Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭RayCon

Interesting take on how to make money out of music piracy

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-music-piracy-touring-gold/

Thats a bit pants ..... bands have always played where their records sell best (or in this case - where their music is listened to) ... it's hardly innovative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

RayCon wrote: »
    Thats a bit pants ..... bands have always played where their records sell best (or in this case - where their music is listened to) ... it's hardly innovative.

I don't think that's the point. It's meant to show that Maiden don't throw a hissy fit about people downloading their stuff and instead of generating negative press for themselves by being firmly against piracy, they accept it exists, that you can't get rid of it and they actually use it as an advantage for themselves. They can actually make more money out of their live shows than their records alone, so knowing where there biggest markets are, in terms of legal and illegal sales/downloads, they can turn piracy somewhat to their advantage. It's actually a pretty clever way of dealing with piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well it turns out Iron Maiden using piracy data to plans tours was wrong

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/turns-out-iron-maiden-never-used-piracy-data-to-plan-tours
    turns out the story was 100% bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

Reckon Katy Perry likes a bit of Powerslave / Somewhere back in time ???.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't know if Katy Perry likes Powerslave ( will ask her when she wakes up :P)

But I love a bit of Powerslave.

And I also loved Testament's cover of the title track from the aforementioned Maiden album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Bruce was on the BBC this morning being interviewed about a hybrid aircraft he has invested in and is promoting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26337673

extract:
    All of which will be welcome news to one of the project's high-profile investors, Bruce Dickinson.

He is one of those people who can't stop achieving stuff.

As if being the lead singer of one of the world's most successful and enduring rock bands, Iron Maiden, was not enough, he is also an airline pilot, businessman, and is investing in this project.

"It's a game changer, in terms of things we can have in the air and things we can do," he says.

"The airship has always been with us, it's just been waiting for the technology to catch up."

He wants to sell them and he'll be very good at it. As we chat in the hangar, he goes through its credentials.

It is 70% greener than a cargo plane, he says. It doesn't need a runway, just two crew. And it can plonk 50 tonnes anywhere in the world you like, which is 50 times more than a helicopter.

He wants to drum up publicity with the kind of trip Richard Branson would dream up. A non-stop flight around the world - twice.

"It seizes my imagination. I want to get in this thing and fly it pole to pole," he says.

"We'll fly over the Amazon at 20ft, over some of the world's greatest cities and stream the whole thing on the internet."

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭trey99

So from what I hear, there is big chance for maiden to do a Dublin show this year! However, if it does happen its going to be short notice! Hopefully it will be in between soisphere like last time at the rds, last time they played was very well received and attracted 14 thousand maiden fans even after H&H couldn't play and that's compared to the 8500 fans at the point on previous years, so their fan base is growing big here, fingers crossed,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

trey99 wrote: »
    So from what I hear, there is big chance for maiden to do a Dublin show this year! However, if it does happen its going to be short notice! Hopefully it will be in between soisphere like last time at the rds, last time they played was very well received and attracted 14 thousand maiden fans even after H&H couldn't play and that's compared to the 8500 fans at the point on previous years, so their fan base is growing big here, fingers crossed,

8,500 at The Point and sold out, could easily have sold 12k+ tickets

And from what you hear? What source is this?

Just looked at their tour dates, an Irish gig aint gonna happen

Playing France on the 3rd and Soni UK on the 5th, they won't play the 4th as it would mean 3 consecutive nights and wont play after the 5th as will finish the tour in UK on home ground

scudzilla wrote: »
    8,500 at The Point and sold out, could easily have sold 12k+ tickets

And from what you hear? What source is this?

Friend of mine, his dad has talked to nicko on many occasions and is pretty much a regular visitor to a certain pub he never mentions where nicko drinks the odd time, believe it or not his fav drink is Guinness, I knew the rds gig was gonna happen few months before it was announced because of him, same for matter of life and death, final frontier was a surprise to me, no word on that one nor dance of death, back to the point, now he told me once that the manager rod Isn't very fond of doing Dublin, and he mentioned this in person at Bruce's 50th birthday bash cause I was the one who asked him if maiden would return, I entered that competition to go and won, was a few years back in between matter of life and death so many ppl won was class night, plus few gigs in other countries which was included, so again back to the point, they wanna play here again, but it will be a late date and it will be around knewborth fest or close to, btw they have done one night in some countries and the next day another, so yes it seems it will happen but just when and how will they surprise us? And I don't think it will be the 02, there was talk of a venue change with him, something about the 02 being over priced this was how the conversation started btw, so if he was talking of a venue change then it must mean something? Yes? So last words here are, Where will it be??
    Picture below was taking at the rds, ppl mistake it for 15 thousand but it was 28

