Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake??

Options
  • 12-05-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Has anyone played or got an opinion on this new release?

I have been interested in this one for the past 6 months or so but have to say despite the good reviews 9/10 mostly ... The game doesnt look anything special from clips etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have the LE pre-ordered (it shipped today actually:D) and I'm very much looking forward to this. Something with a good single player experience, good story telling, atmosphere, and great graphics, possibly the best looking 360 game to date with the lighting effects.

It's seems sort of like the old skool Res Evil, Silent Hill type which I like.

Sort of like Mass Effect 1, doesn't not look anything special or play particularly well but it's a fecking epic game story and atmosphere wise. That's still my all time no.1 360 game to date.

There is a long thread on this game here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055826138

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

i got that ME1 and think it is pants, cant see the appeal of the game. Its got no direction I have no idea where im going or what im doing.

Am looking forward to AW though. I do like them type of games. I even enjoyed alone in the dark flawed as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

i got that ME1 and think it is pants, cant see the appeal of the game. Its got no direction I have no idea where im going or what im doing.

I had the very same experience myself, coulnt understand the appeal at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

any chance its on sale anywhere early?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow night in a dark room with my turtle beach headphones. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

yes it does look like a dark room kinda game all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

This is the first game in so long that reminds me of Resi 2.
    Can't wait for this.

Any of ye been watching Bright Falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

@ chaos - where did you buy it that it has shipped already ?

derv wrote: »
    @ chaos - where did you buy it that it has shipped already ?

I got it from Amazon, should have it tomorrow.:)

The Hut also shipped their pre-orders yesterday. I have RDR pre-ordered with them so should have that next Friday.

SO many good games, so little time to give them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Tis not bad at all.

<Shameless plug>

Check out my review: http://entertainment.ie/game-reviews/Alan%2DWake/43397.htm

</shameless plug>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

smyths in waterford are selling it after 6.30pm tonight.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

how are smyths allowed sell before the street date ?
    looking forward to playing it myself , it looks pretty decent , despite some bad reviews...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Xtra-Vision price:

Normal Edition - 49.99
    Limited Edition - 54.99

Limited comes with a book, bonus dvd and soundtrack cd in a rather nice book style box.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Liber8or wrote: »
    Xtra-Vision price:

Normal Edition - 49.99
    Limited Edition - 54.99

Limited comes with a book, bonus dvd and soundtrack cd in a rather nice book style box.
    I pre-ordered the LE last week for the same price (49.99) as the regular edition in Gamestop. Limited quantities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Picked up the limited edition in Smyths tonight for €50. It's well worth the extra fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Am just wondering. I'm trading in Splinter Cell for this. Do Xtravision do good trade in value?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

Well I got a chance to play the game last night for about 1 1/2 hours before the GF got home from work. So anyway i was sitting there in the dark with the sound cranked up and it was a great experience, fantastic atmosphere and the radio/television broadcasts and the manuscripts you find add so much to the atmosphere. I think the game is a lot more silent hill than resident evil to be honest. The story is great so far and I'm really itching to find out more. That is a good start to a game for me....... and combined with the fact that it kept me away from FIFA WC 2010 for the evening is another very positive sign :D

So to sum it up so far; it's like a cross between silent hill (80%), Project Zero (10%) and Heavy Rain (10%)

Well got my post this morning and no Alan Wake to be seen. Feck you An Post for being such slow fecks, the Royal Mail with 13 times more customers put's you all to shame. :mad:

Ah well gives me more time to finish off some other games. Next weekend will be busy, have to set aside quality time for AW and RDR.

I take that back An Post, just got it now.:D

Oh yes, a few beers for later an I'm all set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Picked up the limited edition in smyths for €44:99 with the loyalty card :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

guy's whats the code for in the special edition? I entered it and it said i would be emailed another code for the episodic dlc in july but it's giving a 500mb download now, and of course being on vodafone BB here it's going to take all day to download :mad:

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    guy's whats the code for in the special edition? I entered it and it said i would be emailed another code for the episodic dlc in july but it's giving a 500mb download now, and of course being on vodafone BB here it's going to take all day to download :mad:

The code is for the DLC as far as I know and thats what the slip says, both editions have them.

I don't know what your 500mb download is though.

Unless it's letting you download the content now and the code you get in July will let you play it. It's like how Steam works maybe? You can pre-order a game and download it early but the unlock code won't come out until the release date. Thats just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

calex71 wrote: »

From Wikipedia
    Limited Collector's Edition
    The limited collector's edition of Alan Wake, packaged in a case resembling a hardcover book, consists of the game, a 144-page book entitled The Alan Wake Files, a soundtrack CD, a code redeemable for the game's first add-on episode, and an Avatar shirt and Theme.[18] The limited edition also includes a number of making-of videos, an unreleased trailer from 2006, and developer commentary that is installed to the hard drive or memory unit and enabled in-game.[19]

Sounds like it's the commentary and videos that yer downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Picked it up earlier, gonna give it a go in a few hours. I'm really looking forward to playing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

For those of you who picked up the collectors edition in smyths, did ye already have it prebooked or did ye just go in and pick it up? and also is it worth picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Picked up my Collector's edition there. I usually don't go for them but damn if it isn't nicely presented and has some good stuff in it. Possibly my fav collector's edition since Fallout 3's lunchbox! Installing game now, looking forward to playing it now.

EDIT: I had it pre-booked in GAME and it looked like only pre-orders were getting Collector's editions. Not sure what the story is with Smyths

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Got it in Smyths for 45.

Just finished the first episode and loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

picked it up to day will give it a spin later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Great, none of the xtravisions near me have it to rent until next week, starting to think they do this deliberately for short single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Do they have it to buy now??

If so, thats just mean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

-=al=- wrote: »
    Do they have it to buy now??

If so, thats just mean!
    Yep, they said there were "shortages" yet there were plenty of retail copies there, bullcrap.

I refuse to pay €50 for a game that I'm going to complete in 3 days and has basically no replay value, no matter how good it is.

Advertisement