Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2011 ... For discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 r.galway

Well Im based in NUIG, so I guess somewhere around there would suit me, probably the weekends, what about yourselves? I really need to do sections 1 and 2! My literary skills are non existant, damn you science!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

I'm the same. I have a bucketload of effort to put in for 1 and 2, that said I never did biology and only 1/2 a semester of physics and chem on top of leaving cert which I have completely forgotten, so I'm going to have to concentrate my efforts on that for a while.
    NUIG has been good for me, keeps me aways from the distractions at home, there are one or two group study rooms in the library, hadn't enquired about use yet. The library should have opened back up today. Others will get pretty pissed if there's people talking in the library or the reading room in the general areas though I reckon. Fair enough, it gets on my nerves too.
    If you're not attending uni and did attend previously like me you can get an alumni card for free by bringing in a passport photo and proof you were previously a student. If you add €30 you get internet access and borrowing rights for books too.
    I didn't bother with that as my brothers in first year and I use his stuff. I should be in there for an hour or two tomorrow, heading away at lunchtime but I'll be in there most weekdays from Friday on. Prob best to meet up some day and have a chat or something and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hotrossie

Can anyone recommend a good chemistry book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andy721986

Hi there,
    just wondering if anyone had gamsat material for sale? Im looking for the Des O'neill notes (all or for any section), ACER booklets, MCAT books or anything else people found useful.
    Thanks,
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

andy721986 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    just wondering if anyone had gamsat material for sale? Im looking for the Des O'neill notes (all or for any section), ACER booklets, MCAT books or anything else people found useful.
    Thanks,
    Andy

Andy,

I have most of the acer stuff, in very good condition. PM me for more info.

PS: am working in limerick city, and live in the vicinity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Paella

I'm desperately trying to complete my GEM application before I fly out of the country next week and I wonder if anyone could help me clarify what supporting documentation needs to be sent to the CAO offices in Galway.

From what I can work out from the CAO handbook, all they need sent to them is a full original transcript (all years) , a certified photocopy of parchment as evidence of conferring and GAMSAT result.

I've a bit of a panic on me now though and I'm unsure if any extra documents (Birth Cert, proof of residence etc.) need to be sent. Can anyone help? Thanks so much, P.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Just those bits and you're all set. You could give CAO Galway a ring and they'll confirm it with you in about 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sallyann55

thanks for the info, really appreciate it. i m studying for the test in march, i did it in sept but only got 55, but had no prep n am commerce grad, so dont think my degree helped at all! been writting loads of essays n getting grinds in organic chem, but i dont really know how to study for section one? do u have any ideas? also i d be really interested in buying some of those books off you, especially the acer papers and stuff, if u still have them? i also did the gradmed course in london, n was wondering if u thought it was much good, or had heard of anyone who did it, etc??
    thanks again,
    Gemma

lockman wrote: »
    Andy,

I have most of the acer stuff, in very good condition. PM me for more info.

PS: am working in limerick city, and live in the vicinity

if andy did nt buy those off you, i d love to get them?..
    Gemma

just wondering do you still have the material you would be willing to sell ??

thanks for the info, really appreciate it. i m studying for the test in march, i did it in sept but only got 55, but had no prep n am commerce grad, so dont think my degree helped at all! been writting loads of essays n getting grinds in organic chem, but i dont really know how to study for section one? do u have any ideas? also i d be really interested in buying some of those books off you, especially the acer papers and stuff, if u still have them? i also did the gradmed course in london, n was wondering if u thought it was much good, or had heard of anyone who did it, etc??
    thanks again,
    Gemma

• Advertisement

Hello,

My name is David and i wont to get a small group together to preparing for the GAMSAT in March 2011,Dublin. I recently moved to London and for this reason all communication will be via email/skype. Anyone interested in getting prep started then give me a shout. i am sitting the London GAMSAT tomorrow with minimum study as a trial run.

thanks,
    Dave

Hi dave,
    I d def be interested in a study group, i live in sligo but am up in dublin ffrom sunday to wednesday every week. i did the gradmed course, n did the gamsat in sept but only got 55, so really wanna get it this time. if ur still interested let me know

Goonerette wrote: »
    Great idea! :D I'm thinking of sitting it next year. I don't have a science background so September would be too early for me. I'm not really sure where to even begin studying so it would be great to meet up with others who may be in a similar situation.

