Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Dont know if someone asked this in the thread before but in the hulks first appearance in the film he is totally out of control but in his second freak out he seems to know exactly what hes doing, this inconsistency really grinded my gears.
    that has been explained in thorough detail in this thread,

basically

if banner gets stressed or pissed off enough (like when the explosion went off on the carrier) he transforms into an uncontrollable hulk,

but he can make himself become the hulk also, he has the ability to control the transformation, and in that instance he can control hulk, like he said "I'm always angry" but he can control his anger,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

don ramo wrote: »
    that has been explained in thorough detail in this thread,

basically

if banner gets stressed or pissed off enough (like when the explosion went off on the carrier) he transforms into an uncontrollable hulk,

but he can make himself become the hulk also, he has the ability to control the transformation, and in that instance he can control hulk, like he said "I'm always angry" but he can control his anger,

This is a plausible explanation,,,,, but I dont think the film does enough to but this across to the audience.

This is a plausible explanation,,,,, but I dont think the film does enough to but this across to the audience.
    yeah thats seems to be the general consensus alright,

at the end of 2008s incredible hulk (which is a lead-in to the avengers for banner/hulk) it showed that banner had learned in some part to control hulk, yet uncontrollable hulk still appears when banner gets really stressed,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Is there a kayfabe reason how Iron Man can fly at huge speeds and smash into the ground etc and Stark's absolutely fine? Shouldn't he turn into soup regardless of how strong his suit is? Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Is there a kayfabe reason how Iron Man can fly at huge speeds and smash into the ground etc and Stark's absolutely fine? Shouldn't he turn into soup regardless of how strong his suit is? Cheers :)
    No doubt there's a dozen variants on 'cushioning', but the correct answer is always "because it looks cool".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wouldnt look as cool if he knocked himself unconscious every time he gets twatted :pac:

saw it for the 2nd time at the weekend, loved Thor's "you want me to put the hammer down?!" line. and smashing Mjolnir off the Hulks mush as he charges towards him, great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

May be starks irritating inflated sense of self worth cushions him against any impact:)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

krudler wrote: »
    wouldnt look as cool if he knocked himself unconscious every time he gets twatted :pac:

saw it for the 2nd time at the weekend, loved Thor's "you want me to put the hammer down?!" line. and smashing Mjolnir off the Hulks mush as he charges towards him, great stuff

Real 'Fúck yeah!' moment I thought :D

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

overheard someone arguing about how Stark could have fallen back through the portal once on the other side if there's no gravity in space, guess the earths gravity was strong enough to pull him back through as he wasnt that far past it the wormhole/portal thingy
    mikhail wrote: »
    I am unable to perform the necessary piece of relativistic calculus to tell whether gravity would have an effect through a circular aperture (ignoring for a moment the physics the aperture itself). At least I know I haven't a clue how that'd work though.

All I see is two people who have never watched Stargate.

....Chumps.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    All I see is two people who have never watched Stargate.

....Chumps.
    Watched it religiously. Can't say I trust their wormhole physics is the same as The Avengers wormhole physics, given we've never actually observed a wormhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The physical reason why Iron Man fell out of the black hole:
    Nobody cares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

overheard someone arguing about how Stark could have fallen back through the portal once on the other side if there's no gravity in space, guess the earths gravity was strong enough to pull him back through as he wasnt that far past it the wormhole/portal thingy

Funny you say that, I finally saw avengers yesterday and there were three lads sitting a few rows behind and one of them was saying just that as they were leaving. I turned around and said "You just watched a film with 2 demi gods, a super soldier who was frozen for 60 years but is back, a guy who designed a revolutionary and life saving technology in a taliban cave camp and a guy who should have been killed by a huge dose of radiation but becomes a huge green monster that can and did punch out an intergalactic dragon type thing not to mention the alien invasion itself and THAT is the point you feel logic went out the window?!" He looked at me for a sec and then we laughed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

GAAman wrote: »
    Funny you say that, I finally saw avengers yesterday and there were three lads sitting a few rows behind and one of them was saying just that as they were leaving. I turned around and said "You just watched a film with 2 demi gods, a super soldier who was frozen for 60 years but is back, a guy who designed a revolutionary and life saving technology in a taliban cave camp and a guy who should have been killed by a huge dose of radiation but becomes a huge green monster that can and did punch out an intergalactic dragon type thing not to mention the alien invasion itself and THAT is the point you feel logic went out the window?!" He looked at me for a sec and then we laughed :D

I don't think you understand the...... gravity.... of this plot-point.

:pac:

In other news, a possible Hulk solo movie in 2015 hinges on the continued success of Whedon's take/Ruffalo's portrayal.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/looks-like-you39ll-decide-if-hulk-gets-another-solo-marvel-movie-2015/7715

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

In other news, a possible Hulk solo movie in 2015 hinges on the continued success of Whedon's take/Ruffalo's portrayal.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/looks-like-you39ll-decide-if-hulk-gets-another-solo-marvel-movie-2015/7715

Is this not a roundabout confirmation that he will appear in at least one of the other franchise movies? How can it hinge on continued success if his character isn't 'continued'?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I wonder will the t.v. series see the light of day.
    I remember getting excited about this a year ago when I heard that del Toro was helping out; but I can't imagine his version being anything like Whedon's.

