Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom enacts three strikes rule

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

oceanclub wrote: »
    I'd like to know exactly what counts as "suspicious", for one. (Since I'm a non-Eircom customer it doesn't affect me but just curious.)

P.

Nothing! Eircom nor anybody else will be monitoring bandwidth usage for suspicious activity, it's a load of crap. Anyone who says so doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Inquitus wrote: »
    Noone is going to have anything done against them for suspicious web traffic, that's scaremongering.

A company hired by the IRMA is going to gather IP Addresses of Irish People using P2P to share copyrighted music and pass them to Eircom who will start issuing notices.

So megaupload-type services and Usenet traffic is fine? I guess there are plenty of ways around for Eircom customers then, especially as this only concerned downloading music.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"They're infringing on my basic human right.......I want to steal." :pac:

The 3 strikes rules is fairly tame and if you haven't learned your lesson after the 2nd strike then you deserve to have your connection cut.

Why is everybody so shocked about this, who honestly never saw this coming in regards to online piracy? An ISP was eventually gonna take this a step further (And Eircom see it as reason to open a service similiar to iTunes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

gizmo wrote: »
    If you don't download illegal material then you won't get a strike, simple as that.
    Not quite so simple. http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
    The likes of Dtecnet have made thousands of mistakes before. Families without computers have been accused of file-sharing. The detection methods they use are very error-prone. It seems they have a carpet-bombing approach which hopefully catches a few pirates along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

blubloblu wrote: »
    The likes of Dtecnet have made thousands of mistakes before. Families without computers have been accused of file-sharing. The detection methods they use are very error-prone. It seems they have a carpet-bombing approach which hopefully catches a few pirates along the way.
    Perhaps, but in that case you can dispute it and it will be overturned. If not then we will have a problem and the torch wielding mob will have something legitimate to complain about.

blubloblu wrote: »

TBH, I'll believe it when I see it. I can't see how collecting IP's joining a swarm on a P2P network could be at all error-prone. It's also not in the rights holders interest to get it wrong, if they do they'll just get unwanted negative press making it more difficult for them to catch the real pirates.

Okay, I'll try to be very clear with this...

They. will. not. be. monitoring. your. connection.

I'll be even clearer

It. doesn't. bloody. matter.
    When they trawl these pirate sites they will be harvesting IPs from torrents of copyrighted material.
    They will then send these IPs to Eircom who will match them to their customers.

[pedantic] I mean the RIAA/MPAA and parallel bodies have such a GREAT track record in this area.

Oh, and its not like its in Eircoms interest or anything to disconnect habitual high-bandwith users.

And hey, its not like they're a corrupt, unfair and overall underhanded company! I'm sure they'll hold themselves to the highest moral standards, like you and I! [/pedantic]

Maybe I'm being overtly pessimistic, but my experience with Eircom is less than sterling in even getting them to try and provide the service I paid for.

Here's it put a little more elqoquently than I
    This is not a law, it is a private arrangement, part of an out-of-court settlement between Eircom and the Irish Recorded Music Ass. Those who face disconnection will not have the opportunity to confront their accusers before a judge unless they take civil action themselves. It is, in essence, an end-run around the legal system that requires minimum effort on the part of the recording industry with maximum impact on Irish internet users.

IRMA have a contract with a company called DtecNet to monitor file sharing networks for Irish users and provide IP addresses for further action. This means they are not going to be accepting legal notices from anyone else and are not going to be tricked into disconnecting the Taoiseach any time soon

Or incurring the wrath of any business which might take umbrage and sue them for loss of profits. They're going after the soft targets; as someone else put it, it's also ''A cheap and easy way to harass ''unwanted'' users with plausible deniability.''
    Where do people get this stuff from? Do you just make it up? I work for a small company who has several premises and we use IP security cameras streaming though a VPN over the internet. The amount of bandwidth we use is several gigabytes a day.

Asides from that, your company will definitely have some variation of a business or enterprise account to account for your usage. RESIDENTIAL ACCOUNTS are subject to a ridiculous ''fair usage'' clause regardless of this recent nonsense with the IRMA.
    By your logic we're now going to get throttled by eircom because we're using excessive bandwidth, which is nothing but scaremongering bull****.

