Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Blueskye wrote: »
    Wow well done Aimman. You make it sound so easy!!! Would love to do this next year but that might be a bit ambitious for me.

Thanks Blueskye, But, this time last year I never did an Ultra. I see you are training for the DCM again this year.

In June 2009, I decided I wanted to go for the Connemara Ultra, but didn't start training till January this year and didn't make any plans for Dingle till after Conn.

If you run a good Marathon in October (not necessarily time wise, but comfortable with your performance) then you should be able to sign up for the Conn Ultra and modify your training to take in the extra miles. Even planning to run the first 26.2M and walk the last half marathon distance makes you a winner. If you're training isn't working out, you can still step down to Marathon or Half Marathon in advance.

If you do the Conn Ultra, there's enough time to step it up for Dingle once you can put aside the time for the extra runs. There are plenty of people here to offer advice as you go along.

You seem to be having some injury problems at the moment though, is it the ITB that's causing the problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

fair play to you, that was some running. great report:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great report Aimman, welcome to the half-century club! Great time too. You seemed to really nail that one - excellent preparation and it all came together brilliantly for you on the day. Best of luck with the October goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Great running Eamonn. Would love to do 50 miles. I can easily do marathons and even doubles now but i have a mental block about anything futher. I might see you on the starting line of Dingle next year but maybe not:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Incredible stuff & what an uplifting race report. Not sure where the next challenge lurks but certain it'll be whipped with a smile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Great run! It was magic out there, wasn't it?

Never apologise for a long race report. A long race deserves a long report, and anyway, if you think yours is long you obviously haven't read mine. :D

Well done! Same time, next year?

Great run! It was magic out there, wasn't it?

Never apologise for a long race report. A long race deserves a long report, and anyway, if you think yours is long you obviously haven't read mine. :D

Well done! Same time, next year?

In training already for it, lol.

It was a great day. Pity I didnt get to chat to you again after the start line.

I read your report after I had posted mine, savage stuff, well done. Wouldn't mind getting up to that pace at some stage. I made the mistake of belting down the hills and the quads paid for it afterwards. Going down stairs was a bit of a challenge on the Sunday.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic race report. Well done on the race, what an achievement!!!

Right, Siesta over. Headed out in the lashing rain this evening after work to give the legs an NCT. Quads are still a small bit tender but going to use the roller to ease them back to normality.

3.2M in 29:41 (9:17 pace)

Will probably run slow again tomorrow for longer, just to knock the legs back in shape, then hope to jump into the P&D training for the Marathon. I'll have the Half Marathon to look forward to next week too. Planning on racing it if the legs let me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »
    Right, Siesta over. Headed out in the lashing rain this evening after work to give the legs an NCT. Quads are still a small bit tender but going to use the roller to ease them back to normality.

3.2M in 29:41 (9:17 pace)

Will probably run slow again tomorrow for longer, just to knock the legs back in shape, then hope to jump into the P&D training for the Marathon. I'll have the Half Marathon to look forward to next week too. Planning on racing it if the legs let me.

Whats the goal for the half bud 1.45/1.50

• Advertisement

I'm looking at 1:40 at the moment, but picked that time blindly. Spent too much time on stretching out the miles for Dingle and neglected speed work (which is usually the right way to train for an Ultra) so dont know how long I can run at a decent pace for now, and whether I'll be recovered sufficiently from Dingle for it. I'll have to keep up 7:37 pace all the way around.

Playing with the idea of running the BHAA 10k in Firhouse this Saturday too. Might be ambitious, but usually after a marathon, my legs are like elastic for the first week after it and might get a PB in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Playing with the idea of running the BHAA 10k in Firhouse this Saturday too. Might be ambitious, but usually after a marathon, my legs are like elastic for the first week after it and might get a PB in it.

Sure, give it a lash!! What time would a PB be? I am going to run it but can't imagine setting a PB, don't think I am in Parkwest shape at the moment...If you are gunning for a PB maybe I can pace with you??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm playing with that idea too Aimman, that or Adamstown. I ran a very slow pb in the Great Ireland run the week after Conn. If I can even get just under 48 minutes that would be a pb, it shouldn't be but it would so it would be nice to get a pb a week after an Ultra, again. :D

I got my 10k PB in the K Club this year for the BHAA and it was 46:21, that was two weeks after Conn, so I might have a chance of bettering it.

RQ, how can you have a very slow PB? a PB is a PB, in relation to all your other races, its the fastest of them all. :confused:

RQ, how can you have a very slow PB? a PB is a PB, in relation to all your other races, its the fastest of them all. :confused:

I've only ever 'raced' 10k twice. So what I got in the GIR with a bit of walking was a PB, but I generally train faster than what I got in the GIR, went out two days later and ran 10k quicker than what I got in the GIR.

McMillan has me sub 45 for 10k...

McMillan has me sub 45 for 10k...
    Sorted, you can pace me so. :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sure, give it a lash!! What time would a PB be? I am going to run it but can't imagine setting a PB, don't think I am in Parkwest shape at the moment...If you are gunning for a PB maybe I can pace with you??

What time would you be looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What time would you be looking at?

I have two choices: Run it for a PB and go for sub 42, but if I am not feeling the love on the day I'll run it as an LT session (7:00-7:10 min/mile) which should get me in around 45 minutes.

As I say, if I go for the latter I may aswell pace around with you??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

The race reports are fab. I think it should be compulsory for every finisher or starter to write one. I cant get enough of reading this stuff. What inspirations you all are. If I hadnt already gone out for a run in the dark and wet - I would have to put on my runners and get out there.

Enjoy it all .

Bought a couple of pairs of Asics 2150 in Lifestyle Sports today cos of their 25% discount. Needed new pairs anyway, all my pairs have over 500 miles on them, one has nearly 700.

Brought a pair out to christen them in the park and bumped into Menoscemo, so we ran a couple of loops of the park. Was glad of the company. We discussed racing form for the Firhouse 10k and drinking form for after the Half Marathon :cool: Legs felt in great condition, but I didn't have lots of power in them, but was happy with the pace.

Mixed up some Locozade protein recovery drink when I got back to give the repair a bit of a boost. should have done it yesterday too.

Looks like I might be able to have a decent go at the Firhouse 10k on Saturday, if tomorrow's run goes well.

5.6M in 51 mins (9:08 pace avg)

• Advertisement

Garmin let me down this evening by going flat on me after half a mile. Thought it was charged up. Obviously has a longer recovery time after Dingle!:D

Had to retrieve the start time from the watch and note the finish time and plot the route like the good old days.

Resting up tomorrow for Firhouse.

4.4M in 39 mins (8:52 avg)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Bought a couple of pairs of Asics 2150 in Lifestyle Sports today cos of their 25% discount. Needed new pairs anyway, all my pairs have over 500 miles on them, one has nearly 700.

5.6M in 51 mins (9:08 pace avg)

Thanks for the tip, after reading this popped in there today and got myself a new pair of asics plus a couple of tops in the sale.

Sure you might as well. Cant argue with 25% off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just catching up. Great work in Dingle ... where the heck did you find that finish ! Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

well done on your ultra time in dingle!!

Right, back on the planet now.

Ran the Grant Thornton Firhouse 10k race on Saturday. Didn't do as well as I hoped. Thought I'd get near to the 45min mark by now, but me and Menoscemo went out too fast and I suffered it on the second lap. Was happy with the last straight, where I got 2nd wind and seemed to be only just getting into the race and lashed past a lot of people, but had to do more work at the last stretch to make sure I wasn't overtaken at the finish line. I needed an average pace of 4:30 (kmins/km) , but started off the first 2k at 4:14 pace and then slowly watched the overall pace fall past 4:30 and hit 4:50 by 7km. I managed to claw the average back to 4:45 pace over the last 3k.

Haven't run since the race, but need to get ass in gear. I'm jumping into the P&D 85M week schedule for Dublin but might be difficult to stick to with other stuff going on and I think theres a race every weekend up to the DCM for me now.

10k in 47:31 (4:45min/km pace)

And certain people on here tell me that I race too much... :pac:

And certain people on here tell me that I race too much... :pac:

LOL, they are only small races, to get my lardass moving and pick up the pace. Just a couple of half marathons, a 15M and a 5k. think thats about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

LOL, they are only small races, to get my lardass moving and pick up the pace. Just a couple of half marathons, a 15M and a 5k. think thats about it. :D

You going to Cork to Cobh? Still trying to make my mind up on it...

And 'just a couple of half marathons'?! The guys in work think I'm mad doing another one this week after pacing last week, if only they knew what some of you crazy feckers get up to...

• Advertisement

Couldnt find my Garmin today. Of all the days I needed it.

Was supposed to do 9M with 10 x 100 strides, but was feck all chance without a stopwatch or a way of measuring 100M so I compromised and did 5M at lunchtime and 4.4 miles after work. Broke in the other pair of Asics 2150 today. Might have them ready for the Dublin half.

5M at lunchtime was a bit sluggish. Took an old familiar route arounf Ballyfermot, Chapelizard and Inchicore to tackle a couple of hills.

5M in 45 mins (Avg 9:00 pace)

This evening in Tymon was a bit more productive. The one time I really could have done with the Garmin because I was doing some good pace in places dispite the strong wind. Would have liked to have all the stats

4.4M in 37 mins (Avg 8.24 pace)

Hoping that the legs have fully recovered from Dingle and that the pace starts picking up again now.

Advertisement