Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountains Way Route

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I understand that the re route was due to erosion at the heritage site. A victim of the popularity of route?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is the access therefore blocked/removed from the Bohernabreena side?

There's a gate on the path up from Bohernabreena, which I presume is locked. Best to check with the folks at www.dmp.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is the access therefore blocked/removed from the Bohernabreena side?

I think the sign on the opposite side said it was still accessible but it's no longer on the route

Just wanted to keep this thread going for people wanting to do it in future.

I did the route today. My previous hill-walking experience is absolutely nil but have a basic fitness level. I'm writing from a novice point of view here. So I decided it was a fine day to try and tackle this route. I started at the carpark of the Bohernabreena reservoir as I knew the start from Sean Walsh Park was pretty dull so wanted to get right into the countryside.

First few km are pretty handy and the scenery is lovely. I think they could do with adding in another waymarker or two around Glenasmole because I was starting to doubt whether I had missed one.

A load of trees have been felled along the route through the Featherbed's but the route is well marked.

The hardest climb I found was past Cruagh and going up Tibradden but the view is certainly worth it. Onwards to Two rock and Three rock are also tough and I found the going much tougher here in terms of not tripping and going over on my ankle. The section between Tibradden and Three rock was busiest in terms of other walkers and bikers.

After this I was a bit disappointed really with the way. So much of it was spent on roads which were fairly busy with speed limits of 60-80kmph. The majority of which had no footpath and the odd blind turn. I don't know the area too well so no idea if there are other alternatives.

Overall it was a great thing to do and I would recommend people try it. The Tallaght end seems to be quieter and in my opinion it's far more enjoyable. Finished it in 7 hours but had plenty of stops and breaks in between.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

After this I was a bit disappointed really with the way. So much of it was spent on roads which were fairly busy with speed limits of 60-80kmph. The majority of which had no footpath and the odd blind turn. I don't know the area too well so no idea if there are other alternatives.

That is the real downfall on the Way. Unfortunately, whilst you could take the Way more off-road, it would involve great expense and co-operation from land-owners who generally want to minimise the number of people on their land.

Still, some of the mini walks along the Way, such as around Cruagh, Tibradden and the Hellfire Club are great for getting people out without having to worry about routes or nav.

Glad to hear you had a good walk overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

To anyone who have walked the way, I'm planning to walk a one-day stretch of it shortly. I'll be relying on public transport entirely, so I was wondering: how long do you reckon it would take to do the stretch from Tallaght to Glencullen? The website suggests it could be over ten hours walking — that sounds a little over-the-top to me, no?

I thought that would be a good stretch to get in the best of the route while avoiding the worst road walking between Glencullen and Kiltiernan. The times suggested by dublinmountains.ie are:

Glencullen to Fairy Castle: 8.3km, 2.5-3hr
    Fairy Castle to Cruagh:8.4km 2.5-3hr
    Cruagh to Glensamole: 6km, 1.5 to 2hr
    Glensamole to Tallagh: 10km, 2hr

For example someone on this thread.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066792&page=4

...said they did the entire thing in one day and were finished by 5pm. Though not sure if they were walking or jogging.

Anyway, just want to get an idea of timing etc to ensure I get to Glencullen before dark.

Thanks

Lenny

I haven't done the whole thing in one go, but I've done almost all of the route, and from Johnnie Foxes to Tallaght wouldn't take more than six or seven hours for a nominally fit person at a leisurely pace. Looking at the website, their times and difficulty ratings are very liberal. I wouldn't say there's anything approaching a moderately difficult walk anywhere on the route. For instance, they say the walk from Glencullen to Fairy Castle is difficult and may take three hours, but it's a literal stroll, all on roads and trails, and I can't imagine it would take half that amount of time to walk.

Thanks.

Do you reckon Glencullen to Tallaght would be faster than vice versa, saying going from east-west would generally be more downhill? Perhaps I've over-thinking it now....

Thanks.

Do you reckon Glencullen to Tallaght would be faster than vice versa, saying going from east-west would generally be more downhill? Perhaps I've over-thinking it now....

