Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

weeder wrote: »
    just sussed this myself, does anyone remember the recall of the power cables? the reason was the power jack was soldered like a piece of ****, just hit off the power cord plugging in the ethernet cable and sure enough it shorted, luckily an easy out fix

edit: http://llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox%20power%20supply%20repair%20tutorial.htm
    link for anyone whos interested

That god damn link prompted me to embed this clip:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    The buttons can be put aside for a moment as the main issue was the D pad. I have a crap load of Megadrive pads..really really loads. So I thought it was just going to be a matter of switching the D pad rubber out. I tried another pad rubber and it had the same issue - ****e, must be the PCB. Here's where I ran into even more trouble. See all of my other multiple pads are the ones with red start buttons. I though the button colour was the only difference - apparantly not. The PCB in the controller is a different shape.

I bought a model 2 controller recently (1993 on the PCB) which has the Red Start button,
    and the d-pad feels horribly loose like you described! :eek:

I'd love to know is it just due to wear or were they always that bad, and were just used to them as kids.

In fact the dealextreme controller's d-pad has far better spring to it.

Popped the DX one open too and it seems to use rubbers also.

Sounds like a third party controller. Does it look like the official Sega 6 button pad ?

MegaDrive_6ButtonPad.jpg

Everyone should be using a pad like this. They really lasted and should be 100% functional (within reason). On the other hand the 3 button ones really won't work well today...unless you had the patience and multiple sacraficial controllers like I did above.

I think I may have to invest in one of those babies.

Do you know how it compares in size to the Dealextreme/cheapo chinese ones?

I find the DX ones a bit too small in my hands.

I'm glad you went crazily in-depth with those posts, found them very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good guide. MVS collecting really has to be up there among the most perilous when it comes to bootlegs.

Damn accent drives me insane though, he keeps doing that Australian/Californian/D4 upswing at the end of his setences. It's like every statement is a question. Argh!!!! :mad:

Good guide. MVS collecting really has to be up there among the most perilous when it comes to bootlegs.

I'd put STV collecting right up there. I nearly got stung three times trying to buy Soukyugdigujlksdjghsdlkjghsdgkhlkqerrkgldxrentai and Cotton Boomerang (twice from two different people).

STD collecting is the most perilous though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

has anyone repaired a disc not spinning problem in a sega multi-mega? i have two of them with the same problem, the laser tries to read but the disc never spins. i'm pretty handy with tech but have no idea whats wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mrmrbungle wrote: »
    has anyone repaired a disc not spinning problem in a sega multi-mega? i have two of them with the same problem, the laser tries to read but the disc never spins. i'm pretty handy with tech but have no idea whats wrong.

If the laser is trying to read, but the disc isn't spinning, that sounds like the motor is kaput.

EnterNow wrote: »
    If the laser is trying to read, but the disc isn't spinning, that sounds like the motor is kaput.

any chance you know where to get a spare? :D

mrmrbungle wrote: »
    any chance you know where to get a spare? :D

No idea, it's possible that Sega used the same motor from the Mega-CD 2...but you'd have to check it out. Sega16 forums may be of some help

No idea, it's possible that Sega used the same motor from the Mega-CD 2...but you'd have to check it out. Sega16 forums may be of some help

thanks, i'll check em out

• Advertisement

Quick video demonstrating my retro console capture setup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I replaced the screen on one of those Blaze/AtGames Sega handhelds(you know, the crappy ones).

There really isnt much to them at all. Not that I was expecting loads of rom chips or anything but I was a bit disappointed when I opened it up.

dsc0674dj.jpg

dsc0667z.jpg

dsc0662ya.jpg
    dsc0664l.jpg
    dsc0668jl.jpg

Lots more pics(and full size versions) and a quick vid of the screen/backlight here:
    http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/8588-Blaze-AtGames-Sega-Megadrive-handheld

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here's my guide to replacing a dud laser on a Philips CDI 450:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2012/01/cdi-450-repair-laser-replacement.html

@Steve - Is that where you got the screen for the gameboy/raspberry project?

