Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Navy ... any info

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

A friend of mine is in the navy and from what he tells me it don't sound too appealing, firstly haulboline the base in an absoloute kip, if you enjoy training its definatly not the place for you with senior officers telling recruits they are not to use the gym as they are not insured, When he spoke with one of the senior officers to discuss the issue he got the typical military responce in how dare a recruit dare do not question our methods. All the lads are left to do is go to the pub. When on days of he had to travel up the country and in the middle of 3 days off could be asked to travel back down to the base for 4 hours duty, and was told to take annual leave for days off to ensure this would not happen. he said he often worked up to 21 hours continous while at sea as navy not subject to health and safety, he also said the average recruit last 3 years. The Navy has not moved with the times and the organisation is very much like its base stuck in the 1950. The union PD Forra are ineffective and not looking after the welfare of the men. Unfortunatly for my friend he is stuck in it until he can find something better which is not easy in the current climate. If you are after job satisfaction the navy will just disappoint you,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The military suits some people and it wont others. Of course it is going to be tough. Any stories I have heard of the Navy is that its enjoyable but the hours are long.

And if Haulboline is a kip,well so be it,its not supposed to be a 5* hotel in fairness.

And the PDFFora are not a Union,they are a representive group. They dont really have the same sway as other unions in the country.

On the Gym issue,I may be wrong but it is my understanding that a gym may only be used when a DF PTI is present,as you said insurance reasons.

Haulboline is where you spend all of your time when your not on the boat. If it's a kip that is where you are stuck. I'd imagine patrols have been affected with the downturn in the economy which in turn means more time on land. I would not expect it to be 5 star hotel but their are more facilities for the lads in Mountjoy. When your in the base your duty's will include cleaning toilets and the likes. When you are on the boat, your bottom of the food chain and its a lot of cleaning tasks at sea. Military life is tough and disciplined I agree however working 21 hours straight is dangerous while on a boat. In relation to the fitness argument there was a recruit who took part in ultra marathons and was a fitness fanatic and as a result of joining the navy lost fitness and had to quit. The navy would not facilitate this guy. You are correct PD Forra is a rep body however they are completely inept and are not representing the best interest of the men, you have to ask the question why they are afraid to take any actions. Its a very small Naval base place down their and the only one in Ireland if you cross one of the brass, you cross them all. I would advise any of you thinking of joining to organize a trip to the base and talk to the recruits before i would sign up I am sure you will meet them in the pub after duty down in Ringaskiddy or Cobh. That's where you will get a first hand account.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

bLa bla bla where do i sign.

Of course your going to be at the bottom of the chain when you start off and doing all the **** work. what do you expected your a recruit like, there hardly gona hire a load of cleaners to clean the toilets.

I think it will be as good of a career as ypu make it.

anyway, good luck to the lads who have applied,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

MRLAZY wrote: »

Yep, all one thousand of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

00Blaine00 wrote: »

*coughs* from what I hear 3000 is a closer number!

can anyone tell me what the pay is actually like. The DF website is very vague!

One thousand, Military Press Officer told me himself...

bLa bla bla where do i sign.

Of course your going to be at the bottom of the chain when you start off and doing all the **** work. what do you expected your a recruit like, there hardly gona hire a load of cleaners to clean the toilets.

I think it will be as good of a career as ypu make it.

Happy scrubbing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

See the Careers paragraph of this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66341494&postcount=4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭why so serious?

How many are they recruiting do you know?

How many are they recruiting do you know?

One platoon, 40 recruits.

One platoon, 40 recruits.

So anyone going for interview shouldn't get their hopes up too high? Just a mate of mine applied and got an email back calling him for an interview in the next two or three weeks, he is full shore he is getting in. After the interview how long should he expect to wait before he hears more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Am i after missing this? I wanted to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What are the chances of being based in dublin ?

None the naval base is in county cork. Although naval patrol vessels sometimes go to Dublin during patrols.

Cleaning is a big thing in recruit training and it doesnt stop when you pass out.
    Plus its not €53 a day sea going you only get half that after the taxman gets his cut.

anyone got any updates on the campaign since the psychometrics? anyone got any emails back yet?

I know they said end of June, but i'm just being impatient!:D

• Advertisement

anyone got any updates on the campaign since the psychometrics? anyone got any emails back yet?

I know they said end of June, but i'm just being impatient!:D

No, you'll get an email the same time everyone else gets an email... How did you find the test anyway?

