Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

my initial thoughts were this game is a game you'd just play once and probably trade after, so i may rent it too... when its out that is

but yeah sounds like they wana ship a few copies first before they get it renting, maybe they do it all the time or just common practice i duno, i havnt rented a game in yonks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heh walked into Smyths Bray at half five, asked for a copy. All sold out except one special edition. I wasn't going to buy it, but then was told it was still only 44.99. Nice :) Not the biggest fan of SEs, but hey it was same price as regular (tenner more for the standard in Gamestop, as usual) and it's a really nice package.

Now, lights off...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

playing through the story now on hard WOW i know they were years developing this but my god it is stunning! dont know about replay value but i dont care this is a keeper title i will go back to again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

playing through the story now on hard WOW i know they were years developing this but my god it is stunning! dont know about replay value but i dont care this is a keeper title i will go back to again

i have seen some blockyness in several places in the backgrounds. Water and lighting though are ace. As for replay /keeping it they have us till the dlc drys up which has me slightly pissed, I mean 5 years in dev and then to give us
    episodes on the disc and then f knows how many more to be paid for as dlc after the free one in july, It's good but I'm regretting not holding out for a goty because of this.

calex71 wrote: »
    i have seen some blockyness in several places in the backgrounds. Water and lighting though are ace. As for replay /keeping it they have us till the dlc drys up which has me slightly pissed, I mean 5 years in dev and then to give us
    episodes on the disc and then f knows how many more to be paid for as dlc after the free one in july, It's good but I'm regretting not holding out for a goty because of this.
    agreed that goty would have been a choice for me too but impulse lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played the first episode, quite impressed so far. The Twin Peaks / Silent Hill / Stephen King (
    at least they acknowledge this, his name being the first two words spoken in the entire game!
    ) influence is very, very obvious but it's a creepy piece of work too. The use of light is clever, and the environment effects are quite impressive. The flare gun is a highlight so far. Most of all I'm enjoying the little details -
    while watching the Twilight Zone parody (Quantam Suicide :pac:) I loved how Wake was still reacting to noises even in his passive state.
    This is a game all about the atmosphere and story, although it certainly helps that the gameplay seems fairly solid so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrianSlipknot

Trading in Football Manager 2010, Alien vs Predator & Final Fantasy XI and getting Alan Wake for a tenner. :D

(Gonna complete the s**t outta it in a week tho and trade it in for Red Dead next week!) :rolleyes:

Trading in Football Manager 2010, Alien vs Predator & Final Fantasy XI and getting Alan Wake for a tenner. :D

(Gonna complete the s**t outta it in a week tho and trade it in for Red Dead next week!) :rolleyes:
    ill buy ff off you!! how much u want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Loving it so far, graphics are stunning probably the best I have see in a game.:o

I love survival horror games and there hasn’t been a decent one in years,

Silent hill 1-4 & Resident Evil 1-3 were great i don’t know why the developers of those games went over on a different direction, wish they would bring it back,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

It really is a great atmospheric game. Would highly recommend it if you like things such as Lost, Stephen King or Twin Peaks. I'll have a full review written up by the end of the weekend. One thing I would say though, is that the game is best played one 'episode' at a time. As in take a break after each episode,maybe a few hours,or wait until the next day. It really adds to the experience in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

iam well impressed with it stunning atmostphere really dark really good game.frighting the ****e out of my self a few times last night especiallly when some one comes in to the room and u playing away with the head set and have no idea that there

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played first chapter last night, I really like it.

As I feared earlier, picking up hidden thermos flasks ruins the immersion a bit, but I can overlook that. Playing this with headphones is the only way to go - the sound design is great, and the score is very cinematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The lighting effects in the game are amazing, but there's some really poor facial animation and dodgy textures here and there, especially during the day time scenes. It's no Uncharted in terms of visuals.

I'm really enjoying it though. it's really well paced and structured. The coffee thermos stuff does slightly affect the immersion and the big massive HUD on the top left of the screen with the constantly displayed objective can be a bit off putting.

You can really tell at times that the game started off life as an open-world game.
    Driving sections and the like

Overall though it's a really solid, well put together game. Voice acting is great, story seems good. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Mr E wrote: »
    Played first chapter last night, I really like it.

As I feared earlier, picking up hidden thermos flasks ruins the immersion a bit, but I can overlook that. Playing this with headphones is the only way to go - the sound design is great, and the score is very cinematic.

whats the idea of the thermos flask that ya pick up???

