Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

What are the chances of being based in dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Is there any way of getting around the 25 upper age limit? Do the NAVY run a seperate cadetship competition to the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The upper age limit for the NS is under 27 (ie 26) for general service and under 28 (ie 27) for Cadetships. NS, AC and Army Cadeships must be applied for separately but only one Competition is run per year (so far).

How come the General Service Booklet states 25?

http://www.military.ie/careers/booklets/genservice-eng.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

It says 27 in that booklet, maybe you were looking at the army section.

• Advertisement

Bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Pretty sure its still €57 per day allowance on top of your basic pay while at sea

Looks like it tommyhaas - a document I have states €56.14 per day WEF 01/09/08. The pay rate listed in this document hasn't changed since then, though it's possible that the duty has.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

did all ye lads apply??, does any 1 know how soon fitness tests, medicals and interviews are? I say there will be lot of ppl applying so competion will be tough.

is the fitness testy the same as the army??

• Advertisement

MRLAZY wrote: »
    is the fitness testy the same as the army??

Yes.

It would be helpful for all those applying for General Service in the DF to read through the General Service handbook found on the Careers page of the DF website. One discrepancy, the last Cadet Competition required a time of 11.40/13.10 mins for males/females so this may apply to the latest recruits aswell.
    Comordha wrote: »
    How come the General Service Booklet states 25?

http://www.military.ie/careers/booklets/genservice-eng.pdf

In terms of Patrol Duty Pay, the latest Cadet booklet states Cadets are paid €56.14, which would imply this is the correct rate for enlisted personnel.

HEY I JUST READ THE RECRUITMENT IMFORMATION HAND BOOK THING. ITS SAYS PERSONS INELIGIBLE FOR ENLISTMENT, AND BEING AN APRENTICESHIP IS ONE REASON???????????, WHYS THIS, I WAS DOING A PLASTERING APPRENTICESHIP BUT CONSTRUCTION WENT DOWN HILL, SO HAD TO PACK IT IN CAUSE HAD NO WORK, I WAS A FEW MONTHS AWAY FROM BEING QULIFIED. WILL THIS AFFECT ME?/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

HEY I JUST READ THE RECRUITMENT IMFORMATION HAND BOOK THING. ITS SAYS PERSONS INELIGIBLE FOR ENLISTMENT, AND BEING AN APRENTICESHIP IS ONE REASON???????????, WHYS THIS, I WAS DOING A PLASTERING APPRENTICESHIP BUT CONSTRUCTION WENT DOWN HILL, SO HAD TO PACK IT IN CAUSE HAD NO WORK, I WAS A FEW MONTHS AWAY FROM BEING QULIFIED. WILL THIS AFFECT ME?/

The reason for the ineligibility of apprentices is that apprentices are in a legal contract with their employer for a fixed period that may conflict with your enlistment in the DF. You mention you are no longer an apprentice therefore this particular ineligibility criterion does not apply. However you must be able to prove that you are no longer an apprentice.

You should call the Recruitment Office in the Naval Service to clarify your situation.

Also, please go easy on the CAPS. There is a reason no one else does it!

Threw in an application. Considering packing in a career in Financial Services to serve my country out at sea. The pay is bad in the NAVY but it's a lifestyle choice and I think if you find something you are happy with money is not an issue. Besides I'm sure it's just about enough to live off. If you need more just borrow against your public sector pension :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Considering the age limit is 27 instead of 25 like the army, do you reckon they'll aim for more mature people rather than lads fresh out of school?...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    There's a lot of hanging around and doing nothing in the army too, even more now that they've withdrawn from chad.

yip, which is why is has taken a sabbatical from the army and is heading off to a 3 year paramedic course in london

hey, anyone else get the email bout the physcometic test upin croke park??

hey, anyone else get the email bout the physcometic test upin croke park??

Yeah, everyone got them as long as they met the minimum age/height requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Yup got the email myself and will attend croker for the test.

Would have loved to have joined the army but was to late in life deciding what i wanted to do.

Is it possible to transfer to the army from the navy?

elius wrote: »
    Yup got the email myself and will attend croker for the test.

Would have loved to have joined the army but was to late in life deciding what i wanted to do.

Is it possible to transfer to the army from the navy?

Its possible after a number of years, but if thats the only reason you want to join the Navy then I'd suggest not to bother turning up for the test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

A friend of mine is in the navy and from what he tells me it don't sound too appealing, firstly haulboline the base in an absoloute kip, if you enjoy training its definatly not the place for you with senior officers telling recruits they are not to use the gym as they are not insured, When he spoke with one of the senior officers to discuss the issue he got the typical military responce in how dare a recruit dare do not question our methods. All the lads are left to do is go to the pub. When on days of he had to travel up the country and in the middle of 3 days off could be asked to travel back down to the base for 4 hours duty, and was told to take annual leave for days off to ensure this would not happen. he said he often worked up to 21 hours continous while at sea as navy not subject to health and safety, he also said the average recruit last 3 years. The Navy has not moved with the times and the organisation is very much like its base stuck in the 1950. The union PD Forra are ineffective and not looking after the welfare of the men. Unfortunatly for my friend he is stuck in it until he can find something better which is not easy in the current climate. If you are after job satisfaction the navy will just disappoint you,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The military suits some people and it wont others. Of course it is going to be tough. Any stories I have heard of the Navy is that its enjoyable but the hours are long.

And if Haulboline is a kip,well so be it,its not supposed to be a 5* hotel in fairness.

And the PDFFora are not a Union,they are a representive group. They dont really have the same sway as other unions in the country.

On the Gym issue,I may be wrong but it is my understanding that a gym may only be used when a DF PTI is present,as you said insurance reasons.

Haulboline is where you spend all of your time when your not on the boat. If it's a kip that is where you are stuck. I'd imagine patrols have been affected with the downturn in the economy which in turn means more time on land. I would not expect it to be 5 star hotel but their are more facilities for the lads in Mountjoy. When your in the base your duty's will include cleaning toilets and the likes. When you are on the boat, your bottom of the food chain and its a lot of cleaning tasks at sea. Military life is tough and disciplined I agree however working 21 hours straight is dangerous while on a boat. In relation to the fitness argument there was a recruit who took part in ultra marathons and was a fitness fanatic and as a result of joining the navy lost fitness and had to quit. The navy would not facilitate this guy. You are correct PD Forra is a rep body however they are completely inept and are not representing the best interest of the men, you have to ask the question why they are afraid to take any actions. Its a very small Naval base place down their and the only one in Ireland if you cross one of the brass, you cross them all. I would advise any of you thinking of joining to organize a trip to the base and talk to the recruits before i would sign up I am sure you will meet them in the pub after duty down in Ringaskiddy or Cobh. That's where you will get a first hand account.

bLa bla bla where do i sign.

Of course your going to be at the bottom of the chain when you start off and doing all the **** work. what do you expected your a recruit like, there hardly gona hire a load of cleaners to clean the toilets.

I think it will be as good of a career as ypu make it.

anyway, good luck to the lads who have applied,

Yep, all one thousand of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

*coughs* from what I hear 3000 is a closer number!

can anyone tell me what the pay is actually like. The DF website is very vague!

One thousand, Military Press Officer told me himself...

bLa bla bla where do i sign.

Of course your going to be at the bottom of the chain when you start off and doing all the **** work. what do you expected your a recruit like, there hardly gona hire a load of cleaners to clean the toilets.

I think it will be as good of a career as ypu make it.

Happy scrubbing :D

See the Careers paragraph of this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66341494&postcount=4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭why so serious?

How many are they recruiting do you know?

Advertisement