Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anyone but the French" t-shirts. British tabloids stoking anti-French sentiment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

I can play this game aswell:

Which do you support?
    [] Football (You're a paedophile)
    [] Not football (Yore ma)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

First off, Henry is not a cheat. There is no such thing as cheating in the rulebook of football - there are rules & there violatons of these rules and there is also unsporting behaviour, but not cheating. Cheating is a term that people use who really don't understand football. What Henry did, was commit an offense which the referee & officials didn't see, or chose to ignore. It happens all the time. Usually it is the fault of the officials, or the refusal of FIFA to introduce video refereeing. Anyone who understands football knows that.

Secondly, Ireland do not deserve to be in the World Cup. We arguably, deserved to have the game against France go to extra time & possibly penalties, but this was no guarantee that we would have qualified. In my opinion, we should not have even had to play this match, as, if the team had had any balls, they'd have beaten Montenegro at home & away, Bulgaria at home and Italy at home, thus securing our position at the top of the table & qualifying without the need for a play off. Most of the country paid no interest at all in the qualifying campaign, until the away leg against France, where we were never going to get the run of the green. Anybody who understands football knows that.

And lastly, these tee-shirts are obviously been trucked out to the shake a shamrock brigade who's only interest in Irish football is the occasional big match, who actually believe Henry is a cheat, probably couldn't name one player off the Irish team, bar Robbie Keane & probably had no idea who Thierry Henry was before that match. Anybody who knows understands football knows that.

And The Sun is a rag. Everybody knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Maybe they are. Yours obviously don't mention the Vichy government.

Ah mon ami, that was a puppet administration, you do know that de Gaulle reorganised French resistance from London and many French people fought bravely during the war and died for their cause? I live close to the old Gestapo headquarters here so trust me when I say I know what I am taking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's a t-shirt. If you don't like it, don't wear one.

I think it's quite amusing that some of us can poke fun at the incident. We were dumped out in the cruelest of fashions and it hurt. It still does because we haven't played a meaningful international since, and until we do the France incident will be played out again and again.

I don't want France to win the World Cup because it would very much be a tainted victory, and I'm sure the French themselves know that.

The t-shirt is harmless and I'm glad it is irritating the PC brigade with their claims of racism etc. No ones is forcing you to wear one or buy The Sun so stfu tbh.

In summary, build a feckin bridge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

First off, Henry is not a cheat. There is no such thing as cheating in the rulebook of football - there are rules & there violatons of these rules and there is also unsporting behaviour, but not cheating. Cheating is a term that people use who really don't understand football. What Henry did, was commit an offense which the referee & officials didn't see, or chose to ignore. It happens all the time. Usually it is the fault of the officials, or the refusal of FIFA to introduce video refereeing. Anyone who understands football knows that.

Secondly, Ireland do not deserve to be in the World Cup. We arguably, deserved to have the game against France go to extra time & possibly penalties, but this was no guarantee that we would have qualified. In my opinion, we should not have even had to play this match, as, if the team had had any balls, they'd have beaten Montenegro at home & away, Bulgaria at home and Italy at home, thus securing our position at the top of the table & qualifying without the need for a play off. Most of the country paid no interest at all in the qualifying campaign, until the away leg against France, where we were never going to get the run of the green. Anybody who understands football knows that.

I've always understood cheating to mean a deliberate transgression of the rules but perhaps you have a better definition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I always support the home teams, and seeing as there is nobody else going to SA, I say 'C'mon England' :)

Its not as if we don't have very close links with the English Premiership.

P.S. I agree that the 'English Tabloids' are total S****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

politics and football should be distinct.
    the t-shirt is a laugh - anybody who changes their view on the EU (or france) based on a t-shirt and a football competition doesn't deserve the right to vote.

Who cares if the sun run it? Murdoch is a populist who likes to back the winner and has a good sense of where the wind is blowing.
    I can't see it as an Anti EU drive by the sun.

anyway i'll be wearing one (or similar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

England/Britain (anti-EU)
    Big dilemma for pro-Eu west-Brits:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

And lastly, these tee-shirts are obviously been trucked out to the shake a shamrock brigade who's only interest in Irish football is the occasional big match, who actually believe Henry is a cheat, probably couldn't name one player off the Irish team, bar Robbie Keane & probably had no idea who Thierry Henry was before that match. Anybody who knows understands football knows that.

And The Sun is a rag. Everybody knows that.

I don't think your claims are as accurate as you claim. Anybody who knows football knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I've spent a lot of time and money in France, so I'm hardly anti-France, but there's much within Franch culture to cause concern. Hardly so far so good? The Rainbow Warrior criminal incident is an example how far those guys are willing to corrupt and deny..

:rolleyes: So much within French culture to cause concern? :pac: Yeah ok. Are we still talking about football? T-Shirts? Henry? The Sun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Xavi6 wrote: »

I think it's quite amusing that some of us can poke fun at the incident. We were dumped out in the cruelest of fashions and it hurt. It still does because we haven't played a meaningful international since, and until we do the France incident will be played out again and again.

I don't want France to win the World Cup because it would very much be a tainted victory, and I'm sure the French themselves know that.

The t-shirt is harmless and I'm glad it is irritating the PC brigade with their claims of racism etc. No ones is forcing you to wear one or buy The Sun so stfu tbh.

There's an assumption here that everyone who would be buying the t-shirt would be doing it for humourous reasons. The truth however is that for every person who buys it for humourous reasons, you will also have some tool buying one because he's dead serious about it. The typical loudmouth in the boozer who says "I hope those ****ing frogs get what's coming to them."

PC my hole as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Got France in my local's world cup draw. Hurray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

And anyone who can't see the connection between the Suns political views and the campaign clearly doesn't want to see it. They would love to see have the same lazy Frog bashing that's common in Britain and America happen here.

Precisely. Well said.

I can't see it as an Anti EU drive by the sun.

Has that paper, or anything else owned by Murdoch, ever been anything other than anti-EU/France/Germany? Is there a single example of it being even remotely pro-EU?

And it hasn't exactly been exuding warmth towards the Irish, lest anybody forget.

Murdoch's newspapers over in Britain (and their Oirish versions) are marked by a europhobic Little Englander approach to the EU and everything connected with it.

Not surprising considering the enormous help Thatcher gave to Murdoch, in particular by removing the legislation which restricted the numbers of newspapers which could be owned by a single organisation.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Has that paper, or anything else owned by Murdoch, ever been anything other than anti-EU/France/Germany? Is there a single example of it being even remotely pro-EU?

And it hasn't exactly been exuding warmth towards the Irish, lest anybody forget.

Murdoch's newspapers over in Britain (and their Oirish versions) are marked by a europhobic Little Englander approach to the EU and everything connected with it.

Not surprising considering the enormous help Thatcher gave to Murdoch, in particular by removing the legislation which restricted the numbers of newspapers which could be owned by a single organisation.

Better call in the Foreign Legion... oh no, forgot, none of them is French!

Better call in the Foreign Legion... oh no, forgot, none of them is French!

Ignorance of the FFL. Not suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Camelot wrote: »
    I always support the home teams, and seeing as there is nobody else going to SA, I say 'C'mon England' :)

Its not as if we don't have very close links with the English Premiership.

P.S. I agree that the 'English Tabloids' are total S****

Home teams??? Well depends where you are from i suppose.

Home teams??? Well depends where you are from i suppose.

The "Home" countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Nations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »

So it's PC to be opposed to the sun's political agenda?, pc to be against racism? Maybe you can't see the connection between the sun's overall ideological programme and this t-shirt. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't think your claims are as accurate as you claim. Anybody who knows football knows that.

FIFA Laws of the Game; http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf
    I've always understood cheating to mean a deliberate transgression of the rules but perhaps you have a better definition.

As a dictionary definition of cheating in a broad sense, that would be correct. However, sports and behaviour in sports should be judged by the rules by which they are governed.

In football, there are rules, infringements & sanctions - anything that happens on the field of play which contradicts the rules is either a disciplinary sanction, a cautionable offense or a sending off offense. The term "cheating" does not form part of the rulebook.

The handling of a ball by a player (except the goalkeeper in his own box) is not even a sending off offense unless it denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

If a player (except the goalkeeper in his own box) handles the ball in any other situation, it is not even a cautionable offense & results only in a direct or in-direct free kick being awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

When a player commits an infringement or offense on the football pitch, the referee refers to his knowledge of the rules of the game as stipulated by FIFA & not a dictionary.

• Advertisement

So let me get this right OP, the Irish Sun newspaper

I'll stop you right there. Being British you're quite possibly unaware of the difference between Irish and Oirish: The Sun is a British newspaper.

The French love the Irish because they bombed the English, that's all. they love anyone they can hide behind.

Snzzzzzzz.
    The Irish go on about their 800 years, but the French invaded us nearly 1000 uears ago and (apart from us saving their arses a couple of times in the first half of the last century, the second time they only decided they were on our side when we started winning) we have been fighting them ever since.

Snzzzzzzz.
    Any excuse and their truck drivers are blockading Calais to prevent British imports into France and they start burning our sheep.
    Of course we never miss an excuse to have a dig at the cheese eating surrender monkies.

Like not washing, smelling of garlic and French women's fear of shaving?

Don't forget driving on the wrong side of the road, citroen 2CV and eating small, shelled garden pests covered in garlic.

Yours obviously don't mention the Vichy government.

Give it a rest. Your anti-French rants are boring, taken as they all are from the latest rightwing nationalist campaign in your home country. You sound like those gobshítes in Eurotrip who took a doubledecker bus to the mainland and then started screaming at the French drivers to get on the "correct" side of the road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oBpJKALjrU.

And Vichy? Pathetic. I bet you're the sort of guy who *still* has a hang-up about DeValera's condolence, calls the 26 counties "Éire" or "Southern Ireland" and reckons we all belong to what you'd call the "British Isles".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Oh dear, is this about Football. I haven't a clue about football, but I am an English Francophile and love everything French. So I voted for France, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

it could mean the loss of a lot of french tourists if pictures of irish people wearing them idiotic t-shirts are printed over in france.

nice to see the oirsh sun is still pushing the boundaries of intellectual debate, remember they had pictures of claire tully giving us two good reasons for us to vote no in the lisbon treaty.

remember they had pictures of claire tully giving us two good reasons for us to vote no in the lisbon treaty.

That's about as good an argument for the no side as I've heard of in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    There's an assumption here that everyone who would be buying the t-shirt would be doing it for humourous reasons. The truth however is that for every person who buys it for humourous reasons, you will also have some tool buying one because he's dead serious about it. The typical loudmouth in the boozer who says "I hope those ****ing frogs get what's coming to them."

PC my hole as well.

And so what if they are serious? Let them at it.

The game is still fresh in the minds of many people because, as I already said, we haven't been involved in a competitive game since.

Tbh I'd get used to it if I were you because if we draw France in the qualifiers in for World Cup 2030 you can bet your house that the same thing will happen then. Revenge for 2010 and all that.
    So it's PC to be opposed to the sun's political agenda?, pc to be against racism? Maybe you can't see the connection between the sun's overall ideological programme and this t-shirt. Fair enough.

To the average Joe on the street it's got feck all to do with politics and everything to do with the passion football brings out.

In some ways it's actually quite nice to see folk care so much.

prinz wrote: »
    Ignorance of the FFL. Not suprised.

Oh yeah, well prove it pal? Only non Nationals are allowed join the FFL. But maybe you're going to give your 'French' version of the truth!

Such a picky who cannot spell! Probably know even less about football?

Reminds me of a Blatterboy.

What does it say in same rule book about changing qualifying rules (mid way through competition qualifiers, ie seeding)? Anybody who cares about Football will care about this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

and I see pizza hut are offering a deal on on pizzas for every goal scored against France.
    RE-TARDED! Could they not come up with something better?

I'm a Euro sceptic but I wouldn't choose between Britain and France. The French are republicans so they get a big plus from me on that but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

allez les bleus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Great conspiracy theory for you!

Here are the three companies spreading anti french messages in Ireland.

The Irish Sun - Owned by News International Ltd - A British company

Currys Ireland - Owned by Dixons Store Group - A British company

Pizza Hut - Owned by Yum! Brands, Inc - An American company

Now what do the USA and British have in common recently, that might involve a serious dislike of all things French?

Did you ever feel like you are being used????????:D

Advertisement