Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ACTUALLY prefer women with no makeup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Stuff must be different in Meath.

How many 13 and 14 year olds do you know that wear makeup? Those teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

upmeath wrote: »
    most of them.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

1st, 2nd and 3rd years are the worst offenders for slapping on the war paint in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Natural looking make-up that suits your skin tone is best

baz2009 wrote: »
    1st, 2nd and 3rd years are the worst offenders for slapping on the war paint in my school.

Most secondary schools in these parts don't allow it. Only when they get into doss year and the leaving cert cycle do they become brazen and rebellious enough to start chancing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Most secondary schools in these parts don't allow it. Only when they get into doss year and the leaving cert cycle do they become brazen and rebellious enough to start chancing it.

My current school doesn't allow it, but my last one did.
    We had a non-uniform day last Friday and the yung wans were caked in the shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Forgive me for this.......
    liah wrote: »
    blah

blah

blah

blah

This is also not something that could be considered attractive.

Something that someone else, that probably doesn't even know you may or may not ever notice.

Do you want to honestly know what the sexiest thing about a woman is ?

The complete package.

When people ask "what's the first thing you notice about a woman" My answer is 'everything'. (I can go into detail what I mean by that and I am not referring (completely) about their physical features)

When you (or any woman) starts to pick apart minute details of what they may find unattractive about themselves, they are really over-thinking things. There are so many other things that should be more important in life. This idea of 'perfection' that is inflicted on women by the media is absolutely criminal.

Are there some women who need makeup ? Absolutely .....but I don't think the cosmetics companies should be making anywhere near the amount of money they make each year.

I guess at the end of the day, it is what makes you feel most comfortable in your own skin. That should be the only reason to wear makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

I’d love to know the context in which the OP felt the need to ask the question.
    What happened, and who –if anyone- was mean to you today?

Why do intelligent women still fall prey to the Beauty Myth? :mad:

Yes, in all likelihood most men would not notice the difference between finely applied light makeup & no makeup whatsoever.
    Equally so, most would probably agree that for most, less-is-more, especially visa vie the “oompa-lumpa” effect.
    However the question is a bit of red herring i.e. “prefer” in what context?

The business/work environment?
    Looking across the dinner table on a date?
    Doing the ironing?
    The *ahem* slightly sweatier scenarios in life…
    wash out your dirty minds, I meant of course discos & sporting occasions you shameful rascals! ;)

The context really matters e.g. I have really empathised in the past for young female engineers/surveyors who turn up to sites, with lots or a little makeup irregardless, only for particularly inclement weather to set in & the results -usually mascara- to become obvious, whatever the amount applied!
    Similarly the denizens of the Fitness forums will no doubt be able to reel off chapter & verse about the unusual site of female gym goers/joggers etc. working out in all their £29.99 per tub glory….

To be honest MAKEUP is what it is.

MADE UP. A gentle fiction.
    If a lady feels better & more confident with or without, then that can shine through regardless. But, if it helps her confidence to be slightly made up, my belief is that it is THIS behavioural factor that most men will notice more.

Personally I find young women –no matter what they look like physically- with the courage/confidence to walk about blemishes-and-all & dammed be the rest to be more attractive than not!
    Perhaps this reflects an (oh FFS, so clichéd….) “inner beauty” or whatever…no scrub that, it does reflect at least something of an inner strength of mind….which is deeply deeply attractive.
    Surely all men love a challenge?

What is clear is that if we change the question, very few men would prefer a remarkable looking, but nasty women to a more average, but friendly one.
    Regardless of the level of makeup off either….
    Because the one who is ‘worth it’ –really is!

SM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I genuinely prefer women with little or no make up. A girl who can go out and interact without make up or perfect hair says to me that she is more comfortable in her own skin than the neurotic make up monster. That may not be the reality but it's how I perceive things. The same goes for fake tan; I find nothing more attractive than a porcelain skinned girl as they are in such short supply these days. It's all about confidence; a women who is comfortable and confident with herself at all times is infinitely more appealing than one who has meticulous lashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Valmont wrote: »
    I genuinely prefer women with little or no make up. A girl who can go out and interact without make up or perfect hair says to me that she is more comfortable in her own skin than the neurotic make up monster. That may not be the reality but it's how I perceive things. The same goes for fake tan; I find nothing more attractive than a porcelain skinned girl as they are in such short supply these days. It's all about confidence; a women who is comfortable and confident with herself at all times is infinitely more appealing than one who has meticulous lashes.

Said something myself in another thread a while back, wonder if you'll be called a liar and be subject to some amateur psychology like I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good point. Though maybe a little extreme the other way. I think men(and women) prefer the centre. Anything extreme tends to be a turn off. So very fat or very skinny tends to be offputting in men and women. Muscles in men good, looking like a condom stuffed with hazelnuts not so good. I'd say the same of makeup and other enhancements. Women have more of these at their disposal than men. Short legged? High heels will sort that. Small boobs? push up bra. Bland bone structure? Blusher etc etc.

