Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Cheers lad and best of luck. Ya every person you ask they give you a different answer.

There is way less activity on this thread than last couple of weeks for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bred

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Cheers lad and best of luck. Ya every person you ask they give you a different answer.

There is way less activity on this thread than last couple of weeks for some reason.

yeah I noticed that alright. I wonder did people get the bad news already and just couldn't be arsed coming back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LMG

bred wrote: »
    yeah I noticed that alright. I wonder did people get the bad news already and just couldn't be arsed coming back on.

Ya I was like that, the last few days. failed my eyetest last week, absolutely gutted. had everything done, didn't have to do my interview as I did it last august. just had my fitness to pass, hearing and blood pressure was fine. doctor is very strict and very strange. it's just the fact that I will never get in, is what is getting me. at least if i failed my fitness, I could try next time, but that's it. best of luck anyway lads to the rest of ye waiting on news.
    ps do ye think if i got laser surgery in the mean time and applied again next time and didn't say anything about applying before that they could find out that it was me??

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

I was thinking the same lads, fingers crossed!!
    LMG you could always give it a shot, worst that can happen is they'll say no. Can't understand why they don't allow people who've gotten laser surgery done. A few of my mates had it done and their vision is perfect now!

I was thinking the same lads, fingers crossed!!
    LMG you could always give it a shot, worst that can happen is they'll say no. Can't understand why they don't allow people who've gotten laser surgery done. A few of my mates had it done and their vision is perfect now!

Yeah my brother got it done for the gards years ago and it actually went in his favour. They were loving the determination. LMG I'm nearly sure they ask on the application if you've ever applied before so I'd tell them that you applied before and in the comments box tell them what happened and that you got the surgery. It'll should definitely go in your favour. Sorry to hear that man, should a small thing to go out on.

WOrried about the medical myself now. What examinations do they do.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that LMG. I was nearly in the same boat as you. I had to repeat my hearing and eye test. But I was very lucky to pass the second time around. Really doesnt seem fear because its somthing you cant really prepare for. But If I was you I would diff Look into the lazer treatment.

And the doctor being very stricked doesnt help. I wonder if he was told to be extra strick to reduce numbers?

You do a number of different tests including, hearing, eye, blood presure, lung test (you blow into a bag), urine and blood tests. and then the doctor gives the famous cough tests. He then tells you if your fit or unfit.
    Good luck anyway.

Sorry to hear that LMG. I was nearly in the same boat as you. I had to repeat my hearing and eye test. But I was very lucky to pass the second time around. Really doesnt seem fear because its somthing you cant really prepare for. But If I was you I would diff Look into the lazer treatment.

And the doctor being very stricked doesnt help. I wonder if he was told to be extra strick to reduce numbers?

You do a number of different tests including, hearing, eye, blood presure, lung test (you blow into a bag), urine and blood tests. and then the doctor gives the famous cough tests. He then tells you if your fit or unfit.
    Good luck anyway.

HA, I was wondering if the cough test was still done. Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

LMG wrote: »
    ps do ye think if i got laser surgery in the mean time and applied again next time and didn't say anything about applying before that they could find out that it was me??

What will happen when they cross check your DOB or PPSN to your previous application and see that your eyes have magically corrected themselves?

The Gardai might see that as determination but it's expressly prohibited by the DF. You wont get far by lying on your application.

concussion wrote: »
    What will happen when they cross check your DOB or PPSN to your previous application and see that your eyes have magically corrected themselves?

The Gardai might see that as determination but it's expressly prohibited by the DF. You wont get far by lying on your application.

what? the DF don't allow laser surgery?

Not yet anyways, odd considering the British and US both allow it and in some cases encourage it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I still haven't got back down, im strapping on that monitor tomorro and emailing down the results Wednesday... I rang up today and they said it'll more than likely be next week before I het back down. I'm starting to doubt myself now with all the lads who have everything done :-/

Id have to sell myself in the interview.. If I even get a chance to do it!

