Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's best to buy desire sim free

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I haven't seen or read of any instances where someone bought an O2 prepay Desire, and found it to be sim-locked. As far as I can see (including my own experience) they have largely been branded, but not sim-locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Anyone know a walk in store in dublin where you can buy a desire besides vodafone o2 and meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

carphonewarehouse, My mate bought one yesterday on o2 from there for 399, its simfree and the only branding is the 02 bubbles on startup, theres no other o2 junk installed on the phone so its as good as simfree.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

As far as I know most people on this thread got their's from cpw as opposed to o2 retail shops. Not sure if there would be a difference. As posted above, my phone(bought cpw grafton st 01/07/10) has a quick o2 bubble at startup and thats it. No bloatware on it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I bought one in cpw today, the one next to Clerys. Popped my VF sim card in and..........................it's sim-locked :(
    Can anyone recommend one of the websites that provide unlock codes? Absolutely gutted atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

kin9pin wrote: »
    I bought one in cpw today, the one next to Clerys. Popped my VF sim card in and..........................it's sim-locked :(
    Can anyone recommend one of the websites that provide unlock codes? Absolutely gutted atm.
    Uh-oh. Second batch must be locked. ****.

Have you tried returning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Simi sim on aungier st are very good for unlocking phones in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Quick question does anybody know if there is a cooling off period when you sign up to bill pay contract with a mobile provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Quick question does anybody know if there is a cooling off period when you sign up to bill pay contract with a mobile provider?

yes, 7 days. IIRC.

The ones in CPW are now all sim locked also. :(

• Advertisement

Quick update, paid for an unlock code this morning and now my VF sim is working. Really liking the phone so far, but I'm kind of fumbling my way round. I'll also eventually root to get rid of the O2 startup animation (if that's what I need to do??)

Does anyone know how to add album art? I used itunes agent to sync some music, but only a couple of albums have copied the covers over. Also, is there an ebay and Sky news app available (all I could find on Market is a Sky News rss).
    Anywhere cheap in Dublin for a 16GB micro sd?

Thanks

HI where did ya get the code? if ya dont mind me asking :)

There is an ebay app
    http://ebayinkblog.com/2010/02/17/ebay-android-app-is-available-for-free-at-the-android-market/

NO sky news one yet but theres a few bbc news ones

jd83 wrote: »
    HI where did ya get the code? if ya dont mind me asking :)

There is an ebay app
    http://ebayinkblog.com/2010/02/17/ebay-android-app-is-available-for-free-at-the-android-market/

NO sky news one yet but theres a few bbc news ones

I tried a couple:

http://www.htcsimunlock.com/htc-desire-unlock.html
    100% money-back guarantee. This didn't work, probably as my phone is a new batch or something. I paid with paypal and received a refund about 10 minutes later as they couldn't find the code.

http://bravo.unlock-now.com/sim-unlock-HTC-Desire/
    There are 2 options here when you order, standard database for €17.50 or "VIP" Database for newer batches. I tried the cheap one first, but got a refund after a few hours with a message saying I could still unlock it with the VIP search. I'd gone too far at that stage so I paid €35, received a code within 15 minutes and it worked first time.

Thanks for the info re BBC News, I'll try it out now.

Cool thanks a lot. NOw just to get rid of the o2 branding im set.

Update: That worked for me too, now able to use vodafone sim. BYe Bye o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

kin9pin wrote: »
    I tried a couple:

http://www.htcsimunlock.com/htc-desire-unlock.html
    100% money-back guarantee. This didn't work, probably as my phone is a new batch or something. I paid with paypal and received a refund about 10 minutes later as they couldn't find the code.

http://bravo.unlock-now.com/sim-unlock-HTC-Desire/
    There are 2 options here when you order, standard database for €17.50 or "VIP" Database for newer batches. I tried the cheap one first, but got a refund after a few hours with a message saying I could still unlock it with the VIP search. I'd gone too far at that stage so I paid €35, received a code within 15 minutes and it worked first time.

Thanks for the info re BBC News, I'll try it out now.

Great, just as I got the money together to get one they decide to lock them. The 35 quid to unlock it puts a bit of added expense onto it that could be spent on getting accessories. Is this the only option to get the phone unlocked? Surely if these people can gets codes from you sending your IMEI number we should be too or am I missing something about unlocking.

I'm not sure how it works. I did a lot of searching though and couldn't find any sort of software that does it.
    Aren't Meteor advertising payg for €320 now? That may be an option if you have to unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Been looking for unlocking information too and only found the type of sites that you listed but at least I know one that actually works. Just checked the Meteor site and the only HTC phone on payg they have listed is the Legend. I'll drop into one of their shops next week and see what they have or hopefully find a Carphone Warehouse with some old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone know which CPW shops have stock of the Desire? Only really interested in CPW as I can trade in my E51 for €50.

Tried CPW in both Ashleaf and Liffey today but neither had them in stock (O2 Prepay). Never thought of asking did they have Meteor ones.

As I'll probably unlock it anyway, can anyone confirm if Meteor are doing them cheaper PAYG? O2 are €399.

As people have mentioned above, the only O2 branding is the splash screen. What branding do Meteor have?

Tried CPW on Grafton this morning. No joy there either....

Got mine in the cpw next to Clerys last week, I think it's North Earl Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

CPW in liffey valley had O2 prepay in stock at lunchtime. he said he had

about 20 of them. quoted me 429 but when i queried the price he said

it was 399. be wary;)

emo72 wrote: »
    CPW in liffey valley had O2 prepay in stock at lunchtime. he said he had

about 20 of them. quoted me 429 but when i queried the price he said

it was 399. be wary;)

They told me last night that they wouldn't be in for a week.

Anyone have a direct line number to the store? On the website it only gives the customer services number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

SachaJ wrote: »
    They told me last night that they wouldn't be in for a week.

Anyone have a direct line number to the store? On the website it only gives the customer services number.

there you go mate. they rang me from that number last night. usually you ring the other number

and u get a uk agent and takes your details then they get the branch to call you.

but i was there an hour ago and bought one. he said they had loads.

nice one thanks

SachaJ wrote: »
    nice one thanks

Got one myself today. CPW Liffey. Thanks for the posts above....

Advertisement