Hahaha, a condom stuffed with hazelnuts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Women wearing makeup is a relatively recent phonomon in the western world, it didn't really go mainstream until the middle of the Victorian era. Back then makeup actually killed a lot of women who used it because lead was one of the main ingredients for many products. Wearing makeup is a completely pointless exercise in vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Like I said, stuff must be different in Meath.

Like I said, stuff must be different in Meath.

I'm not sure what part of the galaxy you're coming to us from, d'Oracle, but Baz has already said they don't allow it where he is (Laois), I know it's not the norm in Meath or Dublin schools. That's a quarter of the country's school population covered. We could probably list more areas in and around Dublin where young girls aren't allowed cover up their faces with mud, but that's not what the thread is about, so we'll rest the matter there. It's done in plenty of parts, I don't know where you went to school but it's not an isolated school rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Would you say the same about a girl who dressed in very baggy clothes, wore no bra, had a bad haircut? Would she be more attractive because she's less "fake," and therefore more confident in herself, since she's not putting effort into looking her best?

Liah I´m not having a go at you as I usually love your posts but I take issue with the comment above (but perhaps this is not how you meant it). I don´t wear make up except on special ocassions except for a bit of mascara on the tips of my eyelashes to make my blonde eyelashes more visible (I guess that does constitute as wearing make-up though) but some women equate not wearing make-up with not looking their "best" and tend to force that opinion on other women. Looking sloppy is not equal to a bare face.

I look after my skin, drink plenty of water, moisturise etc but my skin is still not Photoshop perfect and nor do I want it to be....I get spots, get bags under my eyes if I´m tired and have a few burst blood vessels on my nose from partying too much in my twenties but overall I think I look well and yeah, I´d probably look "enhanced" with a bit of make-up on but I like the idea that all the men I´ve ever attracted have fancied ME and not me with a layer of something on my skin. I definitely get more attention when I do wear make-up but that´s neither here nor there for me. The men who are attracted to me with make-up are attracted to a myth and would probably be disappointed with what they find in the bed beside them the next morning.

Now don´t get me wrong...the natural look looks great on women and I´m not knocking women that choose to wear some make-up...whatever makes them happy but what I do have a problem with is women trying to emulate photos of celebrities that have been photoshopped. You can even buy make-up that hides your pores and makes your skin look "flawless". They advertise these products on telly with before and after shots of women and the after shots have been altered digitally so you´re lead to believe that that´s how you too will look if you buy this product and as a result, there´s millions of women out there who want the digitally enhanced look over the natural look. That´s just plain wrong and I won´t fall into that trap. The cosmetic companys´ campaign for "flawless" skin is overly aggressive....pores aren´t flaws and either are freckles, wrinkles, pale skin or rosy cheeks but I know a lot of women who truly believe they are!! I won´t succumb to that pressure, so I turn over the telly when those ads come on and I don´t buy any girly magazines etc but it´s still pretty hard to avoid it and it still creeps into your mindset even when you consciously try to avoid it. I´ve found myself staring into a mirror looking at the minute details of my face and spotting "flaws" where there are none (it´s just skin) and have had to stop and snap myself out of it...in all honesty, who notices that stuff anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    The men who are attracted to me with make-up are attracted to a myth and would probably be disappointed with what they find in the bed beside them the next morning.
    This is true. Imagine if you took a guy home and he shrunk 3 inches when he took off his shoes.
    I´ve found myself staring into a mirror looking at the minute details of my face and spotting "flaws" where there are none (it´s just skin) and have had to stop and snap myself out of it...in all honesty, who notices that stuff anyway?

The magnified mirrors are the worst. No one is going to see you at 3 times magnification so why give a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

make up is nice once its not overdone as most would agree im sure. nothing worse than giving a girl a hug and seeing make up all along your top:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I generally agree, though I think dramatic make-up a la Debbie Harry or Audrey Hepburn style eyeliner can look fabulous. Everyone seems down on "unnatural" eye colours but I think copper or electric blue eyeshadow in a punky or sixties style can look great. And I often think other women look fabulous with the smokey eyes look. It depends on the context.

My boyfriend is perfectly happy whether I wear make-up or not and what no-one seems to have said is that's important to me. It's part of what I love about him - that he expects women to be flawed, and still thinks we are beautiful. I'm never afraid that a blotchy skin or bleary eye day will make him see me differently and "realise" I'm not pretty cos I know what he's like. He's easy going and non-judgemental about appearances and I'd hate to be with someone who wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Liah I´m not having a go at you as I usually love your posts but I take issue with the comment above (but perhaps this is not how you meant it). I don´t wear make up except on special ocassions except for a bit of mascara on the tips of my eyelashes to make my blonde eyelashes more visible (I guess that does constitute as wearing make-up though) but some women equate not wearing make-up with not looking their "best" and tend to force that opinion on other women. Looking sloppy is not equal to a bare face.

