Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

xebec wrote: »
    You going to Cork to Cobh? Still trying to make my mind up on it...

And 'just a couple of half marathons'?! The guys in work think I'm mad doing another one this week after pacing last week, if only they knew what some of you crazy feckers get up to...

Well, I'm going to be nearby Cork on that weekend and its only a tenner for BHAA members, would be rude not to do it :-)

The half marathons and Cork - Cobh would be just longish runs to tide me from Dingle to Dublin. I dont think I'll get a chance to knock out anything longer before the taper. The transition into the P&D schedule isnt going as smoothly as I hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »

This evening in Tymon was a bit more productive. The one time I really could have done with the Garmin because I was doing some good pace in places dispite the strong wind. Would have liked to have all the stats

4.4M in 37 mins (Avg 8.24 pace)

Didn't see you in Tymon this evening But I was going a fair clip myself (for a change) and not really looking around me. The wind was really strong in places, especially running up the hill from the kids Playground.

I'll be there tomorrow evening again for 7 or 8 @ 8:30 pace (approx) if you fancy it?

I was finished by 6pm, so I was probably gone by the time you got there.

I'm away tomorrow evening, so I wont be able to meet up for a run, but that distance and pace would have been handy for me.:(

I was finished by 6pm, so I was probably gone by the time you got there.

I'm away tomorrow evening, so I wont be able to meet up for a run, but that distance and pace would have been handy for me.:(

No worries.
    I'll think* about the advice you gave me on my thread. But tbh, PMP miles are not affecting my groin (I went a lot faster tonight and no harm) at all and I would have a days rest and Physio anyway before the half.

*think = +/- ignore

menoscemo wrote: »
    No worries.
    I'll think* about the advice you gave me on my thread. But tbh, PMP miles are not affecting my groin (I went a lot faster tonight and no harm) at all and I would have a days rest and Physio anyway before the half.

*think = +/- ignore

OK, I'll wear my 'told you so' teeshirt in Ryans after the race, just in case, :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

How do you feel now that Dingle is a good 10 days ago?
    I have done two runs this week and am starting to feel a lot better. Mind you I wasn't exactly in top shape in Dingle. I could feel the loss of conditioning in the week up to Dingle but hopefully I will be in good shape for an attempt at a PB in Dublin in October.
    I have decided to follow the last 6 weeks training plan of the First marathon training program. With a few extra runs per week.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're back on the road again Sarsfieldrock, I was keeping an eye on your log. Did you do up a race report for Dingle anywhere? Just read Mice Rice's report on the Connemara 100, Savage stuff.

The running is grand, but feel like I don't have the power in the legs for any speed.

Went back running a couple of days after the race, but haven't gone over 6 miles so far and not likely to before the half on Saturday. Was hoping for a 1:40 on Saturday, but after Firhouse, I think thats way too ambitious and would be thankful for a 1:45:xx on the day.

I'm trying to get into the P&D schedule for the last few weeks, but I think the Speed work is at a peak now and difficult to catch up, then the taper will start kicking in, so I'm not sure if speed work will do me any good over the next few weeks.

I'll see how the Half goes on Saturday then might have to modify the P&D plan if the speed work it too much to get any benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Hoping that the legs have fully recovered from Dingle and that the pace starts picking up again now.
    I read somewhere it takes a day to fully recover for each mile you run in a race competitively - so you should be back to normal by 22 October!

I think this might be an exaggeration, but I was knocked out for a month after Connemara, so you are doing well to be back training already.

mithril wrote: »
    I read somewhere it takes a day to fully recover for each mile you run in a race competitively - so you should be back to normal by 22 October!

I think this might be an exaggeration, but I was knocked out for a month after Connemara, so you are doing well to be back training already.

I've heard that guideline too, but too impatient to test it out. I actually got a PB on my 10k two weeks after Connemara, which is why I was hoping I'd do some decent time either last weekend or this Saturday, but I'm not getting my hopes up for Saturday.

I see you are planning the Art O'Neill challenge. I might look into this too just for the sake of shifting the excess Christmas pudding padding. ;)

Set the alarm for 6:30 this morning for an 8M run. Woke up at 5am and switched the alarm off for a nice long snooze.

7am, woke up again, felt guilty and thought I better go and do some.

Forgot to reset my Garmin to miles after the Firhouse 10k (found it wedged into one of my runners). Only had time to do an 8k run. Started off slowly, got progressively quicker in the middle but then quickly ran out of steam near the end, so was a bit of a non runner (excuse pun). Was difficult to gauge my progress in mins/km, but was nothing near my race pace last Saturday.

Was going to do another 5 miles at lunchtime, but just before it, I stood up a bit too quick and felt a bit of a twinge in the groin. After Menoscemo's adventures with his injury, I decided to give it a miss in case I was overdoing it and rest up till tomorrow evening.