Think for a second what kind of users Eircom WANT on their network, and what kind of users they DON'T want.

Now wonder why they rolled over so quickly.

As far as I can surmise, repeated references to 'illegal downloads' are made despite the fact that there is no indication that anywhere in the process will there be an attempt made to determine whether or not the download was in fact illegal. The ISP is merely taking a third party accusation as fact.

Call it scaremongering if you want, but don't start going to personal insults. I'm going to be the last person to want to go ''I told ya so'' if my spidey-sense is correct.

The ONLY thing working in our favour is that they're only processing 50 users a week. Thats still about 2.5k a year however, a sizeable chunk when you realise how few people in this country actually have Eircom broaband.

Perhaps, but in that case you can dispute it and it will be overturned. If not then we will have a problem and the torch wielding mob will have something legitimate to complain about.

This is not a law, it is a private arrangement, part of an out-of-court settlement between Eircom and the Irish Recorded Music Association.

How many people are going to be willing to take a civil case to court rather than just change ISPs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

SSL =! Secure

It is VERY easy to MiTM a SSL connection and ALOT of ISP do it.
    1) P2P sharing, whether from private trackers or not, leaves you vulnerable to being collared by the people employed by the IRMA. They can and do join popular private tracker sites, and all Public trackers are obviously public. Even if you dont seed, and you only upload whilst downloading, they can harvest your IP and reasonably accuse you of uploading and pass on the info to eircom for your 1st strike.

2) Direct download sharing, this is not in scope at the moment, as it is download only, and has not been brought up by the IRMA, but Rapidshare and Megaupload don't provide SSL and via packet inspection your ISP can deduce what you are downloading. This would require a shift in the law, as they are trying to move towards in the UK, where ISPs are responsible for their traffic. Non SSL usenet can also be inspected in this way. A move towards packet inspection would herald a dark path to a more orwellian 1984 vision of the internet.

3) Usenet with SSL and any other direct download by SSL. This creates an encrypted tunnel between your PC directly and the source server, and does not allow your ISP to know anything more than the source IP, your IP and the volume downloaded. Given Usenet provides Linux distros as well as copyright content, this will never be a basis for prosecutions. Most Usenet providers like their direct download colleagues in RS and Mega operate out of safe havens and do not keep information of what has been downloaded, insulating their users from any future legal actions against them.

Eircom have only commited to processing 50 requests a week, from checking torrents alone they (IRMA) could probably gather a years worth of ips in an hour. Whilst this is the first step down the rocky road of internet censorship for Ireland, it's a long way from being the end of the world.

The UK Digital Economy Act, recently rushed through in the last days before the UK election represents the most savage attack on internet rights in law yet seen in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

The amount of outrage is ridiculous.
    This does not mean that they are monitoring every website you visit or what your browsing habits are.

That's not the point.

What has effectively been decided, is that your Internet access can be removed from you solely by relying on non-personal information.
    "The decision to cut people's internet was taken after High Court judge Mr Justice Peter Charleton ruled identifying users' IP address did not constitute personal information."
    http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/Eircom0089/category/936

So what we have here is a ruling that says an IP address is not actually personal information, yet we can use it to completely curtail access for someone?

--

Consider the amount of small businesses such as cafes and guesthouses that want to offer wireless Internet to their customers. This action effectively prevents them from doing that. They can firewall off all access except HTTP, but this prevents usage of other net services, and trying to separate p2p from other traffic is a far from trivial task.

Also consider that there is rarely a 1-to-1 mapping of IP to user in other domestic and business situations. Insecure wireless routers, teenagers downloading etc. can lead to sanctions against innocent parties.

If you get thrown off Eircom, perhaps you can join another ISP, for now at least. But what happens when you need email to conduct business, you need to submit applications online, generally, all the day to day facilities that we take for granted?

Tough luck, according to IRMA. And don't believe for a second that these people will not push for enforcing this across all ISPs after their experiment with Eircom, if they can get away with it.