Just keep at them once you've emailed the results down. At least they'll see that you're keen that way ;)

I think once you have past the medical and fitness then they dont matter, that the result from the interview is the deciding factor. They take the top 40 from the interview.

Thats what I think anyway, I could be wrong tho.

I think once you have past the medical and fitness then they dont matter, that the result from the interview is the deciding factor. They take the top 40 from the interview.

Thats what I think anyway, I could be wrong tho.

Hope not, didn't think i done too well in mine although it was last year so can't remember it properly!

Hope not, didn't think i done too well in mine although it was last year so can't remember it properly!

You done well enough to make it through to the medical so you've as good a chance as anyone!

I thought mine went very well when I done mine last week, But as time goes by I keep thinking of things I should of said, so starting to think I didnt do to well now. :eek:

And everyone I asked about there interview they think they did very well aswell so its hard to tell.

Ah well it shouldn't be too much longer now till we know, it'd drive ya crazy haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭why so serious?

Lads and ladies, I have a question, if you have flat feet will it effect your chances of getting in? They can afford to be very fussy..

Lads and ladies, I have a question, if you have flat feet will it effect your chances of getting in? They can afford to be very fussy..

Don't know about the Navy but I'm pretty sure its not allowed in the army. Lots of traveling on foot, can't afford to have someone complaining about their feet, etc.

There was a guy on the same day as me, doctor told him he was flat-footed but he was still aloud to do the fitness tests so I'm guessing it's ok.. Can't be sure though, maybe email them and ask?

• Advertisement

Ah should be ok then, when are you down "why so serious"?

Well lads I was down yesterday and failed my medical. My hearing sucks and I've high blood pressure. A bit too young for high blood pressure but its probably a good thing the doc picked it up, so I'll have to get it looked at. I'd say you lads that done well will be waiting another while yet. Tons of people are failing the medical. out of 7 of us yesterday only 2 made it to the fitness. Best of luck for the future lads and hope itworks out for yez. I'm off to the GP, ha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

if you can complete the fitness test in good time I dont see how its a stumbling block. many people nowadays suffer from fallen arches (proper term for Flat Feet!), you can get orthotics etc to treat the condition.

bred wrote: »
    Well lads I was down yesterday and failed my medical. My hearing sucks and I've high blood pressure. A bit too young for high blood pressure but its probably a good thing the doc picked it up, so I'll have to get it looked at. I'd say you lads that done well will be waiting another while yet. Tons of people are failing the medical. out of 7 of us yesterday only 2 made it to the fitness. Best of luck for the future lads and hope itworks out for yez. I'm off to the GP, ha.

Sorry to hear that mate.. As you said though if it's true about the high bp then it's a good thing it was picked up!

Got the results of my 24 hour monitor today... No problem at all. Emailed down the results and they rang me back within an hour to say I passed the medical and will let me know when to come down and finish the rest!

Unlucky Bred. sum balls, but as you say at least you found out bout the high blood pressure, why do you think be waiting another wile before hearing somthing.

Well done blaine you must be delighted. Do you know when your going back down.

A mate of mine is in the reserves and he was trying to find out info for me last night and he said they will be letting people know on 1st of april if they got in. So still two weeks to go.:eek:

Not too sure, he just said he'd keep in touch and when I come down I'm to drop the full 6 page results into the hospital. No mention of any dates!

Oright prob next week so. They must be doing tests next week so aswell. Think there doing tests now 3 weeks plus next week. so 4 weeks ten people a day. So about 200 got cald back for interview and stuff????

What everyone hoping to do after recruit training if they get accepted?

Maybe but take into account what bred said earlier about only 2 of 6 making it through, plus people not bothering their arse to turn up in the first place!

I reckon anyone who doesn't get in on this class will be listed for the next class, why else would they be calling so many people? Its just a waiting game for yourself and rockagusroll, sit it out and you'll get the news you want to hear!

• Advertisement

Ya true, just hope i heard the news that I hoping for :). My buddy was asking me did I do a chest x ray that its a new thing that they brought in for the medical. Ye hear somthing about this.

Advertisement