8k in 45:39 (9:11 min/mile pace) (5:42 min/km)

• Advertisement

Had planned to do a bit of runing in the park this evening with Mencscemo, but legs still feel a bit sluggish since yesterday, so I'm just going to take it easy for the next couple of days and do no running. Maybe just a few stretches to limber up the legs and hopfully squeeze all the bad stuff out of the muscles and make room for the fuel ;)

Weather looked nice this lunchtime, so with the gear in the back of the car, I went for an impromptu run to check the twitchy fibres before tomorrow.

3.5M along the canal in 31:52 (9:07 pace)

wasn't putting in any effort, just loosening up everything.

This is actually only my 3rd proper half marathon race. I should be in line for a PB tomorrow. :D

Felt good getting up. Plenty of water, bowl of porridge, couple of slices of toast and chocolate spread and mug of coffee.

Decided to spend a bit of time doing a new warm up routine to see if it improves my overall performance. Started off with a 5 min jog starting off slowly and building up to a pace of 1 min/mile slower then race pace. 10 mins of stretching. Another 5 mins running finishing off at race pace, then 10 more mins stretching. (according to P&D)

On second warm up, I spotted Xebec, sneaked up behind him and sang 'Happy Birthday' to him :D)

Started off in the first wave with Gerard65 beside the 1:40 pacer Peckham. Kept the pace with them for over 3 miles but slowed for the first water station because the mouth felt quite dry despite lots of hydration over last couple of days.

The out and back loop on the Chesterfield Road gave me a chance to spot other boardsies and salute them.I was expecting to pick up pace again on the downhill part of Chesterfiend Road, but because it was all on the path, might have been deceptive and couldn't take advantage of the downhill.

Surprisingly, the first 10k was run at the exact same time as the 10k race in the Firhouse last week.

Took a gel at the 2nd water station. I didn't need it for the carbs, but I actually get a bit of a boost from it at some stage and with all the hills just ahead, It was what I needed, however, the Gel never kicked in at all. very strange.

Ran the hills well, but at mile 10, the sub 1:45 time was slipping away as the overall pace was up to 8:05 with hills ahead. would have to do a lot of work to knock off 50 seconds over the last 3 miles.

Was really happy in the last mile. I picked up the pace to 7:57 to overtake a few people and enjoy the final buzz. Was a bit disheartening on the last stretch of Chesterfield road before turning into Furze road. The announcer was counting down the time for anyone trying to make the sub 1:45 and I still had about 600M away. Mind you, that was clock time, not chip time and I still had a chance of getting close to it and managed a little sprint at the end. Not my usual sprint, but a modest one anyway.

finished in 1:46:19 taking off over 4 minutes from my best time in the Cork Half Marathon last year. Was disappointed in not getting the sub 1:45 but delighted when I realised how much I took off my best time in a year.

Macmillan now has me down for 3:44:13 for Dublin. Creeping to-wards the 3:30 slowly. Maybe next near.

Spent a long long time in Ryans hydrating with all the Boardsies. Was great fun. Particularly when RQ was told to keep the noise down by the barman. Bulmers always tastes better straight after a race and they do a savage home made burger and chips.

Think I ended up agreeing to a few more marathons and Ultra races over the course of the drinking. Just as well I didn't have a laptop to sign up for them all on line. :rolleyes:

13.1M in 1:46:19 (8:03 pace)

Just a light recovery yesterday.

4M in 38:26 (9:37 pace)

9M in 1:16:05 (8:27 pace)

Was comfortable running. Spent a bit of time running in the trails of the park which seemed to slow me down, concentrating too much on the terrain ahead and not getting into a decent rhythm

15M run today. Thought I might be lucky enough to avoid the rain . FAIL!

Did the first 10M with sub 9min pace for each of them, despite throwing in the nasty long hill from the bottom of Churchtown to the top of Foster's avenue via Goatstown and a few other hills and challenges like a bit of muddy trail running in Bushy when it got dark with the first downpour.

After mile 10, I was getting a bit thirsty so bought a lovely cold Lucozade Sport which went down well. By mile 12, the heavens opened and the rain poured frantically and never eased up for the rest of the run. Within minutes, the paths were flooded, cars were giving me mini tsunamis and my running gear felt about 50 times heavier. Lost the momentum at this point, particularly as I was running the last 3M around my estate to make up the 15 and could have just thrown in the soggy towel and gone home. Last three miles were 10:xx pace so messed up my progress for the first 12M.

15M in 2:22 (9:28 pace)

5M recovery at lunchtime after the aquathon last night. Deliberately went out very slow, but when I got halfway, I thought, Fcuk it! and legged it back to the office for a nice hot shower and then lunch. Why is it when you are hungry, you can smell every bakery, chipper and Chinese takeaway within a 5 mile radius.

Was good to pick up the pace towards the end, after the miles in the last two training sessions.