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Apart from an achievement (and an artificial way of lengthening the game), I have no idea.

i first thought it was to help boost your energy levels seeing that ya pick up so many of them if its just an achievement its a bit ****e seeing that ya have to go out of your way to get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Great game, even though it is short and I thought the ending was a let down, but very enjoyable overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr E wrote: »
    Apart from an achievement (and an artificial way of lengthening the game), I have no idea.

My advice to anyone not started this yet is to not bother going out of the way for collectables, you Can't get them all in one play as some only appear in nightmare setting. So ignore them and enjoy, then worry about them on the 2nd play through if oyu are going for cheevo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

calex71 wrote: »
    My advice to anyone not started this yet is to not bother going out of the way for collectables, you Can't get them all in one play as some only appear in nightmare setting. So ignore them and enjoy, then worry about them on the 2nd play through if oyu are going for cheevo's.

I'd have to disagree. The manuscript pages add a lot to the experience as a whole in my opinion. It's great fun trying to figure out the puzzle and some of them give you information about what's to come, but you don't know when it's coming, so it makes you even edgier.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Got the game yesterday in Gamestop, Collectors Edition was given to me at the desk as it was the same price as the normal version, got Perfect Dark free with it too!

Played the first episode last night, really enjoyed it - even decided not to go out tonight so I can play the game a bit more, sweetness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm really loving it. Plot, characters, great voice work and a great looking world. Lovely little touches here and there. The gameplay is fun but not punishing.
    Oh, and a great soundtrack. I've just finished the second part/episode. I'm loving the soundtrack. Especially
    the great moments at the end of each chapter. They're very well done.
    Not much of a spoiler but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

On to the third chapter now. I'll post my full review soon when I've finished it but it's not bad. Storyline is good in it but it feels very repetitive when playing. It lost a lot of its suspense imo.

You can pretty much tell when things are gonna be attacking you from behind.

One thing I do like about the game is when
    various objects become possessed and fling themselves towards you.
    I thought that was pretty cool.

Already I can see no replay value in this at all. Unless you're someone who wants to go through it to collect all the thermos flasks.... Big letdown in the game for me and adds nothing to it.

Brilliant storyline though, graphics are great but I just hope the gameplay diversifies itself as I continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

good game alright just super irritating when you reserve you big guns for bigger guys but end up finishing the chapter with rakes of ammo.... another survival game.... great , next level I'll let rip, but you loose everything in this games next level!!!! wtf. Of coase you tke the other option of blowing all your best ammo as soon as you get it then your left in parts with not enough ammo to continue past a group of enemies, had to replay the level again due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

hightower1 wrote: »
    good game alright just super irritating when you reserve you big guns for bigger guys but end up finishing the chapter with rakes of ammo.... another survival game.... great.

I'm on my second playthrough now, playing on Nightmare difficulty level and there's a few times where I've run out of ammo and just had to leg it. I'm actually enjoying the game a lot more on this run through, just because it feels more like a survival game than before and adds a bit of tension to it. I never felt like I wasn't going to be able to get through a situation on my regular playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Just finished this now.
    Anyone got any opinions on the ending? Is Alan dead? Is Rose taking the place of Weaver? And was that Nightingale behind her? Leading us to believe he's the new person in control of the darkness etc?...so many questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

hightower1 wrote: »
    good game alright just super irritating when you reserve you big guns for bigger guys but end up finishing the chapter with rakes of ammo.... another survival game.... great , next level I'll let rip, but you loose everything in this games next level!!!! wtf. Of coase you tke the other option of blowing all your best ammo as soon as you get it then your left in parts with not enough ammo to continue past a group of enemies, had to replay the level again due to this.

Yes I was quite bemused when I realised that you lost all of your ammo from episode to episode. I remember at the end of the first saying to myself that that I'd done a great job saving up so much ammo..... Alan wake must have holes in his pockets!

I really like the fact that you can go back and watch all of the cinematics in the extras option on the main screen. It's great watchinfg the recaps from previous episodes etc..... quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've just written a review on my blog if anyone wants to check it out.

http://thatguyirl.blogspot.com/2010/05/alan-wake-review.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

Just arrived from Amazon this morning!

Going to my boyfriends house to play it now.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just arrived from Amazon this morning!

Going to my boyfriends house to play it now.... :D

That was bit of a delay, must have just missed a postal shipment.

I got mine on Friday from Amazon using the free shipping option and all.

I'm close to the end now but I'd love to start it all again and forget everything I know now, or don't know as the case maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just finished it. Really enjoyed it. And loved the ending.

The concept, story and cutscenes are great. Very cinematic. The gameplay is decent but gets old fast, so it's probably a good thing that it's so short. Not much replay value imo. I'm debating whether to trade it in or wait for the dlc. Still a great game though.

Advertisement