Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ACTUALLY prefer women with no makeup?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

To say it's self-imposed is far too simplistic. Preoccupation with beauty is everywhere. We all spend a huge amount of time thinking or talking about beautiful women. Pressure on men is increasing but still far from equal.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I don't get how that doesn't work both ways.
    Are the guys on telly not handsome?
    Are the action figures not built?

Are women not attracted to handsome blokes?
    Heavy blokes get no mercy at all.

Don't get me wrong here, it must be nightmare for women having to put up with these pressures, but I don't understand why its just some unavoidable woman specific thing.

It's the proportion. Yeah, those things exist but for every one image of men you'll have nine of women and that makes a difference. This is a bit more controversial, but I think women in general tend to be more insecure than men, because they're taught from birth that they should please. Women are more willing to "settle" for personality if they're loved than vice versa. Ideally, women would be more self-sufficient and not care if they're pretty, or if men think they're pretty, but when social conversations revolve around who's hot that can be difficult. Yeah, women talk about hot men but not to nearly the same extent or degree. When you're a kid did it ever seem like you're Dad gave a crap about his appearance? While many girls see their Mams obsess about their make-up or weight and learn that as a norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yeah, women talk about hot men but not to nearly the same extent or degree.

This has not been my experience.
    Infact, in honesty I have not have very many conversations about hot women that lasted anything like as long as some of the talk of men I have observed from groups of women.

This has not been my experience.

Fair enough. And I'm sure it bothers some men, but they're not encouraged to place as much emphasis on their looks in valuing themselves. So a man might think, yeah I'm not the greatest looker but I'm smart or funny or a good guy. Whereas, with the overwhelming emphasis on female beauty a girl can worry that men don't value those things. Women fancy everyone from Rick Stein to Serge Gainsbourg (no end of ladies for him!) And it isn't just about money. It rarely works the opposite way. A woman's talent is rarely enough to compensate for what's perceived to be plainness/ugliness. New thread - who's the ugliest man/woman you fancy??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

nedtheshed wrote: »
    When it comes to make up,less is always more.

If I had the choice between au naturale or caked on then thats no choice at all.

However minimalist make up like around the eyes or cheekbones = teh sexay.

100% agree..

Less is certainly more. and if it was a choice between absolutely no makeup or just a little well applied I really wouldn't care which.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Like Opinion Guy, they don't understand how easy it is for a woman to feel that if she isn't beautiful she might not be desired or loved.

Do me a favour please and don't put words in my mouth. I understand this very well. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a myth propogated by women...not men. Most guys I know would choose a nice but plain girl, to a stunner who is a total bitch
    It's the proportion. Yeah, those things exist but for every one image of men you'll have nine of women and that makes a difference.

I profoundly disagree with this. Go into your nearest magazine shop and you will see almost as many guys on covers with rippling abs as you do girls on covers with hourglass figures. It certainly isn't anything like a 9 to 1 ratio. Could it be that you are only noticing the female icons of beauty ?

Do me a favour please and don't put words in my mouth.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth. You said it's self-imposed. It isn't. It's aided and abetted by thousands of years of tradition and billions of pounds of advertising and entertainment.
    But that doesn't change the fact that this is a myth propogated by women...not men.

It absolutely isn't. It's only within the last hundred years or two that women have had any influence in propagating the ideal. Women are complicit, now, but who runs most of the companies that depend on beauty to sell their products?

Most guys I know would choose a nice but plain girl, to a stunner who is a total bitch
    Of course, bot a total bitch is an extreme - what about a stunner and a plain girl with similar personalities?
    you will see almost as many guys on covers with rippling abs as you do girls on covers with hourglass figures. It certainly isn't anything like a 9 to 1 ratio.
    Count the ads that trade on male or female beauty. Certainly isn't 50/50. Maybe I overstated, but I still know it's far from equal.

It absolutely isn't. It's only within the last hundred years or two that women have had any influence in propagating the ideal. Women are complicit, now, but who runs most of the companies that depend on beauty to sell their products?
    Well I don't know, but I'd say the number of female executives in women's magazines and beauty products is higher than other industries no? (Haven't you seen The Devil Wears Prada ;))
    Of course, bot a total bitch is an extreme - what about a stunner and a plain girl with similar personalities?
    Well which would you choose between two guys with similar personalities, the one who looks like Homer Simpson or the one who looks like Brad Pitt. Everyone male or female is going to say the better looking partner. But its an scenario. Besides, my observation is that its hard to find a good looking woman is also nice. The two traits are not that compatible if you ask me (ok generally speaking - of course there are exceptions)
    Count the ads that trade on male or female beauty. Certainly isn't 50/50. Maybe I overstated, but I still know it's far from equal.