Maybe that's a good thing though; I'd rather the character didn't descend to just becoming the "comic relief".

(The Hulk is my favourite Marvel character, so it irks me a little when people's review of the Avengers begins with "The Hulk is so funny!")

Aside from the above, can a t.v. scale budget really deliver a convincing giant green monster?

I remember getting excited about this a year ago when I heard that del Toro was helping out; but I can't imagine his version being anything like Whedon's.

Maybe that's a good thing though; I'd rather the character didn't descend to just becoming the "comic relief".

(The Hulk is my favourite Marvel character, so it irks me a little when people's review of the Avengers begins with "The Hulk is so funny!")

Aside from the above, can a t.v. scale budget really deliver a convincing giant green monster?

I think when Del Toro talked about it they going to try to limit the Hulks appearance as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I thought I was the only one who felt like this!

One thing I didn't like about the film was a lot of the 'clever' dialogue or action was mostly humour based, especially with Hulk. Would love to see Del Toro's vision of it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I don't think you understand the...... gravity.... of this plot-point.

:pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

is it just me, or does anyone think the first 30 mins or so . was just way to long to get them all in to the same scene
    weak story as always expected .. only for the hulk id of walked out
    i see the r6 screener leaked out to the net today to.. a dvd relesse soon too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah, what else would they do? "Avengers, ASSEMBLE!" *Montage*

To be fair the way they did it was highly entertaining. **** exploded and Coulson threatened an ex-bloc general with violence. On his own cell phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

^ Agreed.
    If it wasn't for the, granted, slow build up, I don't think the rest would have quite had the impact. It was nice to give them all a little into and interaction on a smaller scale rather than having it a full ensemble movie from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,285 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, it's not like they turned Hulk into a wise-cracking sidekick. The two funny bits they gave the Hulk were a) Hulk punching Thor (which isn't out of character. Hulk and Thor fought earlier in the movie but Hulk didn't necessarily win so chances are he would have punched Thor as a "F*ck you, I would have won"), and b) Hulk smashing Loki which isn't out of character as the humour comes from Loki rather than Hulk (Loki being arrogant then being smashed into the floor like a ragdoll and then the look on his face as he's lying on the floor).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^ Can't say I saw Hulk as the comic relief at all, he got two big laughs and that was it, arguable Stark was responsible for more laughs over the entire running time. Most of Hulks moments gave me goosebumps more than anything, is there a term for that? Goosebump relief maybe?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ...Most of Hulks moments gave me goosebumps more than anything, is there a term for that?...
    Good writing.

i still chuckle when i remember when Thor blasted stark with lightening and his suit got supercharged to about 400% and stark just goes "well will ya look at that" and blasts Thor right back, that whole scene would just make ya
    tumblr_m1owqbG84d1qiq7aso1_1280.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mikhail wrote: »
    Good writing.

I was confused for a second because I thought you were talking about my post, and I was like "well its not that good" then I realised what you meant. :D

Yeah, I think the Hulk scenes made me smile more than laugh. The two big laughs were great but apart from that, I just smiled the entire way through the final fight scene from Banner's epic line onwards. The reason Hulk got such a great response, I think, is that they didn't have him so.... doomed. In every incarnation of Hulk I've seen so far, he's just a sad, sad monster. It's not the most fun to watch cos you just feel fuckin' depressed. In this version, he had character. He wasn't just a sad man trapped inside a desperate beast. He was a man who'd reached the end of his tether and climbed his way back up; embraced his curse and used it. That was much more fun to see and, because it was the first time we've seen it, it was really really cool. In contrast, I'm now well used to Downey's Stark and that character kinda fell by the wayside for me in this one. Funny how things go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Seems not all Avengers are equal.....

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Robert-Downey-Jr-Paid-Way-More-Than-Fellow-Avengers-He-Worth-It-30948.html
    In the midst of their battles, there’s no star of the Avengers. That’s what makes the heroes such an effective team. Each brings a different set of skills to the table, and each is capable of doing things the others cannot. Behind the cameras however, there is clearly a star of The Avengers, and if you think differently, one look at their compensations will cause you to reconsider.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, once bonuses are factored in, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner will likely earn between two and three million. Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L Jackson should rake in five to six million, and Robert Downey Jr will swagger off to his bank with around fifty million dollars. In case you suck at math, that means Marvel values Iron Man’s presence roughly twenty-five times more than Captain America’s.

The reason for the payout discrepancy is partially due to timing and partially due to Downey Jr’s proven track record. Following the incredible success of Iron Man, RDJ got his Tony Stark negotiating hat on and convinced Marvel to give him a percentage of revenue from all films in which he plays the character. When the studio branched out to sign other stars, they offered them set performance bonuses instead. The Avengers will clearly surpass all the benchmarks needed to hit those, but even a basic doubling of their salaries pales in comparison to any percentage Downey Jr might have. Plus, it’s probable to assume the basic fee he gets for his services is higher too.

Advertisement