Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More on the "Psychoactive Substances" bill

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭c0ldfyr3

This is law now, The Criminal Justice (Psychoactive Substances) Act 2010 was signed on 14/07/10.
    Where was it signed? Neither the DoJ nor the DoHC have any press releases about it nor have any news networks. The Oireachtas press release page also hasn't mentioned it a month.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Press_releases

http://www.dohc.ie/press/releases/2010/

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 connexion

Apparently bills like this have to signed into law by the president.

Nothing on her site www.president.ie about any signing she's done lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭AKA pat sheen

connexion wrote: »
    Any links to news sites about this ? I can't find anything.

http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=24&lang=eng

Thanks for that. Seems Mary's been busy with her pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I haven't read all this thread or the details of the Bill, so apologies if it's been asked already but I'm just wondering if seeds can still be puchased now that these new laws have been introduced ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

someone i may know was wondering what the punishment is if found importing this now banned products as numerous others have been doing for years.
    Surely any talk of 7 year sentences is just to scare people,no way would that punishmentt be for a gram or two.

Amazing that none of the media hysteria is around the fact that most of these bath salts are now available from your local coke dealer at a dearer price.Not heard anyone talk to joe about it yet.

The Criminal Justice (Psychoactive Substances) Bill 2010 has passed all stages of the Oireachtas and is expected to be signed by the president soon. The Justice Minister will then issue a commencement date.

It is understood there are some concerns at Garda level that the law will not be straightforward to implement.

It contains many new, and untested, Garda powers.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/home/gardai-seize-45-tonnes-of-legal-highs-125510.html
    That's from yesterdays examiner. Has someone hacked the President's website, it says she has already signed this?

I'm wondering why there seems to be a media blackout on the fact that this has been signed into law.

Also the headline of that examiner article says a lot about the popularity of those products and the impact they must have had on the illegal drugs market.

"Gardaí seize 4.5 tonnes of ‘legal highs’"

http://www.irishexaminer.com/home/gardai-seize-45-tonnes-of-legal-highs-125510.html

Seems they haven't even managed to weigh the lot and it could be closer to 6 tonnes.

More confusion:http://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/danny_boy/head-shop-bill-finally-hits-nail-almost-on-the-head-98784294.html

Danny Boy states "Fortunately the Dail had the brains [sic] to include point b), that the drug pose a threat of addiction. It’s hard to argue with something that could be addictive being outlawed." Now maybe I am misreading this but doesn't the word "or" immediately preceeding that paragraph meaning the law applies to any substance that is psychoactive OR addictive, and not psychoactive AND addictive as Danny Boy is suggesting.

EDIT: And kava was disapproved for human use years ago.

Another question. If I buy and import Morning Glory seeds from a headshop in the UK with the intention of eating them I have committed an offence but if I buy them from Dunnes with the same intention I have not broken any law (and nor has Dunnes btw if they are unaware of my intentions) does that amount to a breach of European free movement of goods obligations? This is all so confusing and the law is supposed to provide clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is all so confusing and the law is supposed to provide clarity.
    Who told you that? The changes have absolutely no other purpose than to appease liveline listeners and line the pockets of organised crime who I'm now assuming are one and the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

raven136 wrote: »
    Amazing that none of the media hysteria is around the fact that most of these bath salts are now available from your local coke dealer at a dearer price.Not heard anyone talk to joe about it yet.

Yep this is what písses me off the most. Do these people not realise that everything they ban will be sold on the streets anyway, lining the pockets of the big drug dealers? And now it's more than likely been mixed with all sorts of crap.

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

ya we bought "xtc" last week for first time in 2/3 years and they turned out to be bzp pills!! glad to see they got all the cattle wormer off the streets 2 years ago

assholes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Elevator wrote: »
    ya we bought "xtc" last week for first time in 2/3 years and they turned out to be bzp pills!! glad to see they got all the cattle wormer off the streets 2 years ago

assholes!!!
    http://www.pillreports.com/index.php?page=region_home&region=2&sub_region=7

I had checked pill reports about them alright and just took them anyway,

last time I had bzp it was in pure powder form and I done the dog on it, paid the price with one heavy mother of a comedown so I reasoned last sat night that one little pill couldn't do too much damage, never taking anything again without a tester

wish I could bag some of them orange sonics doing the rounds!! by all accounts they are the bomb :p

Elevator wrote: »
    I had checked pill reports about them alright and just took them anyway,

last time I had bzp it was in pure powder form and I done the dog on it, paid the price with one heavy mother of a comedown so I reasoned last sat night that one little pill couldn't do too much damage, never taking anything again without a tester

wish I could bag some of them orange sonics doing the rounds!! by all accounts they are the bomb :p
    I had some on the last day of Life Festival this year. I hadn't had MDMA for ages, but I'd heard there was a cross-tolerance with meph so I thought I'd be chilled enough.