Yeah, I'd say it would be for that very reason. That said, I'm not a fan of the stretch after the reservoir into Tallaght - it's all just road walking. Even before the reservoir, there's a lot of tarmac, so you might want to get that over with early.

• Advertisement

Thanks Donny. To those who have done it, do you reckon my proposed route is the best option for a one-day walk that takes in the best of the route, and is public transport accessible? Even ignoring the need for public transport, it struck that further east of Johnny Foxes, there was a fair bit of road-walking and not much exciting apart from the Scalp, but I'm not overly familiar with the area. Doing the western half of it seems to offer the biggest off-road chunk, plus some opportunities to do some off-trail hillwalking if daylight allows.

The other possibility I had considered was getting a bus to Rockbrook and walking up to Cruagh and starting there to cut out some of the road walking near the resevoir, but not sure if that's as practical as just getting the Luas to Tallaght.

Shankill to The Scalp would be about 7 kilometres and Glencullen (Johnny Fox's) to Rockbrook would be about 14 kilometres. How long these take depends on your rate of progress but you could allow for about 3-4 kilometres an hour on average. That's pausing every now & then to take a photo, look at something etc. Maybe add 30 mins for a quick lunch break - you wouldn't hang around too long today eating your sambos, that's for sure :)

Always double check bus etc timetables and allow a bit extra - aim to be at stop a good 15 mins before departure. If there's one thing worse than a bus that's late, it's one that leaves early!

I would recommend doing Bohernabreena Reservoir to Johnnie Foxes. The bit from Tallaght to the reservoir is dross, don't bother with it.

On that stretch the hardest parts are from Johnnie Foxes to Tibradden so you might be better starting there and walking to Bohernabreena. Turn right at the end of the reservoir and Old Bawn is about a 20 minute walk to get a bus to town or wherever. I much prefer this route as the Tallaght end is much more peaceful, far less cars and has less foot traffic. I'm a lumbering rugby player and did Bohernabreena to Johnnie Foxes in about 4 hours.

Scalp to Shankill is also not bad as a route but I much prefer the Tallaght end of the route.

Just keeping this thing alive. I'm doing the route next Saturday. Anyone been out on it lately? How is the ground? I'm hoping its not too bad, been a fair bit of drying lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Just keeping this thing alive. I'm doing the route next Saturday. Anyone been out on it lately? How is the ground? I'm hoping its not too bad, been a fair bit of drying lately.

Walked from Massy's to Three Rock yesterday; it's fine.

Just an update on the route. I did it on the May bank holiday. The road between Glenasmole and Piperstown is closed but is navigable with care. This thing has burnt and fallen into the road and there are many trees on the road but is passable. It looks like it been like this for some time so hopefully it won't be neglected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This thing has burnt and fallen into the road
    A house that was thrown up during the Celtic Tiger era? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

recedite wrote: »
    A house that was thrown up during the Celtic Tiger era? :)

Whats the crack with the painted rabbits ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is there somewhere to park down by the Reservoir?

Also, does anyone know if there is an access route from the Reservoir onto Seefingen?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

hmmm wrote: »
    Is there somewhere to park down by the Reservoir?

Also, does anyone know if there is an access route from the Reservoir onto Seefingen?

Parking for about 15-20 cars here http://goo.gl/maps/0ZAzs

Yes, I was kindly given these directions by one of the Dublin Mountain Volunteer Rangers (worth following on facebook)

"After walking past the end of the lower reservoir on the DMW climb up the track and find the path between two wire fences at O092223 its on your RHS (right hand side)...path comes out onto road...go left...at next junction go left...at next fork in road keep right...now look for track on RHS O094214 this track goes up through a farm...there is public access permitted but keep dogs on lead and keep noise to a minimum...stay on track to O086197 from here its best to travel NW on track to pick up track running SW to summit...

Return to the farm from the corner of the forest at O083219 there is a clear path with runs SE to the original track you ascended...joins at roughly O092213..."

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    Whats the crack with the painted rabbits ??
    That is the old 3 pence coin. It must have been painted on to bring good fortune, Feng Shui and all that. :pac:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Ireland-Republic-3-Pence-1943-/102068007

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Yes, I was kindly given these directions by one of the Dublin Mountain Volunteer Rangers (worth following on facebook)

"After walking past the end of the lower reservoir on the DMW climb up the track and find the path between two wire fences at O092223 its on your RHS (right hand side)...path comes out onto road...go left...at next junction go left...at next fork in road keep right...now look for track on RHS O094214 this track goes up through a farm...there is public access permitted but keep dogs on lead and keep noise to a minimum...stay on track to O086197 from here its best to travel NW on track to pick up track running SW to summit...

Return to the farm from the corner of the forest at O083219 there is a clear path with runs SE to the original track you ascended...joins at roughly O092213..."
    I'm guessing you didn't find it using these co-ordinates. The first one would be written 092 223 and the entrance to the track would be 094 214. The track is shown on the DMW map.
    Here's the start of it www.loc8code.com/NR1-88-9VJ
    When the warden guy says "there is public access permitted" that is up to the owner, as it's a private farmyard you are walking through, so be nice to the man, he is a decent man and there aren't too many of them left.
    Regarding the forest corner at 083 219; that was re-fenced with fairly high fencing around a year ago and I think the message is don't try to climb over it. Better to return the same way.
    Or else, if you found your way north to the small cairn at the summit of Slievenabawnogue (tricky), there is a way down to the Stone Cross at Ballinascorney.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarrrr

I tried running /walking the route yesterday. Overall it's not a great route with far to much road on it. From "The Scalp to Jonny Foxes and down to where one turns back into the forest for two/Three Rock is downright dangerous.

I didn't complete the route where I missed a sharp turn off Piperstown Road onto Newtown Lane that would have brought me towards the reservoir. Was worried on Piperstown Road where I saw no signage at all on the road and sure enough missed the turn.

Will have to go out another day and try it again now :-(

One wonders is that it for the route? Just neglected where no more work (maintenance/improvements) are going to be performed.

It seems to be the attitude towards some of the lesser used routes around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think there's a whole lot that can be done for the on road sections unless the state starts buying some private land. The section from just outside Tallaght to Johnnie Foxes is quite nice though, I wouldn't be bothered with the rest unless I wanted to say I did the full way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

There's a quieter alternative from Glencullen to The Scalp here; it's about 1.2 km longer.

There has always been ongoing discussion on the DMW regardding access, but some locals just refuse to let people on their land. Purchasing isn't really a viable possibility, land is expensive up there and there's a lot of people living thee with money and influence, so it's possible they've left it for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

There is a provision in the planning permission for the equestrian centre at the unfinished Kilternan Hotel for the restoration of the public right of way between Enniskerry Road and Ballybetagh Road. Planning application: D15A/0453.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mihalk

(Keeping the thread alive...)

I walked part of the way from Kiltipper to Massey's Estate last week. A great walk and a beautiful day out.

I was quite surprised how much of this route is actually on roads. Looking at the start of this thread it seems the original plan included the Hellfire Club and Piperstown Gap (which would be great).

Also at https://www.sportireland.ie/outdoors/walking/trails/dublin-mountains-way?page=1 they say: "The map board in Cruagh Wood shows the trail leaving Hell Fire and crossing the Piperstown Gap into Featherbed Forest but this is not the route taken on the ground, unfortunately".

There was some reference(somewhere?) to a court decision in 2004 - I suppose I am trying to understand why this route is not available as it would be so much safer.

In general I am trying to understand why Ireland has so few walking routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Walked this over two days in May, weather was fantastic.

Day 1 : DART to Shankill, Shankill to Tibradden, then took back way out of Tibradden and walked down to Rockbrock and took bus from there back to Dundrum and LUAS home. Really enjoyed this day, only gripe was the road section between the back of Kiltiernan and Glencullen.

Day2 : LUAS and Bus back to Rockbrook and then Tibradden to Sean Walsh Park. A lot of road on this section. Highlight was doing the Massey Wood spur.

Advertisement