Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 is here - summary of new features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

luzon wrote: »
    Ive my 3gs 12months next month will i be entitled to an upgrade to iphone 4??

errr, how are we supposed to know? ask your network.....after you find out when they're getting the phone of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

A lot of hype, still only a small step forward, just the way Apple like to hype these things and get people to upgrade, leaving enough for another version in 12 months......then again have to admire Jobs and Apple's media PR work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

skipped the 3gs upgrade in expectation for the iphone 4 after what happened me when going from 2g to 3g.. now its time to upgrade my 3g!! cant wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought the 3GS was a must have upgrade but I don't feel the same about this phone, particularly with the 3GS getting OS4. The A4 chip could be interesting, the iPad has amazing battery life and great speed so I'll be looking forward to the first benchmark scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

bout time...I've been holding off for months on buying a new phone for this...roll on July..better order my zagg shield soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm happy they didn't change the design from what was "leaked" i think it looks pretty god damn amazing!

the resolution on the screen is nothing short of fantastic!

32g max memory doesn't really bother me, i've a 32gig 3gs and THB....it's full, but it's needlessly full!

I cannot wait for this phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

32 GB max would be fine if they added an SD card slot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

nulabert wrote: »
    Features Summary
    2. Retina Display

Does this make the iPad outdated technology, before it's even released in Ireland? Or is it just pixel help for smaller screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

A lot of hype, still only a small step forward, just the way Apple like to hype these things and get people to upgrade, leaving enough for another version in 12 months......then again have to admire Jobs and Apple's media PR work.
    yeh because other phone manufacturers don't release on a 12 month cycle, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Some pics of the White iPhone 4:

164250-recombu_white_iphone_4.jpg

iphone4handson03.jpg

iphone4handson04.jpg

iphone4handson05.jpg

iphone4handson06.jpg

iphone4handson08.jpg

gallery09.jpg

gallery11.jpg

Source: www.arstechnica.com
    Source: www.stuff.tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

And a video of some Apple people taliking about it:

My ego-meter has gone off the charts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Can't wait to get one. Hopefully, and I'm actively trying to find out so any info would be great, o2 uk will be unlocking the PAYG ones for £15. It'll cost the guts of €600 so it seems far tbh..

If so I'll pre order one if not it's wait until October to pick one up in Rome... iPad next week so not all bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

God you would swear they invented video calling, the way they go on in that video. I use fringe for video calling works great. Nice looking phone though. Looks nicer than the 3g\3gs design. Still going to stick with my android phone though:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

copacetic wrote: »

2) No radio, but not overly surprised. Apple appear to believe that having radio available with ads they can't control isn't the way they are ever going to go

The many radio apps that are available all have advertising in them and some stations are using enhanced advertising i.e. as the radio spot is playing you can check your device for furthert info and click through to the advertisers web site.

Apple must be one of the only (or few) handset manufacturers who don't include an FM tuner denying their customers a very popular facility. There are plenty of apps available but it costs most people to stream. There is now the ability to link FM RDS to iTunes so as the song plays the track can be tagged and bough in iTunes (similar to what Microsoft do with their Zune and then introduced Apple Nano). They are passing on an opportunity to sell more tunes!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BrianD wrote: »
    The many radio apps that are available all have advertising in them and some stations are using enhanced advertising i.e. as the radio spot is playing you can check your device for furthert info and click through to the advertisers web site

Thats what I meant, they have iAd now to try and get a piece of that pie from advertising in the apps. They get nothing for FM radio. It's the only reason I can think of why they are still holding out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thats what I meant, they have iAd now to try and get a piece of that pie from advertising in the apps. They get nothing for FM radio. It's the only reason I can think of why they are still holding out.

Maybe they think an FM tuner would hurt their iTunes sales? People might be less inclined to buy music if they have some free listening. I dunno....tis a bit scabby of them allright

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

One thing that just struck me about no 64GB is that you won't be shooting a lot of 720p video on the iphone on your hols as you will have nowhere to keep it with just 32GB which is already holding your music and films for the planes etc. Along with 5MP photos, 32GB is starting to look pretty small..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

One thing that just struck me about no 64GB is that you won't be shooting a lot of 720p video on the iphone on your hols as you will have nowhere to keep it with just 32GB which is already holding your music and films for the planes etc. Along with 5MP photos, 32GB is starting to look pretty small..

The 64gb version will probably be released at the same time of the next iPad refresh. I have absolutely no doubt there will be a 64gb iPhone 4.

Maybe they think an FM tuner would hurt their iTunes sales? People might be less inclined to buy music if they have some free listening. I dunno....tis a bit scabby of them allright

Nope, it could actually boost their sales! Radio airplay leads directly to tune sales. Apple have an application for FM boadcasters that allows an iTunes tag to be embeded in the RDS portion of the signal. For the listener it will display the track details on compatible devices but will also allow Apple devices to save the track details and add them to a wish list. So its a win-win system. Consumer gets FM radio, consumer can identify and buy tracks, Apple gets track sales and broadcaster gains further loyalty and a cut of the sales (a small cut but still a cut)
    copacetic wrote:

Hmmm... the radio spots are still going to be broadcast within the radio apps so they still don't have the control. Iads can still be installed within a radio apps in any case. I don't think iAds is going to be a great experience for Iphone users. It will be popular with free apps on the basis that it is money for nothing. Expect to see plenty of network buys of "you've won the lottery or a US visa" type of advertising popping up on your favourite free app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

On the one hand, Apple have such a firm hold on (a sector of?) the market that they probably don't have to do that much to maintain their share.

On the other hand, i can't help but wonder if this is enough to maintain, or even grow, their makret share in the next year. Seems very 'bare minimum' in a lot of repsects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I just got groovy blue for my 3210, I think i'll hold out a bit longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

I couldn't agree more. I think a lot of energy will go into keeping below the 32GB ceiling. Video, pics, apps and music.....it's gonna be difficult. I certainly don't need the hassle so I'm gonna be mature and not get one.
    Still, no harm in wandering in to the O2 store for a look. What's that you say, I'm due an upgrade!! Is that all it will cost me !! It's so new and shiny!! Of course 32DB is oodles of space!!

On the one hand, Apple have such a firm hold on (a sector of?) the market that they probably don't have to do that much to maintain their share.

On the other hand, i can't help but wonder if this is enough to maintain, or even grow, their makret share in the next year. Seems very 'bare minimum' in a lot of repsects.

Well all the pointers would indicate that Apple have led the market through innovation but it is now a very competitive market. It would be odd that they are not responsing to a clear consumer demand for a radio tuner.

In one way, the lack of FM radio might be viewed as a temporary smart move. Most radio stations have developed an app and will promote it on-air. Free promo for Apple across 1000's of stations worldwide. On the otherhand, many stations are moving to develop apps on other platforms so the effect is diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

The 64gb version will probably be released at the same time of the next iPad refresh. I have absolutely no doubt there will be a 64gb iPhone 4.

Any date for the next ipad refresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

waster81 wrote: »
    Any date for the next ipad refresh?
    April 2011 I'd say(available in the U.S)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Do you think we will be able to organise photos with the software update? I know its only a minor thing but it does bug me! I'd love to be able to create a folder and drag photos into it!

Something similar to the new way of creating folders for the apps for the iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

1 Please! Been thinking of getting a 3GS because I thought the 4 wouldnt be out for bleeding ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Apologies if I've missed a beat or haven't caught everything..

Will the 4 allow for multiple (2 or more) programs to be in use simultaneously?

It nearly broke my heart yesterday to be flitting between Satnav and Runkeeper whilst trying to plot and map my travels :(

Apologies: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html

I'll be getting one on upgrade in Sept or before!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Yes, up to a point.

Multitasking is available with apps that have been developed to work with iOS 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yes, up to a point.

Multitasking is available with apps that have been developed to work with iOS 4.
    Providing they use one of the 7 services Apple allow.

Its kinda weird.The actual app get frozen in the RAM but doesnt actually run.Only the service runs until you switch back to it, then it unfreezes.

Advertisement