I was so ****ed on the comeup I couldn't talk for an hour. Our eyes were wobbling so hard it took 5 of us to read the time off the phone, and two of the lads were jabbering on about how Infected Mushroom were actually wooden-legged 70-year-old Japanese men with onions tied around their necks.

They are indeed the bomb :pac::pac::pac:

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I had some on the last day of Life Festival this year. I hadn't had MDMA for ages, but I'd heard there was a cross-tolerance with meph so I thought I'd be chilled enough.

I was so ****ed on the comeup I couldn't talk for an hour. Our eyes were wobbling so hard it took 5 of us to read the time off the phone, and two of the lads were jabbering on about how Infected Mushroom were actually wooden-legged 70-year-old Japanese men with onions tied around their necks.

They are indeed the bomb :pac::pac::pac:

next time your sight goes like that cover one eye and focus as hard as ya can with the other, ya can't see cos both pupils are moving out of sync so using the one worked everytime for me

used to hate trying to read the text on cd inlay cards when on a session lol

ScumLord wrote: »
    Who told you that? The changes have absolutely no other purpose than to appease liveline listeners and line the pockets of organised crime who I'm now assuming are one and the same.

I mean in general, laws are supposed to be clear. But especially so when the right to bail has been removed.

We will NEVER win war on drugs

'Decriminalise personal drug use', suggests chairman of the Bar Council

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

It used to be illegal to grow any poppies derived from papaver somniferum, including ornamental varieties, until a few years ago but the law was changed to control growing poppies specifically for opium production. At the moment it's only illegal to cultivate cannabis and coca plants without a license. This bill won't change that. Funnily enough, it's not illegal to grow psilocybe mushrooms but it is illegal to possess mushrooms which aren't "growing uncultivated"

Can you show me where P. Somniferum is only illegal if the intention is growing opium? (or at least the relevant amendment or year). I have heard this a few times from people, but I can't find a law that changed the position on cultivation of "Opium Poppies" as the law says (btw - I find it pretty funny that the law is based on taxonomy, which is only as good as what botanists have found, and species can be reclassified)

Can you show me where P. Somniferum is only illegal if the intention is growing opium? (or at least the relevant amendment or year). I have heard this a few times from people, but I can't find a law that changed the position on cultivation of "Opium Poppies" as the law says (btw - I find it pretty funny that the law is based on taxonomy, which is only as good as what botanists have found, and species can be reclassified)

Irish Medicines Board (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Thanks. I can now stop worrying about my mother being arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

genericguy wrote: »
    poorly written article tbh.

You can sing that.
    It lost me at the typo on the 4th word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

Jesus lads ye're a negative bunch! It may not have been exactly Shakesperian prose, but then again it was written in a fairly poor state at 4am!!! Whether or not it's beautifully written or not I hope is at least somewhat irrelevant. The aim was to try and highlight some poorly drafted provisions that may afford some slight loop-holes. I think I at least made those points. THB I'm not overly-sensitive to criticism (you couldn't be as a writer) but when ppl on here start moaning about the media coverage - then attack someone when they take a shot at the Act, you have to wonder. Why don't ye send me in corrections and we'll work together on improving it. I'm supposed to be interviewing the Taoiseach at some time in the near future so perhaps whenever he comes down to Cork I can show him a decent criticism of the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I got an email newsletter from Irish headstores and apparently they have 2 new products for July.

Duffy's Hysteria Party Powder

And

Dermot's Doobie Herbal Aromatic Incense

:D

I've heard there are still a few head shops operating in Dublin city centre, selling substances that are quite obviously intended for human consumption despite the packaging claiming otherwise.

Are these not running the risk of being prosecuted?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I've heard there are still a few head shops operating in Dublin city centre, selling substances that are quite obviously intended for human consumption despite the packaging claiming otherwise.

The Irish Headstores crowd say that there are 5 weeks or so left before the new law comes into effect.

Shulgin wrote: »
    The Irish Headstores crowd say that there are 5 weeks or so left before the new law comes into effect.

and we'll be gone to Edinburgh 5 weeks after that all goin well

gonna kiss the country goodbye and go in search of greener fields

cannot wait and we're going on to mainland Europe 6 months to a year after that

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

all thats in these products is basically caffeine i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement