Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 is here - summary of new features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Providing they use one of the 7 services Apple allow.

Its kinda weird.The actual app get frozen in the RAM but doesnt actually run.Only the service runs until you switch back to it, then it unfreezes.

Hmmm.. I wonder if it'll blow up if I want it to operate 2 GPS apps at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

connundrum wrote: »
    Hmmm.. I wonder if it'll blow up if I want it to operate 2 GPS apps at the same time.
    Investigate this and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Was just thinking there about the hype the IPhone 4 has created and then not created when it was released yesterday. The leaks kinda ruined it and the 8 features? well you can live without them if you already have a 3gs.

So, reading the macrumour blog yesterdy, Steve Jobs thanked the team for all the work put in over the last 18 months - So, that means they are already 6 months into the development of the Iphone 5. So whats there to expect this time next year? bigger screen, faster, thiner, better battery, better camera?

Has the IPhone reached the top of the curve? Can it really get any better?

It seems with the new 2 year contracts, the difference year on year won't be that different. So people with a 3gs will wait until iphone 5 is released to see a big difference similar to the 3g to iphone 4 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

nulabert wrote: »
    So whats there to expect this time next year? bigger screen, faster, thiner, better battery, better camera?

Has the IPhone reached the top of the curve? Can it really get any better?

I think your spot on there, cant really see where they'll go from here. They have a design and interface that works well, no point messing around with screen size (any bigger and the phone would be to big, smaller and it would be hard to use).

Next iphone will probably just be thinner, faster, memory bump and 4G network compatible. What else could they do at this stage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mgsrocks wrote: »
    I think your spot on there, cant really see where they'll go from here. They have a design and interface that works well, no point messing around with screen size (any bigger and the phone would be to big, smaller and it would be hard to use).

Next iphone will probably just be thinner, faster, memory bump and 4G network compatible. What else could they do at this stage?

Can I say "Add a freakin' Radio" for all the usual whingers.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There will always be new technology coming around, hdmi out, integrated hd pico projector, LTE, microwave oven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm going to upgrading as soon as its out, I'm not sure whether to go for the white or black?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I don't think I'll be upgrading. I have no use for video calls. Plus I'd need to know loads of people with the iPhone 4 to actually use it. I don't really like the new design. It looks more like a Tocco than an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi Guys , if i had to the north and buy one in the apple store will it work on my vodafone here and is it dearer to but direct from apple as vodafone will not be subsidizing it??

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

jester77 wrote: »
    There will always be new technology coming around, hdmi out, integrated hd pico projector, LTE, microwave oven :D

Now there's an idea! Emit a beam of focused microwave energy from the antenna to heat up your cup of coffee on the fly. Now that would be cool..or maybe hot....eh well you know what I mean. But, oh no the nay-sayers and the health & safety manderins will probably block that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

Nialloooo wrote: »
    Hi Guys , if i had to the north and buy one in the apple store will it work on my vodafone here and is it dearer to but direct from apple as vodafone will not be subsidizing it??

Will the phone be available to buy so freely in the apple store though?

A mate of mine reckons now it will, what with it not being exclusive to o2 you wouldn't have to go through the whole process of getting o2 authorisation before buying it.

If you bought it up there you wouldn't be getting it subsidised though so you'd need to pay top doller IMO,but keep tabs on this as if it's a decent price it'd save me going onto a contract.

I've sold my 32gb 3gs to a dude at work for €250 so that'll go towards the new handset

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd say i'll get this one even though I got a 3GS last July.

Went into my local O2 store the other to have a chat about this and with the non-exclusivity now they were kissing my ass to stay with them. I am due an upgrade so they offered me a considerable chunk (circa €50) off the new phone if I extend my contract for a further 6 months.

Not too bad considering I can get €75-€100 for the 3GS so won't work out that costly in the end

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I know other people have had video capabilities before Apple, even my old Nokia 6680 could do it, but I think Apple are onto something because it's built in and straightforward. What I'd like to know though is do I still pay for the audio side of the call? What happens if you press the Facetime button once you're in a call rather than starting it in Facetime mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Red Alert wrote: »
    I know other people have had video capabilities before Apple, even my old Nokia 6680 could do it, but I think Apple are onto something because it's built in and straightforward. What I'd like to know though is do I still pay for the audio side of the call? What happens if you press the Facetime button once you're in a call rather than starting it in Facetime mode?

