Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think the separate schemes you mentioned were actually major resurfacing jobs along two stretches of the R132 - Santry Cross to Collinstown Cross & Cloghran Roundabout to Pinnock Hill Roundabout - there's AFAIK nothing about dualling in those schemes. However, the actual dualling works are taking place from Collinstown Cross to the Airport Roundabout - 1.3km approximately.

Wonder if anyone can confirm if the above mentioned resurfacing jobs were carried out - I haven't been along the R132 between Santry and Swords lately.

Many Thanks!

yep, the road was resurfaced from Swords to the RAB at the northern edge of the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Doesn't look like they did anything yesterday......... :(

M1D3Upgrade.jpg
    m1260112.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

celticbest wrote: »
    Doesn't look like they did anything yesterday......... :(

Hmmm. I see cones....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Whilst not denying that the outside lane merge was a poor idea, what does it say about drivers in this country that some six months after this section was completed (and now with decent warning signage in advance) we're still having collisions at this point?

Why is it that there are still outside lane hogs who are willing to risk, not only their own lives but, others as well in order to get one or possibly two extra car lengths ahead of where they would be if they merged in an orderly fashion?

I know that if I'm travelling on this section of road during the evening rush I make a point of staying in the inside lane (slow as it is) because I'm afraid that some moron will come flying up on my outside at the last minute and then attempt to run me off the road because he has left himself nowhere else to go.

Jayuu wrote: »
    Whilst not denying that the outside lane merge was a poor idea, what does it say about drivers in this country

Almost nothing. :cool:

We have one of the best safety records in the world and as a very experienced driver in the UK/Continent the notion that Irish drivers are especially poor is complete rubbish.

On the other hand, till the NRA came along Irish road engineering, quality, layout, lines, signs etc were world-beaters - in terms of crapness.

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hmmm. I see cones....;)

Third day on site and still nothing happening apart from some cones being put down ( ^^Thanks Wild Bill ;))

M1270112.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wild Bill wrote: »
    We have one of the best safety records in the world and as a very experienced driver in the UK/Continent the notion that Irish drivers are especially poor is complete rubbish.

On the other hand, till the NRA came along Irish road engineering, quality, layout, lines, signs etc were world-beaters - in terms of crapness.
    Indeed I would pretty much rate Irish drivers about middling - I have rented cars and driven abroad and seen some better places, lots of worse ones. Is it our island mentality or what that leads us to believe this?
    Third day on site and still nothing happening apart from some cones being put down ( ^^Thanks Wild Bill ;))
    Patience guys patience! There are 10 more months to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I drove up and down the M1 today and didn't notice anything apart from the VMS signs, cones and other warning signs. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any road markings burned off yet (so as to prepare for moving the traffic to the Hard Shoulder and Left Lane each way). Maybe the cones have been place prematurely to mentally prepare motorists for the upcoming works - however, that's just a wild guess on my part.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I noticed that the start and end of road works signs are situated before/after the esturay bridge. I do hope that this is not where the three lanes will start/finish and they continue on to the lissenhall flyover.

sgarvan wrote: »
    I noticed that the start and end of road works signs are situated before/after the esturay bridge. I do hope that this is not where the three lanes will start/finish and they continue on to the lissenhall flyover.

Three lanes will be to/from the Lissenhall Junction.

Surprise, surprise, still not a tap done..........

M1300112.jpg

What was the point of giving a start date of 25.01.2012??

• Advertisement

Three lanes will be to/from the Lissenhall Junction.

Surprise, surprise, still not a tap done..........

M1300112.jpg

What was the point of giving a start date of 25.01.2012??

To allow for the cones? :confused:

5 Days in now and still all we have to show of the works is cones along the central median.........

M1310112.jpg

Are they doing any work in the field beside the North bound off ramp at Lissenhall?
    I seen diggers moving around in there one day this week

Are they doing any work in the field beside the North bound off ramp at Lissenhall?
    I seen diggers moving around in there one day this week

It just seems to be were the site offices are?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Those works in the field at the interchange are the site compound in place. Seems there has been overnight and daytime surveys being carried out on the existing road drainage for the last few days hence works have started and is the reason why the cones are out. Looks like the proper traffic management will kick off for full now as those surveys look to be nearly completed.

Those works in the field at the interchange are the site compound in place. Seems there has been overnight and daytime surveys being carried out on the existing road drainage for the last few days hence works have started and is the reason why the cones are out. Looks like the proper traffic management will kick off for full now as those surveys look to be nearly completed.

:confused: Surely as this section was only opened in 2003 all underground utilities would have been mapped out as part of the original build and hence there should be no requirement to redouble the work again now.

When the first phase of work began on the D3 upgrade from Junction 2 to Junction 3 works moved in overnight and began immediately.....

Day 6, guess what.............
    M1010212.jpg

Still nothing but CONES!!!!!

