Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

D'oh! Region modded Super Famicom. Not US.

Will clean again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

brianon wrote: »

Will clean again.

Super Mario RPG is a notoriously difficult game to get running on non US systems - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/mariorpg.htm

The fact that you had it working though, tells me it's connectivity related

EnterNow wrote: »

Will clean again.

Super Mario RPG is a notoriously difficult game to get running on non US systems - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/mariorpg.htm

The fact that you had it working though, tells me it's connectivity related

Hmmmm. I've cleaned it to within an inch of its life and still no joy. Other us games work fine. Reason I suspected the battery is the fact I had tried to remove it but realised it was soldered after I couldn't prise it out. It worked after that but not since.

Hmmmm. I've cleaned it to within an inch of its life and still no joy. Other us games work fine. Reason I suspected the battery is the fact I had tried to remove it but realised it was soldered after I couldn't prise it out. It worked after that but not since.

I'd recommend changing out the battery, it's something that'll have to be done anyway so you may as well do it. If it still doesn't work after that, you have at least eliminated the battery & can look at other causes.

Well it's worked 3 times now. But each time as soon as I turn it off and back on it doesn't work.

I could try the battery I guess. It's a desolder job ?

• Advertisement

I could try the battery I guess. It's a desolder job ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70634422&postcount=84

Right. I got it working again and remembered the battery so I checked and the save game from earlier today is still there.

I cleaned it GOOD but the metal clip on the case of the game seemed a little dirty. I cleaned it (as best I could) and no go.

I then found a game with the metal clip in very good condition. Swapped the game over to that case and managed to get it to work. Re-started and ... nothing.

I then left it off for 30 seconds and back on and it did work. A quick reset and nothing. A slow reset and it worked.

Great I thought. Switched back to the original case and re-cleaned that clip. Nothing.

Back to the other case and ... NOTHING!

Just can't get a consistent behaviour out of it. I does seem to work more frequently in the other case with the better looking clip but still not great.

Now. I do have a new (ebay bought) SNES 62-pin I could try.

The fact the save game remained seems to point away from the battery. Worth putting in the 62-pin. Keeping in mind that every other game works pretty(some games require the odd blow...oh er missus) well.

I cleaned it GOOD but the metal clip on the case of the game seemed a little dirty.

Whats this metal clip you mention?

Hard to explain. Take a game like Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island or Starfox.

Hold it in front of you with the front of the cartridge facing you.
    Turn upside down. You'll see the clip underneath on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just a post to catalogue the lasers used in various consoles, I'll update as I find more information.

Amiga CD32

These consoles use the Sony KSS-210A laser assembly. Spares are readily available on Ebay, replacement will need to have the on-board pot adjusted after installation.

Sega Mega CD
    Uses a JVC OPT-5 (Optima 5), difficult to get now.

Sega Mega CD 2
    Two different assemblies are used depending on the revision of the console.
    Sega CD 2 revision 1 (silver ring spindle) Samsung SOH-04T
    Sega CD 2 revision 2 (all black spindle) Sony KSS-210A / Sony KSS-220A

Panasonic FZ-1 3DO

This uses a Sanyo SF-92.5 (11/4 pin) unit. These comes in two types - long cable and short cable.
    The 3DO needs the short cable version as the sledge guide holes are 3.5mm whereas on the long cable version the holes are 3.0mm. If not sure if the sledge is easily detachable for the laser unit yet or if the holes can be bored out to 3.5mm.
    Most units on Ebay are of the long cable variety, short cable units are more difficult to find.

Sega Saturn

Use lasers made by both Sanyo & JVC.
    The JVC unit is a OPT-6, spares and compatible upgraded units are available.
    The Sanyo is a SF-P101N (15 Pin), again spares are available.

Neo Geo CD

Original (Japan only) front loader uses a Sony KSS-240A.
    More common Neo-Geo CD top loader uses a Sharp H8147AF
    Neo-Geo CDZ uses a Sharp H8151AF

All are still available, but a more common replacement seems to be a MVS :)

NEC Turbo Duo
    Uses a Hitachi HOP-M3. Getting rarer.

• Advertisement

Just a post to catalogue the lasers used in various consoles, I'll update as I find more information.

Sega MegaCD 2 & Amiga CD32

These consoles use the Sony KSS-210A laser assembly. Spares are readily available on Ebay, replacement will need to have the on-board pot adjusted after installation.

Panasonic FZ-1 3DO

This uses a Sanyo SF-92.5 (11/4 pin) unit. These comes in two types - long cable and short cable.
    The 3DO needs the short cable version as the sledge guide holes are 3.5mm whereas on the long cable version the holes are 3.0mm. If not sure if the sledge is easily detachable for the laser unit yet or if the holes can be bored out to 3.5mm.
    Most units on Ebay are of the long cable variety, short cable units are more difficult to find.

I can't tell you the relief it gives me to read I can get spares for those, top man! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sega MegaCD 2 & Amiga CD32

Panasonic FZ-1 3DO

Sega Saturn

Use lasers made by both Sanyo & JVC.
    The JVC unit is a OPT-6, spares and compatible upgraded units are available.
    The Sanyo is a SF-P101N (15 Pin), again spares are available.

Sanya are about to experience a huge shortage of SF-92.5 units.
    I need to stockpile these bad boys :)

Quick question in regards to a charger I just got in the post from an ebay seller (for my Rasp Pi).

