Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bigslick wrote: »

makes sense tbh, Iron Man is a bigger franchise than Captain America film wise, and it was the success of Iron Man that led to the Avengers being greenlit surely.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Downey Jr. is one of the biggest names around at the moment sure, makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Aye, and simply looking at it from a Downy Jr. vs. Chris Evans point of view; I can't imagine that Captain America will ever surpass Iron Man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Btw, may be seeing this tomorrow in glorious 2D: figure I didn't get to give it a good chance whilst peering at the murky & indistinct '3D'. I was hoping to go to Cineworld for their 2D showing, but am wondering what screen it's on in. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

and now to meet someone more powerful than even the Avengers combined...
    RDJ's agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sure Captain America was totally useless in the movie anyway :D

Only killed about 2 bad guys...

Liam O wrote: »
    Sure Captain America was totally useless in the movie anyway :D

Only killed about 2 bad guys...

The measure of a true hero is how many he saves, not how many he kills.

Michael Bay's Optimus Prime take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Galvasean wrote: »
    The measure of a true hero is how many he saves, not how many he kills.

Michael Bay's Optimus Prime take note.

Good job Independece Days Jeff Goldblum didn't take your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He's still amazed at how his laptop interfaced perfectly with an Alien Computer. His name was David btw. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Jernal wrote: »
    He's still amazed at how his laptop interfaced perfectly with an Alien Computer. His name was David btw. :p

USB, duh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

He's still amazed at how his laptop interfaced perfectly with an Alien Computer.

The alien ship used Alienware PCs :pac:

I'll get my coat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, but now he's working in a knot shop.

(this thread is wildly off/topic, isn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

To me the only way a film deserves a reviewing in the cinema is a) you want to go with other friends or b) it's a work that truly requires another look to get your teeth around (and that's very rare - only one that jumps out recently is Margaret, and I'm going to wait for DVD on that one). To me, there's not really anything in The Avengers that requires a second-look. That's not necessarily a criticism mind - I don't think the vast majority of great films require a second look in close succession to the first. I actually think it takes away from the enjoyment of the film, as I tend to find myself 'taking it apart' a bit more if the film is still fresh in my mind, and means it will be a long time before I feel comfortable rewatching it again as it'll all be too familiar.

Again, this is just me, and I'm clearly a minority on here. But I had my fun with The Avengers: done & dusted, many more films to watch (none of which I'll rewatch immediately either). Not complex enough to justify spending more time with it when there's so many others in cinemas at the moment. I don't read the comics, but I very much doubt I'd feel differently if I did.

Fair point, but I'd compare the rewatch to being like, walking past a good looking girl, a really good looking girl, who is very pleasing to the eye...and then doing a double take for a second look at her. Not because you want to scrutinise her, but because you want to treat your eyes a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Fair point, but I'd compare the rewatch to being like, walking past a good looking girl, a really good looking girl, who is very pleasing to the eye...and then doing a double take for a second look at her. Not because you want to scrutinise her, but because you want to treat your eyes a second time.

We need better weather here!!
    I was on holiday recently and had many a double take (sometimes 4-5 takes:cool:, sunglasses for the win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

We need better weather here!!
    I was on holiday recently and had many a double take (sometimes 4-5 takes:cool:, sunglasses for the win)

Newspaper1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DeanJacobs

Penn wrote: »
    I was more so thinking the explosion of the missile hitting the Chitauri ship/base may have also pushed him towards the portal, then allowing gravity to pull him back through

The physics in that scene checks out. Turns out that the laws of physics prevent a discontinuous change in a gravitational field. Iron man couldn't suddenly go from earth-gravity to no gravity.

So he would still feel the earth's gravity on the other side of the portal. And the Chitauri ships would have had to use their engines to keep from falling in.

That wouldn't strain their engines, though. The gravity on their side of the portal would be about what one would expect from a dense asteroid -- one about the size of the portal but with the Earth's surface gravity.

Assuming a portal radius of 100 meters, it works out that the mass of this asteroid would be about 4 billion times smaller than Earth's. So the gravity from Earth that leaked through the portal would fall off quickly with distance from the portal.

Of course, the rush of air blasting through the portal into the vacuum of space would probably have been strong enough to overwhelm the gravity trying to pull iron man back down.

