Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Only 18 members signed in

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

freighter wrote: »
    ......infrstucture forum now to report on the ..

Don't get me started..... :mad: :mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Matt Simis wrote: »
    My way is more educational, thats why German car drivers are so smart. :P:cool:

For instance, today I fixed a glaring design flaw in the BMW V12 design:
    IMG_0807copy.jpg
    Its not meant to be unscrewing it self like that!

Another classic is the oil pump bolts unscrewing in M60 and M62 V8s, plenty of owners have found them lying in the pan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My way is more educational, thats why German car drivers are so smart. :P:cool:
    LOL! :)

Is that a SOHC I see with 2 valves per cylinder?

What is it that working itself loose... is it a bolt holding on an oil rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JHMEG wrote: »
    LOL! :)

Is that a SOHC I see with 2 valves per cylinder?

What is it that working itself loose... is it a bolt holding on an oil rail?

Yep SOHC, as the yanks call it, dinosaur technology (yes even by American standards the M70/S70 is antiquated).
    The bolt is one of 5 banjo bolts (per engine side) that feeds oil into the oil spray bar. This one would have been shooting oil into the rocker cover sides and not into the spray bar at all. This would cause excessive wear on the Cam lobes. Damage may already be done, I should have removed the nuts either side and looked under, may look like this (hope not):
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/TxGr8White/100_0418.jpg
    (Not my car).

At the very least I can rest assured damage is limited now and prevented for the future as I opened both engine sides and thread locked all 10 banjo bolts in place.

Given the heat, had to take water breaks frequently too, the wheel arch was so hot it was burning my legs! Its a long engine bay to be leaning into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yep SOHC, as the yanks call it,
    Yeah, mine's the same, tho only 2 valves per cylinder to make room for a 2nd plug per cylinder. All bar one cylinder can have the valves paused to reduce pumping losses too.
    I should have removed the nuts either side and looked under, may look like this (hope not):
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/TxGr8White/100_0418.jpg
    (Not my car).
    Oops. Hope not is right.
    Given the heat, had to take water breaks frequently too, the wheel arch was so hot it was burning my legs! Its a long engine bay to be leaning into.
    I didn't have any such problem as I was in the garden drinking beer all day! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Stinicker wrote: »
    No but the Priest's Leap starts at the bottom of that road you are talking about which is through the Borlin valley., The Priests leap starts at Coomhola and goes up over the Mountains and down to Bonane, at the summit it is 471 metres high according to the satnav!

According to legend a priest was being pursued by British soldiers intent on killing him and when at the top he instructed his horse to take a fantastic magical leap and he whipped the ground twice and the horse leapt to somewhere down in Bantry town square.

http://www.bonane.com/history/priest_leap.htm

I am off to drive that one now. Only 12 people signed in now...:)

Advertisement