Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Russian Radio Station Goes Offline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Maybe they changed from analog to digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

huge thread about these stations on another forum. Intruiging that it just shut down. Alot of them are very creepy. It's the sort of stuff that would keep me awake at night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFRonD-sjg&feature=related
    If you think the video is creepy the noise makes it worse!

There is one with a little german girl reading out numbers at random. Some of the scariest stuff I've ever experienced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

whats the purpose of any of these stations? I dont know anything about them.

They were used to send messages to spies and they had a special machine at decoding it. But every broadcast was different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station#In_popular_culture

I'd hate to be a spy listening to all this stuff all day. I'd be paranoid all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

huge thread about these stations on another forum. Intruiging that it just shut down. Alot of them are very creepy. It's the sort of stuff that would keep me awake at night!

There is one with a little german girl reading out numbers at random. Some of the scariest stuff I've ever experienced!

FFS, that needs a health warning, freaky poop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Jebus! dont post stuff like that without a warning haha.
    One of the youtube comments made me laugh alot!
    "Fcuk it i didnt intend to sleep anyway"

Its not scary for me only for the fact that it might contain subliminals which i ussually avert my eyes from lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

that is ****ed, reminded me of the ring!

I don't know wheter there is some strange story behind these radio stations but it could be turned into an excellent film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVqaoxxsN7Q

The video is really cool. This is the Sweedish Rhapsody, it's my favourite one. I couldn't think of the name earlier.

It's strange that they used the voice of a little German girl though. Especially since most of these transmissions are scrammed noise based.

It does get a little wierd/scary at the end! (Just a warning to you kids I did scare!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

AlcoholicA wrote: »

I don't know wheter there is some strange story behind these radio stations but it could be turned into an excellent film?

Ye it could be turned into a film.Especially a big hollywood one if they want to cover up what happened :)
    After all i get told ALOT by some people on this forum that i am being ridiculous because they saw that in a fictional movie.
    The suggestion they went to digital was funny but possibly partly true lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

These things seriously freaky me out.

Ever since my first taste of what a number station sounded like:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Wilco and The Besnard Lakes have both used bits of the signals for songs too.

Interesting stuff. And f*cking brilliant songs. :D

Wilco and The Besnard Lakes have both used bits of the signals for songs too.

Interesting stuff. And f*cking brilliant songs. :D

Oooo, thanks for the tip!

Ive only listened to The Bernard Lakes for a few minutes and they sound great, like a modern day pink floyd.

Will check out Wilco too,

Sorry for derailing the thread, relevant replies may proceed..........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just copied this from a mailing list I'm on

"S28 (the official ENIGMA designator for UVB-76 or "the buzzer") is still there on 4625/4667 kHz at 2230 UTC on June 6 (Sun) with unchanged strong signal here in good old Germany, Europe.

73"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Two of the songs with the number signals:

Just out of interest. The Besnard Lakes have used Number Signal samples a few times. The Wilco one is notable though - the sample comes from The Conet Project, a reasonably well known compilation of recordings of shortwave Number Signals. The company that made the compilation sued over copyright, but since, technically, the "owners" of the original signals weren't known, I'm not sure their claim could have held up. In any event, the band settled out of court before it was tested. The album is named after the sample used - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, from the NATO phonetic alphabet.

Carry on. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

More info on them here , the Conet Project is not something you want to be listening to late at night though.

Very unsettling that The Buzzer went offline :(

The purpose of the stations is pretty much unknown, but there's a few theories, one is that they are a 'Dead Man's Hand'... if they stop transmitting, then something bad has occurred.

Another is that they are spy stations, and, when used with a one-time pad, transmit messages.

Another is that they are used to calibrate military listening equipment, like huge curtain antennas, (like the Russian Woodpecker)that usually can pick up sounds that are below what most radio equipment can, or might be mistaken for noise, and can apparently hear halfway around the globe if needed. So these need to be kept primed and calibrated, and that's what number stations are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Very interesting topic.. thanks for posting it

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Silverfish wrote: »
    More info on them here , the Conet Project is not something you want to be listening to late at night though.