My point wasn't that I thought being barefaced meant being sloppy. My point was that why is one enhancement derided and others applauded? It's "fake" to wear makeup but it's "real" (or at least, "less fake") to wear clothes that hide your wobbly bits, a hair colour that's completely unnatural, and a bra that changes the natural shape of your breasts? Men never have problems with these enhancements but seem to be crying "fake" in relation to makeup.

This point is a bit more developed in the Ladies' Lounge equivalent to this thread that I posted some time back now, if it requires further explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

But what about girls who have good bone structure and features but have bad skin? Nice skin is one of the main things people look for in the opposite sex, albeit rather subconsciously. I have a decent enough natural bone structure, and if I had dark eyelashes naturally and decent skin I'd be very able to pull off not wearing any makeup. But my stupid sensitive skin won't allow that.

I have a lot of trouble believing that that particular flaw could be easily overlooked/even considered appealing. It also doesn't take "layers of muck" to cover it up, just a very thin layer of foundation. Sure, you can even see my very light freckles through the foundation I put on. A lot of people have complimented my skin, saying it looks amazing-- when I'm wearing foundation. They don't even know it's there. Is that still considered off-putting, just because it's makeup?

Would you say the same about a girl who dressed in very baggy clothes, wore no bra, had a bad haircut? Would she be more attractive because she's less "fake," and therefore more confident in herself, since she's not putting effort into looking her best?

Hmmm. I see your point. Particularly on the skin thing - which I'll talk about in a minute. But can I ask you something first - you are being very nitpicky with yourself here - what is your own opinion of how you look ? With/without makeup ? Seems like this is what you are questioning really? No ?

As regard the skin thing. Your comments immediately make me think of my friend. Now shes very attractive girl - pretty face, great bone structure, svelte figure. And when done up for a night out she is a real head turner. But without any slap on she is still very pretty, but is much less noticeable....if that makes sense. And part of it is down to maybe slightly sensitive skin like you describe. But really what I think it is - the times I see her without make up - she looks a lot more tired. And probably she is more tired (working single mum). And I think that this is a key point. Whenever guys see girls without their make up on (girls that wear make up that is), its usually when they are at home, sick, not going out, tired etc etc etc. And therefore they are going to look tired, sick etc. (And correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that is more obvious on a girls face than a guys).
    Conversely another friend, after I complimented her for lookgin fresh after workign all night told me "ah its the makeup". It never even occured to me that she was wearing makeup. (Now this girl does look stunning without makeup too - put when she does but it on its very subtle).

But anyhow the point is...I think that the difference is - a girl with no make up on shows her tiredness (which is usually when they are too tired to put make up on). Make up hides tiredness. I think people confuse tiredness for looks because they are unused to seeing un-make-up-ed tired women.

Anyhow, quite apart from anything else. Going back to my opening point wondering what you were really worried about. Liah, I've seen your photos on the know your loungers thread. My thought was simply wow she's gorgeous. It never even entered my head whether you were wearing make up or not:D

/shameless flirting

• Advertisement

My point wasn't that I thought being barefaced meant being sloppy. My point was that why is one enhancement derided and others applauded? It's "fake" to wear makeup but it's "real" (or at least, "less fake") to wear clothes that hide your wobbly bits, a hair colour that's completely unnatural, and a bra that changes the natural shape of your breasts? Men never have problems with these enhancements but seem to be crying "fake" in relation to makeup.

This point is a bit more developed in the Ladies' Lounge equivalent to this thread that I posted some time back now, if it requires further explanation.

Fair enough but you mentioned a BAD haircut, baggy jeans and no bra. I don´t think having a good haircut (a simple trim of long hair for example), jeans that actually fit you and wearing some sort of bra to support boobs that might actually be painful without one as "enhancements". Having your hair styled and dyed within inches of it´s life, tight jeans that you can barely walk in but make your bum look pert and a Wonderbra that pushes your boobs up around your neck would be enhancements...none of which I could be bothered my backside with on a daily basis.

It's "fake" to wear makeup but it's "real" (or at least, "less fake") to wear clothes that hide your wobbly bits, a hair colour that's completely unnatural, and a bra that changes the natural shape of your breasts?

I think that's a really good point. There's some element of artifice or culture involved in everyone's presentation of themselves, unless they're walking around naked. We tend to overlay the way women choose to present themselves with moral or other judgements - those who wear loads of make-up, or wear make-up everyday etc. are vain or insecure, which may or may not be true. I think many men like the illusion make-up offers, but dislike its practical aspects, smells, smudging, messiness etc. There's something of a catch-22, according to which a certain kind of unattainable (for the vast majority of the world's population) "natural" beauty is fetishised.