Let us know where you're based.

just wondering if ye are still doing it in march, would ye be up for doing a study group in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gen10

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows anything about the scholarship that UL offer for GEM? I've seen the pdf on the website and think I would qualify. Just wondering if anyone has managed to find out anything more about it. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 mednow

For sale: Full set of Gradmed notes (Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Written Communication).
    Also full set of Ozimed papers (10 complete practice papers).
    Also textbooks: Organic Chemistry for Dummies, Physics for Dummies (plus workbook), Chemistry for Dummies (plus workbook).
    Highest offer secures, living in Dublin area
    Please contact me at snip

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Hey everyone,

I will be taking the GAMSAT for the first time this March and am looking for a bit of advice. Having only started studying this January are there any areas in particular which I should be focusing on over the next 2 1/2 months?

I'm in college in U.C.C, currently balancing GAMSAT study with my final year studying Applied Psychology. I did Biology and Chemistry for my LC and got an A and B. My basic knowledge in these areas still seems fairly good, although I've read that the standard is of 1st year University level. I've never done physics before although I've started learning the basics online.

I have plenty of experience writing essays in college and have a good flair for understanding texts and logical reasoning in S1.

At the moment I am working through Organic Chemistry and doing plenty of Section 1 questions under timed conditions. My room mate (currently studying medicine) thinks that I would be best off focusing my attention on the trio of Bio, Chem and Physics.

Thoughts/Advice?

(Also anyone interested in a study group in Limerick or Cork can PM me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hey, I am looking to purchase ozimed papers or other practice material 2nd hand but in decent condition. They are crazy expensive on the internet for what you get. Do you still have some? How much do you want for them, I need them nice and cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

kapow wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I will be taking the GAMSAT for the first time this March and am looking for a bit of advice. Having only started studying this January are there any areas in particular which I should be focusing on over the next 2 1/2 months?

I'm in college in U.C.C, currently balancing GAMSAT study with my final year studying Applied Psychology. I did Biology and Chemistry for my LC and got an A and B. My basic knowledge in these areas still seems fairly good, although I've read that the standard is of 1st year University level. I've never done physics before although I've started learning the basics online.

I have plenty of experience writing essays in college and have a good flair for understanding texts and logical reasoning in S1.

At the moment I am working through Organic Chemistry and doing plenty of Section 1 questions under timed conditions. My room mate (currently studying medicine) thinks that I would be best off focusing my attention on the trio of Bio, Chem and Physics.

Thoughts/Advice?

(Also anyone interested in a study group in Limerick or Cork can PM me!)

Hey kapow,

Organic chemistry for dummies, is a must. In terms of the actual GAMSAT one can spend an immense amount of time learning off chemistry, physics and all that, but its all relative to what comes up in the exam. In fact once you understand most common reactions, basic physics formulas and general essentials like that you're flying it. Practice actual test questions to weed out your weak spots and focus your study on those.

The hardest thing 1st time around sitting GAMSAT is timing. I wish that my 1st time (ended up with disappointing 54) I did practice tests, and TIMED them. Even that aspect brought me up into the 60's 2nd time around. Don't forget about your essays though, I practiced, practiced, practiced and an 87 on the essay section bolstered my overall score big time on my second whack. If you have a flair for essays then use it to your advantage and don't stop practicing them. Good luck on your 1st attempt:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coffee maniac

Hi Im taking the GAMSAT in Sept In uk and want to set up a study group ..