1: 9:36
    2: 9:48
    3: 9:28 (1st half slow, turned around and picked up the pace)
    4: 8:45
    5: 8:10

5M in 45:50 (9:12 pace HR avg 139)

A better recovery run then I set out to do, although a bit faster then recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

In the Park on Saturday for LSR?

In the Park on Saturday for LSR?

Hmm. What distance? I'm thinking of resting up on Saturday and do the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday morning, follwed by 18 miles or so afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Hmm. What distance? I'm thinking of resting up on Saturday and do the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday morning, follwed by 18 miles or so afterwards.

Myself and chinguetti are doing 20, others are doing distances from 13 up and first lap is planned for 11 miles so really can keep the distance down if you want...

You're crazy! I can barely walk after 5k races, not to mind thinking about going for another 18 miles :eek:

• Advertisement

Myself and chinguetti are doing 20, others are doing distances from 13 up and first lap is planned for 11 miles so really can keep the distance down if you want...

You're crazy! I can barely walk after 5k races, not to mind thinking about going for another 18 miles :eek:

I would be cautious here as well. Remember its the recovery process from a run that creates the adaptation that makes you faster next time, rather than the intense exercise itself.

By doing a LSR immediately afterwards, I think you negate a lot of the benefit of the 5 K run plus you have a high likelihood of picking up an injury.

mithril wrote: »
    I would be cautious here as well. Remember its the recovery process from a run that creates the adaptation that makes you faster next time, rather than the intense exercise itself.

By doing a LSR immediately afterwards, I think you negate a lot of the benefit of the 5 K run plus you have a high likelihood of picking up an injury.

I see your point. Would I be better off leaving the LSR till the Monday evening, giving me time to rest after the 5k race?

I see your point. Would I be better off leaving the LSR till the Monday evening, giving me time to rest after the 5k race?
    Yes, I think that's a much better idea.

Happy with this lunchtime's run. Upped the pace compared to yesterday over the same route.

5 Miles
    8:51
    8:35
    8:09
    7:33
    8:17

Hoping to knock out some fast kms on Sundays race in Rathfarnham.

5M in 41:27 (8:18 pace HR = 143 avg)

I'll go for a few miles with you after the race on sunday if you want (damn P&D demand a minimum of 9 miles including the race) but certainly not 18 :eek:
    I'll be doing 20 next weekend in the park if you want to join (probably with the group).

I'll go for a few miles with you after the race on sunday if you want (damn P&D demand a minimum of 9 miles including the race) but certainly not 18 :eek:
    I'll be doing 20 next weekend in the park if you want to join (probably with the group).

I think I'll end up going to the gym tomorrow, do some core work and pamper myself in the sauna etc. Just do the race on Sunday and then maybe a 20M on the Monday after work.

I havent run over 15M since Dingle, and I have Cork to Cobh next weekend, which is 15M also, so I think I should get an 18 or 20 done on Monday, just to have a decent LSR under the belt before the taper starts.

I think I'll end up going to the gym tomorrow, do some core work and pamper myself in the sauna etc. Just do the race on Sunday and then maybe a 20M on the Monday after work.

I havent run over 15M since Dingle, and I have Cork to Cobh next weekend, which is 15M also, so I think I should get an 18 or 20 done on Monday, just to have a decent LSR under the belt before the taper starts.

Was the 50 not a decent LSR? ;)

Was the 50 not a decent LSR? ;)

It was, but that would be 7 weeks before DCM, probably wont be any good to me by the time the marathon comes around. :(

Peeked out the window this morning, no sign of rain. Excellent.

Met Menoscemo and RayCun at the registration. Menoscemo and myself headed to the start line with a warm up through Bushy Park and lined up with Gerard65 at the start line. The start took us all by surprise and there was a mass stampede with people trying to find gaps to push through.

I set the Garmin to Kms, but forgot to set the autolap to km, so was only registering average over miles.

By the time I got to first mile marker, one of the officials was calling out 6:27, way too fast and I think I eased off on the pace at that stage, but found out later on that her timing was well out, I actually ran the first mile in 6:50. I started to slip in the 2nd mile because of the long stretch and tried hard to battle off any overtakers. Out of 6 people that pushed ahead of me, I managed to get past 3 of them again before starting the 3rd mile.

I was hoping for a 21 min finish, but the time had slipped away, probably from going out too fast, but on the last km, I managed to catch up with the group ahead of me and get past a number of people and fought off a last minute dash from someone to get past me before the finish line.

Overall, the first and third miles were great, it was just the middle one that did the damage, probably from the uphill.

1: 6:50
    2: 7:35
    3: 7:04
    last 0.1 miles at 6:02 pace

5k (3.1 miles) 22:13 (7:08 pace)

Ran back to college as a warm down.

Treated myself to a gym session afterwards with sauna and jacuzzi. :D

• Advertisement

10.8M recovery run halfheartly in the rain. Pace was within the recovery zone according to Macmillan, but just seemed sluggish. will try better tomorrow

10.8M in 1:47 (9:58 pace)

Advertisement