Dick & co. have decided for us that we don't really need the EU to say whether that's important or not. Trust us, they say, we know better, and after all, won't someone please think of the recording artists?

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    I'll be even clearer

It. doesn't. bloody. matter.

[pedantic] I mean the RIAA/MPAA and parallel bodies have such a GREAT track record in this area.

Oh, and its not like its in Eircoms interest or anything to disconnect habitual high-bandwith users.

And hey, its not like they're a corrupt, unfair and overall underhanded company! I'm sure they'll hold themselves to the highest moral standards, like you and I! [/pedantic]

Maybe I'm being overtly pessimistic, but my experience with Eircom is less than sterling in even getting them to try and provide the service I paid for.

Here's it put a little more elqoquently than I

Or incurring the wrath of any business which might take umbrage and sue them for loss of profits. They're going after the soft targets; as someone else put it, it's also ''A cheap and easy way to harass ''unwanted'' users with plausible deniability.''

Asides from that, your company will definitely have some variation of a business or enterprise account to account for your usage. RESIDENTIAL ACCOUNTS are subject to a ridiculous ''fair usage'' clause regardless of this recent nonsense with the IRMA.

Think for a second what kind of users Eircom WANT on their network, and what kind of users they DON'T want.

Now wonder why they rolled over so quickly.

As far as I can surmise, repeated references to 'illegal downloads' are made despite the fact that there is no indication that anywhere in the process will there be an attempt made to determine whether or not the download was in fact illegal. The ISP is merely taking a third party accusation as fact.

Call it scaremongering if you want, but don't start going to personal insults. I'm going to be the last person to want to go ''I told ya so'' if my spidey-sense is correct.

The ONLY thing working in our favour is that they're only processing 50 users a week. Thats still about 2.5k a year however, a sizeable chunk when you realise how few people in this country actually have Eircom broaband.

Again you're taking the facts of the case and coming up with completely unfounded conjecture. We know fairly precisely how they will be going about this, the methods they'll be using are fairly fool proof.

It's in no ones interest to harass an innocent party least of all the ISP. Anyone with any sense who is getting harassed by their ISP will immediately switch. Any company that decides to drive away it's own customers isn't going to last very long!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love the picture BBC are using for this news piece :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10152623.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SSL =! Secure

It is VERY easy to MiTM a SSL connection and ALOT of ISP do it.

It's not that easy to MiTM an SSL connection, especially on a large scale, its of questionable morality and perhaps questionable legality too, and its certainly not cost effective.

ISPs are fighting tooth and nail not to become the internet police, due to the hefty costs that will be involved in packet sniffing, MiTM on SSL etc.

If it got out that an ISP was MiTM your SSL connections to the web which would include your online purchases, online banking etc. there would be a ****ing riot imo.

It's not that easy to MiTM an SSL connection, especially on a large scale, its of questionable morality and perhaps questionable legality too, and its certainly not cost effective.

ISPs are fighting tooth and nail not to become the internet police, due to the hefty costs that will be involved in packet sniffing, MiTM on SSL etc.

If it got out that an ISP was MiTM your SSL connections to the web which would include your online purchases, online banking etc. there would be a ****ing riot imo.

It should be illegal if it's not already to MiTM an SSL connection the same way it's illegal to open someone's post marked private.

sink wrote: »
    Again you're taking the facts of the case and coming up with completely unfounded conjecture. We know fairly precisely how they will be going about this, the methods they'll be using are fairly fool proof.

Now *that* is unfounded conjecture
    It's in no ones interest to harass an innocent party least of all the ISP. Anyone with any sense who is getting harassed by their ISP will immediately switch. Any company that decides to drive away it's own customers isn't going to last very long!

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Eircom are the biggest wired broadband provider
    Eircom own the phonelines.

When everyone starts jumping ship, they still make nearly as much money through reselling (when you take into consideration the admin costs etc...) and their own service will jump in performance.

All they then have to do is refuse to resell any further broadband capacity to other companies and, Bobs your uncle, they start looking like the lesser of two evils.