Also for the duration of the works would it not be possible to have the lane drop at Junction 3 NB in the interest of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

:confused: Surely as this section was only opened in 2003 all underground utilities would have been mapped out as part of the original build and hence there should be no requirement to redouble the work again now.

When the first phase of work began on the D3 upgrade from Junction 2 to Junction 3 works moved in overnight and began immediately.....

Day 6, guess what.............
    M1010212.jpg

Still nothing but CONES!!!!!

Also for the duration of the works would it not be possible to have the lane drop at Junction 3 NB in the interest of safety.

I imagine H&S reasons alone would dictate that the ground to be dug would be manually scanned again no matter what map / drawings Eddie the Engineer could produce on-site. Otherwise we could see a crispy JCB driver chasing Eddie around the motorway some evening (and you know how bad the traffic is in this area already!!) :D

I'd say the steel barriers will have to go down along the route as well to allow workers stay in close proximity to live lanes. The workers are probably too scared to go out along the route to put them down given all the crashes at the join in the evenings :D

Today FM traffic announcements annouced at 6pm this evening that a change in speed limit will occur from midnight tonight. All signs will be in place by then.

Maybe we will see some progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Today FM traffic announcements annouced at 6pm this evening that a change in speed limit will occur from midnight tonight. All signs will be in place by then.

Maybe we will see some progress

Yeah here's the alert they read out (from aaroadwatch) and also a 2nd one about nightly lane closures (presumably to put traffic management and barriers in place)

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=125284

From midnight a new speed limit will come into place on the M1 in both directions between J3 Swords/Drynam and J4 Donabate
    A new speed limit will also come into place on the Lissenhall Interchange (R132). Signage will be in place by midnight.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=125090

Northbound lane closures will operate each night from J3 Swords to J4 Lissenhall from 10pm to 6am until Wed 8th Feb approx
    Southbound closures will operate at J4 also. Some delays can be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's one thing that really annoys me about the future of this work and it's the bridge. It's wide enough for 3 lanes each way but where the right-hand lane in each direction would be they concreted over the whole lot. Why the hell didn't they just tarmac it in the first place? Sure it'll "only" be a few extra days of work but when they're working on the bridge they'll likely have to put it down to one lane each way since there's no hard shoulder.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    <snip>Sure it'll "only" be a few extra days of work but when they're working on the bridge they'll likely have to put it down to one lane each way since there's no hard shoulder.

No, they surely won't be allow do that - especially during peak times. The contractors might have to do the bridge works at night if they need possession of a lane each way during construction activity.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Its the drainage that probably needs to be cctv surveyed to check the condition of it...not the actual locations. You would generally see some degradation and it would need blasting out if the drainage is connecting into it.

cargo wrote: »
    http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=125284

From midnight a new speed limit will come into place on the M1 in both directions between J3 Swords/Drynam and J4 Donabate
    A new speed limit will also come into place on the Lissenhall Interchange (R132). Signage will be in place by midnight.

Road down to 100km.

Road down to 100km.

Much better than the last set of upgrade works when it was only 60km/h.

I used the Lissenhall Interchange yesterday and noticed nothing in the line of road works there - let's hope thing start moving on the M1 now that a special speed limit is in force there since last night. I believe there's also a speed limit on the R132 through Lissenhall - is it 60kph? - can anyone confirm?

Many Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

went this way today,
    going South the limit drops to 100 south of the estuary, and then down to 60 near the Malahide road overbridge. It then goes back up to 80:eek: immediately after the 3 lanes appear and the end of road works section

Going north, the limit was 100 from the airport junction and then went to 60. I decided to be a cnut and drive along at 60 and held up a fair few trucks and cars, it's very slow. The limit goes to 100 again near the Malahide road.

The limit is now 50 through the Lissenhall junction on the r132

The speed limit signs seem to be bare metal squares with the round symbols on them, the surrounding bit of sign is very shiny

went this way today,
    going South the limit drops to 100 south of the estuary, and then down to 60 near the Malahide road overbridge. It then goes back up to 80:eek: immediately after the 3 lanes appear and the end of road works section

Going north, the limit was 100 from the airport junction and then went to 60. I decided to be a cnut and drive along at 60 and held up a fair few trucks and cars, it's very slow. The limit goes to 100 again near the Malahide road.

The limit is now 50 through the Lissenhall junction on the r132

The speed limit signs seem to be bare metal squares with the round symbols on them, the surrounding bit of sign is very shiny

Was just about to post this after relaising the change in speed limit yesterday evening and this morning. 60kph is far to slow. Still no work started

Still no work started
    :(

DAY 7 of 'Works'.........

M1030212.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their was signs being put out on the hard shoulder of the M50 at junction 3, just before the slip to airport/m1. Im presuming it was for this, as the distance was 800m (i think)

• Advertisement

Waiting for Go......:confused:

Advertisement