Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anyone but the French" t-shirts. British tabloids stoking anti-French sentiment.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

the_syco wrote: »
    The only difference between the Republicans up North and the French is that the French haven't bombed England. The French hate the english, but love the Irish. If you're english, the hotel is full. If you're Irish, they have a few rooms vacant.

News for you buddy - not only can they not tell the difference, they don't give a cul de rat either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dionysus wrote: »
    Ahem. Which is? When a French tourist gets beaten on a Dublin street by some Dublin scumbag who is influenced by these people?

If you think there are not potentially serious consequences to this sort of campaign you are overestimating the, well, thought process of people in a certain section of society.

Get a grip and if you are worried about anti social behaviours, there's a dozen suburbs around Paris and more French cities that dish out le Hain everyday to lots of innocent victims tourist or otherwise.

If it ain't lazy public servants, its militant trade unionists way ahead of Algerians, Commies, Nazis Mon le Pen.

But I like Inspector Clouseau, but he was an english actor?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Get a grip and if you are worried about anti social behaviours, there's a dozen suburbs around Paris and more French cities that dish out le Hain everyday to lots of innocent victims tourist or otherwise.

That's jolly decent of them, giving food to poor, lost tourists who have somehow managed to stray 30 km off track and into the cités.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

England/Britain (anti-EU)
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Maybe they are. Yours obviously don't mention the Vichy government.

A more striking difference is that history books in England and Ireland probably aren't in French.:pac:

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien.

2 words:

1st word: Rainbow
    2nd word: Warrior

tres bien

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So long as France, England or Germany don't win then i don't give a rats

2 words:
    1st word: Rainbow
    2nd word: Warrior
    tres bien

Is that supposed to mean something tangible to me in particular right now or in this thread? Or just the basis for your own anti-French sentiments? What has that got to do with anything?

Is that supposed to mean something tangible to me in particular right now or in this thread? Or just the basis for your own anti-French sentiments? What has that got to do with anything?

What anti-French sentiments? So far so good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

England to win, Crouchie to be top goalscorer for no other reason than I like (most) of the English players. Plus because it's 150/1 and I have €10 on it. :pac:

Couldn't give a rats ass about France to be honest, fair play to them, I wouldn't have been complaining if the roles were reversed.

I saw those t-shirts in Penneys, and thought to myself only a wanker would wear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dionysus wrote: »
    Where do these arseholes individuals get off? The idea that the most rightwing anti-Irish media in the world, British tabloids, are now using the Ireland-France soccer game as a means to stoke up anti-French opinion in Ireland is surely breaching some laws on incitement to hatred.

There's already enough anti-French sentiment in Ireland. We don't the Sun to tell us they're a pile of cheating eejits.

However, the ~62,277,400 of them that aren't on the National football team are great people, and their country is lovely too. The paper is clearly inciting anti french SOCCER feelings, and nothing else tbh.

Also OP - your poll is simply stupid - what if (hypothetically) I support the English soccer team in the WC because I;d rather see them in given that we aren't there - but I'm pro-EU?

What anti-French sentiments? So far so good?

Can you explan why you posted alluding to the Rainbow Warrior case? I can't see the connection whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'd like to see england get pretty far (obviously not win it tho ! JESUS, never hear the end of it). They are the players that we watch week in week out, so i'd rather watch them than any other team.

Hope france get destroyed in the group stages, and England to get beat in the semi's/final.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Magill wrote: »
    I'd like to see england get pretty far (obviously not win it tho ! JESUS, never hear the end of it). They are the players that we watch week in week out, so i'd rather watch them than any other team.

No need to speak for us all. :rolleyes:

Can you explan why you posted alluding to the Rainbow Warrior case? I can't see the connection whatsoever.

I've spent a lot of time and money in France, so I'm hardly anti-France, but there's much within Franch culture to cause concern. Hardly so far so good?

The Rainbow Warrior criminal incident is an example how far those guys are willing to corrupt and deny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    England to win, Crouchie to be top goalscorer for no other reason than I like (most) of the English players. Plus because it's 150/1 and I have €10 on it. :pac:

Couldn't give a rats ass about France to be honest, fair play to them, I wouldn't have been complaining if the roles were reversed.

I saw those t-shirts in Penneys, and thought to myself only a wanker would wear them.
    I've got one and to boot i've got a "anyone but france" sticker in the car back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If it wasnt for the french farmers the brits would have stopped all support for farmers in the EU.

Vive la france.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I've seen a few poster posting about the "British" reaction.
    I watch British TV and as a Scot get a bit miffed at the plethora of products promoting England. Personally I wish I'd got my hands on this:

_47363208_-1.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8533791.stm

To add salt to the wound, I was born in 66 so haven't ever had a bearable 21st, 40th etc without that bloody wembly crap.

ABE. Anyone but England. Guess you know who I won't be supporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I'd support France against England anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I'd support France against England anyway

If that comes up, I'll be doing a bit of gardening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No need to speak for us all. :rolleyes:

Obviously i meant the majority of football supporters in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I'd rather see England win it than France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Someone once told me, years ago, that The Sun in England was quite racist against the Irish. 'Nuff said. I don't hate the French over what Henri did and The Sun isn't going to make me start. The French's own attitude to the Henri incident helps, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Well I for one have ordered that t-shirt, and intend on wearing it, and there are two very good reasons why:

1) Because people wear jerseys for teams they support, so this is basically a jersey for a team I don't support

2) Get a f*cking sense of humour, it's not like I'm going to kill someone just because they're French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Well I for one have ordered that t-shirt, and intend on wearing it, and there are two very good reasons why:

1) Because people wear jerseys for teams they support, so this is basically a jersey for a team I don't support

2) Get a f*cking sense of humour, it's not like I'm going to kill someone just because they're French

Well said.

Also, as far as I am concerned, this will only be over when France are (hopefully) knocked out.

They shouldn't be there and I intend to be down the Woolshed, pint in hand - booing them every step of the way.

And to all those that say: "Just get over it.."

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

TBH any striker would have done the same as henry and its that fcuking blind excuse for a ref Hansen and assistant wittbergs fault that were not in the world cup

Besides I've always wanted the french to fail since 98
    Nothing against the people i just hate their football team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

When some people figure out that a football team is not an entire nation, this will be over. Jesus everything is so touchy PC these days. It's alright lads, have an auld laugh, you might feel a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Penneys are selling these shirts, dreadful trash, to be worn by trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

France beat Costa Rica 2-1 tonight

O dear:mad::mad:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Shouldn't any Irish person want France to do well. Better be cheated out of the World Cup by one of it's best teams than be the team that blew their chances against a past it French team that got knocked out in the first round.

And anyone who can't see the connection between the Suns political views and the campaign clearly doesn't want to see it. They would love to see have the same lazy Frog bashing that's common in Britain and America happen here.

Advertisement