Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2011 ... For discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

So the Griffiths Gamsat Review is worth a purchase yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Yep, very good starting point. Don't rely on it completely though because some sections (definitely science) aren't very comprehensive.

read most of the griffiths book this morning. certainly don't feel lost at all now. Now to get the head down into the science learning (which I'm perversely enjoying far too much).

Just a quick question about the Griffiths review....

He lists the Science core topics in the book and says it's not worth studying anything outside that. Is this accurate?

If you learn these core topics, will you definitely be set for the Gamsat? I know i'm asking on an internet forum 'is the book wrong' but just double-checking if anything's changed lately etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beckajane

Hi, Im attacking the GAMSAT second time round :eek: but am feeling good (and a little poor after doing another purchase on Amazon)

Im looking for Grinds or a course (s) in Dublin in the new year and can only find the random course (Dr. Ferdinand) which doesnt have the best reviews.. can anyone point me in a better direction?

thanks!

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    Just a quick question about the Griffiths review....

He lists the Science core topics in the book and says it's not worth studying anything outside that. Is this accurate?

If you learn these core topics, will you definitely be set for the Gamsat? I know i'm asking on an internet forum 'is the book wrong' but just double-checking if anything's changed lately etc.
    I wouldn't agree with the book on that. It's only one guy who wrote it and he has no insider information that we don't have. If you get a syllabus from another source they will probably have some extra stuff on it and say the same thing. Try and get a few syllabi for a more rounded opinion.
    beckajane wrote:
    Im looking for Grinds or a course (s) in Dublin in the new year and can only find the random course (Dr. Ferdinand) which doesnt have the best reviews.. can anyone point me in a better direction?
    Gradmed do one in Dublin too. I wouldn't recommend any of the prep courses to be honest. Anyone I know that scored well did it on their own. Either way you'll have to do alot of study at home, why not do it with 3 grand in your pocket?

Biologic wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with the book on that. It's only one guy who wrote it and he has no insider information that we don't have. If you get a syllabus from another source they will probably have some extra stuff on it and say the same thing. Try and get a few syllabi for a more rounded opinion.
    yeah that's what I figured. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

not sure the rules on posting links, but this is the website i worked off when i was studying for gamsat.

reams and reams of info over a few years period.

http://pagingdr.net/forum/

loads threads there and they give great advice on everything.

i think they have around 200 essays prompts alone on that site!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mottledone

Legal wrote: »
    I have notes from GAMSAT prep course in Dublin. They are practically unmarked and in great condition. They cover all three sections in detail and coming from a non science background they really got me through the exam.

1. Physical Chemistry course notes
    2. Organic Chemistry course notes
    3. Biology course notes
    4. Physics course notes
    5. Simulated Gamsat question papers section I
    6. Explanation papers on Simulated Gamsat papers section I.
    7. Sample Essays sectionII
    8. Simulated Gamsat papers section III
    9. UKCAT "600 UKCAT practice questions" by ISC Medical
    10. Biology for Dummies
    11. Less stress more success Physics (Leaving Cert higher level)

PM me if interested and for price.

Hey really interested in buying some of those notes off you.
    I'm finishing a law degree but hoping to get a place when i finish.
    what are they going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hotrossie

Just wondering if anyone has any previous exam papers for the GAMSAT lying around? Im due to sit it in March and was hoping to get some extra papers.

Also, does anyone know of any study groups? Im based in Galway so online would probaby be best

Cheers

• Advertisement

Are thoe notes still available? If so, what are you asking for them? Also, don't suppose you have any exam papers?

Cheers

Legal wrote: »
    I have notes from GAMSAT prep course in Dublin. They are practically unmarked and in great condition. They cover all three sections in detail and coming from a non science background they really got me through the exam.

1. Physical Chemistry course notes
    2. Organic Chemistry course notes
    3. Biology course notes
    4. Physics course notes
    5. Simulated Gamsat question papers section I
    6. Explanation papers on Simulated Gamsat papers section I.
    7. Sample Essays sectionII
    8. Simulated Gamsat papers section III
    9. UKCAT "600 UKCAT practice questions" by ISC Medical
    10. Biology for Dummies
    11. Less stress more success Physics (Leaving Cert higher level)

PM me if interested and for price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coffee maniac

Right so i sat the GAMSAT in March 2010 , I said to myself I wont study for it simply because I didnt have the time and secondly because I was planning on sitting the GAMSAT in London in the September.

I am now in 5th year of Biomedicine , I have covered everything from chemistry to haematology to biochemistry to microbiology and let me say that just if you think you have a strong science background YOU STILL HAVE TO STUDY FOR THAT SECTION. I went in withouth study but thinking I would be ok especially in the science section and I totally flopped it with only 50 points. The biology was horrendous , I mean I love biology and 5 years of biomedicine and I came out FURIOUS at the type of questions they asked in that section , now alot of them were graphs and the likes which i personally hate and its annoying because the chemistry and physics isnt like that!