I found pard A and B to be ok, I took my time on part C and got to question 20 but made sure what I had done was right.

Later that day I remembered one or two questions I got wrong through out! :-/

part a and b were good

i got to 26 on c but jaysus was it hard!

the verbal reasoning was interesting, some real tough cookies in it......the comprehension went really well

I was talking to some people after and they said they just chucked down answers willy nilly.

Twas funny actually....when we were leaving, I got into the elevator, presuming that one of the others before me had pressed the correct button. Down we went anyway, doors open, there we are in God knows where. We tried a couple of doors, and alarms started going off.:eek:

Turns out floor one was the basement! haha......so we wait for the elevator anyway and I goes "lads, this is great, we want to navigate the seas, and we can't find our way out of a building ffs.!":D:D:D

part a and b were good

i got to 26 on c but jaysus was it hard!

the verbal reasoning was interesting, some real tough cookies in it......the comprehension went really well

I was talking to some people after and they said they just chucked down answers willy nilly.

Twas funny actually....when we were leaving, I got into the elevator, presuming that one of the others before me had pressed the correct button. Down we went anyway, doors open, there we are in God knows where. We tried a couple of doors, and alarms started going off.:eek:

Turns out floor one was the basement! haha......so we wait for the elevator anyway and I goes "lads, this is great, we want to navigate the seas, and we can't find our way out of a building ffs.!":D:D:D

Yeah on the way out I overheard a few people saying they guessed a lot of the numerical questions. Just have to wait and see, I reckon the fitness test is next for anyone who gets through.

Doesn't make sense to interview them first then possibly fail the fitness after!

it cant be much longer now till we hear back from the navy. Will you be giving your result on the physcometric even if you dont get through to the next stage? Anybody know what the next stage is it the phyiscal test or the interview??

it cant be much longer now till we hear back from the navy. Will you be giving your result on the physcometric even if you dont get through to the next stage? Anybody know what the next stage is it the phyiscal test or the interview??

Sometime next week the results are due out, it has to be fitness tests I'd say... How did you find the test? How do you feel about the fitness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Sometime next week the results are due out, it has to be fitness tests I'd say... How did you find the test? How do you feel about the fitness?

It's always been the interview and then the fitness test, unless that has changed recently.

Poccington wrote: »
    It's always been the interview and then the fitness test, unless that has changed recently.

Really? That doesn't make sense though. Would it not save hours of work if they did the fitness and medicals first?

Poccington wrote: »

They changed it back in 2008 when I was going for it, unfortunately the whole competition was called off one week before I was due to go down...

I thought it went ok, The last question was imposible to fin tho. Im just looking forward to see how I got on. I dont mind the fitness because I would think that im fit enough. I think the interview will be the toughest.

I heard that the navy are taking on another class as soon as thisone has fin??..

They changed it back in 2008 when I was going for it, unfortunately the whole competition was called off one week before I was due to go down...

Yes the samething happened to me, I got aletter saying that my test was canceled just a week before I was supposed to do it.

Just got an email saying I got through stage one, and that i'm getting another one on the 5th? How did everyone else do?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Can anyone verify that they got a response e-mail cause I haven't received one yet:(

Juicy432 wrote: »
    Can anyone verify that they got a response e-mail cause I haven't received one yet:(

Hey Juicy,

I also haven't received one but theres also a good few of us who didn't. I only heard of two people who got a response email so far.

Just out of curiosity, what time did you do your test? and test centre number etc?

Hey Juicy,

I also haven't received one but theres also a good few of us who didn't. I only heard of two people who got a response email so far - kielmanator and a girl I know from facebook.

Just out of curiosity, what time did you do your test? and test centre number etc?

My test was on the 9th of july at half one in the hogan mezzanine in croke park. Was there many more tests or was it just the 9th??

Thanks for your reply!!

My test was on the 9th of july at half one in the hogan mezzanine in croke park. Was there many more tests or was it just the 9th??

Thanks for your reply!!

My test was the same time as yours so we were in the same hall. There was also another hall below us doing the test as well, as far as I know. We were session two.

There was also tests at 10am on the 9th so I presume the same two halls were used for those, that was session one. I'm guessing their shortlisting a certain number of people from each session but its only a guess.

Bit silly leaving people waiting on an answer while others already got theirs, wonder what time kielmanator did his test?

• Advertisement

My test was the same time as yours so we were in the same hall. There was also another hall below us doing the test as well, as far as I know. We were session two.