The *dream* of every broadband provider is to be able to cut off the top 10% of their bandwith hogs on residential accounts and then to be able to make the case of plausible deniability should they be brought to court for denial of service (i.e. the onus is no longer on them to prove copyright infringement).

It could be something as simple as one digit being off in a series of 16 digit IP addresses. How hard is it going to be to get a judge to rule in your favour when you've 50 or so coming in a week and they're afforded zero legal protection due to the latest ruling. Especially when most Irish judges barely know how to operate a microwave.

I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS ANY COINCIDENCE THAT THE LAUNCH OF ''NGB'' AND THEIR PRIVATE ARRANGEMENT WITH IRMA COINCIDE.

If you disagree, thats fine. Dismiss me as a conspiracy theorist or whatever you want. Just don't insinuate that I ''don't get it''. I've a lot of anecdotal and personal information at my disposal in relation to Eircom, and I've drawn conclusions based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS ANY COINCIDENCE THAT THE LAUNCH OF ''NGB'' AND THEIR PRIVATE ARRANGEMENT WITH IRMA COINCIDE.

If you disagree, thats fine. Dismiss me as a conspiracy theorist or whatever you want. Just don't insinuate that I ''don't get it''. I've a lot of anecdotal and personal information at my disposal in relation to Eircom, and I've drawn conclusions based on that.

I've a lot of anecdotal and personal information at my disposal in relation to the Moon Landings and I can tell you cthey never happened. :D

Now *that* is unfounded conjecture

No it's not, they've stated they'll be going after uploaders, which means people who share on P2P networks and the most logical, simplest and cheapest way to do that is to join the networks themselves and gathering the IP's of those uploading. That's called deductive reasoning. Anything over an above that is unfounded conjecture.

When everyone starts jumping ship, they still make nearly as much money through reselling (when you take into consideration the admin costs etc...) and their own service will jump in performance.

All they then have to do is refuse to resell any further broadband capacity to other companies and, Bobs your uncle, they start looking like the lesser of two evils.

The *dream* of every broadband provider is to be able to cut off the top 10% of their bandwith hogs on residential accounts and then to be able to make the case of plausible deniability should they be brought to court for denial of service (i.e. the onus is no longer on them to prove copyright infringement).

It could be something as simple as one digit being off in a series of 16 digit IP addresses. How hard is it going to be to get a judge to rule in your favour when you've 50 or so coming in a week and they're afforded zero legal protection due to the latest ruling. Especially when most Irish judges barely know how to operate a microwave.

Eircom currently have the right to stop providing service to anyone at the end of their contract. They also have the right to throttle bandwidth in accordance with their fair use policy. They don't need the excuse of IRMA to do any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

eicom dont own the cable i and many others receive UPC internet from so they will still make a loss.

No it's not, they've stated they'll be going after uploaders, which means people who share on P2P networks and the most logical, simplest and cheapest way to do that is to join the networks themselves and gathering the IP's of those uploading.

They also stated that they'd provide a fast and reliable service.

(I was about to start a whole list of sentences starting with ''they also stated'' and detailing their ridiculous business practices over the last couple of years, but I realised I'd be here all day. You get my point I feel, even if you dsiagree with it)
    That's called deductive reasoning. Anything over an above that is unfounded conjecture.

The press release from a lobbyist group of record labels is conjecture.

Looking at how the parallel groups in other countries have operated in an incredibly immoral and ludicrous fashion and then pointing out that this might happen again? That, I feel, is deductive reasoning
    They don't need the excuse of IRMA to do any of that.

No, but they have plausible deniability if they stepped out of line legally at any point or if something went wrong. They can put as many tricky clauses in their contract as they like, it only takes a single judge to rule in favour of denial of service for them to take a horrific blow.

• Advertisement

tiocimarla wrote: »
    eicom dont own the cable i and many others receive UPC internet from so they will still make a loss.

And what happens when they take UPC to court (they already are) and end up with another extrajudicial ''arrangement'' ?

The precedent is already set that IP addresses don't constitute privileged information; the grunt work is already done.

Are people not reaching the same conclusions that I'm reaching, or is there some glaring flaw in my hypothesis that I'm missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Net neutrality, it was nice knowing you.

They also stated that they'd provide a fast and reliable service.

(I was about to start a whole list of sentences starting with ''they also stated'' and detailing their ridiculous business practices over the last couple of years, but I realised I'd be here all day. You get my point I feel, even if you dsiagree with it)

The press release from a lobbyist group of record labels is conjecture.

Looking at how the parallel groups in other countries have operated in an incredibly immoral and ludicrous fashion and then pointing out that this might happen again? That, I feel, is deductive reasoning

BTW looking back I should have said inductive reasoning, not deductive, but that's just me being pedantic.

I don't trust sources who seem to have an agenda and that's were the majority of scare stories come from. I haven't really looked into the situation in other countries at an great depth so I can't really judge.

No, but they have plausible deniability if they stepped out of line legally at any point or if something went wrong. They can put as many tricky clauses in their contract as they like, it only takes a single judge to rule in favour of denial of service for them to take a horrific blow.

I'm not aware of any such law requiring any private company to give compulsory service outside of a contract. Although i'm not a lawyer so I could be mistaken. Do you have a source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I think this is *good* news, services like tor, freenet and I2P have shown that it's possible to have anonymous uploading and downloading, the downside is that it halves your network bandwidth. Unless you have global reach (and even then it would be hard) into pretty much all ISPs, it's impossible to tell who's sharing and who's downloading what - for those interested all requests go through an intermediary who doesn't really want to file they just forward a request. So the uploader never sees the downloader and vice-versa. Anyone joining the swarm can't see real uploaders or downloaders of any file.

It would be possible to build a p2p network today, what's missing is the incentive - people like Irma and Eircom are now providing it - once an anonymous service is established it's pretty much game over for copyright holders the world over.

And what happens when they take UPC to court (they already are) and end up with another extrajudicial ''arrangement'' ?

The precedent is already set that IP addresses don't constitute privileged information; the grunt work is already done.

Are people not reaching the same conclusions that I'm reaching, or is there some glaring flaw in my hypothesis that I'm missing?

Ye i know but UPC are going to fight it all the way. They are Europes largest cable operator and they have already stated they wont bend over. They have more money than eircom, better legal team and a constantly increasing clientel. Eircom has a large share in Irelands internet, but they dont own it all. What happens when sky broadband comes here like in the uk. I doubt they will take this lying down either

I don't trust sources who seem to have an agenda and that's were the majority of scare stories come from. I haven't really looked into the situation in other countries at an great depth so I can't really judge.

So why then do you feel you have the authority to completely dismiss my widely backed and researched hypotheses?

There is a HUGE volume of neutral knowledge out there outlining *exactly* how dangerous the RIAA and similar bodies are when they get a foothold. I believe several links with credible and indisputable information are already on-thread.

This included suing dead people, suing people who don't have computers etc... based on IP addresses. This is the infallible evidence you refer to, and the exact same companies operating under a different banner in a different country.

You then put your complete trust in a MUSIC INDUSTRY LOBBYIST GROUP (As that is IRMA is) which WHOLLY CONSISTS of the Irish heads of International record labels whose trackrecord is nothing short of criminal both to their own artists and to the consumers.

Your *only* source quoted is from this bunch of scumbags. Forgive me if I don't find them wholly credibile.

I'm not aware of any such law requiring any private company to give compulsory service outside of a contract. Although i'm not a lawyer so I could be mistaken. Do you have a source?

Whereas contract law is the tenant of all law as far as I'm concerned, it only takes a judges ruling that some element of malfeasance, professional misconduct or some such other discretionary offence has been performed.

I'll remind you, they don't need to have done something wrong, a Judge just needs to believe so and rule as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That's something I was wondering about, even though I'm with Vodafone we still use Eircom's infrastructure so at some point along the line we're basically still using Eircom's service so does that not mean every reseller of Eircom's broadband will have to abide by the 3-strikes system or will it only be those dealing directly with Eircom?

