Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's best to buy desire sim free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

This is one of those situations where people on the internet know more about a CPW deal than the people working in the shop do.

I know if I went in and asked for a Sim Free Desire I would be treated like a criminal and told in a round about way that I was trying to pull a fast one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

This is one of those situations where people on the internet know more about a CPW deal than the people working in the shop do.

I know if I went in and asked for a Sim Free Desire I would be treated like a criminal and told in a round about way that I was trying to pull a fast one.

Its funny cause its true. I was explaining my rights to a three store manager in regards to getting a phone replaced recently and it was like talking to a wall.

So has anyone got the E349 deal elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Guys turns out it was my lucky day.

It was just a system error that was rectified or something like that. So its €399, which is still an unreal price in fairness if you do a trade in.

Now please stop ringing the swords store, I forgot i gave them my number in relation to the trade in contract thingy, and well, put one and one together.

I got a message to me , so just stop harrasing the poor lot there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

TheDoc wrote: »
    I picked mine up today in Swords Carphone warehouse

i asked in the carphone warehouse in dun laoghaire on thurs and the guy said he had no idea about this offer, is it just in swords or whats the story?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Asked about this offer in the Grafton St. branch of CPW on thursday gone and they were adamant that any HTC Desires they had would be locked to a network.

It would appear that this is some sort of mistake regarding the Swords Branch being sent a load of unlocked phones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If your heading to the UK and will be getting a new number over there then just wait, the Desire is free on pretty much all UK bill pay contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

Haha doc, you are right.

I went in today and bought one from the swords branch for 399. I am happy enough with that price. The phone itself takes a bit of getting used to compared to the iphone.

Thanks for all the info.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

igor420, do you know if that one from the Swords Branch Sim Free, unlocked?

Just that I rang them late this evening and was told that they would be locked to a network. Would like to get confirmation on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Swords Carphone warehouse are selling the Desire unlocked for 399?

Or 399 with a trade-in?

Yes I was told straight out it was 499 unlocked in swords cpw - end of as far as that girl was concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ozz

Bought mine o2 unlocked in CPW Patrick St. Cork yesterday for €350.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I asked in CPW in Kilkenny yesterday and got quoted €399

this seems to be very hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Dammit, I need to get my ass down to CPW as soon as possible. Was gonna fork out €479 (€469 + €10 P&P) on Pixmania.

Anyone know if they're open tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Asked carphone in wexford town, 499 sim free, asked in meteor store and would only sell it on bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Just rang CPW in Longford, same story as drunkmonkey :(

I guess it's only €20 more than Pixmania, I can get it today, and if there's any problems I can just pop in there... What to do, what to do, what to do... :confused:

EDIT: Actually, anyone know if the supposedly locked to O2 Desires in there are actually locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I see O2 on their website aren't carrying the desire only the smart one. I also saw a desire HD in the O2 shop in dundalk in the marshes.

Different stores or what's the story anyone know ?

Those phones are locked - they are sold out and having shortages problems.

No way CPW are selling them unlocked for 399 when Google sold the Nexus One for 430 euro unlocked and the Desire is a better Nexus One.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No way CPW are selling them unlocked for 399 when Google sold the Nexus One for 430 euro unlocked and the Desire is a better Nexus One.
    Walk into any O2 store, and you can pick one up for €399 unlocked. They had plenty in the Square in Tallaght, when I was there around 8/9 days ago.

You can unlocked them , they do not come unlocked tho.

you can unlock them but it's not always gonna work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Desire is actually a cheaper N1. It has more RAM than the N! I believe, but the N1's dual noise cancelling micrphones make it dearer to produce.

But the desire is a better phone, it is at least the same price.

So these phones are locked - you can of course unlock them, but they dont come unlocked.

I'd like to hear your reasons for it being a better phone. As, apart from the differences I pointed out, they're the exact same phone.

Sense.

Desire is still being supported and sold, nexus one is not.

Looks better.

Well you can easily get Sense on the Nexus.

Fair enough about the Desire selling more, but thats Googles fault for not subsidising it with networks. Blame them, not the actual phone.

aesthetics do not a good phone make. And I actually prefer the Nexus to the Desire, looks-wise.

Anyways, enough OT talk :D

You can unlocked them , they do not come unlocked tho.
    Mine most certainly did. Used my O2 sim, then used my OH's Meteor sim which worked fine. And it was a branded O2 phone, so they had applied their software customizations. So to re-iterate, I bought an O2 branded pre-pay phone and it was unlocked.

The 02 shop in swords didnt have any.

Said they were getting them soon.

I specificly asked was it gonna be locked to 02 - and he said yes, and I said ''really, properly actually locked'' and he said yes unless you unlock it yourself.

As has been suggested a number of times on this forum, they may not be the authority on the products they sell. You would imagine that if they were going to go to the trouble of branding the phone (startup and shutdown graphics) they would also use the opportunity to sim-lock the phone also. But the proof is in the testing. Perhaps they made a mistake and didn't sim-lock a batch of phones. Perhaps O2 would prefer not to have it known that the phones they sell are not sim-locked.

Maybe - but the two people i talked to were not managers.

They would have nothing to gain in lying. I spose they could be in the dark bout it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

To anybody getting quoted more than €399 in CPW, tell them it's €399 in their own June brochure on O2!

desirecpw.jpg

Oh and by the way, if anybody is saying that the prepay one is not the one being discussed here, all the initial Desires that CPW received were unbranded and unlocked, and I notice that some of the recent purchases in this thread have stated that there is O2 branding, so thats the actual phone they are selling

Advertisement