On the auction he says it will support 300-700Ma so that should cover the model A and B Rasp Pi(A needs less juice). Now ideally you'd want 700mA+ for the model B that I have and this charger was supposed to cover that.
    But the details on the box don't match up to the details on the charger itself
    Box: output= DC 4.5V-9.5V Max 800mA

Charger: DC 5.2 Max 580mA

Should I be looking for a refund here or is the output on the charger usually advertised as lower than it can handle??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The box would suggest it's a variable supply with a max of 800mA which would be delivered at the lower voltage - but the PSU is labelled as fixed at 5.2v with a max of 580mA.

Either way is going to be too low for the Pi. The 'B' board has a requirement of 700mA without any USB devices attached, add a pair of devices and your requirement could jump up to 900mA.

Ideally you'd need a regulated 5V 1A supply to ensure stable operation, nothing worse than trying to track down intermittent behaviour caused by flaky power supply issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Should I be looking for a refund here or is the output on the charger usually advertised as lower than it can handle??

Might be safer alright. Definitely inform the item in the box is not as advertised.

It's much safer to go with 1A or 2A chargers imo, anda a fairly generic model that is known and tested to provide this much current.

I'll let you know how I get on with the cheapo charger i ordered when it arrives.

I guess this is the best thread for this.

Anyone got access to a 50W or higher laser cutter?
    Or know of a place in Ireland that sells them?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Probably a very common question on here but what's the best way to clean SNES games? I watched a youtube tutorial. the simplest one looked to be using isopropyl alcohol and Qtips to clean the contacts in the game.

Any other ideas?

Also where can I get Isopropyl alcohol?

Probably a very common question on here but what's the best way to clean SNES games? I watched a youtube tutorial. the simplest one looked to be using isopropyl alcohol and Qtips to clean the contacts in the game.

Any other ideas?

It's the simplest way of doing it. Most pharmacies should stock it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Any other ideas?

Run a pencil eraser on the contacts. The alcohol won't really clean all that much in my experience (with NES games at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's the simplest way of doing it. Most pharmacies should stock it

Failing that try maplin, I know Boots don't stock it anyways.

How much does it go for in Pharmacys?

The aerosol version can be handier sometimes.

I saw a 1 Litre non aerosol container of it in maplin also the other day for 20 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck sake, really not my week. First my veccy stops working, now I just took the A1200 out of storage after a year, booted it up and get the following error -

System Request
    Workbench has a read error on disk block 93199

It's a feckin compact flash drive! I wonder has it just come unseated or something?

Edit - well reseating the card didn't work. Damn.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Feck sake, really not my week. First my veccy stops working, now I just took the A1200 out of storage after a year, booted it up and get the following error -

System Request
    Workbench has a read error on disk block 93199

It's a feckin compact flash drive! I wonder has it just come unseated or something?

Edit - well reseating the card didn't work. Damn.

A read error? Any way you can format the drive & rebuild the file system?

Master of the Universe

Probably the only solution. You can do it via WinUAE. I haven't a clue how, but I guess I'll be discovering shortly...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Maplin keep it in stock

Master of the Universe

God damn it, nothing worse than one of those days when you're all excited to play something, only to turn it on and find it's not working - you then spend the evening trying to fix it to no avail.

Anyone out there with Amiga 3.1 Workbench disks I can borrow?

God damn it, nothing worse than one of those days when you're all excited to play something, only to turn it on and find it's not working - you then spend the evening trying to fix it to no avail.

Anyone out there with Amiga 3.1 Workbench disks I can borrow?

No, but I could make a clone image of my Amiga 600/1200 CF hdd and share it out for you if you like.
    Then you could grab it and burn it to a cf card using win32 disk imager. It would be tomorrow evening before I'd have it as I'm just back from hospital after I chipped a bone in my leg earlier.

Let me know anyway.

Master of the Universe

You're a gent, that would be brilliant! :):)

Sorry to hear about your leg, how'd you manage that???

No probs, I'll sort it out for tomorrow evening and share a link.
    It should be small enough as I think its a 4GB CF card so when I compress that down it'll be a few hundred MB or maybe 1GB at most.

I was going across to the Topaz station at the airport earlier for a quick coffee before I finished for the day and jumped the little wall there, top brick was loose so it came out when my foot touched it, smacked my shin against the corner of said wall and that was that :o
    It didn't hurt for an hour or so and then all of a sudden it was like a balloon and hurt like a beeyach.

I had the Amiga here so just did the image tonight. Sent you a PM with the links. The image is 1.26GB and extracts to 3 or 4GB.
    I included a link to the utility to burn it in case you dont have it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I was going across to the Topaz station at the airport earlier for a quick coffee before I finished for the day and jumped the little wall there, top brick was loose so it came out when my foot touched it, smacked my shin against the corner of said wall and that was that :o
    It didn't hurt for an hour or so and then all of a sudden it was like a balloon and hurt like a beeyach.

Ouch! Leg up, loads of ice packs and daytime TV should sort that out ;)

(The daytime TV is the most important bit)
    I had the Amiga here so just did the image tonight. Sent you a PM with the links. The image is 1.26GB and extracts to 3 or 4GB.
    I included a link to the utility to burn it in case you dont have it.

Thanks again! Just sent you a pm there.

Seems my bad luck is starting to turn around, remember the supergun I bought which had all the issues? Well the seller built another one which had exactly every problem I did. So was able to fix it and as a result, diagnose all my ones problems.

He's offered to fix my one and pay for all of the postage costs. What a sound chap.

Now, to complete the holy trinity, all I need is for Mitch to ring later and say my candy is fixed and he's dropping it out this weekend....:pac:

Advertisement