A book I found useful in understanding this stuff is The Physics of Stargates -- Parallel Universes, Time Travel and the Enigma of Wormhole Physics -- by Enrico Rodrigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

^^

And then when the Hulk catches Ironman that manages to break his fall and cushion his rapid deceleration that should have squished him like a bug on a windscreen. Makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^^

And then when the Hulk catches Ironman that manages to break his fall and cushion his rapid deceleration that should have squished him like a bug on a windscreen. Makes perfect sense.
    If you think Iron Man made it that far without disobeying certain laws about inertia and force and momentum you have another thing coming:

/lawyered.

Please note that he eats a howitzer shell, crashes (creating an impact crater) and then moments later stands right back up and theres no discernible dent or nary a scorch on the armor, save for a little facepaint. otherwise the rest of his armor still looked rather shiny for the guy who was just directly hit by a god damn tank.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here's an article in 2 parts on the "science of The Avengers": Part 1, Part 2.

Not read them myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was going to watch this today, but the showing at the most suitable time is the 3D showing. Have never watched a film in the cinema in 3D before....should I wait to catch a showing in 2D?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I would pay to see this
    Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'd still watch it.

3DUAF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Kess73 wrote: »
    You forgot Olivia Munn as the Wasp/Janet van Dyne

olivia-munn-belly1.jpg

more research shows that
    Eva Longoria will be playing wasp in Avengers according to the writers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    more research shows that
    Could we have a relevant link to that little nugget (of likely nothing)?

Could we have a relevant link to that little nugget (of likely nothing)?

Here's a quote from Eva Longoria when asked 2 years ago whether she was playing the Wasp in the first Avengers movie:
    "I had taken a meeting about a different movie at Marvel, and that’s where the rumor started. When I was walking out, paparazzi caught me walking out and they thought I was going in to meet about that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

don ramo wrote: »
    he signed a 6 film deal with marvel there a week or two ago, no word on another hulk film yet, but ruffalo will most likely appear in some of the other guys films, maybe iron man 3 or Captain America 2, cant really see how he could appear in Thor 2,

Saw it again last night. The way Hulk saved Iron Man definitely paves the way for at the very least a cameo in IM3. Also thought Banner and Stark had good chemistry* on screen.

*See what i did there? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    more research shows that
    Why link to the actor's wiki page, and not the source of your rumour? Bizarre. :confused:

Whilst Avengers 2 is a certainty, there's no solid confirmation of any aspect of it, sure it's not even finished its cinema run yet. Nobody involved has confirmed they'll be returning, least of all Whedon himself. The plates haven't even begun to spin yet.

Remember: not long after The Dark Knight came out, 'sources' were reporting Cher would be playing Catwoman in the third installment, with Johnny Depp as the Riddler. Until it comes from the horses mouth, assume bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Saw it Swords last night in 3D and loved every second and have to say this is the first film since Avatar that the 3D wasn't a mess.

Hulk stole the show for me but
    Banner's sudden control over him at the end was a bit off.

Hawkeye was
    not as pointless as I was sure he was going to be

Great action from Black Widow and her scene with
    Loki was brilliant along with her scene after being chased by Hulk

Loved it and can't wait for the blu ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Galvasean wrote: »
    The physical reason why Iron Man fell out of the black hole:
    Nobody cares

his suit ran out of power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Saw it Swords last night in 3D and loved every second and have to say this is the first film since Avatar that the 3D wasn't a mess.

Hulk stole the show for me but
    Banner's sudden control over him at the end was a bit off.

Hawkeye was
    not as pointless as I was sure he was going to be

Great action from Black Widow and her scene with
    Loki was brilliant along with her scene after being chased by Hulk

Loved it and can't wait for the blu ray!
    There was nothing sudden about it. Early on in the movie Banner talks about his secret for not getting angry and becoming hulk whilst on the helicarrier but gets interuppted by loki's manipulation of the avengers to set them off (and also hawkeye's entrance) The attack on the helicarrier just sets him off (he's normally in control but rampaging hulk can still come out if he's caught off guard or his stress level goes through the roof) The idea of banner gaining control over his hulking out is strongly hinted towards the end of the norton film and this just expands upon that idea. I would think that maybe in one of the sequels we'll see Banner's personalities split between Banner-hulk and Hulk-hulk, somewhat akin to Silent Screams

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Please note that he eats a howitzer shell, crashes (creating an impact crater) and then moments later stands right back up and theres no discernible dent or nary a scorch on the armor, save for a little facepaint. otherwise the rest of his armor still looked rather shiny for the guy who was just directly hit by a god damn tank.

Interesting how when Thor loafs him one it leaves a big dint in his helmet.
    Ergo, Thor's head > tank.
    And that is a scientifically demonstrable FACT!!

Advertisement