Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's best to buy desire sim free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

some may be unlocked - some are not tho.

the majority are not i wud guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

some may be unlocked - some are not tho.

the majority are not i wud guess.

Source?

source - every carrier, years of past examples and common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You're spouting a lot of ****e on this thread - evryone who's actually got one of the phones says they're unlocked. That's from Meteor, O2 and Vodafone.

You (correct me if I'm wrong here) don't have one but you're telling the rest of us how much we paid for them, where we did or didn't get them and that our unlocked phones are locked.

Do us all a favour and get off the thread until you have some actual facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

That same logic would suggest the Hero I have from Meteor is locked.

I better take it back to them as faulty as my Three sim is working just fine in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Edwordo

your posts are entirely speculative and incorrect.
    O2 still selling sim free HTC Desire. I bought one yesterday and meteor SIM works fine straight off - calls and internet. :cool:

1 - go to the android market
    2 - search for dictionary
    3 - after downloaded and installed check the word ''many''

4 - that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

I have brought Desires from Vodafone online, O2 Shops & Carphone warehouse. All are unlocked. The one from the 02 shop was branded however, but still works fine with a three sim & my brother meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

I have brought Desires from Vodafone online, O2 Shops & Carphone warehouse. All are unlocked. The one from the 02 shop was branded however, but still works fine with a three sim & my brother meteor.

how bad is the branding?
    Edwordo wrote: »
    your posts are entirely speculative and incorrect.
    O2 still selling sim free HTC Desire. I bought one yesterday and meteor SIM works fine straight off - calls and internet. :cool:

where did you get it? where in the country like?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Can't seem to find htc desire on vodafone's website or CPW ... is it just me or am I going blind :rolleyes:

BTW for a trade in does the phone need to be working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Nekro Man wrote: »
    how bad is the branding?

The o2 branding is just an o2 logo and animation when you turn it on. Other than that there's not a trace of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

maki wrote: »
    The o2 branding is just an o2 logo and animation when you turn it on. Other than that there's not a trace of anything else.

i can flash a rom and get rid of that pretty easy... where did you get it? an o2 shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Nekro Man wrote: »
    i can flash a rom and get rid of that pretty easy... where did you get it? an o2 shop?

I got mine in CPW. The guys in the o2 shop were less than helpful when I asked if they were unlocked (which they are).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fidget76

abroad at the moment in spain, have to get one of these when i get back at the end of the month (june 28th).
    So does anyone know if there is loads in stock in Galway? and i have a nokia n95 8gb to trade so happy days
    If its branded, hopefully it wont affect performance. Its a shame their website has none advertised. have to go in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

I just spoke to CPW in Greystones and he said the desire isn't available on prepay... Is it just come branches or what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yelnahs wrote: »
    I just spoke to CPW in Greystones and he said the desire isn't available on prepay... Is it just come branches or what?
    Ring back and ask to speak to the manager. Seriously, Is that what the said? I bought mine on prepay in CPW in Limerick and a few weeks before that I was in Kilkenny and they had them for sale on prepay as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Just got one yesterday on O2 prepay €399 in CPW.

Make sure the box is sealed and it's brand new if you get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Was just in CPW in The Square and they said that the Desire (o2) was locked :-(

Any1 know of any shops that sell the unlocked Desire in dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Bought 1 anyway from CPW in The Square Tallaght, Was told its locked but i just put in a Meteor sim and all is working :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Just curious...

To the people who spent the money to get an unlocked Desire - what was your reason for spending that much money on the phone versus buying it under a contract with a phone provider?

* Did you buy it for the flexibility of being able to jump between phone providers to avail of new offers? (e.g. sim-free users are usually only tied into contract for 30 days versus 12mth under bill pay).

* Or did you get the phone simply because your existing phone provider doesn't sell the phone?

* Or are you just a PAYG customer, and this was a pretty good offer for PAYG?

I'm currently a sim-only customer, on bill pay... and am two-minds on whether to buy this phone 'unlocked' and pick & choose a network plan that suits me & phone (as a sim-only customer)...or just sign into a contract with a network provider and get phone at a subsidised cost...:confused:

I know it's a personal decision... but I"m just curious people's reasoning behind their purchase :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I bought my desire in cpw in the UK and was told all phones that they sell are unlocked, then they just supply the sim.

@soc - I swap between irish and UK sims so guaranteed unlocked was way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi guys, I'm tempted to sell my iphone and get the Desire in CPW and have been told they have them in stock but will not let me check if my Vodafone sim will work before buying. I'm a bit nervous forking out €399 only to find out it's not going to work!

Anybody know of any branches who let them try their sim card first? Any horror stories of the Desire now being locked or should I go for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

breeno wrote: »
    Anybody know of any branches who let them try their sim card first? Any horror stories of the Desire now being locked or should I go for it??

I wanted to know the same but having read here that they always tell you that "yes they are locked" and "no we can't test it", I can confirm that the one I bought, though 02 branded, is not locked - confirmed with a meteor sim + phone call.

I'm on o2 so it wasn't too much of a big issue for me, so I took the risk, but it worked out.

Thanks appreciate it.

Anybody know how big a job it would be to get the phone unlocked if the worst was to happen when I bought it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i bought one in the cpw shop in dun laoghaire - o2 branded as describe above, but sim-unlocked - working happily with my vodafone sim

Just to update.

I bought a Desire in CPW Grafton St on o2 prepay and slipped my Vodafone sim card and it works perfectly.

Delighted with my new phone, sold my iPhone 3gs to come back to Android :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

breeno wrote: »
    Just to update.

I bought a Desire in CPW Grafton St on o2 prepay and slipped my Vodafone sim card and it works perfectly.

Delighted with my new phone, sold my iPhone 3gs to come back to Android :D

Did you buy that today? My iphone has died and I want to switch to the Desire. I'm on Vodafone Simply with data plan, but I'm trying to work out if it's worth chancing a prepay and hoping that it's not locked. I have to stay on Vodafone as I travel to UK and Spain quite a bit and their apn allows me to use the internet abroad as part of my data add-on.
    Has anyone actually bought a locked prepay in CPW yet?

Just wondering if someone can let me know how confident I can be of picking up an O2 prepay from CW Grafton St that is unlocked. My heart is telling me to get one on the way home from work tonight, but my stupid head keeps telling me it might be locked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

kin9pin wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone can let me know how confident I can be of picking up an O2 prepay from CW Grafton St that is unlocked. My heart is telling me to get one on the way home from work tonight, but my stupid head keeps telling me it might be locked!
    Isn't there a return policy?

• Advertisement

Isn't there a return policy?

Not sure. I went in anyway to buy one on Grafton St. and they said they don't have any O2 prepay left. The guy checked the system and told me CW sold out of O2 prepay in all stores!
    I checked with O2 in Dundrum tonight and , although they didn't have any, there are some left in other stores. I don't know if these will be locked though, but I presume I could use one of the unlocking sites for it (do these even work?)?
    Mad ain't it, the more trouble you have getting something the more you want it!

Advertisement