Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2011 ... For discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 mednow

Full set of GradMed notes for sale, 200 euro.
    Bundle includes Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Physics for dummies also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Seb83

Hi,

Does anybody have any links to free sample essays for Section II.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Seb83 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

http://www.revisegamsat.com/topics/essay-questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Biologic wrote: »
    What's your background? I didn't use a prep course and, to my knowledge, neither did most of the people who got RCSI last year. Most of the reports I've heard about them have been negative. Your best bet is just to put in the hours at home and save yourself a fortune. A good home study course will stand to you though (Des O'Neills etc.).
    I'm skeptical about Dr. Ferdinands courses. The only bit of feedback I found on him was here. I don't get why they keep stressing the fact that he is a doctor. Being a doctor in the US doesn't require GAMSAT. I also don't like the fact that he has people plugging his courses on nearly every GAMSAT forum I've seen. It seems desperate. I used Des O'Neills home prep course and it was very good. See my review on the first page of this thread if you want to know more about that course.

Hi There

I went to Dr Ferdinands course in UCD this year (for Section III only).

Dr F generally arrived 45-50 mins late each day (although he did stay back a little later on the Sunday, perhaps to make up for it). There was no apology or acknowledgement of being late. He seemed somewhat unprepared in the sense that he didn't have a marker to write on the board in the room (luckily one of the girls in the group had one) and he gave out handouts with the corners bend and hadn't enough copies to go around and they weren't all the same even though there were only about 8 of us or so. He even proceeded to eat an apple throughout one of the sessions which was a little distracting!

So apart from what I would deem unorthodox behaviour (!), Dr F does have a very nice way of explaining things in a basic and easy to understand way. He also is very gentile and patient and doesn't move off a topic until everyone 'gets it'.

It was a good starting point and perhaps I would recommend something like that course for someone who has no background in science whatsoever. I had no background in physics and it did help me somewhat, but I had a good biology background so I got 'bored' during the biology questions.

The plus is that I met some lovely people that I keep in touch with regularly regarding study tips etc. for the exam

What I've really found useful is the youtube site called "khan academy" for chemistry and physics. It's amazing. Very clear and simple lectures with examples.

I'm also using Examcrackers MCAT material (biology, chemistry, physics)and obviously the ACER sample questions to study.

I sat the GAMSAT in March 2009 with little study and no sample Qs before hand and my marks were

I - 60
    II - 59
    III - 55
    Overall - 57

I'm hoping to improve on this big time this year. Panic is setting in! :eek:

Will let you know how I get on and based on that I suppose you can really tell if Dr F, Khan Academy, Examcrackers MCAT etc. were really useful!

Oh and also the Griffith review for 2011 gives plenty of good tips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hey guys, been reading these posts for a while and found some of the info and tips excellent in the past. I sat UK Sept 2010 and got 62, applying in Ireland this year but I am sitting the exam tomorrow in Ireland again to be sure. I'm thinking of UCC. What do you guys think is a "safe" score to obtain entry in Ireland? .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

besht o luck to everyone taking the test tomorrow. i'm having my first go at it and am pretty nervous. here we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

drspock wrote: »
    Hey guys, been reading these posts for a while and found some of the info and tips excellent in the past. I sat UK Sept 2010 and got 62, applying in Ireland this year but I am sitting the exam tomorrow in Ireland again to be sure. I'm thinking of UCC. What do you guys think is a "safe" score to obtain entry in Ireland? .
    62 would have goten you in anywhere you wanted, except royal college, so its pretty safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Hi all,

Looking to buy preparation materials for GAMSAT in September and next April. If anybody is selling theirs pm me please!

hI there.

I do have virtually everything for the gamsat as March was my 3rd sitting. As I fully intended to sell my courses and materials I have kept everything in mint condition. Some of the things of have are

Des O Neills fully home study course including essays course
    Organic Chemistry for dummies 1 and 2 and the workbook
    Leaving cert physics and chem books etc
    I bought the OZIMED test exams this year 1-10
    and also I have acer sample test, practice test and full exam

all mint condition. Would be willing to sell for reasonable price. Just waiting to get results before I let go of them. Give me a shout if any of that sounds good
    Hi all,

Looking to buy preparation materials for GAMSAT in September and next April. If anybody is selling theirs pm me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

hi all,

was just wondering if anyone has a recommended preparation time?

was giving some consideration to sitting gamsat in the uk in september, and depending on results, resitting in march in dublin.

i have a degree in pharmacy, so have general science background (first year covered quite a bit of biology and physics) and needless to say have a fairly good grasp of organic chemistry.

also studied the three main sciences for LC.

any guidance greatly appreciated, and hoping not too late to start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yren8514

Seb83 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

GAMSAT Section 2 corrected essays
    G rock wrote: »
    hi all,

was giving some consideration to sitting gamsat in the uk in september, and depending on results, resitting in march in dublin.

i have a degree in pharmacy, so have general science background (first year covered quite a bit of biology and physics) and needless to say have a fairly good grasp of organic chemistry.

