Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Russian Radio Station Goes Offline

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Yeah it's back up again, went down due to maintenance or interference from unusually large solar flares.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Turquoise1

Oh so its definitely back up and running is it?

Oh well then I am stumped! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

The Wilco one is notable though - the sample comes from The Conet Project, a reasonably well known compilation of recordings of shortwave Number Signals.....

You should check out Boards of Canada - Geogaddi. My most fav Artists in the world! They use the conet project throughout that ablum, and in other work, but they use it so well its unsettling at some points for some people.
    Check out 'Gyroscope' manly, 'Julie & Candy' & 'Alpha & Omaga' from said album too. Also 'Diving Station' sounds like trying to tune in a number station really slowly.
    That album opened me up too all that number station stuff.
    Heres a detailed link to the album http://bocpages.org/wiki/Geogaddi

ReadyLetsGo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I thought the station was an alarm going off @ some bldg alerting someone to possible trouble......

Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

waveform wrote: »

Thats the one that seems to freak most people out.

Never has an ice cream truck song sounded so menacing! :(
    waveform wrote: »
    Theres a recording of the exact time UBV-76 went off air here: :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Hw33bslAU

lol well done sir! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Sorry for dragging up an old thread like this, just wanted to add some new info. :pac:

I dunno if anyone else heard but last week there was a HUGE amount of activity on UVB-76. :eek: It's quite rare so it could be significant?

The buzzing was interrupted and scrambled messages were relayed for an hour (I think) obviously in Russian. From what I gathered from a few Russian speakers on other forums it was a message comprised of numbers and various names, e.g "8652 Tatiana 564 Elena", stuff like that.

I was speaking to a guy who's English was quite broken, but according to him (ex-Russian soldier, took it with a pinch of salt because there's no way of verifying) he said it was a "union alert system in case of attack, shocked to see it was still operating"

Another poster said that it was used in the cold war and still somewhat in the present day to transmit messages to Moscow military bases instead of using a telephone line in case there was an attack and the lines were wiped out. It was basically a more fail proof way of being able to transmit messages for the army. It sounded pretty plausible to me, could be wrong though.

Of course, the paranoid side of me was worried that it was something used to mess with your mind, possibly turning people into brainwashed Russian sleeper agents! :eek::eek: :pac: :rolleyes: :P

Dunno what it actually is, it did unnerve me though when I listened to it. :o

Advertisement