Very unsettling that The Buzzer went offline :(

The purpose of the stations is pretty much unknown, but there's a few theories, one is that they are a 'Dead Man's Hand'... if they stop transmitting, then something bad has occurred.

Another is that they are spy stations, and, when used with a one-time pad, transmit messages.

Another is that they are used to calibrate military listening equipment, like huge curtain antennas, (like the Russian Woodpecker)that usually can pick up sounds that are below what most radio equipment can, or might be mistaken for noise, and can apparently hear halfway around the globe if needed. So these need to be kept primed and calibrated, and that's what number stations are for.

Ahh that first link scared the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Interesting topic all right, never heard of these before.

I don't really get why it's scary/freaky tho?

Am i missing something

ntlbell wrote: »
    Interesting topic all right, never heard of these before.

I don't really get why it's scary/freaky tho?

Am i missing something

Thats the one that seems to freak most people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

waveform wrote: »

Thats the one that seems to freak most people out.

Yeah, I had listened to that one, I think it's pretty relaxing :pac:

Maybe I should have waited till it was 2/3am in the morning on my tod.

Any got any more links to read up on this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Magaa wrote: »
    Ahh that first link scared the crap out of me.

Swedish Rhapsody? There's an ice-cream van here that plays that.
    Put me off icecream.

This is where the Buzzer apparently broadcasts from.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Swedish Rhapsody? There's an ice-cream van here that plays that.
    Put me off icecream.

This is where the Buzzer apparently broadcasts from.

Would that place be abandoned? Id imagine its a military place

Yeah scary!, specialy when you keep imagining if you turn around your gonna see the grudge :cool:

Edit: sorry no the scond one is more scary

UVB-76 station

downloader.php?file=UVB-76_3.png

what are those circles?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

4.625 and 4.667 MHz are both audible here in Co. Tipperary now (1955L).
    Also some voice comms on 4.645.35 USB which sounds like they are being intentionally jammed.

what are those circles?

I think the top one is a compass, but it looks shopped

I think the top one is a compass, but it looks shopped
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76
    its actually not,

theres a theory ive been reading about necular missiles there and that radio transmission is a failsafe of somesort

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

AlcoholicA wrote: »

Reminds me of The Ring too! Could be a film in this ...

But man, this is some freaky-sheeeet alright! ... It's kinda surreal though how well it translates into music too ... Maybe that's it? What if it's some old Cold War mind-fukc psyops what's been left running and warped itself into an art-form. Like maybe some soviet spark had the idea to just pump out random messages which mean absolutely nothing. Spy networks on all sides were continually second-guessing themselves anyway, still are ... maybe it began as an attempt to confuse and distract, and further squander resources ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Two of the songs with the number signals:

Just out of interest. The Besnard Lakes have used Number Signal samples a few times. The Wilco one is notable though - the sample comes from The Conet Project, a reasonably well known compilation of recordings of shortwave Number Signals. The company that made the compilation sued over copyright, but since, technically, the "owners" of the original signals weren't known, I'm not sure their claim could have held up. In any event, the band settled out of court before it was tested. The album is named after the sample used - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, from the NATO phonetic alphabet.

Carry on. :)

good bands, btw ...... and Besnard Lakes have a song called 'For Agent 13' ... ?

I'm I reading too much into all this ... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Misleading title OP..I thought this forums very own mysterious had a radio station.Im disappointed now:mad::D.

Yes a very interesting topic and seriously fecking strange....

I downloaded a program called HamSphere (virtual ham radio) after seeing it mentioned on another forum discussing the UVB-76 signal.. There's currently a very interesting discussion about numbers stations on one of the channels - 6.270.00

• Advertisement

Would that place be abandoned? Id imagine its a military place

Yeah scary!, specialy when you keep imagining if you turn around your gonna see the grudge :cool:

Edit: sorry no the scond one is more scary

UVB-76 station

downloader.php?file=UVB-76_3.png

what are those circles?

does any one else find this intresting?
    it cold be a doomsday station like if that radio changes or is programmed there could be missiles released

thories ofc

Advertisement