Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Total War Game May Be Shogun 2?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

grizzly wrote: »
    For anyone that may have missed this elsewhere;

Total War: Shogun 2 – Fall of the Samurai
    An expansion scheduled for a March 2012 release

looks cool

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheSheepz

Must say I'm looking forward to the Fall of the Samurai a lot more than I was for the Rise of the Samurai.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

The features they are bringing in sound very interesting! This is going to be in the late 1800's right? It seems you have to pick to be supplied by either the US, France or Britian for your weapons if you are one of the 3 Imperial powers, or just stick with swords for the Shogun.

Imagine the Gatling guns! the horror! I think naval and land battles are being mixed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheSheepz

Will there be a Tom Cruise hero unit?

You can join a closed multiplayer beta too by the way, they are giving out keys once every few weeks in waves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone getting the expansion friday?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah. It looks quite good.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Yeah. It looks quite good.

Its requires 32gigs on the hard drive,bloody hell man that's more than shogun 2 :O

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

How the hell does it need that much space?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Maximilian wrote: »
    How the hell does it need that much space?

It looks like practically a whole new game- you don't need Shogun 2 installed to play it. i've never had any games that even take half as much space as Total War games

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/shogun-2-fall-of-the-samurai-review/

Think I'm just gonna get this off steam,29.99,probably dearer in gamestop,no idea are game stocking it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Think I'm just gonna get this off steam,29.99,probably dearer in gamestop,no idea are game stocking it though.

I doubt game is stocking much at this stage if you catch my dift.
    They are haemorrhaging money and many companies are refusing to sell to them

I was going to get it anyway but that review has just made me want it even more. I really like the whole off-map arty thing.

Farcheal wrote: »
    I doubt game is stocking much at this stage if you catch my dift.
    They are haemorrhaging money and many companies are refusing to sell to them
    I do indeed catch your drift :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Really looks like its them testing waters to do a US civil war total war. If fall of the samurai modern mechanics works (and the new imperial/traditionalist campaigns) then I'd wager the next total war will have you playing one of the american states in the civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

If i buy this from the shop can i still add it to my Shogun 2 that i got on steam ?

Stupid idea buying total war games on steam for me, freaking massive downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I had the original Shogun and absolutely loved it, haven't played another since, so am just wondering which would you recommend I get to begin playing these again

Shogun 2 is the easiest one to jump to from shogun as most of the units and upgrades etc are the same in role and function. But it has a much more advanced campaign map and more varied battle mechanic that were developed from the other titles in between.

Compared to the prior titles Shogun is much more streamlined then Empire and Napoleon which both have troubled designs that have love it/hate it design choices. Personally Empire has a harder time convincing people if they dont naturally have an interest in that era of history to begin with.

Medieval 2 and Rome are both still very good games and Rome was the biggest shake up the series got as it introduced much of what is standard in the series. But Shogun 2 carries pretty much everything Rome introduced and some of the features of Empire but balances it all much better then any of the prior games.

donalg1 wrote: »
    I had the original Shogun and absolutely loved it, haven't played another since, so am just wondering which would you recommend I get to begin playing these again

The latest one, Shogun 2 would be good one to get. Certainly preferred it over Empire & Napolean. That said, the Fall of the Samurai standalone looks like it will be great & it's out tomorrow. Maybe consider that.

Spunge wrote: »
    If i buy this from the shop can i still add it to my Shogun 2 that i got on steam ?

Stupid idea buying total war games on steam for me, freaking massive downloads.

I think if you already have shogun 2 it doesnt do a full 32 gig install.

I bought it just after I posted and the download is almost finished now.

and its downloading directly into my shogun 2 game.

when it's finished I'll look at how much my memory gets eaten up.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I think if you already have shogun 2 it doesnt do a full 32 gig install.

I bought it just after I posted and the download is almost finished now.

and its downloading directly into my shogun 2 game.

when it's finished I'll look at how much my memory gets eaten up.

Might explain the 5gb update for Shogun 2 downloading from Steam right now. I haven't bought FOTS yet. The patch applies to both, which to my mind means assets are shared.

also: yay!

Greatly reduced save-game file sizes (meaning reduced game save and load times) and full Steam Cloud support
    - Battlefield load time improvement (approximately 30% dependent on machine spec)
    - Greatly reduced AI turn-time

• Advertisement

finished install and its only 19gigs according to steam for my shogun 2/rise of the samurai/fall of the samurai files

and its 27.4 gig when I check it through windows. And I see no seperate folder for fall

finished install and its only 19gigs according to steam for my shogun 2/rise of the samurai/fall of the samurai files

and its 27.4 gig when I check it through windows. And I see no seperate folder for fall

I laugh when I think that my first PC had a 20mb HDD.

yeah fall installs directly into shogun 2 and shows up as a new single player campaign.

Had a quick fiddle and it's surprisingly more different then I thought on first glimpses.

I already had the ability to do artillery fire from my ships and spent the first few turns bombarding my nearest neighbour and decided to quickly throw together a quick army just to test the battle mode and I had firearms from the get go. Reminded me a bit of Empire straight away.

That and having the limited ability to fire artillery from my ship made it quite funny. I dont know if the size of your fleet will affect how much firepower that will bring, but from just one ship I did a surprisingly amount of damage from my two volleys. Also very funny seeing a formation just break down the middle from a direct hit.

Though your opponent gets plenty of warning of an incoming shot via smoke signal that appears (ala COH) and you can scare the enemy away from the position you will be assaulting using it.

When I have time I'll give the campaign a proper go. But it looks to be surprisingly fresh.

yeah fall installs directly into shogun 2 and shows up as a new single player campaign.

Had a quick fiddle and it's surprisingly more different then I thought on first glimpses.

I already had the ability to do artillery fire from my ships and spent the first few turns bombarding my nearest neighbour and decided to quickly throw together a quick army just to test the battle mode and I had firearms from the get go. Reminded me a bit of Empire straight away.

That and having the limited ability to fire artillery from my ship made it quite funny. I dont know if the size of your fleet will affect how much firepower that will bring, but from just one ship I did a surprisingly amount of damage from my two volleys. Also very funny seeing a formation just break down the middle from a direct hit.

Though your opponent gets plenty of warning of an incoming shot via smoke signal that appears (ala COH) and you can scare the enemy away from the position you will be assaulting using it.

When I have time I'll give the campaign a proper go. But it looks to be surprisingly fresh.

its unlocked so is it?

seems so.

I'm in the UK so unless Creative assembly decided they didnt like Ireland it should be available across europe.

It doesnt show up as a stand alone. You have to load up shogun 2 to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

So my normal Shogun 2 is updating with like 5GB.

Could it be just downloading the DLC anyway ?

EDIT: nvm after i bought it, it just added another 4GB to update

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Really looks like its them testing waters to do a US civil war total war. If fall of the samurai modern mechanics works (and the new imperial/traditionalist campaigns) then I'd wager the next total war will have you playing one of the american states in the civil war.
    Very good point. The 2 allied sides with firearms and more ground/naval interaction definitely line up well for a US Civil War version.

Liking it so far. The off map arty is good fun. Lots of "stuff" in it. The UI is a little drab though. Hard to distinguish buildings, units. I'll probably get used to it but I loved the art and colour of Shogun 2.

By the way, in case anyone was worried about the size, it seems that if you have Shogun 2, then the new expansion is only around 9 extra gbs (after the big patch today). I compared my folder with a friends.

If you buy it on it's own, you are effectively downloading most of Shogun 2, that's why it's so big.

*grumble*

I am either the biggest idiot or I hit an annoying glitch very early in the game.

I went to declare war on my nearby pro-shogun neighbour and thought I had done so because the very next turn I got into a long drawn out naval pissing contest with another fleet.

Which annoyed me cause I had a big invasion force on his boarders ready to swoop in and take two of his provences after I institgated a rebellion in a third that he had sent his army to deal with.

After said pissing contest had finished I went to instigate my grand plan when the game announced that I was about to declare war with this clan.

*what?*

nooo I already declared war, let me at him?

Again *nope you are at peace with this clan*

so I go check who's navy I was actually fighting and it turns out I had somehow ended up declaring war with the biggest Pro-Empire faction on this side of Japan...

F*ck.

I dont know if I just wasnt paying attention or if it was a glitch. I could have sworn I clicked on the pro-shogun clan it even stated that pro-shogun clans had sided with them.

but I'm suddenly fighting my own side.

Damn this will be my third rerolling of the campaign (did 1 of each just to see the intro and get a feel for changes)

So far things I like:

-The new seasons system is very good, seasons are now split up into 4 (spring, summer, autumn, winter) and all last for six turns and carry unique properties. Farming is up 10% during spring, happiness is up during summer, farming is down 10% during autumn and winter carries a few army related nerfs, from slower troop movement to army exhaustion if a turn ends outside your provence costing you precious troops.

It really helps you to pace when you focus on expanding and when you focus on teching. You can raise the taxes a small bit during summer, then pace autumn/winter between improving your army where needed and improving a few farms so when spring hits you can go on the offence while you enjoy the economy boost from the farms to improve key structures.

Aside from that, the artillery in game is a lot of fun and naval combat has the big guns appeal of Empire without the irritating wind system.

The empire/shogun stuff hasn't played into much yet beyond giving you a huge boost in diplomacy with certain factions and a nerf with others and a lot of the more interesting changes are much further down the tech tree (such as railways). And a lot of the choices I have been asked seem very much like ones I was asked in shogun 2. But when I get the time to do a full campaign I'll come back with more thoughts.

• Advertisement

I've done the same thing - I reckon you just made a mistake though, some of the clan banners look similar sometimes.

I really like the new trade system - the old system was a pain in the ass, having to build, manage and protect trade ships. This system is far better.

Happiness plays a big role in the game now. I wonder if they took a cue from Civ on that mechanic.

Money seems harder to come by and buildings are more expensive.

Ship combat is a bit better, the first person mode is nice but I wonder is it any better than just letting the AI shoot for me. I tend to auto-resolve ship combat so the ability to bombard the shore on the campaign map really makes ships feel more worthwhile now.

I've also had to re-roll a campaign. Completely overestimated the strength of rifle units and got boxed in by a bigger clan in no time.

Gonna try the ultra-aggression route this time.

Advertisement