Ye i know but UPC are going to fight it all the way. They are Europes largest cable operator and they have already stated they wont bend over. They have more money than eircom, better legal team and a constantly increasing clientel. Eircom has a large share in Irelands internet, but they dont own it all. What happens when sky broadband comes here like in the uk. I doubt they will take this lying down either

If this is the case then I'll happily hop over, even just to screw those f*ckers over on the line rental. Won't be long before the country is using Skype anyway.

Tbh I get most of the music I'm interested in on promo or whitelabel at this stage. This whole situation doesn't affect me, but as proponent of free speech and digital rights, I'm incredibly concerned about the repercussions.

That's something I was wondering about, even though I'm with Vodafone we still use Eircom's infrastructure so at some point along the line we're basically still using Eircom's service so does that not mean every reseller of Eircom's broadband will have to abide by the 3-strikes system or will it only be those dealing directly with Eircom?

Only those directly dealing with Eircom AFAIK.

Again, an academic issue in any case. They'll be hitting those lads next. The biggest has fallen, the pawns will follow suit.

• Advertisement

Yep Doesnt effect me either being UPC and all, yet that is we will see how it plays out. Im just concerned for the freedom of the internet to be more restricted. I understand why certain restrictions are on certain illegal sites(sex industry etc) Where people are exploited and so on. But restrictions on basic web browsing and site searches is a bit much. And what for? So Celebs can put it up their noses and tell us they have it hard. Ye right. Priorities are messed up.

So Celebs can put it up their noses and tell us they have it hard. Ye right. Priorities are messed up.

A ridiculously small fraction of the proceeds goes towards the artist. The labels are a dinosaur who existed because a lot of very rich men had the distribution channels tied up pre-internet. Similarly, the means of production was controlled to a wide extent as the barriers to entry were so high that some level of co-operation was needed

Now music has gone digital and the distribution channels are wide open.

The artists still make shag-all money. True that the labels have taken a hit from their *SUPER NORMAL PROFITS* (economics term, look it up) but because of the internet, and the free distribution of music, the LIVE performance revenues of artists are skyrocketing - especially for electronic musicians or DJs.

UK-music-industry-revenue.png

The people who are putting it up their noses are the pricks who lob complete nonsense into the charts because its the most cost effective thing to do.

Musicians are making more now then they ever were

http://labs.timesonline.co.uk/blog/2009/11/12/do-music-artists-do-better-in-a-world-with-illegal-file-sharing/

This is almost WHOLLY attributed to filesharing by a number of leading academics and independent, neutral bodies.

The problem here is not starving musicians. It seems that people have a set budget constraint for music, and when the parts of it that can be captured in a file-format fall in price, it simply diverts that savings into other forms of music spending. The problem now is that the artists are getting a bigger chunk of the pie and that is not how the record industry is supposed to work!

I'm a gigging musician and DJ and I wholly disregard any and all of the actions of the so called ''IRMA'' as being of any benefit to me, or the many extremely talented musicians and performers in Ireland. We've been taken for a ride around the paddock as a generation of artists and we finally have the ability to stop the nonsense - unfortunately a lot of very very rich people are going to take umbrage with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

750,000 Eircom Broadband users...I wonder if they'll even have 10% of that this time next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

nuxxx wrote: »
    Time to drift the seas and plunder the booty.

Im not gonna quote it again buts its just beutiful;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

How stupid can a company be. They are really just asking for people to switch their network provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jgjkl

well done Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

poisonated wrote: »
    How stupid can a company be. They are really just asking for people to switch their network provider.
    Sucks for people who still have a long contract time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

wanrek wrote: »
    750,000 Eircom Broadband users...I wonder if they'll even have 10% of that this time next year...

Of course they will :confused:

Anyone who knows the reality of what the three strike rule is, won't be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

As a former employee of Eircom I can honestly say I wish them nothing but bad luck and harm.

Jim? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Mark200 wrote: »
    Of course they will :confused:

Anyone who knows the reality of what the three strike rule is, won't be going anywhere.
    Are you and the couple of others in the merry gang still pushing your nonsense? Some hard spinning going on here and no mistake. Ah to live in the happy fairyland where companies don't have to obey laws.

