Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Yeah I did it during the army medical about 3 years ago, actually I was surprised they didn't do it this time. I think its because they would have to bring you to the hospital in the city which is a bit out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Yeah I did it during the army medical about 3 years ago, actually I was surprised they didn't do it this time. I think its because they would have to bring you to the hospital in the city which is a bit out of the way?

Really. Ya i remember seeing somthing about an x ray on the medical forms we had to fill out, You never know we might have to them so,

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

What do the irish navy get up to all the time. I heard that they do a lot of cleaning and mopping, is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

effluent wrote: »
    What do the irish navy get up to all the time. I heard that they do a lot of cleaning and mopping, is this true?

Yes, they are the ones who keep the halls of power clean...

Seriously, Daily maintenance is part of the routine in all navies, not just the Irish. When you keep the ship clean, it is easier to maintain, as you notice damage caused by wear and tear sooner.

Yes, they are the ones who keep the halls of power clean...

Seriously, Daily maintenance is part of the routine in all navies, not just the Irish. When you keep the ship clean, it is easier to maintain, as you notice damage caused by wear and tear sooner.

True, plus nobody wants to live in filth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Trooperboyo

Has anyone got any info on these guys. How hard is it to get into? what are the fitness requirements? Who is eligible to join (officers and ordinary seamen)? I have put in an app into the army and navy, and I was just wondering what would the chances of getting in. I am a qualified one star diver, notting too impresive but would that help my chances.

Sounds like an interesting unit

There is an information booklet on www.military.ie which pretty much answers everything you've asked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Oright prob next week so. They must be doing tests next week so aswell. Think there doing tests now 3 weeks plus next week. so 4 weeks ten people a day. So about 200 got cald back for interview and stuff????

What everyone hoping to do after recruit training if they get accepted?

If I get accepted I'd be thinking along the lines of the communications operator, could be interesting! What about everyone else?

My preferences would be mechanician or communications operator but god knows where you'd end up!... I'm back down on wednesday by the way :)

Ah good to hear, best of luck!! Hopefully you might hear some new info then too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

Was just down today, 2 didn't turn up and 2 failed the medical so four of us done the fitness and interview, i think i done well, was told i should hear in two weeks time so fingers crossed:D

Was just down today, 2 didn't turn up and 2 failed the medical so four of us done the fitness and interview, i think i done well, was told i should hear in two weeks time so fingers crossed:D

Great another 2 week wait. Did you here anymore info 2day like how many got cald or are they calling down more people.

Well done Panda General :) Did they say if a class is still due to start just after Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Great another 2 week wait. Did you here anymore info 2day like how many got cald or are they calling down more people.

no not anymore info just the same we have already heard on here, just that they are finishing on Thursday.....
    Well done Panda General :) Did they say if a class is still due to start just after Easter?

I asked two fellas but they didn't have a clue, didn't get asking anyone else.,.,.

It was o e of the medical staff who told me that, seem fairly sure of it too. He tried everything he could to get my blood pressure down!

Yea The end of April is what I heard too so there must be some truth in it.. And they're finishing this Thursday? Good stuff, not too much waiting left then :)

Yup I also heard end of April. Thats good info bout tests finished on thursday. Fingers crossed now lads :D. Roll on April.

Do you reckon they take the references seriously, and effect pur chances of getting in?

Possibly but I wouldn't say they're the most important part at all.. Once ya done well in the interview and the fitness/medical, they should be the main points.

Suppose, I'll find put how many names are on the fit list tomorrow and let you know..

• Advertisement

Yea cool mate, cheers! Best of luck again, you'll smash it :D

I heard that once you past everything, the interview is the deciding factor. That your graded with a percentage and the top 40 go through.:eek:

I though mine went pretty well at the time.But now theres so many things going through my head on what I should of said but just have to wait and see.:)
    Good luck tomorrow Blaine, Ill be checking this thread out after work tomorrow to see what info you got for us..:) So dont let us down:D

In an ideal world we be all on here in two weeks time delighted posting that we got in.:D

Any surprise questions I should be aware of? No sleep for me tonight, driving to cork at 5am! :(

I'll see what I can do Mr Lazy! :D

Not really all the questions are pretty easy if you read the interview guidlines they sent to us a couple of weeks ago. Just keep talking and you will be fine.

I remember I was bricking it before mine, I thought i could never talk for 30 mins but once I got in there I couldnt shut up, cant even remember what I was saying ha. but the time flies once your in there.

Just have your answers prepared and relax, as far as I remember they're pretty laid back with you and try make you feel comfortable so you should be grand! Good luck with your early start, where you travelling from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Has anyone got any info on these guys. How hard is it to get into? what are the fitness requirements? Who is eligible to join (officers and ordinary seamen)? I have put in an app into the army and navy, and I was just wondering what would the chances of getting in. I am a qualified one star diver, notting too impresive but would that help my chances.

Sounds like an interesting unit

While it won't fasttrack your normal training, it may assist your application should a Naval Diver course come up, AFTER YOU COMPLETE YOUR TRAINING.
    It is open to all trained personnell, on the recommendation of their commanding officer. It is one of the toughest courses in the DF. I watched one course taking a summers evening walk from Haulbowline to cobh.

Underwater of course.

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Any surprise questions I should be aware of? No sleep for me tonight, driving to cork at 5am! :(

I'll see what I can do Mr Lazy! :D

So how did you get on? Did you here any new info?

I couldn't get any new info out of them only today is the last day, and it's mostly people who have to repeat stuff.

The interview was ok but like yourself Im now remembering things I wish I should have said... Aced the fitness tho, 9:38 on the run... It's a waiting game now. Best of luck to everyone!

Well done, good run time too :) at least we know today is the last of it so should know one way or another in the next few days!

• Advertisement

Well done Blaine. Hopfully we hear somthing next week so. :).

Advertisement