There was also tests at 10am on the 9th so I presume the same two halls were used for those, that was session one. I'm guessing their shortlisting a certain number of people from each session but its only a guess.

Bit silly leaving people waiting on an answer while others already got theirs, wonder what time kielmanator did his test?

Well if all the other halls were filled it would mean a lot of test's to correct but still if two people got word two days how come we haven't heard yet!! It's a bit strange really they said we would here by the end of july and there's only an hour left of work and i doubt they are working tomorrow!!

My cousin hasn't received one yet and he was in at 1300 on the 9th, but ya I got one, from LT McGloughlin (mods snip if inappropriate) saying to expect further emails

I sat mine at 1000 on the 5th floor

My cousin hasn't received one yet and he was in at 1300 on the 9th, but ya I got one, from LT McGloughlin (mods snip if inappropriate) saying to expect further emails

I sat mine at 1000 on the 5th floor

Fair play to ya. So do you reckon they've let the people from session one know first then session two maybe next week?

Fair play to ya. So do you reckon they've let the people from session one know first then session two maybe next week?

To be honest mate I havn't a notion. By all means it's possible, but there's so much to-ing and fro-ing at the moment within the whole DF hierarchy nothing would surprise me. The e-mail said though that interviews were kicking off aroung the 17th:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Amyom

I was on at 13:30 i.e session 2 and got the email so they're hardly doing it by session?

I dunno its strange. The tests are corrected by a machine so the should know straight away who passed and who didn't... Sending out emails to some people and not others is a bit silly in my opinion. Gives the impression their not very well organised...

Just an idea, but out of over a thousand they could be disregarding some of the very low scores, and then taking cross sections of the passing scores and calling them for interview in stages/batches until the quota for stage 2 is met?

Yeah thats another idea, one of the lads rang up anyway and they said all the emails will be out by end of next week so will just have to wait it out!

Ah right sound. Hope it goes well for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maximus-2100

i was in the first session on the 9th and i still havent heard anything at all yet, but now that i have seen the last post im just gonna have to stick out until next week and see then

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

I got an email on the 6th to say I've an interview on the 17th in Cathal Brugha Barracks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LMG

I got an email on the 6th to say I've an interview on the 17th in Cathal Brugha Barracks!

Hey,I got an email saying that I had passed the first stage and that I would receive an email by the 5th to tell me time and location of the interview etc which never came.I rang last week and they said they would sent it out again and that my interview would be in haulbowline but it still hasn't come.just wondering if you could tell me please was there any other important details in that email that i should know of.
    thanks and all the best with your interview.

LMG wrote: »
    Hey,I got an email saying that I had passed the first stage and that I would receive an email by the 5th to tell me time and location of the interview etc which never came.I rang last week and they said they would sent it out again and that my interview would be in haulbowline but it still hasn't come.just wondering if you could tell me please was there any other important details in that email that i should know of.
    thanks and all the best with your interview.

I've sent you a PM. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LMG

I've sent you a PM. Hope this helps!
    cheers,thanks for that.

LMG wrote: »
    cheers,thanks for that.

No worries, best of luck with the interview. Its not too bad, just be prepared on the points they gave in the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 danboom

irishbird wrote: »
    my bro was in the navy for a few years and then transferred to the army. he couldnt take the boredom of 3 weeks at sea.

he loved the training part, up at 5am ten mile runs back for breakfast :eek: he was name best recruit.

there was too much hanging around not doing anything for him
    sounds like my kind of thing,i do that just for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

Well. Did anybody inquire as to when the results of the interview would be sent out?

Well. Did anybody inquire as to when the results of the interview would be sent out?

I'm guessing it'll be the end of the week/start of next week. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

I'm guessing it'll be the end of the week/start of next week. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

was told yesterday it would be about 2 weeks because they had interviews going in Dublin and Galway aswell.

I got the stats aswell if anyone is interested!

1193 applied for the apptitude tests.

600 completed the aptitude tests.

200 were accepted to interview stage.

was told yesterday it would be about 2 weeks because they had interviews going in Dublin and Galway aswell.

I got the stats aswell if anyone is interested!

1193 applied for the apptitude tests.

600 completed the aptitude tests.

200 were accepted to interview stage.

Where did you get these stats?
    Well one of my mates has been pretty much told that he is in, after the interview he was told "not to worry about a thing he got on grand" by a family member already in the army.

• Advertisement
Advertisement