Hi ,

I have just done my second GAMSAT section one practice test and Im ashamed , really ashamed to say that i only got 26 out of 75 right ..
    I do not understand whats going on here , Im a smart person , I have won poetry compitions before and even had a short story published in a childrens book ontop of me being in my final year of Biomedicine ..

This is really upsetting me , does anyone have any tips ? can I improve on this section with practice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Hi ,

I have just done my second GAMSAT section one practice test and Im ashamed , really ashamed to say that i only got 26 out of 75 right ..
    I do not understand whats going on here , Im a smart person , I have won poetry compitions before and even had a short story published in a childrens book ontop of me being in my final year of Biomedicine ..

This is really upsetting me , does anyone have any tips ? can I improve on this section with practice ?

Yes you can definitely improve that section with practice. Get Examkrackers MCAT 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning. It's basically the same type of material as the GAMSAT Section I. It also explains the reasoning behind choosing each question, whether right or wrong. After doing lots of the practice tests between now and September your score should improve!

• Advertisement

Hey , Thanks , it can be disheartening, I ordered that book there so hopefully i'l improve. Have you sat the GAMSAT? I know I can learn chemistry but I need to get some kind of chemistry workbook to help me practice actually answering the questions !

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Hi all,
    I've been surfing over the last few days and haven't checked my mails. As such I've missed a few about last minute GAMSAT applications. Most of these are redundant because the deadline is gone so all I can say is I'm sorry about that. If anyone wants any advice on what to study over the next 6 weeks feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to answer as long as the question hasn't already been answered on boards. Almost everything I know about GAMSAT is in page 1 of this thread but I might have missed something.
    Good luck in March!

Bio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Biologic wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've been surfing over the last few days and haven't checked my mails. As such I've missed a few about last minute GAMSAT applications. Most of these are redundant because the deadline is gone so all I can say is I'm sorry about that. If anyone wants any advice on what to study over the next 6 weeks feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to answer as long as the question hasn't already been answered on boards. Almost everything I know about GAMSAT is in page 1 of this thread but I might have missed something.
    Good luck in March!

Bio.

You weren't surfing, you were boozing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Amanda1981

Anyone interested in forming a study group in Limerick or clare for March 2011 exam?

Has anybody sat the GAMSAT with the help of Exam Krackers MCAT verbal reasoning ?

Has anybody sat the GAMSAT with the help of Exam Krackers MCAT verbal reasoning ?

Yup and highly recommend it- brought me up by 9 points in SI and solutions show where you make silly mistakes

etymon wrote: »
    Yup and highly recommend it- brought me up by 9 points in SI and solutions show where you make silly mistakes
    Cool just needed to hear that because I got it the other day and I did the 1st test and did woeful but the 2nd and 3rd improved alot but my problem is the timing , Im trying to answer the 40 questions under GAMSAT timing which would be about 56 minutes and i'm really struggling :-(

any tips for handling the timing ? and not getting stressed , when I realised that im running out of time I start getting my answers wrong all over the place ha

Two tips: if you don't know the answer pick one and MOVE ON no matter how much it annoys you and secondly, there is always one Q (usually at the start) in SI with a huge graph or pedigree chart or flowchart that is NASTY- use your ten minute reading time to do it in your head and get it out of the way. I saw people still reading it ten mins into actual exam which is where time starts running out.
    Good luck- do loads of practice Qs and essays at this stage and you'll be grand!

etymon wrote: »
    Two tips: if you don't know the answer pick one and MOVE ON no matter how much it annoys you and secondly, there is always one Q (usually at the start) in SI with a huge graph or pedigree chart or flowchart that is NASTY- use your ten minute reading time to do it in your head and get it out of the way. I saw people still reading it ten mins into actual exam which is where time starts running out.
    Good luck- do loads of practice Qs and essays at this stage and you'll be grand!
    Just wondering , did you use any other book sto helo you with verbal reasoning and if so which ones so I can get them !!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seamus bond

Just checked back on these gamsat threads (I used to read them all the time last year) and thought that maybe I should contribute my own experience just in case it is of use to someone.
    And first of all thanks to eytmon, biologic and all those others who took time to answer questions and share their thoughts and experiences. Even though I never posted anything myself, I found the threads a great source of info.

