Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

AV scart? :eek: There's no such thing!

There's composite (AV) and there's RGB scart.

There are adapters to let the three composite cables connect to a scart port. But that's still composite.

Then there are some cables which look like scart cables but only have the composite pins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    AV scart? :eek: There's no such thing!

There's composite (AV) and there's RGB scart.

There are adapters to let the three composite cables connect to a scart port. But that's still composite.

Then there are some cables which look like scart cables but only have the composite pins.

That's what I meant. :o

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »

Sorry, I just must protect the precious scart name at all costs from being defamed by association with AV :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sorry, I just must protect the precious scart name at all costs from being defamed by association with AV :p

So AV doesn't stand for "Awesome Visuals" then? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n gets seriously defensive re scart/rgb/av etc. I once heard he strangled an rf cable & buried it up in the mountains somewhere.

• Advertisement

SCART/FART it's all the same bag of grapefruits to me. :D

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So AV doesn't stand for "Awesome Visuals" then? :pac:

'abysmal visuals' more like!
    EnterNow wrote: »
    o1s1n gets seriously defensive re scart/rgb/av etc. I once heard he strangled an rf cable & buried it up in the mountains somewhere.
    SCART/FART it's all the same bag of grapefruits to me. :D

Looks like I'll be digging another hole up the mountains come Sunday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nice work tackling the PSU. Do you have the console connected via RGB Scart or AV Scart? Or did you connect it via component?

RGB scart all the way dude :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Rightio back when I started gaming , it were all RF
    Irish/UK Tvs would generally have only had a coax connector at the back.
    AV was MAYBE on a VCR if you had a fancy one
    Scart was still called EuroAV back then!
    RGB Was a long way off.

The NES was the first console I saw with standard AV out, and it was better as it was a bit clearer and you didnt need to tune it in.It
    I was happy enough with RF back then so AV was awesome by comparison.
    This is why I'm not as pushed about cable quality as some of you , I was used to playing the consoles on RF so its just replicating the way I remember seeing them (and before retr0 jumps in I know RGB is better , my Meg is now teh awesum as I have a clearer picture with one )
    The chain of cables is in increasing quality is RF->AV(composite)->RGB->HDMI right?

Rightio back when I started gaming , it were all RF
    Irish/UK Tvs would generally have only had a coax connector at the back.
    AV was MAYBE on a VCR if you had a fancy one
    Scart was still called EuroAV back then!
    RGB Was a long way off.

The NES was the first console I saw with standard AV out, and it was better as it was a bit clearer and you didnt need to tune it in.It
    I was happy enough with RF back then so AV was awesome by comparison.
    This is why I'm not as pushed about cable quality as some of you , I was used to playing the consoles on RF so its just replicating the way I remember seeing them (and before retr0 jumps in I know RGB is better , my Meg is now teh awesum as I have a clearer picture with one )
    The chain of cables is in increasing quality is RF->AV(composite)->RGB->HDMI right?

I hear what your saying, but for the price of a few rgb scarts...the difference they make is so worth it. It's a very cheap way of maximising what the console can do, & if they can output RGB...I say use it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I used RF for years too. It was all we had. My first television didn't have scart sockets.

In this day and age of cheap RGB scart there's no excuse though. It's leagues ahead of composite.

I used RF for years too. It was all we had. My first television didn't have scart sockets.

d349c_061121_back_in_my_day.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I guess this is the thread for this.

I just replaced the screen lens on a Game Boy DMG-01.
    Its a thing of beauty now, not a mark on it.

The mark in the top left corner is not a scratch , its a hair or something that fell on it when I was taking the snap.

dsc5667e.jpg

Here's a link to a biggie pic if you want a close up view (it's worth a look).
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4620/dsc5667s.jpg

I really recommend everyone replace the screen lens if its marked as its cheap and easy.
    I used an official new DMG-01 lens and it was 4 euro inc postage and took less than 1 min to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Plugged in the Commodore 64 a few minutes ago; gives a black screen and continuous sound, any ideas?

Plugged in the Commodore 64 a few minutes ago; gives a black screen and continuous sound, any ideas?

Loading? :D

Dodgey rf, retune, check conenctions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I had that on my first C64 I bought........

As far as memory goes....Either the following...

1: faulty Power supply
    2: fauly chips on the mother board.....

Firstly open the system and just make sure all the chips are seated correctly.

Or follow this video......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdOWm5M0LL4

I had that on my first C64 I bought........

As far as memory goes....Either the following...

1: faulty Power supply
    2: fauly chips on the mother board.....

Firstly open the system and just make sure all the chips are seated correctly.

Or follow this video......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdOWm5M0LL4

I've also seen faulty SID chips causing this, but no harm in checking the basics before opening the console first.

Good video, but if yer man can go to the bother of making a video....surely he could have went to the bother of getting dressed :pac:

Any way to tell which chip is the problem? Both are quite hot after a few minutes of it being on; and they're soldered in -_-

Master of the Universe

That Jap Saturn Virtua stick I bought does indeed have issues. The C button is broken. Seems to be permanently set to on.

You can get around it in some games by putting the turbo button to on...but others not so much.

Anyone any experience with fixing this stick? I took the bottom plate off but couldn't get to the buttons/pcb as they're clipped in from the top and soldered at the bottom. So as I see it, the only way to remove them is to desolder from the bottom. Which as you can imagine, I ain't doing.

Master of the Universe

Tested my Saturn out a bit more and there are some weird things going on. Normally I can troubleshoot what the problem is, but I can't in this situation. There are too many variables between the console, the Action Replay and the untested controller.

If I boot the console with no controllers in, it boots Japanese games fine but won't boot PAL. (No problem here, it's a Jap region locked console)

If I put the controller in it won't work until I press the C button turbo to on. The controller then kicks into life, albeit with the C button continuously firing. This happens in both ports.

The fact that it happens in both ports kind of points to the controller being broken. As I think it would be a bit of an odd coincidence if both ports were. Unless they both link up together at some point.

Unfortunately I don't have another Saturn pad handy. That would let me know if it's a problem with the controller or the console. I guess buying another pad to test it out is probably the next step.

If I put the Action Replay cart in, sometimes it boots the Action Replay menu, sometimes it crashes on the menu, sometimes it doesn't boot the Action replay menu at all and either goes straight to a Japanese game or tells me the PAL one can't be loaded.

So here there is either an issue with the Action Replay itself or the action replay just doesnt work without a controller in. (If someone could test that out and let me know I'd be very thankful!).

It's also possible the Saturn cart slot is damaged.

So the possible scenarios are -

The Saturn Might be damaged
    or
    The controller might be damaged
    or
    The Action Replay might be damaged
    or
    The Saturn and the Action Replay might be damaged
    Or
    The Saturn and the Controller might be damaged
    Or
    The Action Replay and the controller might be damaged

Head melting stuff! As mentioned above, I'll try to get a new working controller to remove a few of the above scenarios.

• Advertisement

Just a quick vid I made. Hope it helps someone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Any way to tell which chip is the problem? Both are quite hot after a few minutes of it being on; and they're soldered in -_-

Bit late getting to this, but the SID chips are hot to the touch when powered on, it's normal.

Faulty PSU would be the most common culprit.

I bought a c64 a few years ago with no way of playing games,
    so it was never used and one day I turned it on and got the black screen.

I foolishly threw it away, after pulling the sid chip out of it for a project,
    and it turned out in the end that the power supply was knackered,
    the voltage was too low on one of the rails.
    (I think it was the 9V AC rail, it provides 5V DC also.)

It was that project that got me to learn a little about electronics, hence the silly mistake prior.

Just a quick vid I made. Hope it helps someone. :)

@ the start of the video:

"This is an ident I made for my blog www.pinkbullets.co.uk using Vegas,
    QBlock and some purchased audio software for the ident jingle and WTF JAPAN speech." :pac:

Master of the Universe

So my standard Jap Saturn pad arrived in the post today. And everything works fine again! Including the Action Replay.

So I haven't a clue what's going on with that joystick...but at least the console still works. Phew!

The wtf Japan speech says "pink-uh bu-lit-su, shoe-ting-game-ooh!".

Keepin it real yo! :D

An alternative meaning to "Retro Repair"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj1ysEL-Vdg#t=1m03s

I have Elite II and Workbench waiting for me in London; so I decided to open the Amiga (500) in the mean time to find out what this mysterious switch on the side does. There's really faint writing, on the left seems to be an "E" but on the right it's too faint to see. Basically it's a switch on the side under the floppy which, open opening, connects into the floppy drive. Anyone have any idea what this does?

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

seem to have a dying xbox :( getting a lot of automatically shutting down when its in the bios part of its bootup. sometimes just dies and others it will die on an error screen (im messing with a few hard drives atm so the error is that) but the speakers of my tv make a sort of weird sound, any idea where i should be looking? psu gets my money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

just sussed this myself, does anyone remember the recall of the power cables? the reason was the power jack was soldered like a piece of ****, just hit off the power cord plugging in the ethernet cable and sure enough it shorted, luckily an easy out fix

edit: http://llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox%20power%20supply%20repair%20tutorial.htm
    link for anyone whos interested

Advertisement