Actually I'm really glad I don't live there.

I think 10% is too high though, hopefully they'll not only lose most of their customer base but the last mile connection will be renationalised. Long overdue to be honest, Singapore Telecom overpaid for it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Got a nice email today :pac:

Dear Customer,

You are now successfully back with eircom!

facepalm-self

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

All of these people saying it doesn't affect them... if IRMA can do this to one ISP they can, and WILL, do it to the rest of them.

The way I see it, regardless of your feelings about piracy, this move amounts to internet censorship by a private special interest company. Legislation is lagging far behind the technology, and at this time we do not have recognition of internet access as a fundamental right, so we will have to fight for it through other means.

So, how's about we stop ****eing about on the internet and steer this thread towards actually doing something about it?

In my assessment, the best approach is to actively discourage people from buying from the big 4 labels (Warner, Sony/BMG, EMI, Universal). The IRMA has 50+ members so we can't target them all, but can encourage people to contact the smaller labels to let them know that they won't be buying any of their stuff.

The IRMA are doing this as their function is to protect profits for the music industry, so if we can make the IRMA a liability instead of an asset to them, then we stand a fighting chance.

Anyone who realises that the free flow of information is the best thing to happen in the last 20 years, and is worth fighting for, PM me or reply on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Are you and the couple of others in the merry gang still pushing your nonsense? Some hard spinning going on here and no mistake. Ah to live in the happy fairyland where companies don't have to obey laws.

Actually I'm really glad I don't live there.

I think 10% is too high though, hopefully they'll not only lose most of their customer base but the last mile connection will be renationalised. Long overdue to be honest, Singapore Telecom overpaid for it anyway.

here's the deal. If the European court overturn this anytime in the next....I'm gonna say three years, I'll donate 200 euro to your party or the charity of your choice.

IF they don't, or if they indicate that they won't - you agree never to post on boards ever again.

deal?

tbh wrote: »
    here's the deal. If the European court overturn this anytime in the next....I'm gonna say three years, I'll donate 200 euro to your party or the charity of your choice.

IF they don't, or if they indicate that they won't - you agree never to post on boards ever again.

deal?
    Seems a bit one sided doesn't it? Most people would hardly miss €200, but the opportunity to let people know when private companies are trying to sidestep the law and courts of justice might well be called priceless, to a civic minded individual.

To give your offer credit though, its the first time anyone has mentioned hard cash in relation to stopping me posting. I'll take that as a positive sign.

Seems a bit one sided doesn't it? Most people would hardly miss €200, but the opportunity to let people know when private companies are trying to sidestep the law and courts of justice might well be called priceless, to a civic minded individual.

To give your offer credit though, its the first time anyone has mentioned hard cash in relation to stopping me posting. I'll take that as a positive sign.

ok 500. do we have a deal? oh and I'm not offering you the money to stop you posting. You get to keep posting, and you get e500.

ok 500.
    Make it seven hundred and fifty thousand, a euro for every Eircom customer that got shafted, and donate it to Eircom, they'll need it.

On second thoughts, maybe just look up priceless.

Make it seven hundred and fifty thousand, a euro for every Eircom customer that got shafted, and donate it to Eircom, they'll need it.

On second thoughts, maybe just look up priceless.

you're fcking full of it dude. Are you going to put your money where your mouth is, and stand over what you've been saying on this thread?

Do. We. Have. A. Deal?

you're fcking full of it dude. Are you going to put your money where your mouth is, and stand over what you've been saying on this thread?
    I have no particular need to stand over the facts in the thread, since facts stand entirely by themselves, needing no assistance from me or anyone else.
    Do. We. Have. A. Deal?
    Whats the absolute most you would put towards this wager? And I mean the most.

I have no particular need to stand over the facts in the thread, since facts stand entirely by themselves, needing no assistance from me or anyone else.

Whats the absolute most you would put towards this wager? And I mean the most.

I'll put my account on the line. I win, you never post again. You win, I never post again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement