Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anyone but the French" t-shirts. British tabloids stoking anti-French sentiment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the_syco wrote: »
    The only difference between the Republicans up North and the French is that the French haven't bombed England. The French hate the english, but love the Irish. If you're english, the hotel is full. If you're Irish, they have a few rooms vacant.

The French love the Irish because they bombed the English, that's all.

they love anyone they can hide behind.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Well said. I couldn't agree more. It's no coincidence that these "Oirish" anti-French campaigns are being run by rightwing British media and particular British stores in Ireland.

Which "British Stores"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Must be time for me to get my "Murdoch is a Wanker" t-shirt out again.

He's just a jumped up Aussie.

Most aussies are jumped-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I read the first 3 words in the OP and didn't bother reading the rest. Anything associated with that newspaper should be left well alone.

Now my own opinion of the French at the World Cup is that I'll be cheering on their opposition. Some things in football are hard to let go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It's so Ironic. That’s sort of "The joke is on you" for Sun Readers. The Sun, Red Top of choice for English Football's hardcore fans are pitting the Paddies against the Frogs. And in the case of the Sun they are using these muppets to advertise their logo at the same time. I for one will be taking the total piss out of anyone I see in these shirts.

and I for I will look forward to taking the piss out of those muppets with no sense of loyal humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

England/Britain (anti-EU)
    NatWW wrote: »
    Most of Henry's team members are ashamed of what he did and are surely not proud of making it to the World Cup in these conditions.

The rest of them were too busy shagging underage hookers to care :rolleyes:
    So yeah, I'm ranting because I just argued with my hubby (Irish) who thought that all this is just a bit of joke for fun. It might have been fun when the first anti-French advert came out but this is not fun anymore, I can assure you...

.....and I can assure you I have spoken to French people who think it's harmless fun and have assured me the same thing would happen in France. Build a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

im supporting Ivory Coast...not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Surprised to see Dunnes are selling racist t-shirts in children's sizes.

Depicting a French person as a frog, how classy. :rolleyes:

One customer lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Considering we speak English, not a huge surprise.

>>>>>>WHOOOOSH>>>>> ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Which "British Stores"?

You just waded into this without reading the post I responded to, didn't you. Curry's, for starters, according to that poster.

• Advertisement

loyal humour.

Ahem. Which is? When a French tourist gets beaten on a Dublin street by some Dublin scumbag who is influenced by these people?

If you think there are not potentially serious consequences to this sort of campaign you are overestimating the, well, thought process of people in a certain section of society.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Considering we speak English, not a huge surprise.

I think the poster was doing a parody.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Surprised to see Dunnes are selling racist t-shirts in children's sizes.

Depicting a French person as a frog, how classy. :rolleyes:

One customer lost.

Are you being facetious? Does it actually equate a French person with a frog, or it's simply a t-shirt with a frog?

Any link?

You just waded into this without reading the post I responded to, didn't you. Curry's, for starters, according to that poster.

I read lots, but all your anti British bile merged into one after a while.

The only store I noticed on here selling anyone but the French stuff was Penney's, which is as Irish as Lyons Tea and Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The French tried to help us gain independent, although they were slacking off during the 20th century and now in the 21st century them and Germany are trying to take away our independents. But you gotta like them for helping our ancestors .......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The French tried to help us gain independent, although they were slacking off during the 20th century and now in the 21st century them and Germany are trying to take away our independents. But you gotta like them for helping our ancestors .......

I'm all for that, if it gets rid of Jackie Healy-Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are you being facetious? Does it actually equate a French person with a frog, or it's simply a t-shirt with a frog?

Any link?

It has a frog handling a football with something like "Anyone but the French". It's blatant racist clothing aimed at kids.

Shame on Dunnes.

Sorry no link.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It has a frog handling a football with something like "Anyone but the French". It's blatant racist clothing aimed at kids.

Shame on Dunnes.

Sorry no link.

Dunnes then is obviously the British owned clothes shop of choice for xenophobic, racist, Sun reading England fans.

Or maybe xenophobic, racist, Sun reading Ireland fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

the second time they only decided they were on our side when we started winning) we have been fighting them ever since.

Maybe your history books are different over there? Care to elaborate?
    stovelid wrote: »
    Spot on.

Not to mention stinky Gauloises, Existentialism, stripy jumpers and rolling over to the Bosch.
    Bosch is a company FYI. Most people smoke Lucky Strike and nobody wears stripy jumpers, they do tend to dress in black too often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Dunno about you lot but I'm supporting the French for the world cup - was going to before the sun headlines and am still.

Gonna cheer when the brits get kicked out though, old habbits and all that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

franklyon wrote: »

Bosch is a company FYI. Most people smoke Lucky Strike and nobody wears stripy jumpers, they do tend to dress in black too often though.

It's a fair cop.

What's it going to be: lines or detention?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'll say this much about the French; they have a fecking banging National Anthem. La Marseillaise is some choon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

funny that. the british rags were throwing their toys out of the pram when the scottish were wearing 'anybody but england' t shirts but dont seem to mind these ones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    It's a fair cop.

What's it going to be: lines or detention?

You'll be forced to eat a stale French-loaf sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Confab wrote: »
    Most aussies are jumped-up.

The kanga-roos are anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

funny that. the british rags were throwing their toys out of the pram when the scottish were wearing 'anybody but england' t shirts but dont seem to mind these ones

Racism is not cool when it is directed at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Again , if the Irish people stop buying the British tabloids they will go away , much the same way as Sky News Ireland.

Have some degree of pride in your country and push back against the campaigning these gutter rags do in our name. If we cut their market out they go away.

We are more than capable of showing our own predijuces without the British influence.

I still hate Thierry Henry and Kevin Kilbane

franklyon wrote: »
    Maybe your history books are different over there? Care to elaborate?

Maybe they are. Yours obviously don't mention the Vichy government.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone wearing one of these "Anyone but the French" t-shirts should be shot.

Get over it FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Tarring everyone with the same brush... That is soo last year you know. Thank you for your valuable input...

No thats a French hangup, eg why is it so that those silly French folk always assume that if you speak English you are English?

Advertisement