Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landis admits doping, points finger at LA - Please read Mod Warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

boege wrote: »
    If there is any fairness in the sport there needs to be a transparent and accepted methods of detection, adjudication and sanction.

Armstrong was not subject to any sanction and if there is a flaw then it is with the lack of transparency in the systems to detect cheating. If Armstrong cheated then to me he is just another cheating cyclists but if he did then it raises bigger questions about the entire running of the sport.

The current delays surrounding Contador display the continued lack of confiction to act with transparency and urgency. Ultimately this is damaging for everyone for once accused the suspicion will remain, reardless of any test results.

In short there is no means to prove ones innocence.

In fairness the tests for epo, hgh, blood transfusions, plasticizers etc didnt exist. In the early days the detection of epo had to be in a small window after the drug was taken.

The current situation with Contador is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Do you think investigations and hearings should be rushed in order to satisfy public curiosity?

No and I did not make that point. I called for transparency and decisiveness for the benefit of all racers.

Contador's test results have been known for some time. If it was any other cyclist it would have been sorted by now, the name on the urine sample should not matter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

boege wrote: »
    No and I did not make that point. I called for transparency and decisiveness for the benefit of all racers.

Contador's test results have been known for some time. If it was any other cyclist it would have been sorted by now, the name on the urine sample should not matter.

If it were any other cyclist, they wouldn't be able to afford the team of lawyers Contador threw at the case. The more high profile the rider, the more it is contested and the longer you can expect the hearings to drag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

If it were any other cyclist, they wouldn't be able to afford the team of lawyers Contador threw at the case. The more high profile the rider, the more it is contested and the longer you can expect the hearings to drag on.

Money talks and the sport suffers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Vlad. You have raised a point about the timliness of legal cases and that he has money to drag things out.
    I think that is generally the case worldwide in civil matters but nit in regard to criminal proceedings. The Feds were trying to build a credible case. Unfortunately they haven't one. I think the sport should move on now.

Yes all his blood still exists. I don't know why the doping authorities have not requested it tested, but they haven't.

He is a very very flawed individual, whether he is innocent or guilty of doping won't change my opinion of the guy. It is my opinion based on the circumstantial evidence that he may well have. But I don't know what it achieves to punish him retrospectively.

It's a pity they can't prosecute someone for be g an assh0le as the evidence there is pretty incontrovertible. But they can't.

They couldn't get him. The sport needs to move on.
    Maybe they will get Bertie. But bychrist the administration of dope eating and prosecution needs to change from the present ongoing farce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yet somehow, all of you guys just 'know' that he doped. Based on what evidence. Circumstantial, certainly, but is that enough to wipe out the achievments of the greatest TdF champion in history (in terms of victories).

Are you aware of the circumstantial evidence that is out there? I'm thinking of things like:
    • Eyewitness accounts from teammates who (claim to) have witnessed him administering PEDs.
    • Eyewitness accounts from teammates, colleagues and friends who (claim to have) heard him admit to using PEDs.
    • Secretive dumping of medical equipment during a TDF.
    • Close association with the doctor who is best known (to me anyway) as being Dr EPO.
    • His performances against people who were found to be EPO'd off their nuts - see the Mont Ventoux video in a recent post.

There's more, but that's the most that comes to the top of my head.

Yes, he's the most tested man - blah blah. I'm not sure about now, but at the time there was no test for the EPO substance. The only tool that testers had for the likes of EPO was being able to trace unusual blood values. A smart doper could circumvent this by being careful.

If you are aware of the publicly available circumstantial evidence, do you think he's innocent?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you are aware of the publicly available circumstantial evidence, do you think he's innocent?
    Posters are perfectly entitled to think whatever they like. They cannot, however, speculate that any individual has illegally taken Performance Enhancing Drugs on this site, so please do not ask other posters whether they "think" he's innocent, or post any views implying he is not

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Beasty wrote: »
    Posters are perfectly entitled to think whatever they like. They cannot, however, speculate that any individual has illegally taken Performance Enhancing Drugs on this site, so please do not ask other posters whether they "think" he's innocent, or post any views implying he is not

Thanks

Beasty

I was trying to be careful with my wording, but this slipped through. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Once again the baying pack uncover.........NOTHING. Things curiously quiet about this in print over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mattser wrote: »
    Once again the baying pack uncover.........NOTHING. Things curiously quiet about this in print over here.

To win 7 tours during the most drug riddled decade in cycling and not be doping? That if true would be incredible. This was an era where PEDs gave massive performance gains, and he was beating people like Pantani in the hills who we subsequently know was juiced up to his eyeballs. That certainly casts a long shadow over his achievements imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Great news, I can wear my Livestrong jersey with pride again when I start back into the cycling in June. See yous out on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Great news, I can wear my Livestrong jersey with pride again when I start back into the cycling in June. See yous out on the road.

Livestrong jersey - Ha. I,ve seen a guy cycling on a livestrong bike!!!

That's some strong living.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Whilst not beating the bike, at last years TdF there was a guy opposite me wearing LIVESTRONG* cap, t-shirt, jawbone and wrist-band, I assume he had matching shorts, black socks and sandles. I looked further down and in a corner I could huddled in a corner, Jesus weeping.

*Do you like what I did there? :trollsmileyface:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's not about the bike!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Woah! This is pretty crazy. Seems like they had a very strong case and were on the verge bringing charges against several people when they were inexplicably shut down at the last minute. Apparently Cyclingnews spoke to a source who had co-operated with the investigation who said...

I talked to someone within the investigation but the reason why the case was shut down was due to a one man decision. The evidence against those involved was absolutely overwhelming. They were going to be charged with a slew of crimes but for reasons unexplained he closed the case saying it wasn't open for discussion,”

This just gets weirder and weirder.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/concerns-over-closure-of-federal-investigation-into-armstrong-and-us-postal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

furiousox wrote: »
    "Make it go away George.."

LS-GWBPC4_approved_thumb.JPG

Hmmm...

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

This is absolutely disgraceful – Another Lance Armstrong cover up?

Why am I not surprised.

More lies about arguably the greatest human being ever to have lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Someone been spreading rumours Einstein was on EPO again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jaysus... sure, maybe, if he'd taken some personality enhancing drugs....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

So ... a journalist spoke to a source who co-operated with the investigation who says that someone on the team told him that someone shut the investigation down. There was overwhelming evidence, but we aren't told whether it was the journalist, the source, the someone, or the evil shutter-downer who said so.

Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

happytramp wrote: »
    I talked to someone within the investigation but the reason why the case was shut down was due to a one man decision.

1zykhg8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Is it possible that Armstrong is a member of a shadowy global elite of shape-shifting reptilians? Seems like the best explanation that's been presented so far.

Careful. he'll probably sue you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

looking forward to the movie, Russel Crowe could play Paul Kimmage, Christian Bale as Lance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

looking forward to the movie, Russel Crowe could play Paul Kimmage, Christian Bale as Lance?

Not sure Mr Bale could achieve the "athletic physique" of Mr Armstrong, he's either super buff or y'know, the other one:
    christian-bale-body-transformation_ioyN3_22974.jpg

he did play a junkie in a sports movie

bale%2Bfighter.jpg

• Advertisement

376991-the-fighter.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement