Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Morgan Test cricketer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

His likely replacements at 6 are Ravi Bopara and Samit Patel...lets be honest neither of them are going to set the cricketing world alight and I can't see either of them cementing the no 6 spot on the Sri Lankan tour.

If Morgs gets his priorities right and really wants his Test place back all he has to do is make some runs for Middlesex early season and not the Kolkata Knight Riders!! But with the money on offer for what is really a few weeks of fun I wouldn't blame him either if he puts the IPL first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Does anyone think that Morgan might (say in a year or so's time) give up on his dream to play test cricket w/ Engerland and come back to play for Ireland if he hasn't got a sniff of a test squad again?

Or would he happy to be T20/ODI-er with a nation that can actually compete for trophies.... what say ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

full_irish wrote: »
    Does anyone think that Morgan might (say in a year or so's time) give up on his dream to play test cricket w/ Engerland and come back to play for Ireland if he hasn't got a sniff of a test squad again?

Or would he happy to be T20/ODI-er with a nation that can actually compete for trophies.... what say ye?

I think that while he is still being selected to play one day cricket he will continue to play for England. I honestly dont see him playing for Ireland again for a long time; he would need to not play for England in all forms of the game for 4 years before he can play for Ireland, and I really dont see any reason to think that he will make a conscious decision not to play ODI cricket for England for the next 4 years just so he can come back to play for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It really should be stickied how long a player needs to wait to play for Ireland again after playing for another country, in all forms of the game!

I feel its a bit **** that you can swip/swap at all... without use of the glorious 'granny rule' that has given us many a sports-star in the round ball game.

But then we would be without quite a few players ourself if this was the case, so it seems to swing and roundabouts really at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

full_irish wrote: »
    I feel its a bit **** that you can swip/swap at all... without use of the glorious 'granny rule' that has given us many a sports-star in the round ball game.

But then we would be without quite a few players ourself if this was the case, so it seems to swing and roundabouts really at the end of the day.

round ball game?

Cricket? Tennis? Basketball? Baseball? ;)

kryogen wrote: »
    round ball game?

Cricket? Tennis? Basketball? Baseball? ;)

Ah yes, cus Ireland are well known for our prowess in tennis, bball and especially baseball!!

Out of interest, how many more round ball sports other than the obvious I was referring to?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

booth70 wrote: »
    His likely replacements at 6 are Ravi Bopara and Samit Patel...lets be honest neither of them are going to set the cricketing world alight and I can't see either of them cementing the no 6 spot on the Sri Lankan tour.

Good point about his replacements... remember the last time Rav went to Sri Lanka?

Innings by innings list
    Runs Mins BF 4s 6s SR Pos Dismissal Inns Opposition Ground

Start Date
    8 26 22 0 0 36.36 6 caught 2 v Sri Lanka Kandy 1 Dec 2007 Test # 1851
    34 58 42 7 0 80.95 7 lbw 4 v Sri Lanka Kandy 1 Dec 2007 Test # 1851
    0 1 1 0 0 0.00 6 bowled 1 v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 9 Dec 2007 Test # 1853
    DNB - - - - - - - 3 v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 9 Dec 2007 Test # 1853
    0 7 7 0 0 0.00 6 caught 2 v Sri Lanka Galle 18 Dec 2007 Test # 1854
    0 1 1 0 0 0.00 6 run out 3 v Sri Lanka Galle 18 Dec 2007 Test # 1854

In fact, apart from his run of 3 centuries out of 3 innings in back to back series against the West Indies in 2009, he has failed to pass 50!

Advertisement