The first section is mad , They annouced there was 5 minutes left and I am not lying when I say that I hadnt even reached the half way question so I literally just ticked at randomn , the questions are not easy but that are not too hard , tis more about reading very fast and remembering that and answering questions under pressure.

the essay type questions was my highest , I am very good at essay writing having had a story published in a book and won numerous competitions yet I still didnt score that great in it so it goes to show the kind of work you have to put it . I only did about 1 and a half page for each question and i definetly think you need at least 3 A4 pages as an answer , the topics can be quite tricky and this is why I would reccommend doing alot of essay practicing , esp questions you dont like the look of so you dont get a shock on the day like I did

I then went to england to the the GAMSAT , on the day before I got food poisoning , thats right , food poisoning , couldnt sit the damn test so no I have to wait another year to even apply so I intend on stuying from march right up to september for the English GAMSAT which is why anyone who sits the one in March I would love if i could get some feedback from different people

stick your heads down and study like theres no tomorrow !

good luck:D

Biologic wrote: »
    Hi all,

While the information is still fresh in our heads and with the benefit of now knowing our scores, I think it would be a good idea to offer experiences of the 2010 process to 2011 applicants. Obviously everyone will have different personal circumstances which will affect how applicable your advice is (time to prepare, background knowledge etc.) so it's worth giving a brief account this before you say how you tackled GAMSAT. Personally, I started preparing for GAMSAT quite late so I found it encouraging to read accounts of people in the same boat who had achieved a good score. Now me...
    I got 64(.5 but they rounded me down), which puts me in the 95/96th percentile. Should safely get me into RCSI.
    S1: 62
    S2: 64
    S3: 66
    Background: BSc in Biological Science and halfway through an MSc in Immunology when I sat GAMSAT. The BSc helped somewhat with the biology obviously but I was still relatively clueless on the all important chemistry and had never studied physics. The MSc didn't help at all as GAMSAT would never go into that level of detail, in fact assignments got in the way of prep. I hadn't written an artsy essay since ever and I don't read fiction/poetry so was quite unprepared for S1+S2.
    Time I had to prepare:
    About a month really. I registered late and had to clear an assignment backlog before I went at GAMSAT. On the plus side, I had the last 2 weeks completely clear of any interruption and I had the coffee stores to put in a good few 18 hour days in that time.
    What I did:
    Bought the ACER papers and Des O'Neills home preparation course including the essay correction. Griffiths GAMSAT Review was particularly useful for S1 I didn't study any further biology at all and just spent an hour or 2 brushing up on the circulatory/lymphatic/respiratory systems. Chemistry took up the vast majority of my time with half of that time spent of organic chemistry. Physics only got 3 days attention max. I bought those "AS/A2 in a Week" books which cover A level physics and frantically worked through the 2 of them in about 3 days. No specific literature/poetry prep for section 1, bar learning a few techniques from Griffiths. I aimed to write 2 essays per day for S2 but in reality I wrote about 15 total over the month.
    What worked:
    Definitely the essay preparation, I'd recommend it to anyone. My first essay took me 1hr 15mins and it was useless. In the actual exam I had it down to exactly the hour for 2 essays. I'm glad I didn't invest anymore time into biology. I found that the information was mostly in front of you for biology questions, it was just a case of deducing it. Chemistry prep payed off too. Des O'Neill notes give a very comprehensive syllabus for chemistry study and I'm very glad I had it. Without a solid grounding in both physical and organic chemistry I doubt I'd have achieved a decent score. Between Des' notes, ACER papers, Griffiths and an MCAT book I bought, I had way more S1 sample questions than I'd ever need. These were invaluable too as, in my opinion, doing sample questions is the only real way to prep for S1. Even though I was very short on prep time, I allowed myself an easyish day before GAMSAT and a proper nights sleep. I bought nearly every book and resource I thought might help and am glad I did. Even though some didnt really get used, I always had an alternative explanation of something there if I needed it. Lastly and most importantly, I put GAMSAT firmly on top of the priorities list for the last 2 weeks.
    What didn't work and what I'd have done differently:
    I should have had a more practical understanding of physics. If I'd known the formula of motion kinetics etc. better then I would definitely have scored better. No matter what anyone says, I still believe you're shooting yourself in the foot if you rely on GAMSAT to provide you with all the formula. There's an awful lot of useless stuff in some sections of Des' notes so use intuition if you decide to study them. I'd recommend the course on the whole, but not the more peripheral sections if you're stuck for time. Alot of the time I found myself getting bogged down by complex chemical reactions etc. when I knew it wouldn't pay off. An overall, general understanding of topics is alot more useful than knowing the name and structure of some obscure enzyme. If I could go back I would have allowed myself more time to prepare. 18 hour days are far from ideal and I gathered a sizable sleep deficit.

Conclusion:
    You certainly don't HAVE to study for a year to pass GAMSAT but you do need to study, it's not a glorified IQ test. Sure, one or two people will pass without preparation but if you really want medicine then preparation will help alot. Investing in prep material such as Des O'Neill notes payed off, though I wouldn't feel compelled to know everything they recommend. GAMSAT is definitely doable with ~3 weeks prep if you are willing to drop EVERYTHING and punish yourself.

I hope this helps. Other peoples accounts certainly helped me when I was getting into GAMSAT mode. Granted my last minute frantic study regime won't be of much use to anyone until closer to March 2011 but hopefully other people can post what they did and future GAMSATers will find an account of someone who was in a similar situation. If anyone has any questions on anything send me a PM or reply here and I'm happy to answer, I got good support from certain forums (fora?) and am delighted to be able to return the favour :).

Biologic
    just wondering do you still have the material you would be willing to sell ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 science89

Hey can anyone let me know if they've got any sample questions/test papers that they've finished with?
    Just about to start studying for march 2011 and trying to get myself organized confused.gif
    Anyone going to do the test in Limerick let me know!!smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madscientist

hi all,

does anyone have any of the ACER materials to sell and also the Griffith Review.

Have the gold standard materials which are quite good but need to really tackle the practice questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 r.galway

Thinking of sitting the exam in March. Is anyone else based in Galway interested in arranging some kind of a study group?

r.galway wrote: »
    Thinking of sitting the exam in March. Is anyone else based in Galway interested in arranging some kind of a study group?
    Im not sitting it untill september .. i think it would be good to get in contact either MSN or what not to just discuss things if people are so far away ... just may help a little ??

Im based in Galway. I was hoping to get some kind of study group going ave you heard from anyone else that might be interested?

Does anyone have a Griffiths Gamsat review for sale?

Ive just ordered the Acer sample papers and questions so Im hoping they will be here by the end of the week. I don't know anyone else in Galway sitting the GAMSAT, are you based in the city or the county?

• Advertisement

Im based just outside the city. About 8miles. Where are you?

I'm just in Knocknacarra, just working my way through some of the sample questions, have you done much for it?

NOt a huge amount I have to admit. Im working through all of the subjects and dabbling in each. I am really hoping to get my hands on some extra questions and exam papers which would be really beneficial but thats turning out to be a bit tricky.

There was another person who mailed me in December who was interested in setting up a study group in Galway. I will mail him and see if he is still keen. The more brains the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

hotrossie wrote: »
    There was another person who mailed me in December who was interested in setting up a study group in Galway. I will mail him and see if he is still keen. The more brains the better!

That's me and ya I'm keen. I'm trying to do a bit in the reading room in NUIG. I've tried before to get a few people together without much success but I'm definitely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

i dont get it, why do people study in groups for GAMSAT when ye're directly competing with each other?, its not like leaving cert or college exams where everyone just needs to pass and everything will be grand after, in those theres no competition between your class mates, everyone who wants to get an A or a 1st can get a first or an A the grades arent "curved" but the GAMSAT grades are "curved" even if everyone gets a certain amount of questions right not everyone will be in the 99th %'ile, unlike in college where you'd all get the same %/grade/what ever.

im not trying to be sore or anything, sorry if i come off that way... but isnt the main goal trying to maximise your chances of getting in? its cut throat business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

it can be helpful for ppl with no science background, and even in general, to meet up and get a grasp on what each of them is covering and what not. especially even more so when there is no set syllabus for gamsat and so much information out there to study. at the end of the day though, its all about ur performance on the day, and a but of luck. from personal experience and from talking to a lot of people i know who also studied in groups, usually only about one or two from the group will actually get in.

Im trying to study at home and hat has its own difficulties especially as there is an endless supply of coffee, tv and other silly little chores that prevent me fromdoing some real study. Whats the story in the uni Do you think it would be quiet enough to form a study group? Im based just outside the city but can make it in ok. I thought there might be another person, but I cant seem to find his thread anymore.

So, when do you think you will be free to start?

Caoimhe

Hi,

Just found another person who is interested in forming a study group. WHen might you be interested in starting?

Caoimhe

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

hotrossie wrote: »
    Does anyone have a Griffiths Gamsat review for sale?

I would be willing to sell you the Griffiths Gamsat Review. I found it very helpful. Just PM me if interested!

• Advertisement

galwayllm wrote: »
    I would be willing to sell you the Griffiths Gamsat Review. I found it very helpful. Just PM me if interested!

Is Griffiths not PDF only? As in there's no actual book.

Advertisement