If you have a long history of reading a variety of books and strong science reasoning skills then it is possible to do well with little preparation - perhaps weeks. That represents 10% imo. Most would need to give 3-6 hours per day for 3-6 months to get a solid score.

Hey guys,
    İm already sick of waiting for the results from March. Roll on May already!! With regard to some of the questions on study time etc, I think that its all relative. Having a degree in Pharmacy would be handy. Wish İ had one!

İn general, and stating the obvious, the science section is where to focus. İ paid dearly on my first sitting there. Since its 110 questions every question really does count and with a sprinkling of luck, thats (in theory) where the study could come in handy. Once that is covered the essay section is a great place to bolster your score, especially when there are a limited number of themes and a few weeks practice can have you ready for anything. The only other thing İ would worry about for all sections is timing. İf you are working or stuck for time its definately worth practicing using various prep materials (acer papers/ full length exams) to nail your timing. Sitting at least one full length science section or more is invaluable. Thats where the OZIMEDs are good too. After getting stung in 2010 İ worked on this and my score improved instantly.

But like İ say its all relative, everyone has their strengths and styles of study but when it comes down to that nasty GAMSAT on the day, a good general knowledge and a lot of luck go a long way........

As for sitting the GAMSAT in the UK İ hear Bristol is handier for cheap flights and less crowded centre. İ sat London 2010, which was like a tin of sardines. But making the trip payed off :p

G rock wrote: »
    hi all,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 littlesquirrel

drspock wrote: »
    hI there.

I do have virtually everything for the gamsat as March was my 3rd sitting. As I fully intended to sell my courses and materials I have kept everything in mint condition. Some of the things of have are

Des O Neills fully home study course including essays course
    Organic Chemistry for dummies 1 and 2 and the workbook
    Leaving cert physics and chem books etc
    I bought the OZIMED test exams this year 1-10
    and also I have acer sample test, practice test and full exam

all mint condition. Would be willing to sell for reasonable price. Just waiting to get results before I let go of them. Give me a shout if any of that sounds good

hey drspock wondering how much your selling your notes for??

hey, obviously a relatively reasonable price. They are mostly in excellent condition, as I used them with the expectation of selling them. Ultinately, it depends what offers I get, as there will be great demand. Feel free to send me a PM and we can have a chat,

Cheers

hey drspock wondering how much your selling your notes for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xLalax

Hello everyone!!

Just a note to say that I am selling my GAMSAT prep materials. Defo found that they helped me get through the GAMSAT as they have lots of sample questions!

They include:

GRADMED prep notes:
    -Biology course notes
    -physical chemistry course notes
    -organic chemistry course notes
    -physics course notes
    -practice papers for section III
    -Section I and II sample essays and test papers

GAMSAT sample questions

Ozimed sample papers (papers 6, 7 ,8 and 9)

Des o' Neill sample questions book

Also have lots of books some of which include:
    -physics for dummies
    -organic chemistry for dummies
    -MCAT test questions for chemistry, organic chemistry and physics
    -verbal reasoning mastery and sample questions

Living in the Dublin area, but also travel between Dublin and Limerick quite a bit!

Send me a message if you are interested!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aesclepius

hi there,

glad to see you have some handy materials available. how much for the lot?
    Also just wondering if you were to sell bit by bit how much for Des O Neill (you have home study pack right?) or OZIMED 1-10? Cheers

xLalax wrote: »
    Hello everyone!!

Just a note to say that I am selling my GAMSAT prep materials. Defo found that they helped me get through the GAMSAT as they have lots of sample questions!

They include:

GRADMED prep notes:
    -Biology course notes
    -physical chemistry course notes
    -organic chemistry course notes
    -physics course notes
    -practice papers for section III
    -Section I and II sample essays and test papers

GAMSAT sample questions

Ozimed sample papers (papers 6, 7 ,8 and 9)

Des o' Neill sample questions book

Also have lots of books some of which include:
    -physics for dummies
    -organic chemistry for dummies
    -MCAT test questions for chemistry, organic chemistry and physics
    -verbal reasoning mastery and sample questions

Living in the Dublin area, but also travel between Dublin and Limerick quite a bit!

Send me a message if you are interested!!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xLalax

Hey!

Des O'Neill and ozimed papers are gone already, the rest are still available!

Has anyone used the The gold standard GAMSAT books? are they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

Has anyone used the The gold standard GAMSAT books? are they any good?

I got it as an add on, but really I found the MCAT ExamKrackers ones far better. Well worth the money. I will be selling all this and alot more if I get an offer in the next month or so (I am North American student so dont have to wait for CAO in August.. relief!).

Ill post when selling all this stuff on :)

kermicrzy wrote: »
    I got it as an add on, but really I found the MCAT ExamKrackers ones far better. Well worth the money. I will be selling all this and alot more if I get an offer in the next month or so (I am North American student so dont have to wait for CAO in August.. relief!).

Ill post when selling all this stuff on :)

Congrats on getting into med!! :) ive got the MCAT examkrackers already wasnt to sure about the gold standard but thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ducky88

I also have GAMSAT materials for sale.. see this thread for more details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056281612

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HWallace

ducky88 wrote: »
    I also have GAMSAT materials for sale.. see this thread for more details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056281612

Hi ducky 88. How much are you willing to sell these materials for?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

Did anyone get any results yet? It seems that they were out before now last yaer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gamsatgrinds

Hi Guys,
    Dont want to spam, so if need be i'll remove this...
    Gamsat grinds, essay advice, structured science review available in the Mid-West region.
    Group rates available
    Also Des O Neill Notes/Ozimed etc notes for sale. Please contact me here or gamsatgrinds.ie@gmail.com
    Website up and running soon...
    Good luck to those getting their results, and those sitting it in Sept
    Prepare well and you can do it!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

@mednow I am interested in purchasing your notes if your still have them. I know it is a while since your post. If anyone else has any material they want some cash for id be very interested. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KatieA

Hey everyone!

sooo... iv just finnished a degree in genetics and have got a 2.2, unfortunatley this limits my ablility to apply for many medicine courses which is what i really want to do!

Im planning on applying for the few courses that do accept a 2.2 but my first hurdle is the GAMSAT test!

However the practice questions i have been looking at appear to be very diffferent from the chemistry and biology i have covered at school and university (I live in scotland).

Would pps recommend covereing A-level chemisty, biology and physics. And what are the best revision material/books available as I have seen varied reviews about what ones are useful. Also would anyone recommend doing an online practice course or attending a practice course?

Any advice on GAMSAT would be greatly appreciated!!

Katie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hattie

KatieA wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

sooo... iv just finnished a degree in genetics and have got a 2.2, unfortunatley this limits my ablility to apply for many medicine courses which is what i really want to do!

Im planning on applying for the few courses that do accept a 2.2 but my first hurdle is the GAMSAT test!

However the practice questions i have been looking at appear to be very diffferent from the chemistry and biology i have covered at school and university (I live in scotland).

Would pps recommend covereing A-level chemisty, biology and physics. And what are the best revision material/books available as I have seen varied reviews about what ones are useful. Also would anyone recommend doing an online practice course or attending a practice course?

Any advice on GAMSAT would be greatly appreciated!!

Katie
    Hi Katie assume you are applying to UK Med schools...as in Ireland you need a 2.1 for GEM (although you would be eligible to apply for undergrad courses in Ireland)... Organic Chemistry for dummies is a good option to start with.. for the essay component read lots of short articles/opinion pieces in newspapers as you have to be able to present and defend a particular view point succintly.... there is loads of stuff on boards (GAMSAT forums) and also check out new media medicine website lots on that also....Check under Irish Med School admissions--GAMSAT Reults 2010 for lots of dicussion on this topic. Also see link below very interesting of current GEM student and how they managed to ace the dreaded GAMSAT! Best of Luck
    http://doc2be.ie/2010/05/16/gamsat-preparation-what-i-did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

I've just done the leaving and I don't think I'll quite get the points for Undergrad Med so I was wondering how difficult it is to get into GEM? I was thinking of doing a degree in biomedical science first and then applying. Would this help in preparation for the GAMSAT?

What sort of percentile rank would I need to get in on the back of this exam??

Would it be safer to repeat the leaving (something I really don't want to do!)???
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

YodaBoy wrote: »
    I've just done the leaving and I don't think I'll quite get the points for Undergrad Med so I was wondering how difficult it is to get into GEM? I was thinking of doing a degree in biomedical science first and then applying. Would this help in preparation for the GAMSAT?

What sort of percentile rank would I need to get in on the back of this exam??

Would it be safer to repeat the leaving (something I really don't want to do!)???
    Thanks!

The best course to do if you are definitely planning on sitting the GAMSAT is Natural Science as in this way you will learn bio, chem and phys all to a university standard and you'll ace the science part III
    Or do a three year degree so you can enter grad med a year earlier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

The best course to do if you are definitely planning on sitting the GAMSAT is Natural Science as in this way you will learn bio, chem and phys all to a university standard and you'll ace the science part III

This just isn't true. People with Science Phds have failed to succeed at the GAMSAT. Half of the exam is predicated on your ability to use the English language.

And the vast majority of the science you will learn in a science degree will be not applicable to the GAMSAT exam. No guarantees for aceing anything.

When you do get into the medicine course, a strong science background might well be a bonus, but at the same time the UCD open day told us that the highest scoring graduate last year had come from a law background.

My advice is do a degree you'll enjoy. It's four years long. The GAMSAT exam does not need four years preparation. If you enjoy the degree, there's a much better chance you'll come out of it with the requisite 2:1. And you might even forget all about medicine in that time and turn something you enjoy into a career, which is what we're all hoping to do.

Advertisement