• Advertisement

Just looked at their tour dates, an Irish gig aint gonna happen

Playing France on the 3rd and Soni UK on the 5th, they won't play the 4th as it would mean 3 consecutive nights and wont play after the 5th as will finish the tour in UK on home ground
    Technically uk isn't home ground, finishing in Ireland would work better dont you think, easier flying back to America? Where most live

Technically uk isn't home ground, finishing in Ireland would work better dont you think, easier flying back to America? Where most live

No, they're a British band, so technically the UK IS home ground for them, regardless of where they're living now, and what do ya mean easier flying back to U.S from Ireland?? It's much the same, and would cost a fortune ferrying the gear over here then back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

All Maiden gigs in Dublin to date have been slow sellers so if there is to be a gig, they'd want to announce it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭RayCon

Lets face it lads ... Maiden aren't playing Ireland in 2014. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Friend of mine, his dad has talked to nicko on many occasions and is pretty much a regular visitor to a certain pub he never mentions where nicko drinks the odd time

That's good enough for me. I'm gonna get my sleeping bag and start queuing outside Ticketmaster :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

You'll only be about eighth in the queue, I'm there already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Queue for tickets? Do people in Ireland still do that?

ush wrote: »

Final frontier had people queuing from 6am till 9am outside Stephens green ad other ticket masters around Ireland, Irish fans don't like sitting at gigs, they prefer to stand hence my standing tickets sell out in a few days, and 02 has 6500 seats and 8000 standing

Can't you just buy tickets online?

Can't you just buy tickets online?

yeah....if the gig existed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah....if the gig existed :rolleyes:

I was talking about buying tickets in general. ;)

Did you not see the queues all over the country for the line dancing Garth Brooks shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

People really only queue for gigs that will sell out quickly (Maiden never gonna fall into that category here).

Ticketmaster's servers always crash or can't handle the volume of requests and some people think they have a better chance if they go to an outlet and queue.

I've no idea of knowing if it's a better strategy or not as it's rare that a gig I'm looking to go to is going to sell out in 10 minutes or whatever.

Also, if you pay with cash at an outlet you don't get charged a credit card fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

People really only queue for gigs that will sell out quickly (Maiden never gonna fall into that category here).

Ticketmaster's servers always crash or can't handle the volume of requests and some people think they have a better chance if they go to an outlet and queue.

I've no idea of knowing if it's a better strategy or not as it's rare that a gig I'm looking to go to is going to sell out in 10 minutes or whatever.

Also, if you pay with cash at an outlet you don't get charged a credit card fee!

A little off topic but, yesterday I bought two tickets to see Katy Perry for my OH snd daughter. She is playing four nights here so securing them was no big deal as I was quick off the mark. $200 each with good views.

Going back a year, I tried to get a ticket to see the Lions play the Wallabies. All details entered, signed in, as nine o'clock ticked, bang I hit the buy button - sold out. I tried another price ticket - sold out. How the fcuk can a 54,000 seated stadium sell out within thirty seconds?
    I got a ticket to see them play against the Queensland Reds no problem.

So yesterday I did a search and this is what I found.

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertainment/music/why-you-cant-get-a-ticket-to-your-favourite-concert/story-e6frfn09-1226634119343

What chance have you got seeing the big shows or events? The 'man' has certainly sewn this up nicely.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Did you not see the queues all over the country for the line dancing Garth Brooks shows.

Garth Brooks? Oh ****ing hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

as far as I remember standing tickets didn't sell out for quite a while for the Final Frontier gig and that was when Heaven and Hell were supporting as well. I got mine on the morning of them going on sale to be safe (online, naturally) but as jack said Maiden are never going to fall into that "sell out instantly" category.

Garth Brooks? Oh ****ing hell...

Bet that you are going :pac:

Kess73 wrote: »
    Bet that you are going :pac:

No. I'll be heading to a shrine somewhere to watch moving statues. Would probably have to queue for tickets for that too.

Might go to see Maiden in Bergen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

No. I'll be heading to a shrine somewhere to watch moving statues. Would probably have to queue for tickets for that too.

Might go to see Maiden in Bergen though.

that would be a class one relic, not cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

No, no, a class 1 would be raising the dead, something like that.... :)

Advertisement