Currently facetime is only available via wifi, so no 3G involved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

hey guys,

Im currently using a N900 on prepay with 02 for the past few months. The lack of a few simple features like MMS and the ability to send group texts has me pee'ed off big time(as i have to send bulk texts twice a week from another phone).

I intend to get the new iphone 4 whenever it comes out. I've never had an apple product and never had a contract.

So basically my question is......how do i go about getting the new iphone? Do i just get one online or go into o2 store...and get set up on a contract???

Never had to worry about this before as always been on prepay....but i think with all those apps available it would be a waste of a device not having a data plan.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

hey guys,

Im currently using a N900 on prepay with 02 for the past few months. The lack of a few simple features like MMS and the ability to send group texts has me pee'ed off big time(as i have to send bulk texts twice a week from another phone).

I intend to get the new iphone 4 whenever it comes out. I've never had an apple product and never had a contract.

So basically my question is......how do i go about getting the new iphone? Do i just get one online or go into o2 store...and get set up on a contract???

Never had to worry about this before as always been on prepay....but i think with all those apps available it would be a waste of a device not having a data plan.

Cheers.

Em no. Try a sweet shop. Seriously?

I am being smart I know, sorry but how do you think you'll get one?

Em no. Try a sweet shop. Seriously?

I am being smart I know, sorry but how do you think you'll get one?

right...so i can go into o2 and get a jailbroken Iphone 4 when it comes out??

Now you are being funny :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I am being smart I know

Well please don't.

Let's keep things civil.

Now you are being funny :-)

And your well on you way to getting 10,000+ posts with your useless replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

hey guys,

Cheers.

bit ot but you could send group texts from your o2 webtexts

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Well please don't.

Let's keep things civil.

Fair enough, apologies.

I'm sorry as well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

anyway. Point is that you walk into a shop with bank statement and utility bill / proof of address. if you don't want to ask in a shop (which by posting such a question on boards I assume you don't) then i'm sure you can get a guide from Carephone Warehouse catalogue or online at any of the website's bill FAQ's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

hey guys,

Cheers.

You can send group texts on the n900.

Just go into Conversations and click New SMS. When you click to To button to add contacts, you can select multiple contacts.

You can send group texts on the n900.

Just go into Conversations and click New SMS. When you click to To button to add contacts, you can select multiple contacts.

Yes, and i do that from time to time, but twice a week I've to send 250+ msgs via group text so thats not really user-friendly :eek:

was using iOS4 yesterday on my iPhone before i sold it to someone to fund the new one, i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

With the multi-tasking can you now listen to the radio while surfing the net?
    I listen to the radio on my daily commute but also surf constantly on my w995. This combo would be a must for me

well i never got to actually explore it in proper detail, but they say that you can use spotify on this and listen to it while doing other features, off course thats those in the uk as opposed to us who can benefit with that, but the multi tasking is pretty handy i guess, but tbh i'd find it a bit annoying, having to double tap your home key and close the apps manuallly

zoom isnt bad, off course once the better camera is on the new handset, it'll be better
    a col feature is turning off the rotating option, you can lie in bed online without worrying about the screen turning about on ya
    folders is a good option, and you dont need to sync it through iTunes to rename folders etc.
    other stuff as welll it has, but as i siad, i didnt explore it properly.
    but it has some cool features

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

dougs09 wrote: »
    having to double tap your home key and close the apps manuallly

You don't have to do this!

The OS handles all of this for you. When an app is backgrounded, it's "frozen" in memory, while you go about switching between other apps.

If you re-open the app, it will resume at the exact point that you've left off (provided it's been build for iOS4).

The multitasking APIs allow for other features to run in the background (audio, location updates, etc) while the app is in the "frozen" state.

If the OS is running low on resources (i.e. RAM), it will begin removing apps from memory, starting with the first app to be backgrounded.

Advertisement