Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Total War Game May Be Shogun 2?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nothing more foolish then building a large and top rated army and then transporting them in just one ship

Ship gets intercepted and the army I spent years building up goes to a watery grave without even a blade drawn in anger

And I've done it more then once :o:o:o

heh thats happened me too..................on more than one occasion :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Can anyone comment on how they're finding the battle and strategic AI? No interest in playing multiplayer and after the Empire AI fiasco am a tad wary of getting this, but I really loved the first Shogun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Can anyone comment on how they're finding the battle and strategic AI? No interest in playing multiplayer and after the Empire AI fiasco am a tad wary of getting this, but I really loved the first Shogun.
    I had a big good long reply written to this but it didnt show.

AI is hit and miss
    they dont go for foreign trade ,
    they seem good with ninjas and metsukes ,
    good at amassing and moving large armies .

however they always hit your frontline in my experience havent seen any sneaky tactic with armies yet.

Battle AI hit and miss imo
    Seems relatively good in army vs army terrain battles ,
    IMO problematic at attacking castles at times , they attacked my castle with thousands of troops , i used katana calvalry to wipe out their archers they then retreated to the the corner of the map called in the reinforcements and wouldnt move until timer ran out , wasting my time even on increased speed.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

AI is definitely a step up from Empire (but that wouldn't be hard). I've seen it do both stupid and clever things. Playing a game on hard difficulty now and its proving to be a challenge. And I actually lost a province to a naval invasion.

Might yet be the best TW game yet. Still haven't finished a campaign yet though. Empire really pissed me off but all is forgiven now.

I caved and bought it. Enjoying it a lot actually, I love the historical setting and it looks and sounds great presentation-wise.

First campaign, started as the Shimazu (the guys who start at the very western end of the map) and figure will just roll to Kyoto. 13 turns later, game over as my nearest neighbours flattened me. Have to be more careful on balancing economics and conquering it seems.

As for the AI, seems a bit more sensible but it still hasn't a clue how to take castles, and sometimes enemy generals get a bit over-zealous and charge ahead of their army, right into a hail of arrows :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Hey guys, over at totalwar.com I've been reading a LOT about people having difficulty running it on there PCs, ie processor problems

Is anyone here having similar problems?

ran perfect straight outta the box , more than i can say for empire total war, was waiting weeks on that to be sorted out.

It was weird, when I got Empire it ran great for about two weeks THEN started to screw up

Keggers2 wrote: »
    It was weird, when I got Empire it ran great for about two weeks THEN started to screw up
    have you updated graphics card drivers , that helped some people

Oh that PC has since burned out!

Myself and my brother are buying a whole new rig (albeit a budget one) to celebrate Shogun 2 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone using any good mods yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Keggers2 wrote: »
    I hate reading this thread because I haven't got it yet and I feel like I'm reading through spoilers :pac:

Me too. Have to wait till I get myself a new laptop.....could be 2-3 months so have to read to get my fix of TW info. (original M:TW doesn't work on my current machine anymore......)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Have to say that I don't like it. I'm a big fan of all total war games since Rome. I even love Empire with Darthmod superpack installed. This game just seems like it's dumbed down. The strategic map is too small, and the battles just seem more like a RTS rush in and the killing is over in no time - the bows are lasers. Fast reactions over strategy perhaps?

Disappointed. Not only in the game, but in the console direction that C.A. seem to be taking with the series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Kernel wrote: »
    Have to say that I don't like it. I'm a big fan of all total war games since Rome. I even love Empire with Darthmod superpack installed. This game just seems like it's dumbed down. The strategic map is too small, and the battles just seem more like a RTS rush in and the killing is over in no time - the bows are lasers. Fast reactions over strategy perhaps?

Disappointed. Not only in the game, but in the console direction that C.A. seem to be taking with the series.

First TW game I haven;t fancied playing in a long time. I'm holding out for Rome2 or Med3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

karma_ wrote: »
    First TW game I haven;t fancied playing in a long time. I'm holding out for Rome2 or Med3.

Ah Rome 2 should be epic, unless they opt for the Shogun 2 style over substance...

One thing that they improved was the RPG element of the generals and family members, that could work well with Rome 2. First total war game where I've been like, meh, after 5 or 6 turns. :(

Can the fire arrows ability that archers have only be used once during battle?I know theres a cooling off period for it but I could only use it once.Also what building do I need to build seige weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Can the fire arrows ability that archers have only be used once during battle?I know theres a cooling off period for it but I could only use it once.Also what building do I need to build seige weapons.

Research attack by fire and that will let you build the upgraded siege engineers workshop giving you access to mangonels

Anyone else try completely assasinating the shogunate ?
    I dont think you can i keep taking out heirs and daimyos and more keep popping up , i have a fully leveled up assasin from this .

how do I post the picture I take with steam online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Should be able to grab a link via steam no ?, once you exit the game you get the option to upload via Steam.
    If not..go to your GAME LIBRARY, find your game, when the details appear..updates etc etc...scroll to the very bottom, and you should see all screenshots taken with that game there, you can then go in and should be able to upload them.

Failing that, they are stored in a specific folder on your local PC with STEAM Folder (search for 'screenshot' in Windows search whilst in your STEAM folder) which I can get later for you and you can upload to a hosting site if ye need them that way.

Also, how are people finding the clan / campaign section ?

Although the idea and premise is excellent, finding it very hard to get matches. I think 4 in my clan got it, and we are at a very low level, but finding it hard to get any kind of matchmaking going atm...still some bugs need ironing out methinks.

Also, the first person to start the game sets a timer in place for everyone, so you only get 60 secs to assemble your army if someone is over anxious.

We had some great 3v3s though, and some internal 2v2s which you still get awarded exp for :) ...loving the levelling up of your general and unlocking different units. Getting creamed for the most part as mostly mine are ashigaru vrs Yari etc , but that will change with time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You can upload them to your Steam Cloud profile then copy and paste the url for them:
    Here's a few of mine:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970556437/screenshots/

I'm pretty new to the whole Total War turn based strat map, I never really got into it in the first Shogun or or TW games, I have a question about the Chosokabe campaign, I took control of the little island, then sent my army across to the Ashikiga for the mission, but as soon as I won the siege, I got a cut-scene and it sent me back to the game menu, was that the end of it?
    The victory conditions on the campaign screen said control 25 territories by 1575, It was year 1572 or something when I won the battle, did I run out of time or did they expect me to control the whole country in a few years? :confused:

BopNiblets wrote: »
    You can upload them to your Steam Cloud profile then copy and paste the url for them:
    Here's a few of mine:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970556437/screenshots/

I'm pretty new to the whole Total War turn based strat map, I never really got into it in the first Shogun or or TW games, I have a question about the Chosokabe campaign, I took control of the little island, then sent my army across to the Ashikiga for the mission, but as soon as I won the siege, I got a cut-scene and it sent me back to the game menu, was that the end of it?
    The victory conditions on the campaign screen said control 25 territories by 1575, It was year 1572 or something when I won the battle, did I run out of time or did they expect me to control the whole country in a few years? :confused:
    that sounds like the demo you played , im sure thats where the demo ends ?
    If you own the full version of the game it sounds like a bug do a search on the total war forums for it

I have the full version indeed, so what should happen?
    Or maybe it's because I have short campaign selected?

I have the full version indeed, so what should happen?
    Or maybe it's because I have short campaign selected?
    short campaign is till 1780 i think , and even then it allows you to carry on after that .

I tried another campaign (Shimazu) but got killed pretty early, by an ally who just decided to declare war.
    Is there any sort of basic guide to tell you how to manage your lands and stuff?
    I don't mind the actual rock paper scissors battles, but this turn-based stuff is not my thing, I have no idea on what I'm supposed to be doing each turn.
    The mission goals for Shimazu were "expand to the next province, and trade with the foreigners" but mentioned nothing about backstabbing bastard neighbours with larger armies than you! :p

I tried another campaign (Shimazu) but got killed pretty early, by an ally who just decided to declare war.
    Is there any sort of basic guide to tell you how to manage your lands and stuff?
    I don't mind the actual rock paper scissors battles, but this turn-based stuff is not my thing, I have no idea on what I'm supposed to be doing each turn.
    The mission goals for Shimazu were "expand to the next province, and trade with the foreigners" but mentioned nothing about backstabbing bastard neighbours with larger armies than you! :p

Check the strategy forums at twcenter.net they should have plenty of advice for the turn based section. If you have a neighbour with a bigger army than you, unless you are on very good terms with them, expect trouble, this is feudal Japan after all :)

You can either recruit more units to make them think twice about attacking, use diplomacy (bribe them and/or offer a hostage or a marriage for peace), or get your retaliation in first.

If you attack a castle of theirs, just siege it unless you absolutely have to take it this turn. They will usually sally out to attack you after a turn or two, in which case you get to fight them in a field rather than having to break into the castle.

I did the shiamzu campaign , the trick with the early game for them is leave the enemy bring the battle to you.

let them attack your castles and always always do a castle defense yourself the computer just cannot do these properly and you will do a much better job yourself . So have your castles loaded with troops , do the defense yourself have good few archers and spearmen backed up with small amount of calv and swordsmen . When you win a castle defense do a very quick counter attack into the nearest enemy province and take the castle quickly and bunker down again .
    Rinse and repeat for early game shiamzu until you have all of the first island .
    For shiamzu dont ally with your neighbours you will need to break an alliance quite early in the game to expand and then your diplomacy with everyone will suffer early.

Also something some people missed early on is that to maintain food levels you need to upgrade farms almost every time you upgrade castle as castle upgrades consume food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Stack every single trade route you can as Shiamzu and blitzkrieg all your neighbours. I usually wait until their army is away from the main city and take it or if they won't move, I draw them away with a diversion attack. Rinse, repeat for your main island and the smaller island to your right. I have 3 or so main armies, 4 trade routes taken and stacked and bringing in about 3500+ each turn.

Any castle that doesn't earn 2000+ is used for military use, anything over that limit gets a big economy investment. Tear down any Christian buildings/ports, it just causes a lot of annoying unrest. Fight all your battles and try take the high ground in any open field battles as you can, you'll 90% come out on top against a numerical superior enemy. I try to have 2 generals in big armies, it helps having the extra influence to stop your basic infantry from routing while your heavier swordsmen or cav go for flank attacks.

Ninjas are very handy in crippiling the enemy armies before you attack. I usually train them in sabotage to gain xp on the villages and bonus buildings before going for assassinations. I'd have 1 sabotage ninja and 1 assassination ninja.

Well it took me several turns (on easy), squashing a few rebels and two very annoying metsuke, but I now hold all of Kyushu island.
    I also have a trade partner and ally in the Chosokabe, but I don't like the fact that all of half of the main island is dark blue in colour, not sure what clan it is but I guess they're more powerful than me.

• Advertisement

Have stopped playing for the moment , i have lost most of my trade in the middle of a huge war because of a bug
    An event comes up saying you have lost insence or cotten or whatever and when you go look all your trade ships are still there but you cant move them you have to scupper the lot and replace all the ships this has happened on every trade post within the last 10 turns every time it happens im down thousands every go and need to disband huge amounts of units its ridiculous .

Advertisement