Yeah we are both exagerrating I guess.
    I'll put it to you this way. As a male I do notice the images of toned abs and bulky shoulders in the media. I have tried numerous times over the years to lose the gut and pump the guns. Each time failing. In the last week I've had women tell me I should lose the gut. I should add - I am quite fit, just not lean. On one level my thoughts on this are 'f*ck people and their opinions'. But on another it does make me self-conscious. It does stop me from taking off my shirt at the beach say (not that there's much occasion for that). Even if they deny it, all guys are aware of the media image of the guy with a 6/8pack, big pecs and delts. Most would like to have such a figure. But generally even thou I feel all that, I pretty much just go 'meh whatever' (except for in specific circumstances). Truth is also I'm well aware that whats more important than all in how people relate to me is simply to carry yourself with self-confidence (whatever your physique is)

Truth is also I'm well aware that whats more important than all in how people relate to me is simply to carry yourself with self-confidence (whatever your physique is)

We've found something we agree on ;) You're better off being average looking and confident than beautiful/handsome and insecure. I've known some truly beautiful girls who couldn't bear to look in the mirror and girls and guys who've had huge influence on the opposite sex cos they believed in themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

We've found something we agree on ;) You're better off being average looking and confident than beautiful/handsome and insecure. I've known some truly beautiful girls who couldn't bear to look in the mirror and girls and guys who've had huge influence on the opposite sex cos they believed in themselves.

But surely if that is indeed the case then the problem is purely one of self imposition.

• Advertisement

But surely if that is indeed the case then the problem is purely one of self imposition.

No, I don't think so. They're the exceptions, not the rule.

No, I don't think so. They're the exceptions, not the rule.

Then what is the rule ? Sorry I'm confused. You are kind of arguing against yourself in your last two posts

I'm not. Not everyone is going to display the same behaviour. We live in a society preoccupied with female beauty. Most women internalize prevailing values as they mature. Some have a steely possession that allows them to succeed regardless. It's the importance of determination - so someone like Madonna became a sex symbol where many technically better looking women failed. All I meant that is if you're to be born with beauty or confidence you're better off with the latter. The funny thing is that for all the attention we labour on beauty it means very little to its possessor unless they believe in it too. I don't see any contradiction in what I've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

liah wrote: »
    And for any girls reading this, have you ever had a man think you weren't wearing any makeup when you actually were?

Yep, ws talking to my ex and his friend about this before and they hadnt a clue! I have never gone in for the foundation look mainly because even the palest foundation in any brand just does not suit my Irish skintone. Simple as.

The alternative that I have been able to live with is tinted moisturiser, its not as heavy as foundation and covers up my uneven skintone without looking like im wearing make up atal. Throw in a bit of highlighter and bronzer and im done. Night time I would focus on the eye make up, think it carries more of an impact that layering on foundation.

Growing up through my teens I never ever wore makeup, apart from going to teenage discos! I only recently "got into" makeup at college even then it was only on nights out. I would say I have only applied the above minimal routine for the day times in the past 12 months and not even every day! Maybe three days out of seven!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NJR

Love it when a guy comments on how he loves the natural bare faced look when most girls are wearing makeup :)
    Think its all about the complexion really. I am naturally pale (when the sun aint shining!) so i wear some makeup just to make me look more healthy. The difference that a little colour and eye makeup can make to pale skin paired with fair hair and lashes is great. That said, give me a summer tan and id be happy with just a little eye makeup :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

depends on how good their skin is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I 100% prefer women without make-up, no question.

If a woman must were make-up then I prefer it to be understated and well applied, something you don't often see but when you do see it, looks great (I'll admit that). :)

Ironically, it's when many women most want to look their best that they slap on the make-up with a trowel and go for garish colours for their eyeshadow, lipstick etc, and end up looking like clowns that escaped from the circus to go to the pub on a Friday night :( Unfortunately most young women end up learning how to apply make-up by trial and error and don't know much about what colours suit their skin type, how much to apply, subtle tricks etc and generally don't learn that 'less is more'. It's not their fault because it's not something that is 'taught' in most cases.

What's worse is fake tan, I despise fake tan even when well applied. A total waste of money imo. To me even real tans do not look healthy at all, they look the complete opposite but perhaps that's because I'm a scientist and understand what has happened to the skin to make it tan... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I 100% prefer women without make-up, no question.

If a woman must were make-up then I prefer it to be understated and well applied, something you don't often see but when you do see it, looks great (I'll admit that). :)

Ironically, it's when many women most want to look their best that they slap on the make-up with a trowel and go for garish colours for their eyeshadow, lipstick etc, and end up looking like clowns that escaped from the circus to go to the pub on a Friday night :( Unfortunately most young women end up learning how to apply make-up by trial and error and don't know much about what colours suit their skin type, how much to apply, subtle tricks etc and generally don't learn that 'less is more'. It's not their fault because it's not something that is 'taught' in most cases.

What's worse is fake tan, I despise fake tan even when well applied. A total waste of money imo. To me even real tans do not look healthy at all, they look the complete opposite but perhaps that's because I'm a scientist and understand what has happened to the skin to make it tan... :/

That's exactly how I think, but I'm wondering how different the replies to your posts will be compared to mine since you have all those lines under your avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

amacachi wrote: »
    That's exactly how I think, but I'm wondering how different the replies to your posts will be compared to mine since you have all those lines under your avatar.

i must have missed that amacachi. Was on hols for most of this thread. what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I prefer the natural look but if a woman dabs some on and thinks a little bit of powder takes the shine off her nose -then so what.

Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

My OH says that it is that I am confident enough to go without makeup that he loves.... the inner confidence. Not sure if that if that is a complement or not though :rolleyes:

If I'm putting it on however, he always asks why I'm putting it on as I don't need it which is nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Dean0088 wrote: »

But if she wears make-up for everyday things like hanging out or popping down the shops then she's too high maintaninence for me and is probably a little obsessed with her looks.

I wear make-up when I'm out and about with my friends or in town shopping or whatever, I won't go without it, but that doesn't mean I'm high maintenance or obsessed with my looks. How does wearing make-up on a daily basis equate high maintenance? I would say high maintenance girls are the ones who are clingy and needy and draining to be with; the ones who you have to watch what you say when you're around them. Make-up has nothing to do with that and I'm sure there are plenty of au naturale girls who are high maintenance.

Personally, I wear make-up every day when I'm out and about because I've had problems with my skin with acne etc and have the battle scars to prove it. I prefer not to bare my scars for all the world to see because they're unsightly and I'm embarrassed about them, not to mention that all my friends have flawless skin and I don't want to look like a troll next to them.

I'm not obsessed with my looks or vain, I just want to feel better about my appearance, and I would bet all my money that most people who wear make-up every day like me are in a similar situation.

*exhale* \rant over :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

a woman who needs make-up to look or feel good is a no no in my book, fair enough, slap it on every now and then if you so wish but don't depend on it

nothing worse than seeing someone out a few times who looks ok at pub/restaurant but whose attractiveness rating drops alarmingly the morning after...ugghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i prefer a girl with little make up cause to much make up to me makes them look worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I think age plays a part in the answer to this question by OP.

On young girls (<20) I consider that there's usually no need nor benefit to wearing make-up.

For women older than that, a little make-up is as much as they'll usually need.

Once women get into their 30's & 40's the strategic use of make-up can prolong the "young, fresh" look, but again only by wearing a little. Like most contributors to this thread I think the "trowel-applied" look on a woman is a turn-off.

Women are fortunate to have this option. For men, if you look old in your 40's there's not much you can do about it.

If a woman over 30 yrs dresses up for a night out/special occasion, but does not wear any make-up, it can take away from the overall appearance. That's why every "make you look great" reality show (e.g. 10 years younger & Gok) on TV includes the old faithful "high heels and lipstick" trick at the end to enhance the appearance about the outfit that they've spent the last 20 minutes putting together. All of those shows aim for a fairly "natural" look, but that simply means wearing make-up sparingly.

If I'm absolutely honest, I would say that a woman who wears the "high heels & lipstick" well, and with confidence, will always appear more feminine to me than one who does not. That's social conditioning, probably, as I can't think of any anthropological rationale for this.

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

much prefer the natural look ,a girl who wears alot of make up is usualy an insecure person and thinks she isnt attractive thats just too my experience though ,but remember theres someone out there for everyone ,

while a very small bit of make up is ok ,i despise these orange face girls ,and fake tan and panda eyes ,why would anyone want that all over them.it looks rotten

but anyway im lucky to have found the perfect girl for me who i adore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I always wear makeup to work, but I have a very quick routine of mascara, concealer, tinted moisturiser, eye liner and maybe some highlighter. I do have to dress up for work; wearing makeup and making sure my hair looks nice sets off the overall look. I wear it because I want to look smart and groomed. I don't wear it at the weekends.

I am fortunate to have a clear complexion, but I am prone to flushed cheeks and dark circles under my eyes and so if there is a product that will camoflage that, then happy days :) I don't want to go around with Bosco cheeks if I can possibly help it :-)

Make up is something I use to enhance my features, not to mask. I sure as hell don't want to look like I shot myself with Homer's make-up gun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I genuinely prefer the no makeup look. Irish-looking women (Gaelic/Norman/whatever) is what I find attractive not American looking ones. So pale-ish skin and a few freckles gets the thumbs up.

I'd concur with the "women that know how to put makeup on properly". It seems there's quite few of them.

Advertisement