Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e/w against the favourite log

Options
  • 16-05-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

for clarification this is not an e/w "fancies" thread

This is a value based betting log which springs from an approach used by professional punter known as MUG you can read his rationale here

Essentially the idea is to find the horse thats likely to finish in the places at an e/w price thats too long. He uses betfairs realtime updates, which can also be found on timeform if you want something quick to load.

A few rules have to be observed, the race must start with at least 8 runners
    for 3 places to be paid out, anything less and one-third of your target has vanished. For this reason stakes need to be placed just before the off, another reason to wait until as late as possible is that a horse could be withdrawn that competely alters the shape of the market. Loosing a 50/1 won't matter much if 8+ horses stand their ground. A 5/2 shot will, as all the prices at the head of the market shorten dramaticaly. This could mean the horse you have selected is now too short to back e/w.

While MUG uses his sytem as just that, a pure system (he admits to no great knowledge about horse racing itself) we can probably add in our own willingness to trawl the form guides/speed-ratings and suchlike to refine this system and spot horse that might'nt strictly fit the system but are "good shouts".

Anyway I think I have that right. If anyone wants to chip with some more thoughts feel free, this is not my log btw so lets all see if we can find the value :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

I've posted my idea of the positives and negatives in the first 2 races.
    Comments are welcome.
    http://pricewiseextra.info/ev/

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    I've posted my idea of the positives and negatives in the first 2 races.
    Comments are welcome.
    http://pricewiseextra.info/ev/
    McCoy riding the 4th favourite a negative in the 2.20? :confused:

Verance wrote: »
    McCoy riding the 4th favourite a negative in the 2.20? :confused:
    I make it a negative for the 2nd and 3rd favourites place chances..........

Hmmm, I see what you're saying cause he won't give up on the place but I usually like opposing his rides as they're nearly always underpriced so value can be found opposing them.

Does Esprit De Fer 4.20 become an automatic bet when it is 10/1 and 2/1 a place and trading at 5/4 a place?
    That's where it gets tricky for me. The difference between 5/4 and 2/1 is huge 33.3% v 44.4% but the question is, is 5/4 the true price?

• Advertisement

Does Esprit De Fer 4.20 become an automatic bet when it is 10/1 and 2/1 a place and trading at 5/4 a place?
    That's where it gets tricky for me. The difference between 5/4 and 2/1 is huge 33.3% v 44.4% but the question is, is 5/4 the true price?
    I think it's fair to say it is, if you backed every single horse in the last 55,956 races on BF to level stakes, they would have returned 100.6% of your money(without taking commission into account). So, over a long period, BF looks an accurate guide.

On the 4.20, remember you'll be losing out on the win bet as it's 13.5 - 14 on betfair.

I think it's fair to say it is, if you backed every single horse in the last 55,956 races on BF to level stakes, they would have returned 100.6% of your money(without taking commission into account). So, over a long period, BF looks an accurate guide.

On the 4.20, remember you'll be losing out on the win bet as it's 13.5 - 14 on betfair.

Thanks. In that case strictly speaking all 3 horses are value bets in the 2.00 and 2.20.

Can you find any stats for the place market?

Rubipresent wins! Roodolph and Clear Sailing look good in the 2.20.
    Can you find any stats for the place market?

Afraid not but I'd imagine they'd be very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clear Sailing @ 11 on BF and Calypso Bay @ 26 BF drifting a bit.

Was a rush of late money for Clear Sailing.

mike65 wrote: »
    Clear Sailing and Calypso Bay drifting a bit.
    Roodolph now 1.18 - 1.19 on the exchanges and you can get 1.5 with the bookies... Clear Sailing good value as well, 2.6 with the bookies and 1.8 or thereabouts on BF...

• Advertisement

Clear Sailing 3rd, Calypso Bay nowhere.

So in the 2.00 £100 ew wins £360 on the 3/1 winner
    In the 2.20 backing both £100 ew you win £2.50..
    You could live with that..... lol

its £100 on an 8/5 winner plus £100 on an 85/200.

In the 3.55 there is only £4300 matched in the place market and £3000 of it is on Moving On........

Esprit de Fer looks a must bet if you stick to the rules of value betting.

Esprit de Fer looks a must bet if you stick to the rules of value betting.
    Yeah, 2/1 with bookies and around evens on the exchanges!

Looked like getting placed and then got swamped. Still, on 4 bets today the ROI was over 20%.

Todays early possibles

2:00 MAIDEN STAKES (2Y) 5f 161yds (BATH) Byrony 5/1 (now 11/4)
    4:20 SELLING HURDLE 2m 3f (NEWT) Mhilu 5/1 (now 9/4 fav due to n/r so looks too short)
    6:10 MAIDEN FILLIES ST 5f 10yds (WIND) Melodize 7/1 (now 5/1)
    5:40 HANDICAP (0-60) 1m 1f 103yds (WOLV) Celtic Ransom 6/1 (1/4 the odds) (now 9/2)

The mathematics don't work out for the first one at 11/4 as far as I can see Mike. 5/1 would have been great!
    But 11/4 is 11/20 a place and the place betting on betfair has it at about 12/20.
    It certainly looks a good bet to be placed, but there's no value in it.

Melodize 7/1 (now 5/1) this one could be worth keeping an eye on.
    Celtic Ransom 6/1 (1/4 the odds) (now 9/2) same with this one. He looks an odds on chance to be placed and you can get 5/1 (5/4) at the minute.

Nothing major value as far as I can see, will have to check back later.

Interesting to see the four Mike put up in the morning have all shortened.

Nothing major value as far as I can see, will have to check back later.

Interesting to see the four Mike put up in the morning have all shortened.

That's the MikeWise effect..... lol
    You're right on there being no major value bets at the minute.

You know that stat you posted about backing all the horses on betfair . Where did you get it?

• Advertisement

Adrian Massey, I've just realised that he might estimate the Betfair Sp though? Not sure, I haven't really used it before.

Adrian Massey, I've just realised that he might estimate the Betfair Sp though? Not sure, I haven't really used it before.

Its certainly an interesting stat if its right since it shows the betfair win market to be spot on.

I asked Mug to comment on yesterday's bet in the 4:20.
    You can see his reply here TipsterForm +EV

Todays early possibles

2:00 MAIDEN STAKES (2Y) 5f 161yds (BATH) Byrony 5/1 (now 11/4) unplaced
    4:20 SELLING HURDLE 2m 3f (NEWT) Mhilu 5/1 (now 9/4 fav due to n/r so looks too short) win
    6:10 MAIDEN FILLIES ST 5f 10yds (WIND) Melodize 7/1 (now 5/1) unplaced
    5:40 HANDICAP (0-60) 1m 1f 103yds (WOLV) Celtic Ransom 6/1 (1/4 the odds) (now 9/2)placed

early price possibles

3:20 HANDICAP (0-60) 7f 214yds (BRIG) Eager To Bow 6/1 (1/4 odds) shortened to 11/4 fav 2nd
    6:30 MAIDEN AUCTION STAKES 5f (CARL) Choose Wisely 5/1 off at 11/2 wins
    4:00 HANDICAP 1m 2f 50y (NOTT) Babycakes 5/1 or Hudoo 9/2 (worth watching the market) 2nd and unplaced
    6:10 MAIDEN HURDLE 2m 3f 110yds (TOWC) Like Ice 6/1 (off at 11/4 second fav) unplaced

early price possibles

3:20 HANDICAP (0-60) 7f 214yds (BRIG) Eager To Bow 6/1 (1/4 odds)
    6:30 MAIDEN AUCTION STAKES 5f (CARL) Choose Wisely 5/1
    4:00 HANDICAP 1m 2f 50y (NOTT) Babycakes 5/1 or Hudoo 9/2 (worth watching the market)
    6:10 MAIDEN HURDLE 2m 3f 110yds (TOWC) Like Ice 6/1

hmmmmmmmmmmmm I picked 4 races but only one of them matches those?
    TipsterForm Positive EV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Wodawick

hmmmmmmmmmmmm I picked 4 races but only one of them matches those?
    TipsterForm Positive EV

Morning all ! So this is where you're all hanging out now? I wondered why no-one was posting in the other thread yesterday.....

One selection for me today, based on the early prices;

2.30 Nottingham Fav 7/4, 2nd Fav 7/2, Fleet Captain 6/1, 10/1 Bar. (12 Runners)

I'm slightly worried that there are 12 runners, as I think the fewer the better, but I'm gonna take the chance on this one.

Well I did say possibles, the market will slip and slide by the off they might all look wrong or right depending.

I would have included the Nots 2.30 but for the fact its a very unexposed maiden race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Wodawick

Well I did say possibles, the market will slip and slide by the off they might all look wrong or right depending.

I would have included the Nots 2.30 but for the fact its a very unexposed maiden race.

I posted that up as a selection without realising that there is little or no form to go on. For that reason, I would avoid the race.

Its all about opinion. You might be completely right I might be completely wrong ( though according to the wife I'm always right!....LOL)

• Advertisement

4:10 Musselburgh is a 6 horse race. Couldn't have that!

Advertisement