Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭BGOllie

... well...

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is there a reason why Americans say 'Sodder'? Always irked me in youtube videos!

Trump's fault no doubt...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

hqdefault.jpg

ICE COLD SODDER!

#1 problem in pinballs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Todd looks well in that photo.
    Love his videos but he makes so many i cant keep up.

finaly got around to getting that Area51/Maximum Force combo cab ... it's actually fun in two player mode :)
    now I can at last more on to fixing that Gladiator pin

19693509_10155489636688276_7452769339557280349_o.jpg?oh=f618fcfe7f2baef4973d15bd8c7ee107&oe=59C3779B

• Advertisement

nice to see it up and running .
    Was it just the PSU?

no I changed the PSU and the pcb didn't boot. Found a bare pcbs on uk-vac for cheap, (they tend to go for upwards of 180 on ebay !! ) and that's about it. The pcb I'm running at the moment has sound issues and the odd display flicker though, but I'm waiting on another one

Monitor is working perfect. the cab just needs a clean , a bit of harnest tidying and new art for the control panel as it's peeling off. I'll have to reconnect the coin mechs too, but overall it's working and playable :)

Very good.
    Any chance of it running another game?

well it's jamma so technically , any of these should be easy enough to run on it :
    Zero Point , Point Blank, Sharpshooter, Police Trainer, Lethal Enforcers, Lord of Gun, Rapid Fire, Invasion, Carnevil, Eggventure ...

A lot of these though have specific connectors for the guns and sound and doors so it gets just as messy as making non jamma adapters

ZeroPoint.pcb.jpg

I suppose anything that uses standard light guns should work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think iirc all these can use the same pinout /guns ,Zero Point , Police Trainer, Lethal Enforcers there is definitely another that i cant remember the name of ,I
    think lord of gun carnevail and eggventure might as well but i just cant remember exactly anymore its been a long time since i messed with them , point blank was definitely different for guns and pinout anyway.I used to love police trainer when it came out !

It could look like franken cab with a load of different guns hanging off it ! lol

edit : :o oops the other might actually be area 51 lol, is the area 51 mirrored maybe thats why it didnt register with me straight away .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Is anyone able to make up a power supply that can output +5v @ 30A and +12v @ 7.5A with the correct connectors for my Ridge Racer upright cab(or reuse the connectors already attached)?

Basically the same as this guy did:
    http://www.ukvac.com/forum/ridge-racer-1-2-power-supply-sold_topic354458.html

The original power supply below has been dying for a while now and I really need to get it replaced, ideally with a modded version of a more modern ATX or newer arcade PSU if possible.

I can provide more detailed pics of connectors etc if anyone is willing to do it.

n5x5mrC.jpg

I'm of course not expecting it to be done for free. Can pay cash or trade some retro gear for services. I have a lot of nice retro stuff so I'm sure I'll have something of interest :)

I made an ATX into a jamma supple before.
    Its so easy.

All you gotta do is chop all the wires (from your new PSU) and join the same colours together in a connector block .
    Then chop the old cable where it comes out of the old psu and join them up to the new connector block.

You wont have to repin the molex connector or anything I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Would an ATX supply push 30 amps?

Inviere wrote: »
    Would an ATX supply push 30 amps?

The one linked to is an ATX psu so some must be able too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If I have to I will have a go at making one myself. But with it being a power supply and me not being very experienced with making and modding PSU's I was hoping to get someone more confident to do it.

It's to go in my Ridge Racer cab, so I don't want to burn it down to bits :)

Its as easy as changing a plug!
    Just make sure the atx psu you buy isn't a fancy gamer one with all black wires !

Its as easy as changing a plug!
    Just make sure the atx psu you buy isn't a fancy gamer one with all black wires !

Yeah its handy, in that UKvac link he just cut the cables off a standard ATX power supply and added connectors for the Ridge Racer cab.

Easier if you have a pinout for the ridge racer connectors?

filmed the repair of the galaga boards I fixed recently. This one was pretty easy :

Steve X2 wrote: »
    If I have to I will have a go at making one myself. But with it being a power supply and me not being very experienced with making and modding PSU's I was hoping to get someone more confident to do it.

It's to go in my Ridge Racer cab, so I don't want to burn it down to bits :)

Here's one another guy replaced.
    http://ridgeracer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6&sid=c67f45463fa7968614f4864d96a8d2a2

Also can you get one from namco?
    https://www.namcoparts.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=91

• Advertisement

Vewlix for the Cork office.

wA2X9c.jpg

tWCVdh.jpg

New amp, extra buttons 5,6,7 to Jpac.

Needs an LED marquee me thinks

No way! The real deal or a clone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭geotrig

Very nice dude ,one from Mo's batch ?...
    @brownfinger Think the majority of vewlixs around are clones ....... considering how much more proper ones get compared to them it's a no brainer

geotrig wrote: »
    Very nice dude ,one from Mo's batch ?...
    @brownfinger Think the majority of vewlixs around are clones ....... considering how much more proper ones get compared to them it's a no brainer
    Yeah its from Mo, only charged €150 delivery to Cork.
    I believe it is a clone or a Chinese Vewlix aka Chewlix.
    I prefer the Black and Red ones but this is what he had.
    Oke of the other lads has spent lots of time with Hyperspin so its pretty much flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

wow that looks like a fantastic machine well wear dude

lucky repair of a 3rd galaga board (of that cheap lot of 3 broken boards I got on ebay)

Nothing too complicated on this one but tons of little things missing and broken.
    - Broken legs on 2 custom ICs
    - Missing Eprom
    - Missing prom
    - replaced 74ls386
    - repaired broken resistor array
    - ribbon connector missing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is no game so perfect as Galaga...
    I think, if I had a gamesroom containing Galaga, Pacman and Robotron I would be happy forever....

Great work on Galaga Ollie, never throught if soldering legs back on. Will get to that stack of PCB's i have some day.

In other news, got the Ericsson Portable PC running with DOS 3.0.
    Got a lovely chap in Clonskeagh to copy two 5.25" floppy disks.
    Have a Millenium Bug issue though :)
    5gwuTE5.jpg
    Least i have a command prompt now. Just want to get a text adventure or a MUD running really.

lAqDQQ1.jpg

Dont think i will ever get the inbuilt printer working, needs a good retrobrite job too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yeah its from Mo, only charged €150 delivery to Cork.
    I believe it is a clone or a Chinese Vewlix aka Chewlix.
    I prefer the Black and Red ones but this is what he had.
    Oke of the other lads has spent lots of time with Hyperspin so its pretty much flawless.

What have you running in that Viewlix?
    I like my RPi3 but I reckon it's probably going to be replaced with something a little more serious in the coming 12 months.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What have you running in that Viewlix?
    I like my RPi3 but I reckon it's probably going to be replaced with something a little more serious in the coming 12 months.

The RPi foundation might have something nice coming out within the next 8-12 months that might do the job you need with beefier specs etc. :)

Advertisement