catchy track, and may even be the strongest track on the album. Great track to end an album.

So my impression after one listen was that the album started well enough for the first three tracks, then faded somewhat in the middle, but ended very strong with the last three tracks being the best upon my first listen, plus those three final tracks clock in at over 28 minutes.

Anyone expecting Maiden to sound anything like their first six or seven studio albums will not find anything like that here, Maiden are a very different band now, with the prog element that has been there for the last decade still going strong.

The new album does sound like one that will take a few listens to grow as it is quite a layered album, but I cannot shake the feeling that it might sound a lot better with two or three tracks missing, which would still have it clocking it at close to the hour mark. I doubt if it will convert any non Maiden fans to the cause though.

Will most likely go down as a good album but not a great one. In Maiden terms I can think of four or five of their albums that it is probably better than, but nine or ten that are better than it.

For the collectors and/or old fogies out there:

I was in HMV Blanch at lunch time and they had one copy left of the double vinyl picture disc version (which I promptly bought). It was €21.99, which is considerably cheaper than Amazon's online price of £25.73/approx. €31.50. It's £24.99 + £2.50 (I presume standard delivery charge is still the same) with HMV online which comes to about €33.50!

Like I said, I got the only one that HMV Blanch appeared to have left, but it might be worth checking out other HMVs if you're looking for this version of it.

blastman wrote: »
    For the collectors and/or old fogies out there:

I was in HMV Blanch at lunch time and they had one copy left of the double vinyl picture disc version (which I promptly bought). It was €21.99, which is considerably cheaper than Amazon's online price of £25.73/approx. €31.50. It's £24.99 + £2.50 (I presume standard delivery charge is still the same) with HMV online which comes to about €33.50!

Like I said, I got the only one that HMV Blanch appeared to have left, but it might be worth checking out other HMVs if you're looking for this version of it.

I wonder if that HMV put the wrong price on the picture disc? That is the same price as HMV Limerick have on the metal box version of the CD, but much cheaper than the price they said they sell the picture disc at.

As for Amazon, there is no postage to Ireland on any item that price.

Have had three listens to the album now. It is a grower, but I still feel that with three songs trimmed from it, it would make for a better album. Some of the mid section lets it down somewhat.

Probably a 7/10 album as it is, if you are a Maiden fan.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I wonder if that HMV put the wrong price on the picture disc? That is the same price as HMV Limerick have on the metal box version of the CD, but much cheaper than the price they said they sell the picture disc at.

As for Amazon, there is no postage to Ireland on any item that price.

Do you mean HMV put the wrong price on the pic disc on the website or...?

That Amazon price doesn't include postage, because there's none as you rightly said. That's the price when they use the Irish VAT rate. I used XE for the currency exchanges and rounded up to the nearest 50 cent to allow for a slightly worse real-world rate and fees, etc.

On my first listen. Not bad but not great but most people seem to think it;s a grower so we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

RayCon wrote: »

HAHA. What I meant is that the cover is pretty good, but I should also give the album itself a few more listens.;)

Advertisement