@Steve - Is that where you got the screen for the gameboy/raspberry project?

No, I don't think the screen would work on the Rasp Pi, plus the screens on these things are really crappy.
    I actually have a few screens that might work on my RaspiBoy. Some from blackberry phones and some from Nokia phones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The innards of the Megadrive have been all on one chip since the Majesco Genesis 3 so you won't see lots of chips in these megadrive re-releases.

I was talking to a friend the other day and she was telling me her Game Boy Advance SP had stopped playing any kind of audio. I remembered I had one with this problem as well but had just put it to one side as I'd gotten a few GBA's that day.
    I told her I didn't have a fix for it and after a bit of time online I still couldn't find any guide or info(I'm sure there is something online but I just couldn't find it). So I decided to have a go at fixing my one and if that worked I would fix hers.

Anyway, long story short I fixed my one and then made a repair guide using here one. It was a simple enough fix, once I found the problem that is.

I tried to make the guide as detailed as possible without going crazy and make it so it was easy to do for beginners and not annoyingly simple for more techy folk(like the peeps who are probably reading this in the retro repair section).

DSC_0690sml.jpg

Anyway, here's a link to the guide.

http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/8643-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-No-Audio-Sound-Fix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Partly fixed my ghosts n goblins bootleg PCB last night
    Fault:No picture, EPROMs 1-7 getting extremely hot.
    Solution:replace, reprogram EPROM 1-7

There is one more small graphic fault I've to work on

Then next up is a robocop missing robocop and the backgrounds but the splash screens work

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

bought a A1200 but floppies get stuck in it, I have to pull them out :|
    Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i put a new 72 pin into my nes last year and its pretty much just been sat on a shelf since, I sold it on adverts the other day and took payment, before sending it i tested it and i was having dodgy 72 pin issues so i sent the guy a refund, what could be causing this? is it just dirt? Ive only got 1 cart i can test in it so could it be that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did you leave a cart in it when it was sitting unused?

not that i can remember anyway.

Clean the pins that the 72 pin connects onto, there could be a bad contact there somewhere. Also, give all the game cart pins a clean too. I got a Ninja Gaiden there ages ago that I thought was broke, it wouldn't boot at all until I cleaned the connector pins with a hand soap someone here recommended. Done the trick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh it could be the games, you need to clean all games before you put them in a nes, some of them do be filthy. removing the region pin too can help if you get a nes constantly flashing on and off.

Clean the pins that the 72 pin connects onto, there could be a bad contact there somewhere. Also, give all the game cart pins a clean too. I got a Ninja Gaiden there ages ago that I thought was broke, it wouldn't boot at all until I cleaned the connector pins with a hand soap someone here recommended. Done the trick.

hand soap? how would i apply and remove that without destroying the board in the process? cotton bud im thinking?

weeder wrote: »
    hand soap? how would i apply and remove that without destroying the board in the process? cotton bud im thinking?

I took the cart pcb out of the cart, applied a tiny drop of the detergent onto the cotton bud, dab of warm water & cleaned each pin that way. Took ages, but seriously nothing else worked. After I was finished, the cart booted without a hitch.

I always clean the edge connector pins on my carts and boards with isopropanol on a cotton bug.
    But you could also try cleaning the pins with wd40 on a cotton bud or with an eraser (rubber), the rough side works better
    eraser_usb_flash_drive_11.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I use steel wool. then medical wipes, my bro is diabetic so has loads of em, then clean that off with a bud. 100+ nes games now and they all work perfect. i do the same on megadrive, snes etc. I always clean them before i put them in my consoles.

blow_me_nes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

keithgeo wrote: »
    I use steel wool. then medical wipes, my bro is diabetic so has loads of em, then clean that off with a bud. 100+ nes games now and they all work perfect. i do the same on megadrive, snes etc. I always clean them before i put them in my consoles.

I may have pressed mediswabs into use for cart cleaning on occasion as well ;)

Advertisement