I think that's a really good point. There's some element of artifice or culture involved in everyone's presentation of themselves, unless they're walking around naked. We tend to overlay the way women choose to present themselves with moral or other judgements - those who wear loads of make-up, or wear make-up everyday etc. are vain or insecure, which may or may not be true. I think many men like the illusion make-up offers, but dislike its practical aspects, smells, smudging, messiness etc. There's something of a catch-22, according to which a certain kind of unattainable (for the vast majority of the world's population) "natural" beauty is fetishised.

This is a good point. I think I took Liah´s original comment up wrong. I do see your point...I used to die my hair a bright pinky-red in my mid-twenties and I guess there´s no difference to that and layering on the make-up. I would never actually judge another woman wearing make-up on a daily basis but if i´m honest, I would feel kind of smug that I can leave the house without it on when others can´t while at the same time feeling a little envious because they look great and get attention from men and consequently I´d wonder if that´s what I should be doing to be a "proper female". I don´t want to feel this way but I do sometimes. The power of marketing eh? This topic is not cut and dry for me...I don´t like to feel like I´m making some feminist stance on a daily basis by not wearing it...I just don´t particularly like to wear it and I don´t feel myself. I´m not used to it and I don´t recognise the person staring out at me when I look at the mirror. I honestly think I look better without it. Each to their own.

I would never actually judge another woman wearing make-up on a daily basis but if i´m honest, I would feel kind of smug that I can leave the house without it on when others can´t while at the same time feeling a little envious because they look great and get attention from men and consequently I´d wonder if that´s what I should be doing to be a "proper female".

Bravo for your honesty - I think this is really the heart of the matter, from many women's perspectives. The sad thing is how often all of it is made to seem voluntary, when you have to be really strong not to feel like you should look like women in ads, or should try to, or that there's something wrong with you if you don't. The vast majority of men I've met are quite unsympathetic about the pressure most women are under to "look good."

The vast majority of men I've met are quite unsympathetic about the pressure most women are under to "look good."

Why do you think that is?
    Actually that could be a thread to itself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Actually that could be a thread to itself....

Frankly. Because most of the pressure is either self-imposed, or comes from other women. Men, generally do not understand why women obsess about these things so much.

Ninja edit: And before someone says that men don't have pressure to look a certain way and don't understand. Yes we do, you see just as many topless men in the magazine rack as topless women. Its just that men, largely, don't care that much.

Not all, mind, some get it. I think it's a few things. While they do understand to a certain extent, unless you're born a girl, where your dolls are beautiful, the girls you see in books and on telly are beautiful, everyone comments on pretty girls, tells you when you look pretty, maybe cast disapproving looks at "heavy" kids, see your Mom put on make up, obsess over her weight it's probably hard to get it. And then, men are encouraged to reward beauty, even if it's just with interest or desire, and tend to think of the attraction to beauty as logical and natural. Like Opinion Guy, they don't understand how easy it is for a woman to feel that if she isn't beautiful she might not be desired or loved.

Frankly. Because most of the pressure is either self-imposed, or comes from other women. Men, generally do not understand why women obsess about these things so much.

That would be my thinking, although I wouldn't assume to speak for all men.
    Thing is I don't think many of the women who feel such pressure appreciate that.

I've worked in pharmaceuticals and med devices for the last 7 years or so so loads of the ladies I have worked with cannot wear any make up, some of them look great without makeup, quite a few of the dolly bird types look awful without their slap on. Depends on the lady really, to be honest it shouldn't bother you what we think about your make up or lack of it, whatever you feel best with should be the way to go, if your happy, you'll feel happy.

Personally I do like seeing a lady out socially that doesn't seem to be caked in makeup, but then I like the ginger one from Girls Aloud :eek:

• Advertisement

Not all, mind, some get it. I think it's a few things. While they do understand to a certain extent, unless you're born a girl, where your dolls are beautiful, the girls you see in books and on telly are beautiful, everyone comments on pretty girls, tells you when you look pretty, maybe cast disapproving looks at "heavy" kids, see your Mom put on make up, obsess over her weight it's probably hard to get it. And then, men are encouraged to reward beauty, even if it's just with interest or desire, and tend to think of the attraction to beauty as logical and natural. Like Opinion Guy, they don't understand how easy it is for a woman to feel that if she isn't beautiful she might not be desired or loved.

I don't get how that doesn't work both ways.
    Are the guys on telly not handsome?
    Are the action figures not built?

Are women not attracted to handsome blokes?
    Heavy blokes get no mercy at all.

Don't get me wrong here, it must be nightmare for women having to put up with these pressures, but I don't understand why its just some unavoidable woman specific thing.

Advertisement