My Background: I have a science degree but its all maths and physics and no biology and chemistry. I don’t even a have leaving certificate biology and chemistry.

Preparation: I started in February 2010 and had a total of 8 weeks to study full time for the exam. I needed all of this time. In fact I really wouldn’t recommend doing it in any less although I have met people who only did 3 weeks and even one who only studied for a week. I think these people are exceptions though. The more time the better. Depends on your own background of course. As was said before you don’t need a year but I’d definitely leave a few months, more if your working too.

Gradmed Intensive Preparation Course: I did the intensive course which is run over 3 weekends coming up to the exam. I’ve read varying reviews of what people thought of the gradmed courses and I agreed with some of what is said. For a start they are expensive. I paid about 1200 for the intensive course. I did the course since I didn’t have biology or chemistry and was trying to wade through biology and chemistry textbooks. This was taking far too long. The best thing that the course did was cut out all the stuff I didn’t need to know and steer me towards that I did need.
    The biology section was really covered really well. The teacher seemed to have a firm handle on gamsat, was good at providing examples of the type that show up on the exam and was easy to follow. Without this I would not have gotten through.
    I never really got to grips with the chemistry. I found the 2 days weren’t enough. I’d say I guessed about 30 chemistry questions on the exam in the end. That said it did help to some degree, but it could have been a lot better.
    I found the day of physics was great revision. It also helped me focus in on what I really needed to know and helped me with the approach to questions. Not sure what someone with no physics would think of it. Might have been too much material in too little time.
    The essay writing was useful but I think the most important thing for that section is sitting down every day and practising writing an essay in half an hour. No course can do that for you.
    Overall I have to say that without the course I would not have gotten a place but its certainly not the be all and end all. Thats only me though. For someone with no biology and chemistry, who doesn’t mind spending some money and has limited time I would recommend it. For people who do have chemistry and biology I’m not sure its worth it, provided you have a good idea of what you need to study.

Exam: sat Gamsat in Dublin in March 2011

Results: 59, 59 61. Giving me a 60.

Experience so far: The course is tough but its good to be pushed. There are 80 in the class in UCD. About 30 of those are form north America, which is great. The class get along well and although everyone wants to do well, people share notes and tips and are happy to help each other. The attitude is generally, in my opinion that we are in this together and will get through it together. There’s an excellent post here http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/university-college-dublin-medical-school/46062-course-information-impressions.html on the UCD program, so I’m not going to go into any more detail.
    The only other thing I would say is that in comparison to my original degree the program is very well run. It really is a different experience altogether. Although the program is not perfect the UCD staff are dedicated to providing a high quality program and feedback is welcomed from students. I don’t know anything about the other colleges so cant really advise on which is best for you.

Few Exam Tips: Don’t get into the habit of studying in the afternoon and late at night. Better to have your clock working at the same time as the gamsat. This may sound obvious but I did it and lived to regret it. I ended up mucking up one of my essays just because the tiredness kicked in.
    Which brings me to my next tip. Even if you have made a complete hash of one of your essays, hang in there. Try to get your head together and do a good second one. And the same for the afternoon. Put it behind you and have a go.
    The biology mentor in the gradmed course recommended that you should make sure you get your strong questions right. You’ll probably have to guess a few questions in the end anyway so better to have the ones your good at definitely in the bag. I completed all the physics, then biology, then the chemistry I thought I could manage and then guessed the rest when I had no more time left.

Finally I wish anyone that reads this and is sitting the exam the best of luck. It’s a tough day but its not the worst thing you could ever have to do.
    I’m glad I put in the work now. Although having read some of the posts about conditions and careers of doctors I’ll have to see wait until 2014 to see if it was all really worth it ; )

Hope the above is some help to someone
    All the best

Advertisement